Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

Gugny

Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

2 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

I wonder how these trades score on the trade charts.   I thought the returns were also a little weak.

I’ve wondered that as well, people keep talking about all these fifth round picks. How much value do they actually have in these trade up scenarios? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I’ve wondered that as well, people keep talking about all these fifth round picks. How much value do they actually have in these trade up scenarios? 

Saw last night the KC trade was in the top 10 weakest returns for a similar move per the value chart 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Not really. Through the entire process I wanted Beane to go all in and get Josh a stud WR1 to play with for the next 10 years. I hate being timid. 

Similarly, feels like Beane got caught with his pants down when Jacksonville took BTJr (which was stupid because they have a lot of defensive needs). 

Yeah, once I got over the KC trade, I was more disappointed we couldn’t make any trades up the board. It felt like the right time to go all in considering where Josh is in his career. This felt like a conservative McBeane play, and very much part of the philosophy that keeps us from taking the next step. You can only worry about tomorrow for so long. It’s a great team building philosophy to end a drought, but I think it’s time to be aggressive. 

42 minutes ago, NoName said:

How do you trade with KC?  The team that kicked your ass every year.  What a moron.

There’s almost no way that this works out positively. Every TD pass thrown from the NFL’s best QB (who the Bills handed to KC) to the WR that holds the combine 40 record (who the Bills handed to KC) will be an emotional trauma. It will repeatedly churn up that Mahomes trade. 

After a big trade up for one of the top 3 WRs I honestly thought that our next best option was a trade back to acquire another meaningful pick in this year’s draft. But that couldn’t be with KC. This is devastating. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The purpose of this poll is to get an idea of how the TBD community feels about Beane’s strategy on night one before the rest of the draft plays out. 

There is no “wait and see” option for a reason. 

I personally like what Beane did and I’m interested to see how others feel. 

Absolutely. I said it at least a hundred times before the draft. 28 is the absolute WORST place to be drafting, because it means you're too good to get good talent, and too bad to win it all.

Better to trade out of round 1 and take a billion whacks at the pinata.

example: Green Bay.

Have to wait and see after all this draft, but i say no this morning.

The Chiefs called for a trade in this draft? He should say: sorry, you have the wrong number, no matter what.

We dont even steal a pick from them. 

If Beane traded up with a rival in the AFC to pick, let say, a Thomas JR, without even losing a single pick in our draft, we would all say he is a genius and we would all make fun of the other team.

I have no doupt about it.

At the end, it's his team and he is well paid to built it again around Allen. He does what he wants and i respect that.

For all fans and his job, Mahomes-Worthy better dont beat us..but let say Beane has the balls to do what he wants.

Beane said he didn’t have 28 first round grades so I nave no problem with him sticking to his board and trading out of the 1st round. Yeah, it sucks that it was KC, but as others have said, they would have taken Worthy, anyway. If it were anyone BUT the Chiefs, I doubt too many would be upset today, except the children on WGR. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

There’s almost no way that this works out positively. Every TD pass thrown from the NFL’s best QB (who the Bills handed to KC) to the WR that holds the combine 40 record (who the Bills handed to KC) will be an emotional trauma. It will repeatedly churn up that Mahomes trade. 

After a big trade up for one of the top 3 WRs I honestly thought that our next best option was a trade back to acquire another meaningful pick in this year’s draft. But that couldn’t be with KC. This is devastating. 

very dramatic

very scary

• Eyeroll 1

46 minutes ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

Definitely not, the trade with KC alone makes him a moron. They’re trying to do to Josh what they did to Cam, be Superman and get it done all by himself. This guy prefers to stack 5th rounders over picking 1st rounders. 

While I don’t agree with the last sentence… it’s an all time risky trade. 

if worthy pans out that we gave them mahomes and worthy is a blistering narrative - the type of which will be repeated a million times and define this era

if Josh gets hurt playing hero ball it really becomes something. Hopefully we land a couple pieces and feel better fast.

I have to assume they have like 3 guys graded similarly and are all good sliding til 1-2 get picked and I like that philosophy but if we are tied to kc getting a star it becomes not a little flub but something that changes this groups identity and that won’t be worth the picks to try to overcome 

The draft fell pretty perfectly for us to make a small jump up for Brian Thomas Jr, or to stand pat and take Worthy. The fact that we let our primary rival snag their WR of the future for a relatively modest return feels like salt in the wound. I'm not a big fan of Mitchell or McConkey so landing either of these guys will only make it feel worse. 

I'm hearing Joe Brady tried to recruit Troy Franklin, but taking him @ 33 doesn't make sense. I imagine Beane's been working the lines all night/morning to move back a few more spots to take him where it makes more sense. I could see us then using some of the gained draft capital to move back up in the 2nd, or elsewhere to get some better value.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Lost said:

We're gonna end up going into 2024 with Josh Allen and a bunch of JAGs.  I'm pretty salty we didn't make a move for one of the top 4 WRs.  As unrealistic as it may have been to land someone like Odunze,  Brian Thomas certainly wasn't out of reach.

Outside of Diggs, we always go into every season with Josh and a bunch of crap. Nothing new. 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

can you imagine if reporters start asking Josh if he had worthy down the line if the dudes playing well

he could tank and beane could get a better player tonight but it’s a HELL of a risk compared to almost any other trade partner 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Sad 1

I can not believe we let Legette get drafted when we had the chance to take him.  This is a colossal failure.  Legette literally told the Bills Carolina was taking him.

There is already questions are about this regime being able to evaluate talent, and I have no faith they get this correct.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

i voted yes.  lots if great WRs available.  Grab a speedy route runner/deep threat  (McConey, etc.) and Polk, Mitchell, etc). combo and all is good.  

Yeah, that’s about where I’m at. I hope we double dip. 

And again, I am so thankful that Carolina took Legette and not us. 

• Like (+1) 1

Getting additional picks (including a day 2 pick) and being on the board with a handful of players I’d like the bills to draft is cool with me. 

Am I happy with what he does on day 2?  We’ll find out. But I’m good with what we did rd 1.  

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

While I don’t agree with the last sentence… it’s an all time risky trade. 

if worthy pans out that we gave them mahomes and worthy is a blistering narrative - the type of which will be repeated a million times and define this era

if Josh gets hurt playing hero ball it really becomes something. Hopefully we land a couple pieces and feel better fast.

I have to assume they have like 3 guys graded similarly and are all good sliding til 1-2 get picked and I like that philosophy but if we are tied to kc getting a star it becomes not a little flub but something that changes this groups identity and that won’t be worth the picks to try to overcome 

This. Having a history of “giving” Mahomes to KC, unable to beat them in the playoffs, makes KC a team you just don’t do business with. Doesn’t matter what draft grades you have, who you think they’ll take, whatever. You just don’t do it. Reid will scheme a Worthy special in the playoffs and we’ll hear it over and over. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don’t think worrying about other teams is a good strategy. 

Clearly, there was no one at 28 who the Bills wanted. 

The fact that KC ended up getting a WR with our pick doesn’t faze me. 

I don’t care what KC does. 

I find it hard fo believe that Beane is content going into next season with our current WRs plus any receiver(s) he gets in subsequent rounds. 

He has a plan. 

are you under duress?? who made you right this? blink S-O-S if you are in danger

Trading with KC, a team that is better and smarter than OBD in every sense, makes me angry. Like, you know they outclass you on the field and off, avoid helping them at all costs. Whatever, let's run the ball and pretend it's 1990, and continue wasting a unicorn QB.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

How do you trade with KC?  The team that kicked your ass every year.  What a moron.

This type of emotional response shows why being a fan clouds your judgement. Luckily, Beane is not a fan of the Bills. He is a professional who can look past petty rivalries and focus on what is good for the Bills and what is not.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

I don't like the idea of trading down with KC, but KC was probably going to end up with Worthy anyway.   Otherwise,  yeah,  I'm happy with it, on the assumption that Beane still gets the player he wants and that they come out of R2 with a quality WR prospect.  I'm also very happy that they didn't throw a pile of premium draft picks at a trade up into the top 10.  

Edited by Brandon

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

The purpose of this poll is to get an idea of how the TBD community feels about Beane’s strategy on night one before the rest of the draft plays out. 

There is no “wait and see” option for a reason. 

I personally like what Beane did and I’m interested to see how others feel. 

Sorry undecided, poll me again in January 2025!

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

This type of emotional response shows why being a fan clouds your judgement. Luckily, Beane is not a fan of the Bills. He is a professional who can look past petty rivalries and focus on what is good for the Bills and what is not.

Nothing but the best in NFL commentary on TBD, like being back in grade school, good post!

Personally I am fine with the trade backs. Not in love with KC being the benefactor, but consider:

a. He likely would have fallen to them at 32 unless someone jumped them

b. We didn’t have a high enough grade on a little WR to take him ourselves

c. Less picks for KC isn’t a bad thing

d. We now have 3 picks today

Anyone whining about “ThE fIfTh YeAr OpTiOn” should realize if you draft someone who is good enough for a second contract you are paying them before year 4 starts. If they aren’t good enough you will let them walk (Gabe Davis). By doing what we did we position ourselves at 33 to either have whomever we covet still or we make more trades to the right buyer.

We have more needs than just WR and getting that third and fifth are going to position us to get more impact players in a draft where the talent is going to dry up quickly after the 4th round. There are still at least 3 WR’s I have good grades on waiting for us today

7 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

This. Having a history of “giving” Mahomes to KC, unable to beat them in the playoffs, makes KC a team you just don’t do business with. Doesn’t matter what draft grades you have, who you think they’ll take, whatever. You just don’t do it. Reid will scheme a Worthy special in the playoffs and we’ll hear it over and over. 

it would be catastrophic for the teams psyche if it happens 

imagine if we get dejean and he dials it up on him!

7 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

The Bills did not net an additional pick.

Oops sorry.

We upgraded picks in a draft that might be the weakest day 3 in history while also adding a day 2 pick.  

• Like (+1) 1

I am in a wait and see mode right now.  

But the optics look like crap trading to Kc  and passing on Legette have now declared us losers of the first round.  Most people outside Buffalo probably think our Wr are junk. 

We need to identify and hit on Playmakers.. not just good steady players..Worthy speed has the potential to be a Playmaker with Mahomes.. Legette looks like a beast. If all these guys are rated so closely why not take a chance on one of them? Figure it out on how to make something special work.. you have Josh freakin Allen 

I think my mind has shifted at least from using our first pick on a Wr. Draft Cooper and move back up for a Wr. I would be ok seeing how that plays out. 

No problem with how Beane handled the 1st round. Everybody crying about the Chiefs trade for what? They obviously didn’t like Worthy or they would have taken him. If they grabbed somebody else the Chiefs still could’ve ended up with Worthy anyways. 

i think we learned last night that the Bills aren’t necessarily desperate for a WR like we thought they were. If that were the case, they would have traded up for BTJ or taken one last night. Hell I wouldn’t even be upset if they traded from 33 spot. I don’t expect them too though. Think they draft Cooper DeJean at 33 and draft a WR late second round. This draft is deep at WR

Edited by BillMafia716ix

I said yes bc I was not huge on either player drafted, but really on the fence.   feel like Worthy was overvalued bc of his 40 time..but giving him to the chiefs made it a scary thought.  I felt like Legette was going to be a good sleeper pick,but got overhyped into the first round and became overvalued at that point to me.  I guess we will have to wait and see what happens today.

1 hour ago, Bills Bud said:

Josh is in the prime of his career, and he has no weapons. What Beane did was unacceptable.

So Dalton Kincaid is dog food? If the Bills also pick up at least 1 WR in a deep class will Josh still have no weapons?

1 hour ago, NoName said:

I don’t understand this. If the Bills took somebody else, The Chiefs still could have ended up with Worthy anyways. Obviously the Bills weren’t high on him. 

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Gunvald's Husse said:

Neither plain nor simple.

It is clear that Beane did not consider Worthy to be to value pick at 28 so, unless you wanted the Bills to select Worthy just to stop the Chiefs getting him (a real "cut off your nose to spite your face" move), they were going to get him anyway, either by picking him at 32 for free or by trading up with the Cowboys or the Ravens to get ahead of the 49ers (a trade which would have gained nothing for the Bills and which would have cost less for the Chiefs)

So, did you want them to draft Worthy just to deny him to the Chiefs? 

No, the Bills could make whatever pick they wanted at 28, you just don’t help KC get who they want through you. 

• Dislike 1