Sal Capaccio to replace Joe B. as Bills beat reporter at WGR

@SalSports: I'm extremely proud and honored to have been offered and to accept the position of full-time @buffalobills beat reporter for @WGR550. ..(1)

@SalSports: ..Since I was extremely young, I've had a passion for talking and writing about football, the NFL, and specifically the Bills. (2)..

@SalSports: This incredible opportunity gives me a chance to continue to do that on a daily basis and expand our already terrific coverage for you..(3)

He also tweeted he will still be sideline reporter for games

Downgrade, majorly. Don't care for Sal, don't like guys who get hyper and talk loudly to get a point across, and usually a point full of hyperbole and nonsense. Comes across as a major jock sniffer actually. I actually won't listen to his shows.

Downgrade, majorly. Don't care for Sal, don't like guys who get hyper and talk loudly to get a point across, and usually a point full of hyperbole and nonsense.

I agree. I was a big fan of Joe Buscaglia (although that feeling seemed to be the minority) and Sal is a very different personality in comparison.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Downgrade, majorly. Don't care for Sal, don't like guys who get hyper and talk loudly to get a point across, and usually a point full of hyperbole and nonsense. Comes across as a major jock sniffer actually. I actually won't listen to his shows.

He does get hyper and talk very fast....I like him though...seems like a good guy....sal will have to show he is as dedicated as joe b was....

Completey disagree. Coach Sal actually has played and coached football. I think Joe B lets personal relationship get in the way of his reporting.

Either way, no Buffalo media is ever breaking a Bills news story anyways.

I have to take the opposite tact and say it's a major upgrade. Joe B was so inarticulate that I would switch off the station rather than listen to him painfully search for words that just wouldn't come.

Sal is far better suited for the delicate nuances of radio broadcasting.

I have to take the opposite tact and say it's a major upgrade. Joe B was so inarticulate that I would switch off the station rather than listen to him painfully search for words that just wouldn't come.

You mean when Joe B. would describe a player as "really good" or when he watched 351 hours of Jake Locker tape because he had a feeling we would bring him in as QB....I can't imagine why you weren't impressed.

Completey disagree. Coach Sal actually has played and coached football. I think Joe B lets personal relationship get in the way of his reporting.

Either way, no Buffalo media is ever breaking a Bills news story anyways.

You really are convinced that playing high school or insignificant college football makes an NFL reporter better at his job, or an average Joe a more knowledgeable fan, aren't you.

I agree. I was a big fan of Joe Buscaglia (although that feeling seemed to be the minority) and Sal is a very different personality in comparison.

I started out really liking Joe B, particularly for his draft coverage. Outside of draft season though, his schtick started to get a little lame, IMO.

I don't love Sal, but I also don't hate him. I appreciate his energy and his positive energy, but he certainly has room for improvement, as most of us do.

I will say Matthew Coller is very articualte, and makes many great points that are original. I like what he brings to the listening experience a lot.

This.

Joe B. Seemed to have an axe to grind with the Bills as time went on and he appeared to take on Schopp's attitude style this past season.

I like Sal and would expect that he brings a new and enlightening perspective than what we've had to endure with the always bitter Joe B. This is a huge upgrade by GR and a move that should have happened regardless.

@SalSports: I'm extremely proud and honored to have been offered and to accept the position of full-time @buffalobills beat reporter for @WGR550. ..(1)

@SalSports: ..Since I was extremely young, I've had a passion for talking and writing about football, the NFL, and specifically the Bills. (2)..

@SalSports: This incredible opportunity gives me a chance to continue to do that on a daily basis and expand our already terrific coverage for you..(3)

He also tweeted he will still be sideline reporter for games

cool I like Sal, can't wait til he replaces Murphy who is a nice guy but is too much of a homer and I think Sal asks better questions of his guests. I still want John calling games just prefer to listen to Sal on the show.

Sal rocks!

One of the few hosts that can disagree with a point and not try to make the caller look like a buffoon...

He is also the only host to txt me back, he was always wrong of course :D (although he did get one me when I said the Pats wouldn't win another SB and he said they would)

So what happens to Joe B now is he just hanging looking for a new gig ?

He's the Bills beat guy for WKBW now. Wanted to be on TV, now he's on TV.

I really like Sal -- he's more of an "average Joe" (no slight to Joe B) and relates to the fans' perspective more than most journalists. Just a super nice guy as well.

I don't necessarily dislike Joe B, but agree with others who have noticed a shift in how he covers the Bills in the past couple of seasons -- gets a little high and mighty and isn't really the expert he thinks he is. Certainly not the worst local journalist around, though.

I think (hope?) Sal is the eventual replacement for Schopp.

Schopp will never leave, he likes making everyone think like him too much.

He's the Bills beat guy for WKBW now. Wanted to be on TV, now he's on TV.

I really like Sal -- he's more of an "average Joe" (no slight to Joe B) and relates to the fans' perspective more than most journalists. Just a super nice guy as well.

I don't necessarily dislike Joe B, but agree with others who have noticed a shift in how he covers the Bills in the past couple of seasons -- gets a little high and mighty and isn't really the expert he thinks he is. Certainly not the worst local journalist around, though.

Sully's the reigning heavyweight champion for that

I liked Joe B. Never understood the harsh critics of him on this board. I like Sal too though. I think he was the logical choice.

Thank you god

You mean when Joe B. would describe a player as "really good" or when he watched 351 hours of Jake Locker tape because he had a feeling we would bring him in as QB....I can't imagine why you weren't impressed.

Lol

You really are convinced that playing high school or insignificant college football makes an NFL reporter better at his job, or an average Joe a more knowledgeable fan, aren't you.

How about this.... Sal>Joe. not even close

An upgrade, an upgrade, an upgrade.

In conclusion? An upgrade. Sal is the best thing on WGR in my opinion. I love Murph but I enjoy the nights Sal does the show. I have suggested before that they should let Murph do maybe 3 shows a week focusing on the interviews he does and then let Sal do a night or two nights where it is more debate and phone-in style. I also think his all-22 reviews will be better than what Joe B produced.

LOL! I thought that was ridiculous too. However, you never know. Sometimes these guys just don't want to go through minicamp and preseason. If someone get's hurt in the regular season, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy get's mentioned...

cool I like Sal, can't wait til he replaces Murphy who is a nice guy but is too much of a homer and I think Sal asks better questions of his guests. I still want John calling games just prefer to listen to Sal on the show.

He is also the only host to txt me back, he was always wrong of course :D (although he did get one me when I said the Pats wouldn't win another SB and he said they would)

You realize that's his job? He's not working for WGR, but he's working for the Bills when he does his show.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Agree 100%. The guy just yells into the microphone. Doesnt get deep into it at all. Claims to be an expert because he coached some little kids once. He grates at me.

Sal will be great.

He is already the sideline reporter and he is passionate about the Bills.

I remember him getting emotional on air when it was announced that the Bills were soled to the Pegula's.

It was something special.

Good for you Sal. Couldnt have happened to a better man

CBF

For the life of me, I do not understand the anti-homer campaign on this board. I want a home town announcer, I want to listen to someone that's more on the Bills or Sabres side than the opponents. I much prefer that over neutral. I loved how they aired 3 different broadcasts for the NCAA finals, the Wisconsin feed, Duke feed, and neutral, i thought that was an awesome idea. And if you think Murph is the ultimate "homer", you don't listed to many other team feeds. I have heard the Titan broadcasters clap after good plays. The Chicago White Socks television play by play guy uses "we" and "us" to describe the team, he'll say "we need a hit here" or "we need a strike out here guys", and actually has some bashing comments against the opponent. This is just a couple examples of true "homers". While I don't want clapping or cheering or referring to the Bills using "us" or "we", I do want someone who is on the Bills and Sabres side...

As far as Sal, I think he's fine. I don't think he's great, but he's knowledgeable and does his homework. I listed to WGR a lot, and while I don't love some of the personalities, i will listen. I don't like a lot of my friends opinions on the local sports teams, but I still hang out with them. Sal pretty much took the same road to radio personality as the Bull Dog., hard work and loving the job, and I give him credit for that....

the White Sox announcers are awful lol.

But I do get your point. To me Murphy has it down very very well. Extremely professional

Sal did it poorly. When the team is bad, has been bad for 15 year, the coach looks like a slug.... its frustrating when the guy sits there and defends every little thing Bills. Everything isnt/wasnt rosey. Its OK to be at least a little critical. Then when the coach leaves he changes his viewpoint and you find out he is actually a slug. He was nothing but a cheerleader. A loud Italian one. It just felt overly transparent the guy was trying to angle for a job with the Bills.

For the life of me, I do not understand the anti-homer campaign on this board. I want a home town announcer, I want to listen to someone that's more on the Bills or Sabres side than the opponents. I much prefer that over neutral. I loved how they aired 3 different broadcasts for the NCAA finals, the Wisconsin feed, Duke feed, and neutral, i thought that was an awesome idea. And if you think Murph is the ultimate "homer", you don't listed to many other team feeds. I have heard the Titan broadcasters clap after good plays. The Chicago White Socks television play by play guy uses "we" and "us" to describe the team, he'll say "we need a hit here" or "we need a strike out here guys", and actually has some bashing comments against the opponent. This is just a couple examples of true "homers". While I don't want clapping or cheering or referring to the Bills using "us" or "we", I do want someone who is on the Bills and Sabres side...

As far as Sal, I think he's fine. I don't think he's great, but he's knowledgeable and does his homework. I listed to WGR a lot, and while I don't love some of the personalities, i will listen. I don't like a lot of my friends opinions on the local sports teams, but I still hang out with them. Sal pretty much took the same road to radio personality as the Bull Dog., hard work and loving the job, and I give him credit for that....

I've only watched a handful of White Sox games and that's the reason why. I couldn't stand their favoritism. RJ is sort of a homer, but I think that's just because he gets genuinely excited for the Sabres.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

the White Sox announcers are awful lol.

But I do get your point. To me Murphy has it down very very well. Extremely professional

Sal did it poorly. When the team is bad, has been bad for 15 year, the coach looks like a slug.... its frustrating when the guy sits there and defends every little thing Bills. Everything isnt/wasnt rosey. Its OK to be at least a little critical. Then when the coach leaves he changes his viewpoint and you find out he is actually a slug. He was nothing but a cheerleader. A loud Italian one. It just felt overly transparent the guy was trying to angle for a job with the Bills.

Sal is a fan, and isn't afraid to admit it. I actually like that in at least some of the local reporting.

Joe was almost always a pass-through for information that was available elsewhere. He rarely added informed insight (just opinion), and he was difficult to listen to sometimes because he took WAY too long to make a simple point or share a thought.

I appreciate Sal's style. He's energetic, doesn't take himself to seriously and he's genuine. I think he has much more football knowledge as well. Hopefully, he'll develop some good sources and bring us information and informed opinions that we can't get elsewhere.

I think Sal will have a much more personal relationship with the players because he's more approachable, which in turn will give us more info into what goes on behind the scenes. i don't know if he has the journalistic chops to write amazing stories, but i think he will be more tuned in to what is happening at OBD

Sal has his flaws, but considering other options on GR, he's a rising star. Sometimes its amusing to hear him leverage his high school coaching days or attending some coaches' conference to underscore his credibility, but that's far preferable to Schopp's arrogance and hockey obsession, or hearing Bulldog say "like" 40 times a minute.

And not only can he talk, he's articulate.

Edited by BillnutinHouston