If La'el Collins drops do Bills take him?

ALLEN1QB

#3 would be worth the gamble then, nobody thinks the Russel Wilson thing was that big a gamble at this point. Just also take a late rounder as insurance? I don't wait until 4 but of course it depends on what we do at 2.

whether better or worse, waiting til 4 gives another day to pass and more time to investigate. if cleared in any way overnight, hed be gone by our pick. if something was found that was bad, it would give us a chance to avoid him though.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact he has not been drafted is a strong indication that teams know something.

So far he has not been cleared. I can guarantee teams have called BRPD to try and find out the status of the case. Have asked what are the odds the kid get arrested/charged? So far teams are not hearing what they need to hear to draft him. Simple as that.

The fact he has not been drafted is a strong indication that teams know something.

Not really. It's easy to not pull the trigger on the unknown, especially in round one.

What will be interesting is to see who has the biggest balls tonight. I can see a guy like Chip Kelly or Belichick taking a flyer on him...

So far he has not been cleared. I can guarantee teams have called BRPD to try and find out the status of the case. Have asked what are the odds the kid get arrested/charged? So far teams are not hearing what they need to hear to draft him. Simple as that.

They know he hasn't been cleared, that's all it takes to make him not worth drafting.

The sad fact is, most female murder victims are killed by their significant other. So regardless of any statements, that makes Collins the prime suspect until he is cleared or until police identify someone else.

Not really. It's easy to not pull the trigger on the unknown, especially in round one.

What will be interesting is to see who has the biggest balls tonight. I can see a guy like Chip Kelly or Belichick taking a flyer on him...

I presume on the heels of AH, even Kraft wouldn't do that.

I really don't get this mentailty... What makes you think the BRPD would take a moment out of their investigation to speak with an NFL team? A young woman was murdered, that's their priority - not assuaging the fears of an NFL GM because he's wondering if Collins is a value pick in a 5th round. Come on.

There's a couple issues with this...

1. If you think there isn't an officer there would be gushing to help an NFL team then I think that is a rather...naive

2. Every waking moment is not consumed by tracking down her killer

The point is that each franchise has people on staff that are usually ex-police/FBI who know how to find out information.

The fact he was not drafted in the first in a very weak class means that the unknown is to great.

We are basically saying the same thing i think.

The point is that each franchise has people on staff that are usually ex-police/FBI who know how to find out information.

The fact he was not drafted in the first in a very weak class means that the unknown is to great.

yea, but i think for a guy that was maybe middle of the first already, if a couple teams had him close with other guys, its not crazy for him to slide to early 2 even with generally positive feedback. it would make an easy tie breaker, if that makes sense.

now as the talent gap between him and the field still available grows we will quickly find out about the degree of worry.

The fact he was not drafted in the first in a very weak class means that the unknown is too great.

I'm confused. Your original quote was: "The fact he has not been drafted is a strong indication that teams know something."

Now you're saying the "unknown is too great." That's a big difference.

I think we agree that it's easier to not take a risk when you don't have all the facts than it is to take a leap of faith. But it's likely that no team has any clue about what the current status of that investigation is despite, as you say, having ex-police/FBI types in security roles.

Edited by Lurker

My new strategy is to take a starting OG in round two like Cann, and then roll the dice on Collins in the third if he's still there. There would be a decent chance to suddenly turn the OL into a strength and this offense to get rolling even without the franchise QB.

My new strategy is to take a starting OG in round two like Cann, and then roll the dice on Collins in the third if he's still there. There would be a decent chance to suddenly turn the OL into a strength and this offense to get rolling even without the franchise QB.

Classic game theory situation, right? If he's still there in round 3, everyone is gonna be thinking that others know something that's not good. There is real potential for the suspicion to build based simply on the progression of the draft. I still think he gets drafted eventually.

Classic game theory situation, right? If he's still there in round 3, everyone is gonna be thinking that others know something that's not good. There is real potential for the suspicion to build based simply on the progression of the draft. I still think he gets drafted eventually.

I would be shocked I think if some team doesn't take a flyer on him, unless there is something we don't know that makes people believe there is a very decent chance he is a bad, bad guy.

Yeah, pick 81 is a role of the dice anyway. At 50 we need a solid contributor.

Cann would be a good pick, as would Donovan Smith who would move inside to guard but could backup RT in a pinch. OTOH, Marpet and especially Clemmings would need a lot of technique work and probably wouldn't help out much this year....

I think I'd be on board with this. With the way things are shaking out in the AFC East, we need some beasts on the OL.

So the police won't speak to him because the investigation is ongoing, wouldn't they need to speak to him as part of the investigation if he was a suspect? If that is true, it seems like they want to try and determine custody of the child, right?

I really do wonder if we put Buddy on the case to try and determine what the story is here. I'm assuming at least one team will come up with some intel that will allow them to take Collins relatively early.

Wait, Buddy Nix? Put Buddy "on the case"??

Because teams understand you don't necessarily get to control the message in today's media age.

These are billion dollar corporations who will not put one employee above the risk of a PR mess. OJ 'wasn't a suspect' either the first time he spoke to police.

I'm not saying he'll go undrafted, but I wouldn't be surprised. I bet a number of teams have taken him off their boards.

Teams won't be held repsonsible if a guy they drafted was later found to have killed someone. NE just proved that. There was no "PR mess". You just cut the guy.

I would take him at 50. Why blow it on another Kujo type?

I would be more interested in the OTHER L. Collins who fell out of the first round, Landon Collins.

I'm pretty certain most of the other 17 teams drafting in front of the Bills tonight agree... B-)

His attorney can make any claims he wants about Collins' whereabouts, but if the authorities don't formally clear him of any involvement prior to the draft, I could see him not only falling to 50... but going undrafted. What team is going spend a draft pick on him if there's a chance he could be arrested for this in the near future? I'm not saying that because of wasting a pick, I'm talking about the publicity.

Collins is actually one of my favorite prospects... Either he gets picked where he was going to get picked, or he goes in between. There is no middle ground here.

No problem; Pegula will just pay a guy to confess to the crime.

Teams won't be held repsonsible if a guy they drafted was later found to have killed someone. NE just proved that. There was no "PR mess". You just cut the guy.

I would take him at 50. Why blow it on another Kujo type?

Poor comparison. AH killed someone 3 years after he was drafted. Collins could theoretically be arrested tomorrow for a murder everyone knows he's being investigated for today. If that happened there most certainly would be a PR mess for the league and the team who drafted him. That's why I don't think he gets drafted at all.

If this was 25 years ago when the NFL had mavericks like Al Davis and no one cared about DV, then sure. But it's a different world today.

Edited by KD in CT

@AdamSchefter

La'el Collins and his reps have decided if he's not selected tonight he will not sign a contract with a team and will renter draft next year

That's just dumb. Taking a year off from football at his age is about the stupidest thing possible. He's trying to gin up a game of chicken, it appears ...

Is that even possible? I mean people don't get drafted all of the time and they are just UDFA. Once eligible for the draft you can't just re-enter the next year. Right? This isn't baseball.

Edit: Guess that's not right. Wow.

Edited by FutureBillsGM

Is that even possible? I mean people don't get drafted all of the time and they are just UDFA. Once eligible for the draft you can't just re-enter the next year. Right? This isn't baseball.

if you dont sign, you go into next years. its not common but its been discussed -- crabtree holding out into the season being the last that comes to mind.

once eligible for the draft you cant go back to college though, or really have legit options - hence its not like baseball where its easier to pass on signing.

if you dont sign, you go into next years. its not common but its been discussed -- crabtree holding out into the season being the last that comes to mind.

once eligible for the draft you cant go back to college though, or really have legit options - hence its not like baseball where its easier to pass on signing.

Bo Jackson anyone?

Bo Jackson anyone?

if he is confident it works out - he makes 100k (say 3-400k less than in the nfl this year) playing in canada, then comes back and if hes roughly 33rd (4 years 5.5m in 2014) vs a 7th round flyer this year (mr irrelevant got 4 years 2.2m) then it might be worth it.... even if you look at the top of the 5th as a random final day flyer your looking at 4 years 2.5m and thats 3m lost vs a high second round pick.

the flip side being hes burning a year of prime earning power on a second contract.

Edited by NoSaint

@AdamSchefter

La'el Collins and his reps have decided if he's not selected tonight he will not sign a contract with a team and will renter draft next year

Seems like an odd position from his advisors and him.

So, if say someone drafts him at the end of the 6th or the 7 th, there is a major difference than a FA contract?

Well is guess there is mainly his agents and lawyers fees and Commissions. Really starting not like this clown. Unless he becomes a Bill of course.

Show Me the Money IMO

I never get how a person of interest in a murder isn't dragged in for questioning ASAP??? This is screwing this guy over big time and if's he guilty the team that drafts him in a way lower screw job. Geez Louise, they threaten you with a warrant for not showing up at jury duty!

Seems like an odd position from his advisors and him.

So, if say someone drafts him at the end of the 6th or the 7 th, there is a major difference than a FA contract?

Well is guess there is mainly his agents and lawyers fees and Commissions. Really starting not like this clown. Unless he becomes a Bill of course.

Show Me the Money IMO

If drafted in the top few tonight his deal is roughly double tomorrow's number 1 pick

If drafted in the top few tonight his deal is roughly double tomorrow's number 1 pick

It will. I guess my thoughts are why sit out a year, even if your true value is tonight and probably last night if not for this mess. it's all about the money obviously, but his camps thinking is shortsighted on a couple of levels.

Honestly, I simply cannot find a reason of any involvement on his part with so much on the line. Who knows. i don't keep up on his problems other than headlines.

i would guess if he is picked early tonite his contract would be a couple pages longer than a typical one. I Have no problem with the Bills taking him. We could use a talent like him, minus continuing drama though.