The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

Oh I agree. I was adamant in hiring Jim Bob Cooter to install a modern offense and to help us select a QB for that system. I have been on board with the Pegulas committing $$$ to hiring the very best QB scouts and coaches including a QB czar that would be empowered to bring in a franchise QB by looking at every QB in the next 3 drafts.

Bills don't put resources in the position and all the Pegula bucks has brought us nothing other than a 4th round pick at QB since he bought the team 2.5 years ago.

You bring up a good point. This organization is not only lackadaisical in addressing the issue but it lacks an ability to evaluate qbs. The Bills have allowed good qb prospects that are available after the first round pass by. For a team that hasn't had a franchise qb in more than a generation it makes absolutely no sense. Russell Wilson, Cousins and Dak Prescott could have been available in the third round. Carr and Bridgewater could have been available with trade downs in the first round. It's just not the Bills way. It is a Jauron/Levy conservative approach to running a team that is.

It's not an act of recklessness to take a calculated risk on a qb with a high round pick. The reality is that you are taking calculated risks with all the players you draft regardless of position. Until the qb position is upgraded, even if it is with a prospect playing behind a bridge qb, the status of this team is going to remain the same.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think the Raiders would trade him? They know better than anyone else how good he is and can be. Next season he might become the backup. There is no incentive for them to trade him unless it was for a first round pick. In a couple of years when his contract comes up he might become an asset to parlay because they already have a franchise qb. But as it stands the Bills would have to give up at least a second round pick for a qb they haven't seen play.

I strongly believe that this lumbering franchise has to take an initiative and get their own qb prospect. Would I give up a second round pick for him? Yes. But if you know how the Bills operate it is not something they would do. Whaley and his staff are more comfortable following their forsaken draft board rather than do whatever it takes to address their biggest need.

Ask yourself why the Bills have not had a franchise qb for twenty years? Ask yourself why the Bills in a parity system have not been in the playoffs for 18 years. It's what they do. The record reflects it.

Yes, they should give up a conditional 2nd today, because he could be their Bret Favre. Maybe there will be a guy that the Raiders really covet, that they can get during the draft with the Bills help, or some scenario like that. He was obviously drafted to develop as trade bait. Christ, he already looks better coached, with more nuance to his game, than anyone on the Bills roster.

What's the worst that could happen, people laugh at them? They already do!

I don't usually post what I think the Bills WILL do, but what I think they SHOULD do.

I don't think he would be ready to start this season, but after next season I think he will be. But of course, the Bills will have invested in some other QB by then.

I'm working with prayers, and voodoo magic (and establishing my support for Cook, so that a few seasons from now, I can say "I told you!").

I know it's not much, but there isn't much else to do on this board, because this team has sucked for so long. It keeps me interested.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I'm working with prayers, and voodoo magic (and establishing my support for Cook, so that a few seasons from now, I can say "I told you!").

I know it's not much, but there isn't much else to do on this board, because this team has sucked for so long. It keeps me interested.

:lol: I hear that

Thanks for an outside the box option at QB.

You have to take him at the right place. If other NFL teams view him as a late 1st/early 2nd round pick you cannot take him at 10. Trade back to 18-24 and get another 2nd round pick.

None of us have the actual boards for NFL teams but indications are that Mahomes can be had cheaper than that.

That's isn't true. You like him, you take him at 10.

If this guy is your QB the next 15 years, who cares if you take him 15 spots too high. Trade back to 25 and watch someone jump to 24 ahead of you, this board would blow up

Agreed

Everyone is always saying BPA, BPA, BPA. That's how the winning franchises draft. Now, this year, I haven't heard a peep about drafting the BPA. Just extend TT or draft Watson or Trubisky or trade down and take Mahomes.

With that said, I will ask the more learned and wise ones out there--who will be the BPA at 10? WR (Williams), Safety (Adams--please! or Hooker), or Corner (Humphrey, Lattimore) or is it QB with Mahomes (or Watson or Trubisky), All positions of need and it seems like the consensus is that the BPA is not a QB but will rather be one of the others and that that player will likely be at least a damn good plug and play starter for a number of years, a starter with one pro bowl year or a multiple pro bowler (all assumimg the medical staff has been replaced!).

Why draft purely based on need when one of our needs will be the BPA. The stars are aligned (because we have so many needs!) so why screw it up? There is no franchise QB and we have the option to sign, i.e., extend the contract of, the best FA QB (who is likewise not a franchise QB but who can be here two more years at an avg salary for a starting QB--crazy but true, look at Sportrac--and who can compete for a wild card with some healthy WRs, a RT via FA who isn't a turnstile and a bettter defense--via draft picks this year and last years' being healthy for the entire offseason). Draft a QB late, continue to develop CJ and maybe we hit the QB lottery next year (I'm now with the draft a QB each year until, we hit--but let's not reach--never seems to work for any team).

Thanks for letting me share!

I'll say it. Draft BPA!

And in my opinion, the BPA for us is not a QB from this draft.

This kid is unbelievable and definitely worth the #10 pick.

He's mobile.

He's well built.

He can make Aaron Rodgers type throws.

Right now people are getting mocked for suggesting that Mahomes is a first rounder...that will change as we get closer to the draft.

When you watch Mahomes it is impossible to not be impresssed. His naysayers argument is that he's a 'air raid system QB.' Again, so was Aaron Rodgers.

All I know is this--Mahomes makes unbelievable throws that put his receivers in great position for YAC. Mahomes routinely keeps eyes downfield when scrambling. Mahomes makes reads as is evident by his turning his head to the other side of the field when his 1 and 2 aren't open.

This guy is unbelievable. He's the total package. I promise, if you're not yet familiar with him you will be soon because this kid will 'shoot up draft boards' post combine.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means

Bill Polian... but he doesn't know anything...

Well, in Buffalo Jim Kelly was already here. His claim to fame with QB's was using the #1 overall pick on Peyton Manning. So he has no record of finding QB gems later than the first overall pick.

He also thinks Chad Kelly is the most talented QB in this draft who is a lot close to Manziel for the wrong reasons than Mahomes.

It's terrible to compare any QB prospect to Manziel unless that prospect has personal problems.

Edited by jeffismagic

The more I see quotes attributed to him, the more I worry about his health. I think he's losing his capacity.

Stark contrast between what Bill was and what he is.

yup, and he could only win one title with manning cause bill couldn't field a defense

Well, in Buffalo Jim Kelly was already here. His claim to fame with QB's was using the #1 overall pick on Peyton Manning. So he has no record of finding QB gems later than the first overall pick.

He also thinks Chad Kelly is the most talented QB in this draft who is a lot close to Manziel for the wrong reasons than Mahomes.

It's terrible to compare any QB prospect to Manziel unless that prospect has personal problems.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard... one does not need off field issues to compare comparably to Manziel athletically

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard... one does not need off field issues to compare comparably to Manziel athletically

They are not comparable. Sorry, Mahome ='s Manziel is easily one of the most ridiculous things I have heard and if that's what Polian is peddling these days he needs some rest.

Manziel is not even the same size as Mahome. Manziel was 6 feet tall, shorter than Tyrod and had small stick legs. Mahomes is 6'3'' 230 lbs.

As for arm, not even close. Manziel had a pop gun, Mahomes has a rocket compared to him.

He really does not have good mechanics. His footwork is among the worst I have ever evaluated.

I am happy to go against the TSW grain on Mahomes. The guy is a project Quarterback at the pro level. I wouldn't hate the Bills taking a shot (I never hate them taking a shot at a Quarterback) but if I was sitting in the draft room there is no way I would spend the 10th pick in the draft on him.

He may be that rare breed whose footwork is awful and thrives despite it. But let me just say this - there are no Big 12 defenses in the NFL.

I just watched his highlight package. I see a guy who thrived in a gimmicky offense and in a league that plays no pass defense. I would take him in the second, not the first.

MMQB:

The Drafts Rorschach Test: What Will Each Team See in Patrick Mahomes?

An athletic, cannon-armed playmaker, son of a professional athlete and leader of men? Or a sloppy, reckless developmental prospect from a gimmicky offense? In a QB class full of question marks, Mahomes has emerged as the most fascinating passer in the draft. And every evaluator will see something different

by Emily Kaplan

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/01/nfl-draft-patrick-mahomes-ii-texas-tech-quarterback-first-round-prospect

Mahomes is the QB I want in this draft.

But I don't trust Whaley to figure out how and when to draft him. He'll screw this up - we'll end up with a cornerback and a safety as our top two picks.

IMO the only way you consider drafting Mahomes (if you want to draft him) is if you trade back a couple of times into the mid-20s and adding an additional 2nd and 3rd round picks (bringing the total to five in first three rounds).

I say this because over-drafting a project QB as a top 10 pick seemingly never works out for the player or team. The weight of the expectations are often way too much.

After the #10 pick, I see the Cardinals as the only team that is truly QB needy till you get to the Texans at #25. Be daring and bold, and if Mahomes gets picked before your pick (after trading back), your consolation prize is that you have 5 picks coming in the first three rounds, in a deep draft class. You've already got a developing QB prospect in Jones, and you still have the great QB class next year coming up.

IMO the only way you consider drafting Mahomes (if you want to draft him) is if you trade back a couple of times into the mid-20s and adding an additional 2nd and 3rd round picks (bringing the total to five in first three rounds).

I say this because over-drafting a project QB as a top 10 pick seemingly never works out for the player or team. The weight of the expectations are often way too much.

After the #10 pick, I see the Cardinals as the only team that is truly QB needy till you get to the Texans at #25. Be daring and bold, and if Mahomes gets picked before your pick (after trading back), your consolation prize is that you have 5 picks coming in the first three rounds, in a deep draft class. You've already got a developing QB prospect in Jones, and you still have the great QB class next year coming up.

That is probably right. But I think the Cardinals will surprise and take a QB - and they'll stay put if they have to. Their roster is stacked, they can afford to take a chance.

That is probably right. But I think the Cardinals will surprise and take a QB - and they'll stay put if they have to. Their roster is stacked, they can afford to take a chance.

I'm not against trading down for a qb such as Mahomes or Watkins. But the risk is that a surprise team such as the Steelers who have a veteran qb who is at the end of their career might job the line to get their qb of the future.

My preferred approach is if you have a conviction on a qb then act on it without risking losing the player. Over-drafting for a positional player doesn't make sense but over-drafting a round for a qb is a reasonable approach to take.

Too many people act as if a first round pick is used on a qb is too much of a risk to take. I disagree. It is one pick. Your draft won't being sabotaged because of it. Last year the Bills used their first two picks on players, one of which didn't play until the second half of the season and then intermittently, and the other was out for the whole year. My point being very often you don't get immediate returns on high picks.

If the Bills were drafting at the very top of the draft, top 4, I could understand the hesitation at selecting a qb in the first round. That's not the case this year when we are drafting at the 10 spot. For me now is the time to do it.

I'm not against trading down for a qb such as Mahomes or Watkins. But the risk is that a surprise team such as the Steelers who have a veteran qb who is at the end of their career might job the line to get their qb of the future.

My preferred approach is if you have a conviction on a qb then act on it without risking losing the player. Over-drafting for a positional player doesn't make sense but over-drafting a round for a qb is a reasonable approach to take.

Too many people act as if a first round pick is used on a qb is too much of a risk to take. I disagree. It is one pick. Your draft won't being sabotaged because of it. Last year the Bills used their first two picks on players, one of which didn't play until the second half of the season and then intermittently, and the other was out for the whole year. My point being very often you don't get immediate returns on high picks.

If the Bills were drafting at the very top of the draft, top 4, I could understand the hesitation at selecting a qb in the first round. That's not the case this year when we are drafting at the 10 spot. For me now is the time to do it.

I'm fine with that too. Buddy Nix (and Whaley in his first couple of years) got too cute at times waiting for a QB they liked to fall to them into the right "value." Just pick a g-damn QB and don't look back.

and you still have the great QB class next year coming up.

Don't count on it. Maybe it will be, but it's too early for anyone, scouts included, to know all of the QB's they think

will be good, will play as well as they have or not be injured. If they see a QB they like in April the Bills should take

him.

Edited by purple haze

I'm fine with that too. Buddy Nix (and Whaley in his first couple of years) got too cute at times waiting for a QB they liked to fall to them into the right "value." Just pick a g-damn QB and don't look back.

Just think if Buddy and Whaley would have pulled the trigger on Carr, Wilson or Cousins etc the way we look at this woebegone franchise would be so much different. :cry:

If we keep TT for two more years, we should trade back pick up another pick. Draft a CB in round 1 to replace Gilmore, resign Woods and if Mahomes is available in round 2 take him. After that let it play out.

Not a fan. His receivers made him look better than he is

I didn't watch a lot of him in college, but looking at some stuff on YouTube I see what you're talking about. Even in his highlight reel he's constantly underthrowing his receivers and they're adjusting.

Just think if Buddy and Whaley would have pulled the trigger on Carr, Wilson or Cousins etc the way we look at this woebegone franchise would be so much different. :cry:

Probably not. They would have had their careers murdered by our undertalented offensive lines, pitiful WRs, and pathetic coaching.

I would trade UP for Mahomes. You people that think Mahomes is a late first, early second rounder are too trusting of the McShay's of the world. Mahomes is a def top 15 pick, and probably will go in the first 10 picks.

This is a more athletic Brett Favre. He'll throw a lot more than 6 interceptions...even as a vet...but he'll also throw 35 Tds, and 5000 yards to boot.

I would trade UP for Mahomes. You people that think Mahomes is a late first, early second rounder are too trusting of the McShay's of the world. Mahomes is a def top 15 pick, and probably will go in the first 10 picks.

This is a more athletic Brett Favre. He'll throw a lot more than 6 interceptions...even as a vet...but he'll also throw 35 Tds, and 5000 yards to boot.

He's got the best arm talent in this draft. Has to sit for a year and get used to takin snaps under center unless your cool with going 3-13 though. I can guarantee you if the Bills dont trade back into the 1st to take Mahomes the Texans will draft him at #24 and start him over Osweiller.