Head Coach Candidate: Jim Schwartz

Luxy312

I'd also be fine with Schwartz. The way I see it is that we had no offense last season and everything on defense. We were a top 5 defense and our offense ranked 26th. Our offense was never going to improve while Marrone was here, so now we have the chance to get an offense and our team with an offense in the top half is a playoff team. Let's keep our defense (in Schwartz) and go get ourselves an offense.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Scwartz sucked in Detroit one winning season in 5. What is the fascination with this guy? he leaves and boom their in the playoffs.

His defense in Buffalo was completly built, had a year of success and he was handed the keys. Just what did he do besides tightening up the run D? There are probably several DC's that could have acomplished what he did this year. Considering the talent he was handed.

Yeah, i can't understand the people in this thread. Schwartz was a complete disaster in Detroit. His last two years of coaching in Detroit could not have been worse. Some epic underachieving, completely undisciplined and just flat out quitting on him. His results with that talent were almost surreally bad.

Tell you what, Schwartz is like every other retread of hot coordinator... nothing without a QB. I'd take him actually. He may have just lost that team in Detroit for whatever reason. I'd take him over Gase, Reich and any other coordinator mentioned so far.... 1) continuity and the players like him. Put one of his staffers in at DC and that D stays pretty good and 2) he's been a HC before and I think that matters. Like all of us, I'm sure he learned a lot from his gig in Detroit so why not. The caveat is, unlike Gase and Reich, he'll need a majorly good OC and who is out there?

It's a tough call. Here's the issue.... if they pass him over, he's gone. No one sticks around after being dissed. Marrone will pay him more if he gets a job, or someone else will too.

Tell you what, Schwartz is like every other retread of hot coordinator... nothing without a QB. I'd take him actually. He may have just lost that team in Detroit for whatever reason. I'd take him over Gase, Reich and any other coordinator mentioned so far.... 1) continuity and the players like him. Put one of his staffers in at DC and that D stays pretty good and 2) he's been a HC before and I think that matters. Like all of us, I'm sure he learned a lot from his gig in Detroit so why not. The caveat is, unlike Gase and Reich, he'll need a majorly good OC and who is out there?

It's a tough call. Here's the issue.... if they pass him over, he's gone. No one sticks around after being dissed. Marrone will pay him more if he gets a job, or someone else will too.

He had Stafford though. He's not the best, but I'd take him for the next 5 years.

He had Stafford though. He's not the best, but I'd take him for the next 5 years.

Yeah and I do not see Schwartz getting an interview anywhere unless it's a favor to his agent.

He really soiled the Detroit organization and that memory is pretty fresh everywhere except in Buffalo where he had a good year as a DC.

If you want a retread DC who has done a good job as a DC since he got fired.....and who actually had some success as a HC.....then interview Del Rio or Wade.

Over the last couple of days, I've seen a lot of suggestions for head coach. I don't think that Frank Reich would be a bad choice. He has no experience, but maybe going with a guy that has some history with this team, albeit not as a coach, would be good for the team and fans alike. I also don't mind Bill Cowher. Talk about a guy with experience and history! The title of this post says it all though. Why not Schwartz? Hasn't he earned something by taking a defense that was really good with Pettine and making it even better? Another idea here would be to make Schwartz the HC and bring in Reich as the OC. I'm just throwing out some ideas here, but a bit surprised that Schwartz hasn't even been part of the conversation.

I'm not so sure you get Reich as OC. I think he's gunning for a HC gig. If he stays in SD he has a QB.

I loved what Schwartz did with the D this year.

I did not think much of his teams in Detroit, especially his last two years there. I thought the talent was there but the team was undisciplined and under-motivated. This year's record seems to bear me out.

If I'm interviewing Schwartz, I'm particularly interested in what he has to say about that and about who he would like to bring in as OC and DC. My decision flows with what I hear on those subjects.

Dirk Koetter, Mark Trestman are available.

yes.. i like what Trestman accomplished last year with McCown.. he obviously doesn't need a big talent to get results. as far my beloved outside zone running game, goes.. he'd have to revamp our line quite a bit, and i don't know if he has the passion for that .. but since there are more Alex Gibbs VHS tapes laying in the basements of American footbal coaches, than there are of Deep Throat - i'm guessing that finding an energetic young elephant herder shouldn't be too hard.

honstly - i didn't know Koetter by name - but i just read he may be competing with Trestman for the Bucs open OC gig.. and yeah - that guy knows how to get the ball downfield - granted, he did have a QB that's more accurate than ours.. i don't know what his contract lloks like, but maybe McCown becomes available after the draft - that might make for a nice reunion for him and Trestman at St John Fischer this summer.. i'm not writing EJ off, but these two ahve proven to be a capable duo - and all we need is to take advantage of some of the field position our D gives us to post more wins.. the better the O - the farther we go! there's Russ's new promo :D

I see Schwartz as a fall back option, and I don't mean that in a terrible way. Lions went 11-5 after he's fired with an extremely favorable schedule. They were 2-4 against teams .500 or better. I'd like to do better but think he's an obvious safe choice.

Yeah, i can't understand the people in this thread. Schwartz was a complete disaster in Detroit. His last two years of coaching in Detroit could not have been worse. Some epic underachieving, completely undisciplined and just flat out quitting on him. His results with that talent were almost surreally bad.

agree that was the the case there.. but was that the case here?

here's the thing, by promoting Schwartz, we don't start from scratch.. all we do is get an OC that can get better production from who we already have, and work with the GM on improving that where possible. we're in fantastic shape on the defensive side of the ball, so the last thing we should do is jeopardize what may be an elite NFL defense next season.

He lets you make the changes in the front office you want and at the same time bring some sort of continuity to the team as well, ie. starting competly fresh again. Whaley would have to have a big say in OC (actually entire offinsive staff - assuming Hackett goes) with him and let him concentrate on head coaching/defensive aspects of the team.

Schwarz has already demonstrated the Peter Principle in Detroit. But, it would be a real shame to lose him as DC.

You could have said the same about Marv after Kansas City or Belichick after Cleveland.

No doubt, the last two years were disappointing. But otherwise you're kidding, right? Getting THAT franchise to 10-6 and the playoffs after taking over the worst team (by far) in recent NFL history ain't chopped liver. Also, they year they went 7-9 they had a number of skin-of-their-teeth losses (including one on thanksgiving that necessitated a change in the challenge rules). I'm not discounting the losing, but he's hardly Vince Tobin. He's actually a genuinely smart guy, unlike a lot of the martinet meatheads that end up with jobs.

Edited by dave mcbride

This is my personal choice for HC. Granted, the offense needs work, but that can be done by hiring an OC more competent than Hacket...which really isn't saying much is it?

Jim Schwartz has won over the guys that he was supposed to coach. Kyle Williams, the veteran leader and the heart and soul of our defense, has used words to the effect of "Chain him to his car if you have to, don't let him leave." Our D is what is going to lead this team. Try to convince me of anything otherwise. They already buy into Schwartz completely.

I do worry, a little, about his stint, and that he may be a better coordinator than head coach, but to me, any decision at head coach has to include Schwartz in the picture

No doubt, the last two years were disappointing. But otherwise you're kidding, right? Getting THAT franchise to 10-6 and the playoffs after taking over the worst team (by far) in recent NFL history ain't chopped liver. Also, they year they went 7-9 they had a number of skin-of-their-teeth losses (including one on thanksgiving that necessitated a change in the challenge rules). I'm not discounting the losing, but he's hardly Vince Tobin. He's actually a genuinely smart guy, unlike a lot of the martinet meatheads that end up with jobs.

that's the way I look at it too, taking the worst team in the league to the playoffs in his 3rd year. He's certainly intense and emotional, but he's clearly a sharp guy that players like to play for. Contrary to "losing the team" in Detroit, most of the players defended him and wanted him back.

The Scwartz sucked in Detroit one winning season in 5. What is the fascination with this guy? he leaves and boom their in the playoffs.

His defense in Buffalo was completly built, had a year of success and he was handed the keys. Just what did he do besides tightening up the run D? There are probably several DC's that could have acomplished what he did this year. Considering the talent he was handed.

Most NFL HC's do better the second time around. I'd take Schwartz in a heartbeat. It would allow the team to keep the defensive system intact and just hire an OC with some experience. In my mind, that's a win win.

You could have said the same about Marv after Kansas City or Belichick after Cleveland.

To be honest, I'm starting to sway my feelings about a JS as HC-- especially after what some of defense has been saying about him. And, I think most of us would agree, when the defense was on the field, it was a whole different attitude. Hard to imagine those two units occupying the same locker room.

I think, ideally, we would keep him as DC. But, if it came down to losing him to another team, I'd be good with him as HC.

Never thought I would say that about him. I'm usually wrong about everything that doesn't include mostly hindsight. I was originally very unhappy with the Schwarz signing last year. In my mind, the Lions, under his leadership, were the dirtiest team in the league.

Dick Jauron had an ivy league degree and he turned the Bears into a 13-3 team.

He ALSO had losing records the other 4 seasons.

I think discounting the losing is EXACTLY what you are doing.

5 years is a nice sample size.

Can he get better? Sure.

Can Dick Jauron get better? Why not? Bill Polian loved Jauron it's not like every expert thought he couldn't do better than he did in Chicago.

The reason why you DON'T hire Schwartz is because of what you know.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Dick Jauron had an ivy league degree and he turned the Bears into a 13-3 team.

He ALSO had losing records the other 4 seasons.

I think exactly what you are doing is discounting the losing.

5 years is a nice sample size.

Can he get better? Sure.

Can Dick Jauron get better? Why not? Bill Polian loved Jauron it's not like every expert thought he couldn't do better than he did in Chicago.

The reason why you DON'T hire Schwartz is because of what you know, not what you hope.

Schwartz is a weird one to me. He is widely regarded as being detail-oriented and analytical, yet his Detroit teams were known for undisciplined play, terrible penalties, and a general lack of control by the head coach. He seems to have the skill set to become a good head coach but something was definitely wrong in Detroit. And there have been lots of reports this year about the players responding better to Caldwell (Caldwell!), who is known for preparing his players not only to play in the games, but for life, as well (like Dungy). Of course, while the Lions are better this year, they still strike me as undisciplined and rather stupid (stomping on people, losing to Marrone's Bills, etc.). And Schwartz's players on the Bills seem ready to run through walls for the guy.

So I'm just at a loss with him. Very tough to gauge.

Schwartz is a weird one to me. He is widely regarded as being detail-oriented and analytical, yet his Detroit teams were known for undisciplined play, terrible penalties, and a general lack of control by the head coach. He seems to have the skill set to become a good head coach but something was definitely wrong in Detroit. And there have been lots of reports this year about the players responding better to Caldwell (Caldwell!), who is known for preparing his players not only to play in the games, but for life, as well (like Dungy). Of course, while the Lions are better this year, they still strike me as undisciplined and rather stupid (stomping on people, losing to Marrone's Bills, etc.). And Schwartz's players on the Bills seem ready to run through walls for the guy.

So I'm just at a loss with him. Very tough to gauge.

Look at it this way:

Can he lose with a good roster? yes

Can he still lose with that and a star QB? yes

Can he still lose with those and the best individual offensive and defensive players in his conference? yes

He was fired for a reason. Because there was no other choice. He proved his failure.

Like I said, he COULD get better. But a large sample size points to him just being another excellent DC who does not make a good HC.

And anyone who says 'but, but Belichick in Cleveland.." Schwartz HAD a QB.

Defense is much better than they were with Pettine. I no longer expect them to collapse with a lead. I think players will play with a major chip on their shoulders for him. All he needs to do is dump Hacket ASAP and us Bills fans say a Novenau that Marrone goes to Jets and brings Hackett with him.

I could live with it….so long as we get a NASTY OC. The undisciplined knock on his Detroit teams is a little bit troubling, you always seem to have that with a players coach. I think we can overcome, again, if we get an offensive madman calling our plays.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

"The undisciplined knock on his Detroit teams is a little bit troubling, you always seem to have that with a players coach."

unless you have leaders in the locker room that set the bar high

no coach wants to teach men how to behave - positive peer pressure frees them from that

perfect example was Coughlin.. Giants needed discipline, and he thought it was his responsibility to provide that.. whole thing blew up on him.. but when he let his leaders lead - new ballgame

Edited by BackInDaDay

Look at it this way:

Can he lose with a good roster? yes

Can he still lose with that and a star QB? yes

Can he still lose with those and the best individual offensive and defensive players in his conference? yes

He was fired for a reason. Because there was no other choice. He proved his failure.

Like I said, he COULD get better. But a large sample size points to him just being another excellent DC who does not make a good HC.

And anyone who says 'but, but Belichick in Cleveland.." Schwartz HAD a QB.

You have to give the guy credit for taking the worst team in football to the playoffs in his 3rd year.

I suppose you can blame him for Stafford's meltdown over that last season in 2013. The Lions were 6-3 after week 10, then...

Lost @ Steelers 37-27. After leading 27-20 at the half, Stafford went 3-16 in the second half as the lions were blanked.

Lost to TB 24-21; Lions had 5 TOs, with 4 INTs by Stafford.

Beat the Pack on Thanksgiving day, Stafford's last good game of the season.

Lost @ Philly 34-20; Stafford went 10/25 with no TDs or INTs, but fumbled 5 times, losing 1.

Lost to Ravens 18-16; Stafford threw 3 INTs.

Lost to NYG 23-20 in OT (controversial decision by Schwartz at end of reg); Stafford went 25/42 with 2 INTs

Lost a meaningless game @ Minn; Stafford was decent with no C.Johnson in the lineup.

Was it his coaching that caused Stafford second half of the season collapse?

Edited by TPS

You have to give the guy credit for taking the worst team in football to the playoffs in his 3rd year.

I suppose you can blame him for Stafford's meltdown over that last season in 2013. The Lions were 6-3 after week 10, then...

Lost @ Steelers 37-27. After leading 27-20 at the half, Stafford went 3-16 in the second half as the lions were blanked.

Lost to TB 24-21; Lions had 5 TOs, with 4 INTs by Stafford.

Beat the Pack on Thanksgiving day, Stafford's last good game of the season.

Lost @ Philly 34-20; Stafford went 10/25 with no TDs or INTs, but fumbled 5 times, losing 1.

Lost to Ravens 18-16; Stafford threw 3 INTs.

Lost to NYG 23-20 in OT (controversial decision by Schwartz at end of reg); Stafford went 25/42 with 2 INTs

Lost a meaningless game @ Minn; Stafford was decent with no C.Johnson in the lineup.

Was it his coaching that caused Stafford second half of the season collapse?

And of course there is 4-12 in 2012.

You can just as easily talk yourself into hiring Wade Phillips, Jack Del Rio, Dick LeBeau, Norv Turner and so on. There are lots of retreads who have offset much failure with some or moderate success. In fact, most of those available men have done far more as HC's than Schwartz.

What you want is a head coach whose work makes the team greater than the sum of it's parts.

Is Schwartz that? Jim Caldwell's work in Detroit suggests significantly otherwise. Caldwell was a terrible college HC and lead a Colts team to the worst record in the NFL. He's not special and he improved on Schwartz. These are things we know.