The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

giving away your whole draft for a qb?

who does that?

and what gm in their right mind would do it.....

I'd do it.

During the drought we've had Price, Moulds, Evens, Owens and Watkins. The drought isn't due to receivers.

For running backs we've had Henry, Jackson, Lynch, Spiller, and McCoy. That group isn't the problem.

On defense we've had some good years, especially with Schwartz, but still no playoffs.

What's the one constant? What do the playoff teams have that we don't? A QB. And until we get one there will be no winning.

I'd do it.

During the drought we've had Price, Moulds, Evens, Owens and Watkins. The drought isn't due to receivers.

For running backs we've had Henry, Jackson, Lynch, Spiller, and McCoy. That group isn't the problem.

On defense we've had some good years, especially with Schwartz, but still no playoffs.

What's the one constant? What do the playoff teams have that we don't? A QB. And until we get one there will be no winning.

Nailed it dude.

I don't know about Trubinsky but Mitch Trubisky does not have a better arm than Mahomes - no way. I like Trubisky better overall but Mahomes has the most arm talent of the QBs in this draft.

I like Trubisky but there's no sense in pounding the table for a guy who will be gone by 10, and I cannot advocate trading up for a guy who played only 13 games...but I wouldn't be mad at the Bills if they did it.

And you're correct on arm talent. Mahomes has the best a to come out since Stafford.

What about the videos all over the World Wide Web that show these qb's making the throws Taylor can't ?

Were those doctored by the agents too ? Another sad attempt by another Taylor superfan to discredit any upgrade/competition.

127 and 156. Ooooooooh weeeeeee !

OVERTHEMIDDLE !!!!

I don't really see any tight-window throws, or anticipation throws. I see him throwing to open guys or deep throws that are safe as long as they are overthrown.

You must have watched about 4 youtube clips then...watch the full games and you will see plenty of him standing in the pocket and going away from primary reads. You will also see plenty of him "throwing WRs open" - everyones favorite knock against Tyrod. The kid can straight throw, mechanics be damned. All in on the Mahomes train, CHOOOOO CHOOOOOOO!

I missed those...which vids do you recommend.

"I get it. You’re afraid of your team drafting a gunslinger. They’re unpredictable. They make dumb mistakes. Their brand of football gets sloppy.

Many of you will be terrified at the prospect of Patrick Mahomes joining your favorite team. If you’re predisposed to anxiety, he’ll up the volume: He scrambles, he throws off balance, he’ll throw it across his body, and he’ll squeeze the ball into windows that would make Alex Smith faint and Kirk Cousins jealous.

If Mahomes mental-emotional transition to the conceptual rigors of the NFL, look out. He plays the position with the flair of an All-Star shortstop and he’s the most entertaining quarterback I’ve seen in a long time." Matt Waldman

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/02/02/rsp-boiler-room-no-79-qb-patrick-mahomes-off-script-pass-placement/

Edited by jeffismagic

"I get it. You’re afraid of your team drafting a gunslinger. They’re unpredictable. They make dumb mistakes. Their brand of football gets sloppy.

Many of you will be terrified at the prospect of Patrick Mahomes joining your favorite team. If you’re predisposed to anxiety, he’ll up the volume: He scrambles, he throws off balance, he’ll throw it across his body, and he’ll squeeze the ball into windows that would make Alex Smith faint and Kirk Cousins jealous.

If Mahomes mental-emotional transition to the conceptual rigors of the NFL, look out. He plays the position with the flair of an All-Star shortstop and he’s the most entertaining quarterback I’ve seen in a long time." Matt Waldman

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/02/02/rsp-boiler-room-no-79-qb-patrick-mahomes-off-script-pass-placement/

Exactly... B-)

BRETT RYPIEN 6'2" 200lbs, QB,BOISE STATE

You may have heard of his dad.... Brett gets better every time I see him... He epitomizes the gunslinger-type QB... -Snap.. Three seconds... That Ball is OUTTA THERE...

If we don't take a QB at all this year, I am 100% fine with it... Rypien is worth waiting for.

Its not a bad take. The question is, if you take Mahomes in the 2nd, are you gonna start him year 1 or let him learn from the pine while learning to not let that back leg move like a wacky waving inflatable arm flaling tube man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDr-c-88Hfo

Honestly a QB is either good or not, very hard to be bad then get good. Even Alex Smith still isn't that good.

Good coaching goes a long way also even if the guy needs to start week 1.

I don't really see any tight-window throws, or anticipation throws. I see him throwing to open guys or deep throws that are safe as long as they are overthrown.

I missed those...which vids do you recommend.

You need to look at the games he lost, with good Defenses then you will see it. Doesn't mean anything at college level but it still does look good. Honestly I don't know who could be a good QB though. It is crazy how he can just make plays always looking down field is always a plus. Edited by Beef Jerky

10. Buffalo Bills: Pat Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech

" We've spoken to team sources who have likened him to Derek Carr, and others have made the same comparison. Mahomes is also off the charts character-wise, and he may have that "it" factor that quarterbacks need, and several recent busts (Jared Goff, Blake Bortles) don't have. "

Doug likes the "it" factor

" We've spoken to team sources who have likened him to Derek Carr, and others have made the same comparison. Mahomes is also off the charts character-wise, and he may have that "it" factor that quarterbacks need, and several recent busts (Jared Goff, Blake Bortles) don't have. "

Good old Walter. He is just gonna throw a different QB at the Bills at 10 each week until the draft then say "I was right!" if they take one.... whoever that is.

I'm looking into him more, and have an open mind to him. I fear if he is that good of a prospect, after the combine he will rise out of the Bills' reach.

I think all 4 of these guys are going to go higher than the majority of the mockers have them. It does a team no favors to come out and say they like a guy at this point and look at the Jags with Bortles, they kept that extremely close to the vest. Each QB has things that can scare you off, but at the same time each QB has traits that make you come back for more. I expect all 4 will do very well with team interviews and given you have the Browns / 49ers / Bears / Jets / Us / Cardinals / Texans along with some wildcards like the Chiefs and Redskins all likely in the market for QBs I do believe all 4 will be off the board by the time we pick in the 2nd round.

Wow, Goff is a bust already?

I don't like any of these QB's as a top ten pick. I personally would roll with Mahomes over the others if the price was right. The things I watch when looking at QB prospects is how they handle pressure, accuracy, and pocket presence. Throw in a big arm and quick release and Mahomes jumps out for me.

There is a discussion as I said at 13:43 or so on the video where they explain how Mahomes unconventional footwork actually is preferred to get the ball out quickly in key situations. It's not like he is sloppy, he is doing this as an athlete to get the best result which impresses the hell out of me. Compare to shortstop in baseball that needs to get the ball quickly to 2nd for double play.

Looks like Derek Carr to me but with better arm

I take him in the second all day and would certainly expect him to lead this team sooner rather than later

So you think him capable of being "the guy" but he's still not worth a day 1 pick?

Fans have become obsessed with the phrase 'not overpaying.' My philosophy is that you cannot overpay for a QB because they're impossible to win without. Just my two cents.

I was watching some of Mahomes' vids on draft breakdown (great site btw) and this are my thoughts on him

When he steps up in the pocket, and he does that at a good rate, he's very accurate, he's like Tony Romo with a better arm, but when he hangs in the pocket and the bad habits begin, he's mix of Jay Cutler with a bad Johnny Manziel.

I would not be opposed to the Bills drafting him but they need to be sure that this guy is a leader and a coachable hard worker.

I still, think the best QB prospect of this draft is Mitch Trubisky (apparently the Jets love the guy)

Honestly a QB is either good or not, very hard to be bad then get good. Even Alex Smith still isn't that good.

Good coaching goes a long way also even if the guy needs to start week 1.

You need to look at the games he lost, with good Defenses then you will see it. Doesn't mean anything at college level but it still does look good. Honestly I don't know who could be a good QB though. It is crazy how he can just make plays always looking down field is always a plus.

Have you ever looked at the scores of the games he lost? If not, I suggest doing so. He lived in a world where 51 points simply wasn't enough on many occasions.

@FBgameplan

IMO #TexasTech QB Patrick Mahomes is a cross between Stafford & Big Ben. Both are good quarterbacks as is Mahomes.

The historical inclination for the Bills to do is to retain TT (which I am for) and then use their first pick on a DB. This organization seems to be imprisoned by its own timidity. The consensus within the organization and outside is that TT is not the long term solution at qb. In my view he is better than the average bridge qb, yet not good enough to be an elevating franchise qb.

Taking Mahomes with a first pick excites me. But deep down most of us know that is not going to happen because that is not how this sclerotic organization usually acts. My position is because we will have TT (assuming) that makes it even more of a propitious time to select a good qb prospect.

I wrote this in another post a bout Mahomes. This guy is the best QB in the draft bar none. He will be a pro bowler down the line. He is the closest thing to Aaron Rogers and Brett Farve there is.

He makes un believable throws that are Acurate from weird angels and with bad foot work. This guy is the one you want. NFL is not like college. You don't always get a lot of clean pockets and you don't always get to set up and throw on balance or get your feet set. I want a QB that can throw on the run or throw when his feet are not correct and people are in his face. This guy can do that in spades. Go watch him on YouTube you will see something extraordinary. Don't get fooled about the experts saying oh his foot work is bad, His back leg shakes, Blah, Blah, Blah. Watch Chargers Rivers, Watch GB Rogers these guys throw

at all angels, throw with in correct foot work and throw on the move across there body all the time. Who the Fu@k cares how they throw it. Does he complete the passes yes he does. Yes you will be required to do that in The NFL , good one's can pull it off. Well when I watch Mahomes that's what I see. So please just stop the nonsense. If we get this guy a great new Era in Bills football is about to begin.

I wouldn't go betting the farm any of this. For Mahomes the NFL is going to be similar to playing Alabama. A lot of people look real good until the Tide comes in.

Absolutely.. Last time we drafted a QB in a down QB draft we got EJ who was the worst first choice in Bills history as it set the franchise back 4 years at least.

So what's this mean? Never trade down and draft a QB again? EJ and Mahomes couldn't be more different as prospects.

@FBgameplan

IMO #TexasTech QB Patrick Mahomes is a cross between Stafford & Big Ben. Both are good quarterbacks as is Mahomes.

All the comparisons in the world for this kid. I watched footage and on different plays he reminds me of different great QB'S Rodgers, Wilson, Stafford, Favre & Carr but on others he looks lIke Manzeal. I would to take Mahomes in the 2nd rd.

Have you ever looked at the scores of the games he lost? If not, I suggest doing so. He lived in a world where 51 points simply wasn't enough on many occasions.

I like the idea of Mahomes if he's available in the second round. I don't like any of the first round QB's enough to take that much of a risk. However, the fact that he was in that many shoot outs is actually one thing that concerns me about him. No one in the Big 12 plays defense whatsoever. Playing QB in the Big 12 is more like being a point guard in basketball. They distribute the ball, and guys make plays from there. It really isn't fair to hold this against Mahomes but the recent history of Big 12 QB's as pros isn't very good. The Big 12 is about as far away from the pro style of football as one can get. I could easily make the argument that Wentz who wasn't even a D1 player was far better prepared coming out of college.

I like the idea of Mahomes if he's available in the second round. I don't like any of the first round QB's enough to take that much of a risk. However, the fact that he was in that many shoot outs is actually one thing that concerns me about him. No one in the Big 12 plays defense whatsoever. Playing QB in the Big 12 is more like being a point guard in basketball. They distribute the ball, and guys make plays from there. It really isn't fair to hold this against Mahomes but the recent history of Big 12 QB's as pros isn't very good. The Big 12 is about as far away from the pro style of football as one can get. I could easily make the argument that Wentz who wasn't even a D1 player was far better prepared coming out of college.

Carson Wentz was considered one of the most pro ready QB's to come out in recent years based on the system he ran in college.

If Mahomes ran a pro style offense we would never have a chance to draft him. I'm glad he played at Texas Tech because it will scare off people and make Mahomes cheaper to acquire.

Remember, Aaron Rodgers fell because teams were scared he was a system QB and that other Tedford QB's such as Akili Smith and Joey Harrington were NFL busts.

I'd do it.

Give this man all the points. Spot on

Watch the RSP breakdown on Connor Cook. I'm telling ya, he is gonna be good.

Why do you think the Raiders would trade him? They know better than anyone else how good he is and can be. Next season he might become the backup. There is no incentive for them to trade him unless it was for a first round pick. In a couple of years when his contract comes up he might become an asset to parlay because they already have a franchise qb. But as it stands the Bills would have to give up at least a second round pick for a qb they haven't seen play.

I strongly believe that this lumbering franchise has to take an initiative and get their own qb prospect. Would I give up a second round pick for him? Yes. But if you know how the Bills operate it is not something they would do. Whaley and his staff are more comfortable following their forsaken draft board rather than do whatever it takes to address their biggest need.

Ask yourself why the Bills have not had a franchise qb for twenty years? Ask yourself why the Bills in a parity system have not been in the playoffs for 18 years. It's what they do. The record reflects it.

Why do you think the Raiders would trade him? They know better than anyone else how good he is and can be. Next season he might become the backup. There is no incentive for them to trade him unless it was for a first round pick. In a couple of years when his contract comes up he might become an asset to parlay because they already have a franchise qb. But as it stands the Bills would have to give up at least a second round pick for a qb they haven't seen play.

I strongly believe that this lumbering franchise has to take an initiative and get their own qb prospect. Would I give up a second round pick for him? Yes. But if you know how the Bills operate it is not something they would do. Whaley and his staff are more comfortable following their forsaken draft board rather than do whatever it takes to address their biggest need.

Ask yourself why the Bills have not had a franchise qb for twenty years? Ask yourself why the Bills in a parity system have not been in the playoffs for 18 years. It's what they do. The record reflects it.

Oh I agree. I was adamant in hiring Jim Bob Cooter to install a modern offense and to help us select a QB for that system. I have been on board with the Pegulas committing $$$ to hiring the very best QB scouts and coaches including a QB czar that would be empowered to bring in a franchise QB by looking at every QB in the next 3 drafts.

Bills don't put resources in the position and all the Pegula bucks has brought us nothing other than a 4th round pick at QB since he bought the team 2.5 years ago.

Edited by jeffismagic