RIP Ralph Wilson

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone should read this article. Am I the only one who finds this disgusting and tasteless???

I HATE the Toronto media.

http://www.thestar.c...onto_kelly.html

CBF

I read it last night and found it to be inaccurate in some spots and tasteless in others.

There is truth that some thought of Ralph as being a cheapskate. And there is truth he wasn't universally loved in Buffalo or by Bills fans. Perhaps if Cathel Kelly waited a few days it wouldn't have seemed so... harsh.

I read it last night and found it to be inaccurate in some spots and tasteless in others.

There is truth that some thought of Ralph as being a cheapskate. And there is truth he wasn't universally loved in Buffalo or by Bills fans. Perhaps if Cathel Kelly waited a few days it wouldn't have seemed so... harsh.

I agree. He was very tasteless and I find it convienient that there is no comments section on the site

CBF

@ChrisBrownBills

Packers Pres. & CEO on Wilson’s vision http://wp.me/plmrg-9RU

He also was a friend of the Packers, a fellow small-market team, as the league evolved its business operations to ensure all teams had firm financial footing to achieve competitive balance on the field. The success of the league is a lasting testament to Ralph’s vision.

“On a personal note, as a life-long Bills fan, I have a great appreciation for all he did for the Bills and the Western New York community over the years.”

Nice tribute by Mark Murphy.

Everyone should read this article. Am I the only one who finds this disgusting and tasteless???

I HATE the Toronto media.

http://www.thestar.c...onto_kelly.html

CBF

I found it hilarious. There's something about an article complaining about a dead man's megalomania in "naming a stadium after himself" (point of note: the county named it after him; he wanted "Buffalo Bills Stadium") then following it with the observation that the start of the "New NFL" will be with Bon Jovi bringing the Bills to Toronto that is richly ironic.

I really don't think a petition is needed, there will be some kind of dedication on the uniform.

I would not be surprised if the entire league did so.

I found it hilarious. There's something about an article complaining about a dead man's megalomania in "naming a stadium after himself" (point of note: the county named it after him; he wanted "Buffalo Bills Stadium") then following it with the observation that the start of the "New NFL" will be with Bon Jovi bringing the Bills to Toronto that is richly ironic.

I would not be surprised if the entire league did so.

Thank-you. Been trying to tell people that for years. Pataki also insisted the stadium also be named after Mr. Wilson.

GO BILLS!!!

With all that's been going on I've been watching a lot of Youtube Bills stuff and found this. You don't have to watch it all just the snip with Talley at the 1:29 mark. 60 minutes baby! We told you we'd take it 60. :)

Edited by Chef Jim

I agree. He was very tasteless and I find it convienient that there is no comments section on the site

CBF

How they could write this up a day after his death even before the funeral is disgusting. It was riddled with inaccuracies, and if you read the Buff News this morning, there is a good article on taxes. It makes complete sense he was trying to evade estate and capital gains taxes. BTW - Thank Obama who raised capital gains again after the previous admin lowered as they were excessive.

Since in trust there could be direction from Ralph that would be kept confidential. It is possible as he really did love this city and team. It's possible he placed in his trust that any new owner who keeps the team in Buffalo would get the first shot at the team. Then the bidding starts. It's really up to Wilson's family if they would for example take 950 mil from a Pegula or Golisano, vs. the AEG owner in LA who offers 1 bil. Would the Wilson take a little less, not a ton to keep it in Buffalo as that is what are Wilson's wishes.

We'll see. Can this provide leverage and pressure to NY to now help build a stadium. If NYS can peruade Goodell they'll do it but with a 20 year deal to keep the Bills in Buffalo. We'll see as I know I'm having a wishful thinking moment.

How they could write this up a day after his death even before the funeral is disgusting. It was riddled with inaccuracies, and if you read the Buff News this morning, there is a good article on taxes. It makes complete sense he was trying to evade estate and capital gains taxes. BTW - Thank Obama who raised capital gains again after the previous admin lowered as they were excessive.

Since in trust there could be direction from Ralph that would be kept confidential. It is possible as he really did love this city and team. It's possible he placed in his trust that any new owner who keeps the team in Buffalo would get the first shot at the team. Then the bidding starts. It's really up to Wilson's family if they would for example take 950 mil from a Pegula or Golisano, vs. the AEG owner in LA who offers 1 bil. Would the Wilson take a little less, not a ton to keep it in Buffalo as that is what are Wilson's wishes.

We'll see. Can this provide leverage and pressure to NY to now help build a stadium. If NYS can peruade Goodell they'll do it but with a 20 year deal to keep the Bills in Buffalo. We'll see as I know I'm having a wishful thinking moment.

I agree. It was disgusting and actually makes me angry!

CBF

For the past 3 years I haven't gotten my training camp hug from Ralph and now there won't be another chance. He was a wonderful man and will be missed by many. His family are all in my thoughts and prayers.

There has been criticism of Peter King from time to time here as there is of all media members.

But I thought he wrote a great epitaph for Ralph. King, with some ties to the Bills in the past (local?) gets it.

I have always considered the Bills more than a sports team. Having left buffalo in 1978, after having season tickets for ten years, the Bills were more than like a public trust.They were Buffalo.

As for Ralph, I still haven't forgiven him for firing Bill Polian.

My epitaph: Ralph Wilson: He was a lousy owner, but at least he kept the team in buffalo!

The Bills are indeed Buffalo.

I fear that the NFL's tipping point for going beyond greed will be severing its ties with the Buffalo fan base and moving the Bills. I would rather it be so many other events…..it just seems to be our fate.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

For the past 3 years I haven't gotten my training camp hug from Ralph and now there won't be another chance. He was a wonderful man and will be missed by many. His family are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Hope you are well

From the article: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/26/ralph-wilson-buffalo-bills-dies/?eref=sihp

"I asked him what made him keep the franchise in western New York. This was a man not from Buffalo, and watched during his ownership of the Bills as Buffalo dropped from the 18th-largest market in America to 49th, and resisted feelers and offers to sell the team for a monstrous profit or to move the franchise to a lucrative market—Los Angeles, for instance.

“I couldn’t bear to do that to the people of Buffalo,’’ he said. “They’re such good people, and they love that team. They need that team.”

Thanks for posting.

Edited by BillsFanM.D.

Oh ok I was not trying to bash Marv or anything because I have nothing but the up most respect for him and I thank you very much for the links you provided. Edited by shadowcat10