Head Coach Candidate: Jim Schwartz

Luxy312

Over the last couple of days, I've seen a lot of suggestions for head coach. I don't think that Frank Reich would be a bad choice. He has no experience, but maybe going with a guy that has some history with this team, albeit not as a coach, would be good for the team and fans alike. I also don't mind Bill Cowher. Talk about a guy with experience and history! The title of this post says it all though. Why not Schwartz? Hasn't he earned something by taking a defense that was really good with Pettine and making it even better? Another idea here would be to make Schwartz the HC and bring in Reich as the OC. I'm just throwing out some ideas here, but a bit surprised that Schwartz hasn't even been part of the conversation.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Schwartz can bring in a trestman, I'm completely okay with this. The atmosphere he created on the D was amazing and the players loved him. I think that's a good start.

I don't like how things ended in Detroit and that did make me nervous, but I'm not against it.

Overall, I don't think it would be worse. But I also don't know if he has the ability to identify a good qb

The Scwartz sucked in Detroit one winning season in 5. What is the fascination with this guy? he leaves and boom their in the playoffs.

His defense in Buffalo was completly built, had a year of success and he was handed the keys. Just what did he do besides tightening up the run D? There are probably several DC's that could have acomplished what he did this year. Considering the talent he was handed.

The Scwartz sucked in Detroit one winning season in 5. What is the fascination with this guy? he leaves and boom their in the playoffs.

His defense in Buffalo was completly built, had a year of success and he was handed the keys. Just what did he do besides tightening up the run D? There are probably several DC's that could have acomplished what he did this year. Considering the talent he was handed.

He offers an in house replacement, continuity from last years success. With the right guys on Offense, Schwartz could continue to monitor the defensive while Pep or Henderson take the reigns as DC. Schwartz is a guy with head coaching experience and I'd rather roll with him than risk losing another DC for a 4th year in a row

I am supportive of Schwartz being the HC.......I recall that Marv Levy was great with the Bills, BUT, he took a fail in a prior stint with KC. Similarily, Belicheck took a fail in Cleveland, and was all world with the Pats. So, Schwartz had a gig with the Lions, and it didn't work out. OK, lets try him and see if he learned anything last time. He sure hit the ground running here in Buffalo. So, I am A OK with Schwartz getting the job. Is there a risk, yes. Is it ad bad choice, no its not. If I were making the decision, I might do that. Of course, not all HC's succeed in their second gig......still, lets give him a shot. Unfortunately, whoever will be the head football guy for the Bills will not necessarily have a relationship with Schwartz, and these guys usually bring in their Gumba's (see Marrone, Gailey, Jauron etc etc)

Edited by bigK14094

I think Schwartz would do great with a fresh start here in Buffalo. People learn from their mistakes. He has connections and could bring in someone good to run the offense. His players love him and it seems he likes it in Buffalo. There would be less of a shake up and he is young enough to possibly be here a while. Get 'er done, Terry! And do it soon....there is lots to do this off season!

If I had my choice, I think it would probably be Schwartz. Normally, I'm not a big fan of hiring DCs as head coaches, especially when the offense is as awful as this one has been, but at the same time, there's something to be said for continuity. By retaining Schwartz, you likely guarantee that the defense remains one of the better units in the league, and they've proven that with a good defense, they can be fairly competitive. If he learned from his mistakes in Detroit and if he can find a decent offensive coordinator and if Whaley can find a decent QB, it just might work out. In any event, I think its the move with the least downside, as opposed to picking an outsider who will inevitably blow up the roster yet again.

Edited by Brandon

I'm tossed with Schwartz. Some coaches are just better coordinators than head coaches and I feel he falls in that category. Is the right move when we so desperately need an offense to hire a defensive mind coach? Maybe because he does have the experience that others may lack.Can he bring in a solid offensive guru?Would he necessarily leave if someone other than him is named head coach? With the talent on d we have already can someone other than Schwartz continue to keep them a solid unit. I am just not sold with his time in Detroit. If he is to be our next coach he better be brink a top offensive mind with him.

His Det. years worry me, but if he came in with the DL or DB coach as DC and a really solid OC hire maybe. I do want the D to stay together and in his system, plus the players love him and play their hearts out for him. He made crap choices it seems in Det. at OC though and his HC decisions were not the best (his teams always were undisciplined which has been sort of the same here with Maronne, too though)

Continuity with the D is nice but it'd have to be an AWFUL coach to ruin them. It's all about finding someone that has a plan at qb - you better believe JS has been chasing an offensive coordinator hard the last day or two

you mean Wanny?

My top choice would be Schwartz for many reasons: (1) continuity (2) players like playing for him (3) Comes from the Belicheck family tree so he has the connections (4) top coaches failed at their first gig, like Belicheck and Carroll so why not Schwartz?

Alternative choice would be Rex Ryan just because he is animated, players like him and he knows the AFC East well. Plus, the rivalry with the Jets would be amazing, Marrone vs Ryan. Def. a Monday night matchup.

I think Frank Reich is too green for HC but would be a fantastic choice for offensive coordinator/assist head coach.

His Det. years worry me, but if he came in with the DL or DB coach as DC and a really solid OC hire maybe. I do want the D to stay together and in his system, plus the players love him and play their hearts out for him. He made crap choices it seems in Det. at OC though and his HC decisions were not the best (his teams always were undisciplined which has been sort of the same here with Maronne, too though)

you mean Wanny?

Wanny plus injuries to Mario, our other DE, and marcel checking out would be the type of disaster that is needed to ruin our defense

Just on Schwartz in Detroit... people forget he inherited the 0-16 Lions. His first 3 years with that time he performed a major turn around to make the play-offs in year 3. After that things went sour a bit and part of that was unquestionable on him. I also worry that with his hands off the defense a bit they didn't perform defensively as well as they should have done - there was great talent there and they were #1 in the league this year I think. People presume making a top coordinator a HC helps keep that side of the ball in good check but it doesn't always happen that way.

He will get an interview, I think there is little doubt about that and then it is down to can he convince them that he is the right guy. If Whaley is safe then the stability argument holds water and I make Schwartz favourite. If Whaley is going to be gone then I doubt Schwartz gets the job.

He wouldn't be my first choice but there are some pluses to promoting him.

My top choice would be Schwartz for many reasons: (1) continuity (2) players like playing for him (3) Comes from the Belicheck family tree so he has the connections (4) top coaches failed at their first gig, like Belicheck and Carroll so why not Schwartz?

Alternative choice would be Rex Ryan just because he is animated, players like him and he knows the AFC East well. Plus, the rivalry with the Jets would be amazing, Marrone vs Ryan. Def. a Monday night matchup.

I think Frank Reich is too green for HC but would be a fantastic choice for offensive coordinator/assist head coach.

On the bright side, he took a team decimated by the bad personnel moves of Matt Millen and got them to the playoffs in 3 years. From what I read, part of the regression in his last year was the regression of Stafford down the stretch of 2013. I'd love to see Schwartz as HC and Reich as OC.

I also worry that with his hands off the defense a bit they didn't perform defensively as well as they should have done - there was great talent there and they were #1 in the league this year I think.

One thing to keep in mind about his defenses in Detroit. That same 0-16 team had one of the absolute worst defenses in NFL history. They gave up 6470 yards and 517 points in 2008. He took them from dead last in the league to a respectable 13th and 16th in his final two seasons.

The other thing with Schwartz is that you keep the Defensive coaches (who are under contract). That would prevent Marrone from taking them all to the Jets. Thats a big slap in the face to Marrone (although this is not a REASON to hire Schwartz...but it is a benefit).

Absolutely. Look at the talent on both sides of the ball and you see a complete failure at the head coaching position.

Many of the best coordinators rose to be failed head coaches and then fell back where they belong.

Few coordinators turned coaches get a second chance and even fewer are successful the second time around.

Please leave him be as a very good DC.

If Schwartz can bring in a trestman, I'm completely okay with this. The atmosphere he created on the D was amazing and the players loved him. I think that's a good start.

I don't like how things ended in Detroit and that did make me nervous, but I'm not against it.

Overall, I don't think it would be worse. But I also don't know if he has the ability to identify a good qb

Its a great thing that if Schwartz is retained that you have one third of your team that will play their guts out for the guy ! Plus he has that fire in him to win , he won't take a back seat to any one as he showed with the Harbaugh thing a couple years ago .

The guy has the experience of more than one hat & wasn't terrible at the HC ing thing just needed better offensive coaches & this could be his chance to take the experience he learned in Detroit & put it to good use .

The Bills have made a lot worse choices at HC including the one that just left . I never did like the hire !!

Just to add one more thing do you think Orton's action could have been directly linked to what he saw out of Marrone during his time hear & do you think Marrone taught him or told him how to go about leaving the way he did ? It sure looks like it now doesn't it !!

Happy trails Maroon !!

The more i think about it, id possibly be ok with Schwartz, if hes able to bring in a top notch OC. The more i read of peoples opinions i think Schwartz has earned it, hoping he learned some things in Detroit. He could maintain a strong influence on D and leave the offense to an offensive guru. This may be a good situation.

As , eh, as i was on Marrone this year, ive said to myself many times over the last few weeks, at least we arent going to be looking for a head coach this offseason. That thought sure has flown out the window.

Just to add one more thing do you think Orton's action could have been directly linked to what he saw out of Marrone during his time hear & do you think Marrone taught him or told him how to go about leaving the way he did ? It sure looks like it now doesn't it !!

Happy trails Maroon !!

Yeah, i think they both knew what each other were doing.

IMO Schwartz is the best option in order to not lose control of the situation! You are going to be coming back with the strength of your team(defense) pretty much the same as last year, you have to think the veterans on the team will appreciate some consistency on that side of the ball. Then you promote pepper to d coordinator and go out and get the best offensive coordinator money can buy!

we can't lose schwartz cause he's under contract. I know a hc might want to choose their own dc but it would be hard for a head coach to want to come in and want to rock the boat of the defense. That coach will know he needs that defense in tact for success. Give jim a raise and bring in an offense guy has hc.

I'd like to see Schwartz get the top gig and make pepper the d-coordinator he so covets. On O...any1 but Hackett...i don't think Reich makes a parallel move from Rivers to...who the !@#$ knows. But I'm totally against an overhaul and starting over again.

Its won't be his job as a head coach to identify good QB's to sign - that would be the GM/OC/ect. Of course he would have to sign off on it but I think he knows his own strengths and weaknesses by now and will leave that to the offensive side of the organization. I want to keep the defensive side of the staff together so I'm in favor of giving Schwartz the job unless Terry and KIm want to completely blow up everything and start from scratch, which Saint Doug just gave them the oppertunity to do if they wish.

IMO Schwartz is the best option in order to not lose control of the situation! You are going to be coming back with the strength of your team(defense) pretty much the same as last year, you have to think the veterans on the team will appreciate some consistency on that side of the ball. Then you promote pepper to d coordinator and go out and get the best offensive coordinator money can buy!

Losing control of the situation might be a bit dramatic with the verbiage

promote Schwartz to HC, and Johnson to DC..

then find an OC who'll work with the GM to meet the following 2015 goals:

• develop an offensive line that can move laterally and reach their second level assignments
  • develop an outside zone running game
  • layer read option, play option pass, screen and sweep packages into the outside zone game
  • develop a vertical passing game based on running from coverage - not timing
  • layer play option pass, and screen packages into the vertical passing game

we have skill position players on the roster that many teams would covet, and we've squandered them.

we need to simplify the reads for both EJ and our receivers in the vertical passing game, to allow them to use their athleticism to make plays.. give them more smash and hi-lo vertical concepts instead of the horizontal timing routes they've had problems with.

we need the OC to stay on top of his position coaches, to insure they're being drilled to the point that there's no doubt what their responsibility is each play

find me the guy to do that - and has no problem answering to his HC - and it's a start

The other thing with Schwartz is that you keep the Defensive coaches (who are under contract). That would prevent Marrone from taking them all to the Jets. Thats a big slap in the face to Marrone (although this is not a REASON to hire Schwartz...but it is a benefit).

I like that Schwartz pretty much assembled the current defensive staff (ie very few left overs from Pettine's regime) which tells me he could be tight with these guys. It also likely allow Pepper to get his shot at DC which part of the reason he said he left New England so he's stay here. Also he's tight with Crossman being he used to be Schwartz's ST coach in Detroit. So it mean all he'd have to do is likely find some new offensive coaches, as I can't see Hackett sticking around without Marrone. In a perfect world I'd rather we keep Schwartz at DC and bring in Kubiak as HC but Schwarz as HC isn't a bad alternative plan as long as he brings in a better offensive coaching staff.

promote Schwartz to HC, and Johnson to DC..

then find an OC who'll work with the GM to meet the following 2015 goals:

• develop an offensive line that can move laterally and reach their second level assignments
  • develop an outside zone running game
  • layer read option, play option pass, screen and sweep packages into the outside zone game
  • develop a vertical passing game based on running from coverage - not timing
  • layer play option pass, and screen packages into the vertical passing game

we have skill position players on the roster that many teams would covet, and we've squandered them.

we need to simplify the reads for both EJ and our receivers in the vertical passing game, to allow them to use their athleticism to make plays.. give them more smash and hi-lo vertical concepts instead of the horizontal timing routes they've had problems with.

we need the OC to stay on top of his position coaches, to insure they're being drilled to the point that there's no doubt what their responsibility is each play

find me the guy to do that - and has no problem answering to his HC - and it's a start

Dirk Koetter, Mark Trestman are available.

Since most want Frank Reich, why not hire Schwartz as HC and bring Reich in as OC/Assistant HC? Schwartz can then promote Henderson or Pepper as DC and off you go. Whaley can then get to work on fixing the roster. Personnel wise the roster is not that bad though it does need some work, this team doesn't need an all knowing football czar they just need a coach who will play the players that the GM and management bring in.