RIP Ralph Wilson

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've avoid here since Ralph passed. It just made me really sad. I don't give a crap about the future. I've loved hearing all the stories of what a great guy Ralph was. I'm sad because I don't think he got his proper due while he was alive. He kept a franchise in a dying city where a lot of people would have left. He certainly had his faults as an owner but as a man, he was as good as it gets. God Bless you Ralph and I feel we have a special season coming up to honor you. Thank you for everything!!!

I've avoid here since Ralph passed. It just made me really sad. I don't give a crap about the future. I've loved hearing all the stories of what a great guy Ralph was. I'm sad because I don't think he got his proper due while he was alive. He kept a franchise in a dying city where a lot of people would have left. He certainly had his faults as an owner but as a man, he was as good as it gets. God Bless you Ralph and I feel we have a special season coming up to honor you. Thank you for everything!!!

He was inducted into the HOF, and I'm glad he had a few years afterwards to enjoy the honor. Better than having it awarded to him posthumously. So, in that sense, he did get his due (at least as a league founder).

He was inducted into the HOF, and I'm glad he had a few years afterwards to enjoy the honor. Better than having it awarded to him posthumously. So, in that sense, he did get his due (at least as a league founder).

True, I just don't think all fans apperciated him while he was here. And ESPN (I know, I know) couldn't even do a main page story on him. The banner here still makes me. :cry:

@JeffRussoWKBW

A public remembrance for #Bills owner Ralph Wilson is set for Saturday April 5th.

#Bills celebration and remembrance of owner Ralph Wilson set for Sat. April 5 1-4 at the Bills Fieldhouse.

#Bills Fans and the public are invited. The celebration of Mr. Wilson will include exhibits and memorabilia.

@buffalobills

Fan celebration and remembrance of Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. planned for April 5. DETAILS: http://ow.ly/v87vu

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Rest in peace Mr Wilson. One of my favorite Ralph Wilson memories has to do with an Andre Reed contract negotiation. Reed and Wilson met over the matter and Andre told Ralph that he bled Buffalo red white and blue. After hearing that Mr Wilson relented and said ok Reed ok. And gave Reed the contract. That story painted a picture in my mind and made me a bigger fan of both men. RIP Ralph Wilson and condolences to the Wilson family.

let me paraphrase a bit from the article .

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24508977/ralph-wilson-once-questioned-horrible-officiating-subsequent-50k-fine

Wilson was also known for his "grit, determination and resolve," In 1998, Wilson's remarks led to a $50,000 fine from then-NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

After two controversial calls -- including a suspect pass-interference penalty as time expired -- led to the Bills losing a close game to the Patriots

I've been watching football for six decades. Pass interference? What was that? We got robbed. It's awful.

Before the last play, I turned and told my daughter, Linda, 'Look, Bledsoe is going to throw a Hail Mary and we're going to get called for pass interference.' And that's what happened! I wish I could call the stock market like that! It's awful.''

let me paraphrase a bit from the article .

http://www.cbssports...equent-50k-fine

Wilson was also known for his "grit, determination and resolve," In 1998, Wilson's remarks led to a $50,000 fine from then-NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

After two controversial calls -- including a suspect pass-interference penalty as time expired -- led to the Bills losing a close game to the Patriots

I've been watching football for six decades. Pass interference? What was that? We got robbed. It's awful.

Before the last play, I turned and told my daughter, Linda, 'Look, Bledsoe is going to throw a Hail Mary and we're going to get called for pass interference.' And that's what happened! I wish I could call the stock market like that! It's awful.''

This was the "just give it to them" game. I do recall Wade pulled the team off the field for the extra point. New England lined up and kicked (or ran it in, can't remember...) unopposed.

This was the "just give it to them" game. I do recall Wade pulled the team off the field for the extra point. New England lined up and kicked (or ran it in, can't remember...) unopposed.

That was one of the worse calls of all time. the begining of the Pats b.s calls. It is that call that made me not feel an inch of sadness for NE getting the screw job this past season against the Jets with the field goal.

Ralph Wilson stuck with Buffalo and its fans for over 50 years. Other owners would have sold it to make a big profit and not care what happened to the franchise. He loved the city and its fans and will be missed. Rest in peace Ralph. You were a good man and we are better for knowing you.

I watched the game with guys pulling for NE and others who had no opinion either way. Consensus was it was a screw job. No one had ever saw a pass interference called on a jump ball in the end zone. It was total B.S. and Mr. Wilson's response cemented him as one of our own. Ripping Tags was sweet.

@ChrisBrownBills

A photo of a young Mr. Wilson at his fan memorial celebration. #Bills

BkeODvvIUAEuE5E.jpg

@JeffRussoWKBW

#Bills Center Eric Wood is here "it goes without saying that this season will be all about Ralph"

NYS Senate honors Mr. Wilson

BkeQR9SIAAI7GLj.jpg

@ChrisBrownBills

Best representation of Mr. Wilson's legacy here at his memorial celebration. #Bills

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

So, Polian revealed what I'd suspected all along: that Ralph had chances to move the team and didn't. Not only that, he voted against every franchise relocation.

That was Polian's warning to anyone looking to buy the team and move it. And while the warning doesn't carry much weight, it was still important to say and at least put out there.

Based on the "office" photo, Ralph used the same phone as I do in my office!

With all of his money, you'd think he could have at least upgraded his office TV to a flat screen HDTV. lol ;)

BTW, they should incorporate his office as a display in the new fan experience upgrade to the stadium entrance, IMO.

Thank you 26cornerblitz for the photos. As a fan living in Miami, I really appreciate it.

Do any of you guys have an estimate as to how many people attended the event?

the News article today referenced thousands of fans. Looked to be a substantial crowd from the photos I saw.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-tribute-to-wilson-draws-thousands-of-grateful-fans-to-field-house-20140405