The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

Looking at these scores, it appears that Mahomes played on the Texas Tech basketball team, not the football team. Holy christ! http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-tech/2016-schedule.html

It's tough to blame the QB for a losing record when you score 55 and 59 but still lose.

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at these scores, it appears that Mahomes played on the Texas Tech basketball team, not the football team. Holy christ! http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-tech/2016-schedule.html

It's tough to blame the QB for a losing record when you score 55 and 59 but still lose.

Actually it shows me that what Mahomes did doesn't necessarily translate to the pros. It shows that teams put up tons of points in the Big 12. If Mahomes put up 55 and lost, apparently the other QB had a big game too. Big 12 football is like basketball. The QB is essentially the point guard. Bryce Petty and Geno Smith put up insane numbers in the Big 12 too.

Actually it shows me that what Mahomes did doesn't necessarily translate to the pros. It shows that teams put up tons of points in the Big 12. If Mahomes put up 55 and lost, apparently the other QB had a big game too. Big 12 football is like basketball. The QB is essentially the point guard. Bryce Petty and Geno Smith put up insane numbers in the Big 12 too.

Mahomes offensive system hurts him. That's why we have a chance to get him. Bills should outsmart other teams for a change.

+1 His accuracy makes up for his poor mechanics at the college level - Not sure it will be the same with bigger/faster/better corners covering his receivers. He threw a lot of passes of his back foot in the pocket in that video and his delivery is flawed.

Its great to have a strong arm but when it comes to throwing a ball what goes on below the waist is as important as what you have attached to your shoulder. That is if you want to maximize velocity, touch and accuracy consistently. Consistency in every relevant skillset being the hallmark of a good NFL QB.

Mahomes offensive system hurts him. That's why we have a chance to get him. Bills should outsmart other teams for a change.

He's probably worth a shot round four or later imo. I wouldn't spend any picks in the first three rounds on him. I just see another Big 12 guy that slings it all over, making him look better than he really is. He has all the physical gifts, but he'll need to learn how read a defense at the pro level. I don't think this is something that will happen. He's in a one read Big 12 offense. We have yet to see a guy who can make a successful transition from that to the pros.

He's probably worth a shot round four or later imo. I wouldn't spend any picks in the first three rounds on him. I just see another Big 12 guy that slings it all over, making him look better than he really is. He has all the physical gifts, but he'll need to learn how read a defense at the pro level. I don't think this is something that will happen. He's in a one read Big 12 offense. We have yet to see a guy who can make a successful transition from that to the pros.

Talk this play down because it’s in air raid offense if you please, but this is a prime example of a quarterback effortlessly flowing through the reads given to him. Mahomes makes this throw on his third read- quite contrary to the “one read” title he will eventually be hit with.

As Mahomes begins to drop back, he peeks over to his right to simultaneously check on the slot receiver running the vertical route and the outside receiver waiting at the line of scrimmage as a check down option. Mahomes then subtly glances to his far left so that he can work his progression from the outside-in. Shortly thereafter, Mahomes decides that his wider options would not give the play the best chance of success, so he turns to the receiver running a deep crosser over the middle and delivers a strike.

Everything about this play is textbook. Mahomes’s timing from one read to the next is perfect and the throw is equally as impressive. It’s hard to knock Mahomes for the system he plays in when he operates it so well...

Judge the Player, Not the System

Patrick Mahomes is often penalized for the system he played in. Texas Tech’s offensive system and relative talent level forced Mahomes to become a willy nilly scrambler who took a lot aggressive shots down the field. Mahomes had to be Texas Tech’s offense, the offense lived and died through him. Lost in all of Mahomes’s heroic efforts is a player who is smart, highly aware and able to play one step ahead of the defense. Mahomes is not just a scrambling quarterback, he is an underappreciated pocket passer who happens to also be an excellent scrambling quarterback.

http://www.qbmecca.com/patrick-mahomes/

My love for Mahomes is well known here, so I'll keep this brief

Yes mahomes has his flaws - virtually every QB to ever be drafted has them - but he has enough intangibles when it counts I think.

Pros

- super strong arm, not just deep passes, but the dude throws it into tight spaces as best as I've ever seen (Favre), and this is usually off his back foot! Imagine what he could do when actually taught to step into his throws.

- he has pretty advanced presence in the pocket. He feels pressure and is more than mobile enough to escape it. He doesn't take off early either, he hangs tough.

- he is tough. He doesn't get hurt even though he does run frequently.

- he seems to have "it". Teammates and coaches love him as a leader

- he actually makes reads and goes through progressions!!! I promise you of that! That won't be an adjustment he will have to make (any more than other QBs who aren't "system" guys). He does this and does this well!!!

I know it's hard to overlook that he is a "system" QB....but others have overcome that in the NFL. It's hard to overlook some games where he looked pretty terrible at times (West Virginia game in particular). It's hard to overlook his awkward footwork and bottom half of throwing motion. But again, all of these warts can be overcome, or don't need to be because he is just a good QB who has got it done and I trust will at the NFL level. A lot of his problems have also been reported to have come because of his equal focus on baseball until recently. He can be taught properly.

As of right now I believe will be gone in the first round, we would have to take him at 10, trade back (would rather take an impact player) or trade back into the bottom of the first round and take him if we want him (hell yes I would give up next years 1st). He was given a round 1-2 grade by draft advisory board.

I guess it was not as short as I promised above, my bad....but let's draft us some mahomes!!!

Edited by PaattMaann

Mahomes is a nice thought, but when there's 3-5 QB's rated higher than him (at least so far), he's not the #10 pick in the draft. I wouldn't touch him until late in round 2 or early round 3. The Bills have serious needs at multiple positions to reach someone. I seriously doubt we see a reach in the first round ala the Oakland Raiders of 2000 when they picked Janikowski at 17th.

Mahomes is a nice thought, but when there's 3-5 QB's rated higher than him (at least so far), he's not the #10 pick in the draft. I wouldn't touch him until late in round 2 or early round 3. The Bills have serious needs at multiple positions to reach someone. I seriously doubt we see a reach in the first round ala the Oakland Raiders of 2000 when they picked Janikowski at 17th.

Who do you rate higher than Mahomes?

Carr was the fifth best quarterback in the 2014 draft. Russell Wilson was the same in the 2012 draft.

Who do you rate higher than Mahomes?

Me personally? So I said most boards have 3-5 guys ahead of him, I probably have 3 ahead of him value wise and one tied. Trubisky is probably the least flawed of any of the QB's in the draft this year. He's already a read option guy, which is what he'll be asked to do, albeit faster and against better talent. Along with him, I think Deshaun Watson are both drafted in the first round, potentially before the Bills even pick. Although he could be picked in the first round, I have Kizer as second round value. At this point, everyone from him on down have their flaws. I probably have Mahomes tied with Peterman for value for Buffalo in the third round. It's hard to take a system college guy and say he can run the pro system just the same. If you want a similar guy, you need to look no further than Graham Harrell from......same school years before. Put up ridiculous numbers, but they never really translated to success at the next level.

Carr was the fifth best quarterback in the 2014 draft. Russell Wilson was the same in the 2012 draft.

While I don't disagree, this draft is pretty weak for QB's. I could easily point to years just the same where QB's were picked high in the first round and turned out to be nothing special or even a complete bust. Reaching is more likely to result in failure than success based on history.