Pick your next GM HC, and biggest offseason acquisition

Virgil

Why am I not surprised. It's always to say you want better without giving examples.

Because I have given example and example and example for the past 6 weeks.

But no everyone here is adamant TT will be so freaking hard to replace

Edited by MAJBobby

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HC - Josh McDaniels

QB - Pat Mahomes

Biggest Move - I don't think we bring in any marquee players, but I can see us getting a guy like Michael Floyd and drafting another WR like Williams or Davis. I also could see us pulling Vollmer away from the Pats if McDaniels comes over. I think they fix the OL in FA.

What about coughlin,too old? Wasnt he hanging around buffalo before

He could be team disciplinarian... restore order

This is a great topic. I dont know the answers myself but i like it. What about cordarelle Patterson as the number 2 or 3?

1) Todd Haley makes a lot of sense. He might keep A Lynn since they're close and have history. Not sure I'd like the choice though. This may not be a sexy pick, but I think Mike Smith makes some sense here.

2) Again, I don't like this, but I think the Bills are going to get Cutler as a one year bridge to Cardale. Backup plan will be Nick Foles.

3) Ryan Schraeder RT.

Edited by somnus00

Mike Smith would be in the mix I think - stellar first 5 year in Atlanta and supposedly really impressed on the interview circuit last year (notably with the Giants). Not a sexy pick at all and I do wonder about how quickly things spiralled out of control with the Falcons but he has turned round that Tampa defense and I think he will get a lot of looks this hiring season.

Mike Smith would be in the mix I think - stellar first 5 year in Atlanta and supposedly really impressed on the interview circuit last year (notably with the Giants). Not a sexy pick at all and I do wonder about how quickly things spiralled out of control with the Falcons but he has turned round that Tampa defense and I think he will get a lot of looks this hiring season.

I could see Mike Smith or John Fox, I think sending our first pick to the Cheatriots for Garoppalo possibly

Jim Bob Cooter

Tony Romo

Mike Williams (because Corey Davis will be gone)

Lions would be foolish to let Cooter out the door. I'd do him Coughlin style and promote that OC, bold move though after a nice season under Caldwell. Coughlin/McAdoo was a bit easier. Cooter has to be the number one target for anyone needing a coach.

Assuming we start fresh with a new FO.

1 - Patricia

2 - Cardale

3 - Probably Floyd... I don't see us going after any big time guys. This is essentially our QBs rookie year, and typically you don't see a ton of success on the W-L front. Dak is an anomaly, but Winston and Mariota have seemed to come along a bit. Wentz and Goff have definitely struggled though.

If the best your talented team can do is basically 8-8, then you probably need to develop some younger talent. Roster's flawed and old. Mix in a good bunch of rookies this year and let some people walk. Go after cap casualties to add some comp picks.

First of all, I still think the plan is likely Rex & Tyrod. But assuming that's off the table for this exercise:

1) Kyle Shanahan. He runs an offense predicated on the run game and it has worked very well. His offense led to a winning record in Cleveland with Hoyer at QB, and now look at Atlanta this year for how it works with more talent.

2) Ryan Mallett(UFA) or AJ McCarron (Trade), Brian Hoyer, Cardale Jones. Mallett is a big guy with a big arm who I believe Kyle could hide behind a superb play-action game, McCarron looked competent enough in limited action last year. Hoyer had success in Shanahan's offense in Cleveland with much less talent than we have, safe bet outside of injury risks. Cardale will be here developing, and on his short run to the national championship he thrived in an offense predicated on play action, a serious run threat, and big plays down the field.

3) Eric Berry would be a lovely acquisition.

First of all, I still think the plan is likely Rex & Tyrod. But assuming that's off the table for this exercise:

1) Kyle Shanahan. He runs an offense predicated on the run game and it has worked very well. His offense led to a winning record in Cleveland with Hoyer at QB, and now look at Atlanta this year for how it works with more talent.

2) Ryan Mallett(UFA) or AJ McCarron (Trade), Brian Hoyer, Cardale Jones. Mallett is a big guy with a big arm who I believe Kyle could hide behind a superb play-action game, McCarron looked competent enough in limited action last year. Hoyer had success in Shanahan's offense in Cleveland with much less talent than we have, safe bet outside of injury risks. Cardale will be here developing, and on his short run to the national championship he thrived in an offense predicated on play action, a serious run threat, and big plays down the field.

3) Eric Berry would be a lovely acquisition.

Shanahan gets a lot of praise for how he uses Julio, it would certainly put all those Watkins discussions to the test. 3 very realistic and sound options, if of course #2 is McCarron. He looks to offer a serviceable floor with an upside and then maybe Jones has developed...Also I would be drafting another QB.

My starting points:

1. With current talent under contract/in prime years on offense - Watkins, Shady, Clay - we should be looking to implement a system that maximizes their talents. These speed players/playmakers are our strength. O line is not, and can't be fixed while the Big 3 are still here and in productive years.

2. The best offensive system for this talent distribution is what worked so well for Shady before: the fast Chip Kelly system. Try to recreate that. Foles was superb in that system. Watkins could be DeSean Jackson in that system. The ball gets out of the QBs hand ultra fast, covering up for line weakness. And you get your playmakers in space, with a chance to make things happen.

Chip Kelly isn't available (and quite frankly has probabaly worn out his welcome in the NFL based more on personality than on pure coaching ability), and another proponent of that system doesn't come to mind immediately. (Nate Hackett started out as one, but let's pretend he's not available...)

So I say: start with Foles. Find either a flexible/ordinary HC and bring in an OC to run the Chip system, or find the Chip system guy to be HC. Hope that that works on offense, at least during the next couple years when we're supposedly at the height of the competitive cycle. Spend FA and draft money on defense. It's not time to do the full take-it-down-to-the-bones rebuild yet; that would waste the key talent under contract in their productive years.

EDIT: where's Pat Shurmur these days?

Edited by The Frankish Reich

1) McDaniels

2) Garoppolo

3) Kevin Zeitler in FA (other than Jimmy) / Leonard Fournette or Dalvin Cook in the 1st round (resigning Gilmore)

Bring the Pats offense over to Buffalo with the guy who runs it along with the QB who looked pretty solid in relief of Brady this year. Taking a running back in the 1st would likely cause everyone to flip their lid, but I'd prefer to use Shady in the way the Pats use Lewis/James White and I think both Fournette & Cook are generational talents we can use like the Pats use Blount or the Cowboys use Zeke. Signing Zeitler in FA would solidify 4/5ths of our offensive line being very strong, we can kick Miller out to competing at RT along with the bodies there already and potentially add a guy in round 4-5.

I completely understand anyone wanting to take a WR 2 (or WR 1) early, I agree that's a major need and something I'd like to see addressed, but the offense McDaniels - Jimmy G. have run has operated OK without blue chip talent there. If we are getting Sammy - Shady - one of the rookie RBs their touches, there won't be a ton more to go around. Do the "ball control ground & pound" right with a beefed up Oline and another bellcow in the backfield, shorten the game, keep the defense off the field and follow the Dallas / KC model unless Jimmy proves himself capable of much more.

Coach: Frank Reich

QB: Tony Romo

Biggest Acquisition: Tony Romo.

addendum: trade for Romo. Let Gilmore, TT and EJ walk and get rid of Russ Brandon and Rex. Draft QB in first round and then Cardale and that pick learn behind Romo. Romo gone after 1 season and then you have 2 young QBs fighting for the starter spot in 2018 camp. With returning (good) OL, healthy Sammy/Woods/Clay/Shady and competent QB, offense will be fine. With competent defensive coordinator, defense will return to form.

It makes too much sense, which is why it won't happen.

I've been hoping they check out Kyle Shanahan as well. He was instrumental in helping RG3 become a rookie sensation....and his stints in Cleveland and Atlanta were successful. He has good coaching lineage and appears to be a pretty good leader and obviously intelligent. I can see the Bills fan base getting on board with the young Shanahan as next head coach.

Jim harbaugh

2 and 3 I would let Jim decide what's best to do

Good lord, I'm agreeing with peterpan...

Pay the guy 10 to 15 mill per.

EDIT: Kirk Cousins would do for #1 & #2

Move freaking Russ Brandon over to the Sabres and keep him out of the football stadium entirely or at some point he is going to want to be the head coach.

Edited by Nihilarian

Mike Smith. Everything Rex is not. I think he would get along great with Whaley. Smith's down fall in Atl was Dimitof not knowing how to draft linemen or how to sign them in FA. Pioli and a few other FO moves fixed that and suddenly the Falcons are looking a lot better.

Romo. I Know Taylor is not the answer, and i really think this team has enough talent with an above average QB to be awesome. Think Carson Palmer to Cards, but the Bills finish it. Romo has roots in the cold from his college days.

Gilmore. He can play and i think and hope with Smith coming in Gilmore would consider staying more. I think a lot of the players just don't like Rex.

Swartz, HC-Reich, OC

Rudolf, ok st. (Don't pay Rivers)

Stud wr. (Cut clay)

Charles Clay would cost $13.5 million against the cap to cut next year, vs $9 million to be on the roster. The soonest it's a possibility they cut him is AFTER 2017, and even then its a Mario Williams scenario, he costs $9 million on the roster or off it for 2018