If La'el Collins drops do Bills take him?

ALLEN1QB

Assuming he's innocent and eventually cleared, it might be best for him to go undrafted, then he would be in position to choose where he wants to play and should be able to command a very strong signing bonus.

Edit: I just looked up rookie contract salaries, and I realize that there is still a very big difference between first round and late round picks, so financially he's probably still best off as a first round pick.

Edited by Captain Caveman

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the police won't speak to him because the investigation is ongoing, wouldn't they need to speak to him as part of the investigation if he was a suspect? If that is true, it seems like they want to try and determine custody of the child, right?

I really do wonder if we put Buddy on the case to try and determine what the story is here. I'm assuming at least one team will come up with some intel that will allow them to take Collins relatively early.

I don't get the undraftable part. Why wouldn't you take him in the third round and say we believe in giving people a fair shot. He won't play one snap for us until he is completely exonerated. If he is arrested he will be immediately released and not play a down for us.

Because teams understand you don't necessarily get to control the message in today's media age.

These are billion dollar corporations who will not put one employee above the risk of a PR mess. OJ 'wasn't a suspect' either the first time he spoke to police.

I'm not saying he'll go undrafted, but I wouldn't be surprised. I bet a number of teams have taken him off their boards.

Because teams understand you don't necessarily get to control the message in today's media age.

These are billion dollar corporations who will not put one employee above the risk of a PR mess. OJ 'wasn't a suspect' either the first time he spoke to police.

I'm not saying he'll go undrafted, but I wouldn't be surprised. I bet a number of teams have taken him off their boards.

Yep. If the situation does devolve -- and clearly, that's not a non-zero possibility given the circumstances and the crime -- the mess won't be worth it.

Edited by dave mcbride

Yep. If the situation does devolve -- and clearly, that's not a non-zero possibility given the circumstances and the crime -- the mess won't be worth it.

And I don't see the Pegulas being that type of risk-taking owners.

That is the beauty of doing it this way though. You don't risk that mess. You cut him immediately after you made it crystal clear that you are doing this the American way. If there is an arrest or a potential mess, he is gone before he even puts on a jersey or gets one cent. You lose the pick but not the media onslaught. if he is cleared, you look like the good guys, the smart guys, and the winners of a #1 OL who loves you for a #3 pick.

You could only do it if you looked into it and him and there wasn't a great chance that he was indeed involved.

If he's still there after round 4, you have to take him if you're Whaley. You've already said the late rounders probably aren't making the team so cutting him if he did face charges is no issue, on the opposite side, you have a potential mega-steal

And I don't see the Pegulas being that type of risk-taking owners.

Actually, I do.

With the Sabres, they took the risk of tanking for McEichel realizing a radical rebuild was the only way to get the ammo to be "hockey heaven". With the Charles Clay sining they didn't flinch on setting the bar high. They gave Whaley the green light to get Sammy last year.

I don't think they play by the same 'old boy' NFL owner rules. It would be a huge risk/reward...but who understands that concept better than an oil and gas man...

Well, there is Incognito ...

Yeah, but RI is a classic case of guy who got knocked down, blackballed for a year or two and now has his redemption story. Even compared to Vick or Rice, Incognito was a pretty mild case. But a murder suspect is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Now if this kid is innocent, this is one of the all-time worst draft day things to happen to a player. He is going to lose millions.

Yeah, but RI is a classic case of guy who got knocked down, blackballed for a year or two and now has his redemption story. Even compared to Vick or Rice, Incognito was a pretty mild case. But a murder suspect is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Now if this kid is innocent, this is one of the all-time worst draft day things to happen to a player. He is going to lose millions.

As I've been saying - if brpd gives a team positive feedback behind closed doors he could still go tonight and the team would absolutely not share it publicly until the post pick interview. It's an interesting spot still.

As I've been saying - if brpd gives a team positive feedback behind closed doors he could still go tonight and the team would absolutely not share it publicly until the post pick interview. It's an interesting spot still.

Yes, that would change things a lot. You wonder how much, if any, BRPD would rush things given the impact of the timing here.

It's certainly one of the more interesting draft day circumstances in recent years.

Everything I read says he's not a suspect, yet Monday he was scheduled to take a paternity test...seems very strange that prior to being a very rich man the potential mother of his child is killed.

As a prospect I think this kid is a pro bowl LG, but the flip side is he spends the next 25 years in jail or longer and would be a wasted pick.

According to Baton Rouge police, they have not heard yet from Collins or his lawyer as of Wednesday evening.

Strange for someone who "isn't a suspect".

Especially since it's the day before the draft, one would think he wants to get this cleared ASAP, or atleast show that he is cooperating without hiding anything so teams wouldn't be hesitant to take him.

As it sits now, Collins not only won't be touched in the first round, I would be surprised if he is drafted at all. The longer he stays in hiding, the farther he'll fall.

No team would be willing to take that risk. It's too much heat with the current climate of the NFL for one team to absorb

Agreed!

I don't think BRPD is able to disclose that information.

@NewOrleansWatch: La'el Collins hires private investigator to meet Baton Rouge police after NFL drafthttp://t.co/H5ax1Xg0sm

Boren, Collins attorney, said a private investigative company recently was hired to determine Collins whereabouts on Friday when Mills was shot and Boren said he believes the resulting alibi will rule out Collins as a possible suspect in Mills death. Boren declined to comment about the nature of the relationship between Collins and Mills.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't think BRPD is able to disclose that information.

well, as they can physically speak, they are able. Whether they are supposed to, or anyone is willing is a whole different beast. Your telling me if Sean Payton gave a ring over to the right detective (or les miles who surely has some locals in his rolodex)that it would be IMPOSSIBLE that they get an answer? Heck, the saints have probably employed some BRPD as security details through the years. id be more surprised by a full and effective stonewalling than by someone talking that shouldnt.

if he slips out of today, i would be surprised and think it is a bad sign for him in the investigation -- but again, who knows? certainly not us.

well, as they can physically speak, they are able. Whether they are supposed to, or anyone is willing is a whole different beast. Your telling me if Sean Payton gave a ring over to the right detective (or les miles who surely has some locals in his rolodex)that it would be IMPOSSIBLE that they get an answer? Heck, the saints have probably employed some BRPD as security details through the years. id be more surprised by a full and effective stonewalling than by someone talking that shouldnt.

if he slips out of today, i would be surprised and think it is a bad sign for him in the investigation -- but again, who knows? certainly not us.

It sounds like it's too early in the case to say one way or another. So then it become a matter of taking a chance on him and what round you do that? The 2nd and even 3rd are probably too high to take that chance.

It sounds like it's too early in the case to say one way or another. So then it become a matter of taking a chance on him and what round you do that? The 2nd and even 3rd are probably too high to take that chance.

at this point it seems they are painting it as not only is he claiming he was elsewhere but that the PI he hired can prove it.

that doesnt mean it couldnt have been a friend, but if accurate, its atleast a start towards talking about him tonight.

Everything I read says he's not a suspect, yet Monday he was scheduled to take a paternity test...seems very strange that prior to being a very rich man the potential mother of his child is killed.

As a prospect I think this kid is a pro bowl LG, but the flip side is he spends the next 25 years in jail or longer and would be a wasted pick.

But in jail guys work out a lot, so by the time he gets out in 2040 he should be a beast.

I really don't get this mentailty... What makes you think the BRPD would take a moment out of their investigation to speak with an NFL team? A young woman was murdered, that's their priority - not assuaging the fears of an NFL GM because he's wondering if Collins is a value pick in a 5th round. Come on.

I really don't get this mentailty... What makes you think the BRPD would take a moment out of their investigation to speak with an NFL team? A young woman was murdered, that's their priority - not assuaging the fears of an NFL GM because he's wondering if Collins is a value pick in a 5th round. Come on.

because i dont think this is an all consuming, no one on the force can even answer a phone call situation, and do think that the BRPD has plenty of ties to local organizations?

so yea, i think theres a pretty good chance that the saints have someone on their staff that can text his buddy thats close enough to the case to say "yay or nay" on collins. or that cam cameron, his OC at LSU has enough ties both nfl and probably BRPD that he could snag a little info and float it to a friend (as a few examples).

you really think that this is an absolute locked down, zero info getting out, no matter what, situation? its possible its sealed, but i find it hard to wrap my head around it being impossible that someone would talk. if it was mack last year, would you not think that the bills might have SOMEONE in the buffalo police that would mention something to them on the side, for instance?

Edited by NoSaint

OJ got into a white Bronco and split, his lawyers had said he would turn himself in...... and then there was the "suicide" note that his lawyers read to the press..... Not sure where you get the OJ wasn't a suspect from. He was named as #1 suspect because of blood evidence from day 1.

If he's still there after round 4, you have to take him if you're Whaley. You've already said the late rounders probably aren't making the team so cutting him if he did face charges is no issue, on the opposite side, you have a potential mega-steal

#3 would be worth the gamble then, nobody thinks the Russel Wilson thing was that big a gamble at this point. Just also take a late rounder as insurance? I don't wait until 4 but of course it depends on what we do at 2.