If La'el Collins drops do Bills take him?

ALLEN1QB

No GM is pulling the trigger on La'el Collins in the 1st round when he is being questioned in the murder of a woman who may have been carrying his baby. Even if he is not a suspect, that does not mean he can't become one later. The fact that police want to question him, certainly does not help his cause.

Unless police come out and say he has no connection what so ever to the murder investigation by tomorrow, there is no chance what so ever of him going in the 1st round. If there is no updated news on his status come Friday, his name will not be called on Friday either.

The police will question the BF/GF/Husband/Wife 100% of the time in a murder investigation. The fact that he's being questioned is rather meaningless.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have read he is not a suspect but a paternity test wanted.

If he was there at 50 , I would take a chance on him. I'am getting desperate to fix the OL.

OG OT and TE . I would not bother with QB unless in 6th rd this draft

I know humor is healing agent, but in this case, a dead mother, a baby involved... not yet.

But to answer the original question, He'll get drafted, but I don't know how any team can do it in the early rounds without knowing more information. If he goes where he is supposed to, I guess it's safe to assume he'll be in the clear. But this circumstance is just ugly all the way around.

Actually, I was just pointing out the lunacy of another discussion in the Winston thread.

McShay has both Collins and Gregory dropping out of the 1st

@McShay13: Finished Mock 6.0 (FINAL) a few hours ago... Can't believe no Randy Gregory or La'El Collins in my first round.

Schefter said the same on NFL Radio this morning. He said he doesn't believe Gregory will be selected in round 1 and that some teams aren't sure if they can draft Collins at all, although they aren't sure what to do because that fear could be completely unwarranted.

Is there an update to the Collins story? Last I heard was police didn't know where he was.

He voluntarily left the draft in Chicago to go talk with the investigators. Schefter mentioned that it's the best thing he can do, because if he falls out of the first then as soon as he is exonerated, if he is, he might be taken by whomever is on the clock at that time.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Schefter said the same on NFL Radio this morning. He said he doesn't believe Gregory will be selected in round 1 and that some teams aren't sure if they can draft Collins at all, although they aren't sure what to do because that fear could be completely unwarranted.

He voluntarily left the draft in Chicago to go talk with the investigators

Yes, and the PFT story last night before I went to bed was that he never showed up to talk to the investigators.

Yes, and the PFT story last night before I went to bed was that he never showed up to talk to the investigators.

Yeah, somebody's wrong here. Here's the PFT Article

According to Ross Dellenger and Ben Wallace of the New Orleans Advocate, neither Collins nor his lawyer had contacted detectives in Baton Rouge as of Wednesday evening to schedule an interview regarding the death of 29-year-old Brittney Mills. Police have said that Collins is not a suspect.

And then here's the NFL Article

Baton Rouge (Louisiana) Police told NFL Media on Tuesday that they have been in contact with Collins' agent to schedule a meeting concerning what he might know to help them concerning the death of Brittany Mills. Collins is not considered a suspect in Mills' shooting death, which occurred on Friday.

PFT cites Wednesday evening, yet the NFL.com article was posted Wednesday at 2:30... Personally I trust what the Police said to NFL media over what the New Orleans Advocate says the Police said, but we shall see in due time I suppose.

EDIT: I guess neither is wrong, technically, since Collins' agent is neither Collins, nor his lawyer...

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

PFT cites Wednesday evening, yet the NFL.com article was posted Wednesday at 2:30... Personally I trust what the Police said to NFL media over what the New Orleans Advocate says the Police said, but we shall see in due time I suppose.

EDIT: I guess neither is wrong, technically, since Collins' agent is neither Collins, nor his lawyer...

the pft one certainly stirs more controversy while the nfl one plays it down.... which i suppose given their interests currently wouldnt be surprising on either end.

ultimately, any of us would be foolish to think that we have the same access that teams considering collins have. Surely, for better or worse, they have a bit more info than our speculation. itll be interesting to see how it goes.

the other thing to keep in mind is "we are taking him off the draft board" could be anything from very truthful, to an effort to have him slide to you (ala hes a guard and couldnt play tackle)

Edited by NoSaint

the pft one certainly stirs more controversy while the nfl one plays it down.... which i suppose given their interests currently wouldnt be surprising on either end.

ultimately, any of us would be foolish to think that we have the same access that teams considering collins have. Surely, for better or worse, they have a bit more info than our speculation. itll be interesting to see how it goes.

the other thing to keep in mind is "we are taking him off the draft board" could be anything from very truthful, to an effort to have him slide to you (ala hes a guard and couldnt play tackle)

The problem is, even if he had nothing to do with this, there is no way to exonerate Collins before the draft. Paternity tests take time. Investigations take time. This is going to be hanging over his head for some time to come. A team can't simply draft him and hope everything is all cleared up shortly. They will have to pay him his signing bonus and put him on the field before this is resolved. What if the team does all that and then this guy gets indicted in, say, November? What a freaking mess. What GM is going to take that risk at this point?

On a side note. Something just smells fishy here. Dragging his feet to get himself in front of the police and at least somewhat cleared, the lack of apparent concern about his ex's death, the possibility that he might have a child that was almost murdered and apparent lack of interest in having a paternity test to find out whether or not the child is his. Maybe he's just getting advice from his agent and lawyer to stay quiet and not speak to the public, but it is just odd. Obviously there are reasons other than involvement in her murder for this behavior, but it just seems odd.

It also didn't say a meeting was actually scheduled through his agent. Only that they were in contact with the agent for such purpose. The police might be waiting on Collins' availability, which might reasonably be tied to when he could physically get back to town which might not have been known at the time.

The problem is, even if he had nothing to do with this, there is no way to exonerate Collins before the draft. Paternity tests take time. Investigations take time. This is going to be hanging over his head for some time to come. A team can't simply draft him and hope everything is all cleared up shortly. They will have to pay him his signing bonus and put him on the field before this is resolved. What if the team does all that and then this guy gets indicted in, say, November? What a freaking mess. What GM is going to take that risk at this point?

On a side note. Something just smells fishy here. Dragging his feet to get himself in front of the police and at least somewhat cleared, the lack of apparent concern about his ex's death, the possibility that he might have a child that was almost murdered and apparent lack of interest in having a paternity test to find out whether or not the child is his. Maybe he's just getting advice from his agent and lawyer to stay quiet and not speak to the public, but it is just odd. Obviously there are reasons other than involvement in her murder for this behavior, but it just seems odd.

id say a lot can be attributed to making sure your ducks are in a row, regardless of if he has any involvement.

for the team, paternity isnt an issue -- its simply "did he do it or have someone do it for him"

the former is, depending on the alibis hes provided, potentially VERY easy to sort out. and if i were him i would not be sorting this out on ESPN, id be doing it quietly with my agent, my lawyer, my PR team, etc.... so its not shocking to me that we dont have more from him publicly. heck, theres a chance even if hes not involved that with it being an EX and a small city like BR that he knows the people involved pretty well.

especially as you fall out of the top half of the first and you start to see a talent gap between him and the board develop, and risk starts to decrease financially and with opportunity cost --- unless teams truly believe he was heavily involved, id be surprised if he went to a true free fall - but we will see.

There lots of red flags here that La'el may be a straight up gangsta and living the thug life. No biggie though. He's got the talent we need and likely had nothing to do with the murder. If he was behind the killing, he would've waited until AFTER the draft to do it.

Just like people will wait until after the draft to smoke their weed right??

I don't get the undraftable part. Why wouldn't you take him in the third round and say we believe in giving people a fair shot. He won't play one snap for us until he is completely exonerated. If he is arrested he will be immediately released and not play a down for us.

It's an overreaction based on everything publicly known so far. I'd draft him if he falls anywhere past 75-80, given the risk / reward.

The Snooze ran a story on Thurman Thomas falling to the 2nd round earlier this week and this seems like a similar (albeit crazy) kind of parallel...

wow, from top 1/2 of first round to likely undraftable in a matter of days.

I don't get the undraftable part. Why wouldn't you take him in the third round and say we believe in giving people a fair shot. He won't play one snap for us until he is completely exonerated. If he is arrested he will be immediately released and not play a down for us.

teams with lots of picks are more likely to take a flyer on him.

The Bills simply cant afford to waste their picks.

There are image problems that come from drafting a potential murderer. He may well be entirely innocent, but at this point no one knows. The police aren't saying he's a suspect, but in all likelihood he is - he was very close to the victim, after all. He might not be a strong suspect, but he's under suspicion nonetheless. That's why they want to question him, regardless of what they're saying publicly. Personally, I wouldn't touch him, all the while realizing that I may be passing on a great talent. It's just not worth the risk, and there are other good players out there. We also don't know anything about his background. There may be more out there -- or not. Teams will know this. That said, some team will take him.

Edited by dave mcbride

@AroundTheNFL: La'el Collins, police to schedule interview after NFL draft

http://t.co/nIh0qQyRcG

Per Rapoport, Collins is in Baton Rouge ready to meet with police, however as the investigation is not complete, authorities are not ready to meet with him, according to sources who have spoken to the police.

He won't be a first rounder, but it's likely somebody will pull the trigger on him on Friday...

Per Rapoport, Collins is in Baton Rouge ready to meet with police, however as the investigation is not complete, authorities are not ready to meet with him, according to sources who have spoken to the police.

He won't be a first rounder, but it's likely somebody will pull the trigger on him on Friday...

if he last til 31 and the saints local guys feel like they have good intel/connections -- i wouldnt be shocked to see them take a big value on the OL

if he last til 31 and the saints local guys feel like they have good intel/connections -- i wouldnt be shocked to see them take a big value on the OL

Watch the "tinfoil hat" crowd explode the Internet if that happens...

That'll be an interesting war room. La'el Collins and Bryce Petty both sitting there at 31

plus a lot of other options.... They have one of those rosters that isnt disastrous at any position, but could benefit from an upgrade almost anywhere. itll be an interesting day for them with 3 picks in the top 44 and an aggressive front office.

plus a lot of other options.... They have one of those rosters that isnt disastrous at any position, but could benefit from an upgrade almost anywhere. itll be an interesting day for them with 3 picks in the top 44 and an aggressive front office.

Yep, I've got them pulling DeVante Parker, Randy Gregory, and Maxx Williams. That'd be quite the haul IMO

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 1m1 minute ago

What @JayGlazer said is true. Agent for LaEl Collins met with the NFLPA to request he be allowed in Supplemental Draft. Well see.

if they think this drops him even part of a round, it would make sense. he wants that top slotted pay. it would seem to indicate they dont think he falls out of the draft where he could create a bidding war though. (if he went UDFA its simply highest bidder, right? so he could wait 3 weeks and assuming he is cleared have a big pay day)

brings up an interesting discussion. if he goes into the supplemental and has been cleared by then -- would you use next years 1 on him?

Edited by NoSaint

if he goes into the supplemental and has been cleared by then -- would you use next years 1 on him?

He was slated to go around pick 17-20 before this came up, so assuming the Bills are picking at the bottom of round one next year, it might be a good value pick. It would have to be balanced against understanding how strong the 2016 draft class is going to be.

A bird in the hand, however...