Rob Quinn: Rex might be one of the NFL's Best Head Coaches

Rex Ryan helping Bills turn the corner, might be one of NFL's best head coaches: https://t.co/Pz2lgwhPtj

There are hundreds of adjectives that come to the minds of NFL fans when the name Rex Ryan arises. Pompous, obnoxious, boisterous, pretentious, self-important. All of those could justifiably be used do describe Ryan at some point in his illustrious coaching career, and it’s hard to say that even he would disagree.

But this year with the Buffalo Bills, those adjectives have slowly shifted. Energetic, effective, progressive and influential, among others, are all better depictions of the 53-year old.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is absolutely ridiculous and shows how idiotic the media can be, he was being drawn and quartered 3 weeks ago as the worst coach in the nfl since kay stephenson, now all of a sudden he's the best ever???? the media seems to love to throw things out there in a kind of blind squirrel type of thing. he's always been a very good coach, but sometimes in some professions, very good people aren't given the time necessary at one spot to build and prove their value.

this is absolutely ridiculous and shows how idiotic the media can be, he was being drawn and quartered 3 weeks ago as the worst coach in the nfl since kay stephenson, now all of a sudden he's the best ever???? the media seems to love to throw things out there in a kind of blind squirrel type of thing. he's always been a very good coach, but sometimes in some professions, very good people aren't given the time necessary at one spot to build and prove their value.

The media in this country is no longer about disseminating accurate, insightful information.

Well, 99% of it isn't, anyway.

It's about revenue generation. Best thing to do is ignore most of it, and read the NY Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, or whatever legitimate news source you prefer.

Al Jazeera is actually much better than many US news outlets now.

This.

3 weeks ago he was the worst coach in the NFL and looking at a bye week firing date. Steven A smith was licking his slander chops. 3 weeks later. Steven A Smith trying to not eat the crow and the media all over Rex like a Clemson jersey.

Rex Ryan helping Bills turn the corner, might be one of NFL's best head coaches: https://t.co/Pz2lgwhPtj

Oh, Lordy, here we go. No wonder fans on this board are bipolar. The media is freakin' bipolar.

Me, I'm glad we've played good football 3 weeks in a row but I'll have faith that Rex can sustain effort and preparation when I see it. As a Bills fan, we've seen the team win 3, or 5, or some other number, in a row so many times and we all think "oh, this is it! Finally, here we go, we CAN have nice things!" only to watch the wheels fall off.

Oh, Lordy, here we go. No wonder fans on this board are bipolar. The media is freakin' bipolar.

Me, I'm glad we've played good football 3 weeks in a row but I'll have faith that Rex can sustain effort and preparation when I see it. As a Bills fan, we've seen the team win 3, or 5, or some other number, in a row so many times and we all think "oh, this is it! Finally, here we go, we CAN have nice things!" only to watch the wheels fall off.

^ this ^

I'll wait until January to declare this a successful season or not. If we make the playoffs, I'll agree. But the last 16 years have more than earned me this right.

Rex is a upper mid level coach, a great defensive mind and a players coach who always gets his players to play hard for him. However he isn't that great at in game clock and decision management (Not terrible but not fantastic either), his track record on putting together an offensive coaching staffs isn't the best either.

Another negative on him is that his teams commit penalties at a above average rate and the teams discipline can get away from them at times. From 2009-2014 the Jets were 20th, 15th, 15th, 29th, 10th, and 16th in penalties per game the Bills last year led the league in penalties obviously ranked 32nd. So Ryan's teams aren't the best in terms of penalties although he hasn't been as bad historically as most think.

Ryan is a coach who probably works best in a 4-5 year period giving a great boost to defenses and a coach players love to play for. But Players coaches always end up losing the locker room quicker. Hopefully Ryan learned from his tenure with the Jets how to balance the players and discipline. If he can bring in good offensive minds, find the right balance between his players and discipline, and keep the penalties down then he might have a longer tenure.

The season is still young lets see how Ryan manages the challenges of the team as they push to make the playoffs for the first time in a long time.

My two major problems from last year- lack of discipline and stupid penalties coupled with his laissez faire attitude from Rex toward that have been addressed and (so far) are non-issues. We lost games last year on penalties that kept us from being a playoff team. Now, the players are playing smart, they have bought into the system and Rex is saying the right things and we are getting the wins. So far, I'm satisfied. This is the year I thought we'd get last year.

Rex might be one of the NFL's Best Head Coaches

Well if TT is as bad as most here say, and McCoy is overpaid, and drafting Sammy wasn't worth the price, and our Defensive scheme is outdated, and the GM sucks, and the owner is meddling, and the WR corp is weak, and TE is overpaid, and Dareus was suspended for 4 games and now hurt, 1st round draft pick hurt, 2nd round draft pick hurt, and Gilmore is letting his contract affect his play, and on and on....Then Rex coaching this team to a 3-2 record is remarkable...

If the Bills win the next 3, the media will be talking up superbowl.

Well if TT is as bad as most here say, and McCoy is overpaid, and drafting Sammy wasn't worth the price, and our Defensive scheme is outdated, and the GM sucks, and the owner is meddling, and the WR corp is weak, and TE is overpaid, and Dareus was suspended for 4 games and now hurt, 1st round draft pick hurt, 2nd round draft pick hurt, and Gilmore is letting his contract affect his play, and on and on....Then Rex coaching this team to a 3-2 record is remarkable...

Ain't it the truth.

Agreed, well said!

Now now.....this is the exact same thing that has been going on here on this very board. People were hanging themselves after the Jets game and after the Bills win 3, suddenly the Rex/Rob/Whaley/McCoy "repent here" threads popped up like hookers outside the Javitts Center.

Edited by Mr. WEO

gotta agree with you its called attentionitous it's destroyed lots of teams

i have seen it too, on all kinds of teams. Hope it doesn't occur here, however, IMO most of the attention this week has been on Kaepernick. Probably a good thing for the Bills, should they have fallen into a comfortable spot thinking they would face Gabbert. No chance with Kaep starting since he will involve an extra level of preparation and focus.