Off Topic: Sabres rehire Lindy Ruff as Head Coach

51 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

With the caveat that I know very little about hockey, this seems like the type of move a sports franchise makes when it has lost all confidence in its abilities to make good decisions. I'm not surprised Pegula did it.

Seems like a nice, safe pick that will get some goodwill from the fans. Not coincidentally it appears that the team is for sale. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Is this good news? 

If they went through an extensive head coach search, were turned down by a few top candidates, and determined Lindy to be the best option? Yes

If they went the nostalgia route and didn't even conduct interviews (which is likely what happened)? No

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

49 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I hope it works out for you guys, but Devils fans were calling for his head long before last year ever happened. 

Trust me, they won 52 games in spite of Lindy.

It's all in the past as the Devils have moved on. 

Good luck to you guys. 

No team wins 52 games “in spite of(sic)” their coach.  That is just nonsense.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, buffblue said:

If they went through an extensive head coach search, were turned down by a few top candidates, and determined Lindy to be the best option? Yes

If they went the nostalgia route and didn't even conduct interviews (which is likely what happened)? No

The organization couldn’t do an extensive search. They were already in the links before most teams finished the season and any other serious candidate is too wrapped up in their teams’ playoffs. The Sabres will be more aggressive and be accountable under Ruff’s leadership. Can we really ask for more?

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

@BullBuchanan Answer this question? Does Lindy Ruff make a team worse?

If he improves the Sabres just 3-4 more wins he’ll take the playoffs. I believe he can be that difference. He won’t make them worse.

Is that the bar? Just make the playoffs?

I like Ruff, I just think he had his run here and the Sabres should have tried another tough coach with no ties to Buffalo past. 

• Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

The organization couldn’t do an extensive search. They were already in the links before most teams finished the season and any other serious candidate is too wrapped up in their teams’ playoffs. The Sabres will be more aggressive and be accountable under Ruff’s leadership. Can we really ask for more?

Guys like Craig Berube, Todd McClellan, and Gerard Gallant are all not currently employed and would've been outstanding choices. They wouldn't have to wait for any of them.

So the question is did the Sabres even try to reach out to any of them? My suspicion is no. Unfortunately the Sabres under Terry have become like the Bills under Ralph during the drought. They go with the guys they "know".

All of this said, I do like Lindy and he does have a great history as a Sabre. I just shake my head when a mere six days pass before he is announced as head coach when there is no other demand for his coaching services. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Is this good news? 

It's news!

3 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Guys like Craig Berube, Todd McClellan, and Gerard Gallant are all not currently employed and would've been outstanding choices. They wouldn't have to wait for any of them.

So the question is did the Sabres even try to reach out to any of them? My suspicion is no. Unfortunately the Sabres under Terry have become like the Bills under Ralph during the drought. They go with the guys they "know".

All of this said, I do like Lindy and he does have a great history as a Sabre. I just shake my head when a mere six days pass before he is announced as head coach when there is no other demand for his coaching services. 

Any major hire the Sabres org has to meet 3 criteria:

1. Best hire
2. Who Terry is willing to hire.
3. Who will take the job.

Under those 3 circumstances I think Lindy is in the top tier.

Pro's: I think this could set the stage to push Terry a step further back from hockey decisions and/or an eventual promotion of Lindy to POHO. Even if this whole Adams/Ruff era fails I would rather Lindy hire the next GM than Terry.

Cons: They fired Donnie 6 days ago. They either didn't even try and hire another candidate or there are a huge amount of candidates that don't meet no. 2 or no. 3 above. Both are giant red flags for the org.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

It's news!

Any major hire the Sabres org has to meet 3 criteria:

1. Best hire
2. Who Terry is willing to hire.
3. Who will take the job.

Under those 3 circumstances I think Lindy is in the top tier.

Pro's: I think this could set the stage to push Terry a step further back from hockey decisions and/or an eventual promotion of Lindy to POHO. Even if this whole Adams/Ruff era fails I would rather Lindy hire the next GM than Terry.

Cons: They fired Donnie 6 days ago. They either didn't even try and hire another candidate or there are a huge amount of candidates that don't meet no. 2 or no. 3 above. Both are giant red flags for the org.

If Terry isn't willing to hire top tier guys while presiding over an NHL record playoff drought and with the supposed "sole existence" of the Sabres being to win a Stanley Cup, we've got some serious problems...

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Weren't there 2 head coaches available who won Stanley Cups.. Gallant and Berube? Maybe a HC with a Stanley Cup on their resume? Just sayin!

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, buffblue said:

If Terry isn't willing to hire top tier guys while presiding over an NHL record playoff drought and with the supposed "sole existence" of the Sabres being to win a Stanley Cup, we've got some serious problems...

Haha… where the hell have you been???

14 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

Haha… where the hell have you been???

Obviously, right here🤷 It was a response to a previous post.

Big time Sabres fan but they are inarguably one of the most pathetic franchises in American sports.

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Obviously, right here🤷 It was a response to a previous post.

Big time Sabres fan but they are inarguably one of the most pathetic franchises in American sports.

Just busting yer balls. Their serious problems are painfully evident and very well chronicled.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

what an incredible list of bums that is

Trust the process. 

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Asking is free. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I like the jacket, at least 😎

I've searched on Ebay and elsewhere for that jacket. If anyone knows where one could get ahold of one, let me know. 

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

Well, it’s better than re-hiring Ted Nolan… time will tell how much. 

I’m hoping that Adams made the decision to fire Granato some time ago and gauged the interest of other currently unemployed coaches.

I suspect, however, that Adams knows his job is on the line and Ruff is a desperate panic hire given their familiarity with one another with Adams having previously been on Ruff’s staff. 

Hoping it works, but certainly tempering my enthusiasm (despite being a big fan of Ruff during his first stint).

To those citing his lack of a Cup, he got them there and came close with a much less talented team than the Stars, and their best chance was derailed by a freakish run of defensive injuries against Carolina. It was certainly not a coaching issue in either of those seasons. Can’t speak to his time outside of Buffalo. 

Edited by transient
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's the smart move.  Should have never been fired.  Ruff will get the best out of his players but it's not enough with this group.  Adams has to get more talent and I don't think he is up to the task.

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

1 hour ago, transient said:

To those citing Ruff's lack of a Cup, he got them there and came close with a much less talented team than the Stars, and their best chance was derailed by a freakish run of defensive injuries against Carolina. It was certainly not a coaching issue in either of those seasons. Can’t speak to his time outside of Buffalo.

Wiki: "Despite being without some or all of their four top defensemen (Teppo Numminen, Dmitri Kalinin, Jay McKee and Henrik Tallinder), and their top powerplay scorer, Tim Connolly, who had 11 points in eight games in the playoffs, for much of the series, the Sabres fought back from a three-games-to-two deficit to force a seventh game by way of a 2–1 overtime win in Game 6. Buffalo led the Hurricanes 2–1 going into the final period of the deciding game but blew the lead early in the third and gave up two more late goals for a 4–2 final score."

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

The ‘other’ team chimes in

So, Mr Pegula, why was Lindy bad enough to fire in 2013 but good enough to bring back in 2024?  So, the hiring of the coaches responsible for this long playoff drought were mistakes, as was firing Ruff?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Seems like a nice, safe pick that will get some goodwill from the fans. Not coincidentally it appears the team is for sale.

Haven’t heard that, but, with 25% of the Bills available, speculations on the Sabres situation aren’t surprising.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

Is that the bar? Just make the playoffs?

I like Ruff, I just think he had his run here and the Sabres should have tried another tough coach with no ties to Buffalo past. 

No. The Sabres need to take another step forward. This is the step forward. 

I don’t understand why people care about ties to Buffalo? Teams in all leagues hire coaches with ties to the team. Typically they’re assistants with ties to the team getting a head coaching opportunity. Who cares. 

Ruff checked all the boxes.