RIP Ralph Wilson

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite Ralph Wilson moment: when Tagliabue fined him $50k for speaking out after the "Just Give It To 'Em" game, and Ralph responded:

“The commissioner lecturing to me as if I were a novice, instead of one who has been involved in football infinitely longer than he has, contends that criticizing a call has ‘destructive and corrosive effects on the game.’ What is more destructive and corrosive — errant calls in front of millions of viewers, or my statements of opinion? People all over the country registered shock at the way the officials, however honorable their purpose, took the game away from us. Even the league has admitted to us that the calls near the conclusion of the game were incorrect. I do know I don’t need pompous lectures from the commissioner and I feel that the $50,000 is not only unwarranted, but punitive in nature. The next time he may ask me to sit in the corner.”

Thanks for the memories, Ralph.

My favorite Ralph Wilson moment: when Tagliabue fined him $50k for speaking out after the "Just Give It To 'Em" game, and Ralph responded:

There are few things better than people who hand you your ass in that kind of way.

:thumbsup:

I will be the first to admit, I have been critical of Mr Wilson over the years, but it is impossible for his passing to occur, and not acknoweldge him, and thank him for the memories, or, moreover, making the memories ours. With Jim Kelly ailing, and now this, I realize more and more how much the Buffalo Bills mean to me, they are home... thanks Mr Wilson!

Edited by Buftex

I met Mr Wilson a number of times when my grandfather worked for the team in the 70's and 80's. my grandfather was a small time employee, but Mr Wilson always remembered who his family was and would always stop and say hello and ask 'aren't you Bill's grand kid'. Say what you will about him the man had class. He is the reason we have the Bills and i for one have a tear in my eye as i type this.

RIP Mr Wilson

RIP Ralph. So many memories and such a big heart. My thoughts and prayers to Ralph and his family and the entire Bills Nation. And to you, Ralph, may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Truly one in a million with such a passion for the game and a really good sense of humor. From Ralph's Hall of Fame Acceptance Speech (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/6595/ralph-wilson-s-hall-of-fame-speech)

"...In the fall of 1959, I read in the paper where a young champ named Lamar Hunt and Bud Adams were starting a new professional football league. Lamar lived in Dallas, and he couldn't get an expansion franchise from the NFL. So I decided to start my own league. I happened to have a winter home in Miami, which was one of the prospective sites that I read in the paper. So I called Lamar and told him of my interest. And he said, well, if you're interested, you better get down here right away, because there are other people that are likewise interested. So I flew down the next day, and he granted me the Miami franchise. And we both went down to talk to the city fathers, and see if we could lease the Orange Bowl. It was the only place to play football in those days. The city fathers would not let a new league lease the Orange Bowl, because they had a bad time with another new league that came before us. So I flew home and forgot about it. About four or five days later I got a call from Lamar, and he said, Ralph, we need an eighth franchise to balance out this new league. One from the east and one from the west. And I'll give you your choice of five different cities where you can place your franchise. And I picked Buffalo. It was a lucky pick, because over the years, they have supported the team in Buffalo beyond our fondest dreams. And without the support, I wouldn't be on this platform tonight...

The AFL started the new season in 1960. We played our first game in old War Memorial Stadium downtown which seated about 35,000, which was enough. And the first season in the exhibition we were playing terrible. Now towards the end of the exhibition season, we were playing the New York Titans. Now it's the New York Jets. And my friends in the stands said, Wilson, why don't you go down and talk to the team. You're behind 21-7. You can't do any worse. You've had a lousy start in your games up to date. And I said what am I gonna tell them? Well, tell them something. So at their urging, I went down and walked into our locker room, and there was our head coach, Buster Ramsey. With that expression on his face -- what are you doing in here? I said I want to talk to the team, Buster said. "Go ahead, talk to them." And I gave that team one of the most inspiring fight talks. It was reminiscent of maybe Newt Rockney or Vince Lombardi. And we lost the game 51-7. Shortly there after, Buster said to me, hey, Ralph, next time talk to the other team."

Balanced article from Sully:

Jerry Sullivan@TBNSully 23m

Ralph Wilson, a fan at heart http://bit.ly/1hnE6fx

I like this tweet from #24:

The Gilly Lock @BumpNrunGilm0re 45m

RIP Mr. Ralph Wilson Jr. Thoughts and prayers are with your friends and family. Can't wait to rock the Ralph this season in your honor.

Edited by YoloinOhio

This is something I've never really mentioned, but I play in a few bands in town, and one of them was hired by the Wilson's to perform for the after party when Ralph was inducted into the hall. It was a long day for him, he didn't get to his own party until close to midnight as I recall. He looked very frail, and walked with the assistance of two aides. He sat on the foot of our stage and talked to the crowd, thanking them and telling a couple of stories.

I managed to take a few pictures of him as he sat there, and wound up getting a rather nice shot of Jim Kelly talking to him after his speech.

94c1cd3d-eff2-48ca-9c14-2c685e0f0ae0_zps1e95e68b.jpg

166_zpsea9d1c6a.jpg

179_zpsebf85382.jpg

per NFLN and Ian Rapoport -

Kraft spoke on behalf of NFL owners to say there is a commitment to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

I could almost change my opinion of Kraft if that's from his heart.

Doubtful Jerrah will say anything. Even though he owed Ralph for things his rich butt didn't understand in the CBA.