Live 2024 NFL Draft thread - Round 1 (Do NOT tip the Bills pick)

Simon

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

He did?

"Shakir averaged 36 yards per game last year, so I wouldn't point to him as this major coup of a pick.

Buffalo's best draft pick used on a WR in 6 drafts is a 4th on Davis. And he was so good they let him walk in UFA. 

McBeane have found most of their production from UFA or trades at the position in a league which prioritizes them in the draft."

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

OK I misread that some after a few beers too many waiting for 1st round pick that didn't happen.....but plenty of other GM's have gone the same route, UFA and Trades ie Howie Roseman, Miami GM, PAINS me to type that, and more that I am too lazy to research for.  Beane is NOT the only one to try proven players versus crap shoot draft picks.  With a position like WR why pick an non proven Diva when you can trade for one and then jettison the for big bucks.....ugh.

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Must be why people are so mad about the trade…they didn’t realize we got anything in return lol 

I mean, we didn't get a ton, but it's more than zero and Beane clearly had a hardon for that 3rd the league boned us out of.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

By the way the trade value matches up exactly perfect by the Rich Hill chart:

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart-Rich-Hill.asp?RequestTeam=Buf

227 points for both sides.

Isn't there meant to be roughly a ten percent 'tariff' to the team facilitating the trade?

Beane got fleeced here, pure and simple.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The trade everyone is complaining about from tonight 😂 

yeah my bad NFL network had posted it as bills getting a 4th.  Shoot, I liked it then, and I like it more now.  Especially because KC took the receiver I specifically did NOT want Bills to draft.

But there was one player that I was dreading more than Worthy and that was Cooper DeJean, who is, unfortunately still in play :(

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

That's a good point. Worthy is a scheme fit in SF (that's why I'm surprised that Miami didn't take him), but KC is chasing the Tyreek Hill dragon since they traded him. I don't know why, given the fact that they just won two straight SB without him and really could have used a DB, but they really feel that need.

BTW, I have KC PTSD as much as anyone, but Worthy gives me John Ross vibes all day. That speed is seductive, but Tyreek is great because he's an elite route runner first and fast second. I remember the entire city of Cincinnati (I live here) begging Marvin Lewis to play Ross more, but when he did he couldn't get open or catch footballs. I mean, if speed and size is all you need to play WR the Bills just need to convince Ely De La Cruz to switch sports. 

Agreed about Hill. What everyone always overlooks about him is how strong his core is.  That guy is strong to go along with his speed. Unless Worthy beefs up I’m not sure he’d last.

I wonder if Worthy worked out with Mahomes since Mahomes’ camp is in Texas. That would make sense if they did and Mahomes liked the connection. 

21 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Isn't there meant to be roughly a ten percent 'tariff' to the team facilitating the trade?

Beane got fleeced here, pure and simple.

LOL.  No.  The draft chart would then incorporate the tariff into the chart.  Fair trade.  Pry a dumb one for the Chiefs since they pry could've just sat at 32 and picked Worthy anyways.  

• Like (+1) 1

So we still have the opportunity to get 1 of the WR's whom many prognosticated or even clamored for in rd 1...

Are in great shape to add a DT or S...

Recouped a 3rd rd pick...

Created flexibilty to address numerous positions in one calendar day...

Still can double dip at WR...

Have ammo to potentially move back into rd 4...

Still have the opportunity to come out of this draft with roughly 6 prospects that actually have the chance to make the team in some capacity...

I'm convinced that some are/were more interested in seeing who KC would take just to downplay the Bills decisions either way.

The rest of the complaint committee is just in their feelings because the specific player they wanted wasn't viewed the same by the team.

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

LOL.  No.  The draft chart would then incorporate the tariff into the chart.  Fair trade.  Pry a dumb one for the Chiefs since they pry could've just sat at 32 and picked Worthy anyways.  

They could have, but they perhaps thought that SF would have taken him. That's the only explanation. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think this is the correct vent thread. 

We’re simply not smarter than the Chiefs. To even dream so is madness. 

We should have taken Worthy. Idgaf about small this or that. He’s good enough for Mahomes, he’s good enough for Allen. There’s no need to be creative with this *****. 

We better get Troy Franklin

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Nelius said:

We should have taken Worthy. Idgaf about small this or that. He’s good enough for Mahomes, he’s good enough for Allen. There’s no need to be creative with this *****. 

grrrrrrr

58 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I want McConkey and Javon Baker paired together. I wouldn't mind Malik Washington, whose comp is Steve Smith

^^^ This.

I was beginning to think I was the only one who's high on Javon Baker.  I just think he's going to be a really good player in the league.

JB, McConkey, Shakir & Samuel is a pretty solid receiver room.  JA17 can work with that.  Especially with Kincaid getting even more involved this year. 

If Beane somehow swings a deal to bring in someone like Aiyuk, that would be the cherry on top.

29 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Pretty Much exactly what I was thinking, I mean all he has to do is not be Kadarius Toney and he should thrive with Reid/Mahomes

3 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Bills save cap and clearly didn’t want Leggette over who else is available.

The move makes a ton of sense. Now you have all day tomorrow to trade for a Vet, trade back again for a big bounty, or just take the guy you want on a cheaper rookie deal then the first round.

Tons of advantages to making this move.

Yay a meh player instead of a possible difference maker. Lets keep trading down and save more money maybe we can get 5 5th round picks it willl be such great value 👍

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Really feel bad for Josh. He is about to turn 28 and The Bills are basically saying "we are letting one of your prime years go to waste" and "hey, Jim Kelly was 30 when The Bills went to their first Super Bowl!! Maybe this will happen for you too!!".

This has been the most bizarre off season.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was absolutely shredded a few weeks ago for saying after the moves made this was a 7-8 win team at best now. On top of that we waste a prime year from Josh, surrounding him with absolutely nothing and increasing his chances of injury because he has to carry even more weight. Now I’m saying 7-8 is generous. Not only does Beane not get a WR1, he gift wraps a new weapon for our biggest AFC foe? I hear he’s putting together a package of picks we have left to see if he can lure the guy that deflated Brady’s balls out of New England 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Dislike 3

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I had a nap in the afternoon, and I've had 90 minutes before this..... I have coffee. I'll survive. I think. :D 

Man you have a LONG time to stay up until the Bills pick...

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm glad I didn't stay up to watch this all play out. Okay, on to Round 2!

By the way, I think they will surprise everyone and take the corner from Iowa or the DT from Illinois. Boring, either is a quality pick that makes the team better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

As much as I adore Deebo, he doesn't make much sense for us. If we go the veteran route and Aiyuk is off the table, Higgins or Sutton make more sense than Deebo IMO. Probably wouldn't trade what Cinci wants for Higgins though. I think the cost for Sutton is probably a good match for what we have now and then I'd like to add a rookie WR tomorrow.

What are you willing to pay for Sutton? 5th?

5 hours ago, Cray51 said:

Sky Moore was the speed guy taken two years ago who is awful

kadarius toney was picked up to be the speedy first round grade receiver to be a stud

ross was brought in to see if his speed could amount to somethjng in the tail end of his career

the chiefs have struck out on receivers just as often as they have hit.  Hill was and is an amazing player.  If they have fooled everyone and found a guy of tbat talent again?  Credit to them

It’s not that they fooled everyone. He was a 1st round wr, that ran the fastest 40 ever. People took that as “he must play like John Ross.” Worthy was an elite WR, for multiple years, at one of the biggest programs in the country. I think that you could have let a lot of guys go to KC and been okay. This wasn’t one of them.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s not that they fooled everyone. He was a 1st round we to most that ran the fastest 40 ever. People took that as “he must play like John Ross.” Worthy was an elite WR, for multiple years, at one of the biggest programs in the country. I think that you could have let a lot of guys go to KC and been okay. This wasn’t one of them.

Why wasn’t he rated higher when everyone thought he was a 4.3 guy if he is that elite

Edited by BananaB

3 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Why wasn’t he rated higher when everyone thought he was a 4.3 guy if he is that elite

I’m sorry, I don’t understand the question? What does “rated” mean (or have to do with anything)? He is a 4.21 guy that was projected as a 1st round pick long before the combine (years even). He was a 3 time all big 12 selection in his 3 seasons. He’s twitchy and obviously has big play ability. He’s a big version of Hollywood Brown (who is now also on the Chiefs). That speed, with Andy Reid, is a nightmare.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, boyst said:

Can someone explain what happened for someone who fell asleep?

:lol: I fell asleep during the Bucs pick and missed all of the action. Bills traded back with KC for a 3rd and 7th, then traded with Carolina for a 4th. Here we are at #33 now with three more picks in the bank. 

On 4/24/2024 at 9:26 AM, H2o said:

If we stay put and the Chiefs jump for a WR, then watch the same people saying "we shouldn't move up" claim it was the greatest move ever by an organization constantly beating us out. 

I called this the other day. Look at the board right now :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

:lol: I fell asleep during the Bucs pick and missed all of the action. Bills traded back with KC for a 3rd and 7th, then traded with Carolina for a 4th. Here we are at #33 now with three more picks in the bank. 

I fell asleep at pick 27 right before the Bills. I vaguely remember something about the Chiefs picking in some semi slumber. Figured I missed the bills pick and it was 32 I think.

I woke up and thought I heard us trade back twice into round two and realized I was having a nightmare when coach chan gailey, gm marv levy, and Satan were sharing a coffee with me. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

You ever see a team trade up one spot with the team with the current pick haha I can’t say I’ve ever seen it 

Happened twice last night

14 minutes ago, H2o said:

We didn't gain any picks we just moved up from current picks

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s not that they fooled everyone. He was a 1st round wr, that ran the fastest 40 ever. People took that as “he must play like John Ross.” Worthy was an elite WR, for multiple years, at one of the biggest programs in the country. I think that you could have let a lot of guys go to KC and been okay. This wasn’t one of them.

also I think a flyer on toney is a completely different conversation 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Perception is noise, but noise can also be a weapon. Ask Manuel Noriega.

I do think Beane gains within the GM-club by making the deal, without demanding a gouge deal. His willingness to accomodate Veach will presumably lead to his own cachet for moving up or down a little, fairly, to be looked favorably among other GMs. Part of GM'ing is political and making your trading partner look like not a fool is not insignificant.

My own strategery for the Bills in this draft was to try to get 4 top-100 picks. There may be fallers or sleepers later but the most useful players in this draft seem to get scarce between 100 and 120. Bills having the chasm from pick 60 to 128, it was imperative for them to gain at least one, preferably 2, additional picks in that Goldilocks zone of players who may be capable of contributing this year. 

To me, Beane's doing what I would have done to try to marry value and need by using the juice of a higher pick to elevate other picks into that sweet spot - IF the player(s) you've honed in on at the top end are likely to still be available at the trade-down. 

I also know we are short on the DL and in the defensive backfield.  We would like a decent RB to pair with Jimbo Cook.  There are WRs available, but the Buffalo Bills need players and it is nice to have players on rookie contracts at this point. 

The centers are on the board, the G from CT is on the board, a number of nice DBs are on the board, fgs Newton is on the Board!    Big Baller is doing fine.  

• Like (+1) 1

Pegula should have made changes after 13 secs,  this is turning into a clown show.  You have Beane handing massive contracts to older players creating one of the worse cap situations in the NFL and his good buddy McDermott who cannot win in the playoffs. To be clear the Bills gave up having a 5th year option for any first rounder so they could  move up from a 4th to a 3rd and move up some other pics.  They gained no extra picks,  Beane is all talk and I'm sorry not interested in trading for a receiver like Aiyuk who wants big money and may not even be a true #1 option.  

Then we have the cheerleader fans who believe Mcdermott and Beane deserve to be paid massive money and and have jobs for life for ending the drought and being a consistent playoff team with a top 3-4 QB

2 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

Really feel bad for Josh. He is about to turn 28 and The Bills are basically saying "we are letting one of your prime years go to waste" and "hey, Jim Kelly was 30 when The Bills went to their first Super Bowl!! Maybe this will happen for you too!!".

This has been the most bizarre off season.

One of worse offseason ever and teams in our division are getting better

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Does this day remind one of 2017, just a bit.   

Everybody here knows better than the Big Baller.   

Lol, are you referring to the time that he traded his 1st round pick, while needing a QB, for arguably the best QB ever? That draft was McDermott though.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Lol, are you referring to the time that he traded his 1st round pick, while needing a QB, for arguably the best QB ever? That draft was McDermott though.

My bad, I meant 2018, in the aftermath of the QB pick.  

• Like (+1) 1