If La'el Collins drops do Bills take him?

ALLEN1QB

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His attorney can make any claims he wants about Collins' whereabouts, but if the authorities don't formally clear him of any involvement prior to the draft, I could see him not only falling to 50... but going undrafted. What team is going spend a draft pick on him if there's a chance he could be arrested for this in the near future? I'm not saying that because of wasting a pick, I'm talking about the publicity.

Collins is actually one of my favorite prospects... Either he gets picked where he was going to get picked, or he goes in between. There is no middle ground here.

His attorney can make any claims he wants about Collins' whereabouts, but if the authorities don't formally clear him of any involvement prior to the draft, I could see him not only falling to 50... but going undrafted. What team is going spend a draft pick on him if there's a chance he could be arrested for this in the near future? I'm not saying that because of wasting a pick, I'm talking about the publicity.

Collins is actually one of my favorite prospects... Either he gets picked where he was going to get picked, or he goes in between. There is no middle ground here.

even if police dont clear him, his people can give all the info to the teams. it would shock me if he DROPPED, though a team might choose another guy if its a coin flip already

even if police dont clear him, his people can give all the info to the teams. it would shock me if he DROPPED, though a team might choose another guy if its a coin flip already

Hernandez had an alibi too... I'm not aying Collins had anything to do with this. I'm just saying in the post Hernandez-Rice-Peterson world we live in, I belive teams will exercise more caution. This is just unfortunate timing for Collins (again, if he's innocent).

I am confused by some of the comments here.

Is anyone really hoping that if this kid truly didn't do it that there is enough circumstantial evidence to at least leave him on the hook for a while for the murder of his girlfriend in the hopes he drops and we take him because of it?

If, as it seemingly appears for the time being, he had nothing to do with it then I hope he gets drafted appropriately given his talent.

It is one thing when we can profit due to teams being worried about an injury and another thing as a result of actual legal violations of which an individual is working on changing and improving themselves (Henderson).

...but this is murder and it is a little sick that some are hoping that the unfounded stench of guilt sticks like spaghetti on a wall, at least for a little while.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

The mother of his child (supposedly) was murdered...is he supposed to stay away?

IIRC, it hasn't been established yet that he's the father.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/la-collins-questioned-pregnant-murder-article-1.2203115

That's one of the things the authorities are trying to determine, so I suspect they'll ask him for a DNA sample...

Edited by Lurker

he is not a suspect. this is a ridiculous thread.

The police never say a person is a suspect early on in a case possibly person of interest for legal reasons. You are dreaming if you think being questioned in a murder will have zero impact on the draft. Teams look at a players whole life as much as possible for character flaws. He will drop I guarantee it.

IIRC, it hasn't been established yet that he's the father.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/la-collins-questioned-pregnant-murder-article-1.2203115

That's one of the things the authorities are trying to determine, so I suspect they'll ask him for a DNA sample...

Right, that's what I was trying to say with "supposedly"...I didn't click the link, but he was allegedly scheduled to take a paternity test next week.

OJ was reported to be in Chicago when Nicole had a little problem at home. You can be sure that the NFL teams are trying to find out whatever information they can.

Info clearing him or almost? Maybe he drops one or two spots

Info hinting he might be implicated? Precipitous drop.

Complete lack of info? Who the heck knows?

No GM is going to take a big risk on a guy who MIGHT be tied up in something like this. Teams are all totally mum on this tragedy because they're all scrambling for information. Some team will take the risk at some point - probably Dallas, Cincy or the like because those teams don't seem to much care about image as it relates to the personal lives of their players and because there isn't a GM answering to an owner. As for his fall, I wouldn't be surprised if he went straight on past the Bills at pick 50. It will depend a great deal upon what teams find out between now and tomorrow night, of course.

Edited by BarleyNY

The police never say a person is a suspect early on in a case possibly person of interest for legal reasons. You are dreaming if you think being questioned in a murder will have zero impact on the draft. Teams look at a players whole life as much as possible for character flaws. He will drop I guarantee it.

Until we hear otherwise, having someone you know killed isn't a character flaw. You and I don't know much to that point - it's possible he was involved but so far there's not a huge indicator to say he will definitely fall. Though I agree he will definitely be looked at very closely for the next 24 hours and teams likely know a lot more than we do.

Apparently, the FSU police are not investigating this one.

If they were, the poor girl might still be alive.

(My son graduates from FSU this weekend! Hooray to one off the payroll...in theory.)

According to Baton Rouge police, they have not heard yet from Collins or his lawyer as of Wednesday evening.

Strange for someone who "isn't a suspect".

Especially since it's the day before the draft, one would think he wants to get this cleared ASAP, or atleast show that he is cooperating without hiding anything so teams wouldn't be hesitant to take him.

As it sits now, Collins not only won't be touched in the first round, I would be surprised if he is drafted at all. The longer he stays in hiding, the farther he'll fall.

No team would be willing to take that risk. It's too much heat with the current climate of the NFL for one team to absorb

Edited by dezertbill

Jeez, she gets murdered just days before the draft?? That seems "suspicious". I think she's just trying to ruin his draft position.

I know humor is healing agent, but in this case, a dead mother, a baby involved... not yet.

But to answer the original question, He'll get drafted, but I don't know how any team can do it in the early rounds without knowing more information. If he goes where he is supposed to, I guess it's safe to assume he'll be in the clear. But this circumstance is just ugly all the way around.

Edited by purple haze

No GM is pulling the trigger on La'el Collins in the 1st round when he is being questioned in the murder of a woman who may have been carrying his baby. Even if he is not a suspect, that does not mean he can't become one later. The fact that police want to question him, certainly does not help his cause.

Unless police come out and say he has no connection what so ever to the murder investigation by tomorrow, there is no chance what so ever of him going in the 1st round. If there is no updated news on his status come Friday, his name will not be called on Friday either.

Edited by Estro

As it sits now, Collins not only won't be touched in the first round, I would be surprised if he is drafted at all. The longer he stays in hiding, the farther he'll fall.

I'm leaning this way. In theory.

I mean, how often do pregnant women get shot several times?

But once the 5th round comes, the risk will probably be worth it for some team.

going to be fascinating to watch. Popcorn time.

need to see how involved in the murder he is.

yeah, but we wont know anything in the next 3 days. That's the whole question. risk / reward.