Pegulas selling 25% of the Bills, per Tim Graham

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The man never says anything. People complain because he never talks to the press.

Exactly.  Politician.  

Not sure why you’re confirming my criticism then rushing to defend him.  

It’s ok we can be appreciative of him and offer criticisms at the same time.  

Edited by Big Blitz

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Exactly.  Politician.  

Not sure why you’re confirming my criticism then rushing to defend him.  

It’s ok we can be appreciative of him and offer criticisms at the same time.  

I'm just amazed how someone could do absolutely nothing and still be painted with evil intentions.  

Edited by PromoTheRobot

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

I started a job once on the same day as another guy and we became friends. His last name was Ruggerio, nice guy from Chicago. So, I’m sitting in his office one day and I notice his name plate says Ruggiero. I had to ask if he spelled his own name wrong, or just pronounced it wrong. 

Say it out loud. 

He seemed genuinely confused. No, that’s the way it is. Okay then……. 🤷‍♂️

Some kitchen stuff is one thing, but your own NAME??? 😂 

OK Augs, why is Favre pronounced Farve, wiseguy?  :devil:

5 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

This is not a good development.  Minority owners can really screw things up, especially if they want to move the team to much greener pastures.  

Kroenke started as a minority owner in St Louis....

• Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Interesting considering there were rumors about him trying to sell the Sabres yesterday

Maybe they saw the smoke coming, but didn't realize it was blowing in a different direction.

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Makes zero sense to me.  Can't believe the Pegula's have money issues.

Reading the article about Kevin Adams season ending presser, he implied Terry is very per-occupied with Kim. Maybe he sees the 25% owner as becoming more of a face of the franchise and he can take a back seat.  Kind of like the last couple of years with RW.  He was no longer attending league meeting, was sending Russ.  Could be Terry feels better to send someone to represent the team who actually has a large amount of skin in the game, but no so much skin to over rule him. 

Article also talked about how this is becoming more popular as becoming more difficult for the heirs to keep the team in the family due to large tax issues.  Initially Terry may have figured good chance Kim will out live him and she'll run things. That looks less likely now, maybe kids either don't want it, can't afford it, or none he feels are totally capable of running it??

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why on earth would anyone want to own a team in this town? Every time your team loses, people blame you and demand you sell the team.

What? The team has had a grand total of TWO owners in 65 years and the first Owner is dead! It’s hardly been a revolving door. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Kroenke started as a minority owner in St Louis....

Bisciotti was a minority owner of the Ravens

Tepper was a minority owner of the Steelers

Haslam was a minority owner of the Steelers

Ross started with 50% of Dolphins

22 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Maybe they saw the smoke coming, but didn't realize it was blowing in a different direction.

Reading the article about Kevin Adams season ending presser, he implied Terry is very per-occupied with Kim. Maybe he sees the 25% owner as becoming more of a face of the franchise and he can take a back seat.  Kind of like the last couple of years with RW.  He was no longer attending league meeting, was sending Russ.  Could be Terry feels better to send someone to represent the team who actually has a large amount of skin in the game, but no so much skin to over rule him. 

Article also talked about how this is becoming more popular as becoming more difficult for the heirs to keep the team in the family due to large tax issues.  Initially Terry may have figured good chance Kim will out live him and she'll run things. That looks less likely now, maybe kids either don't want it, can't afford it, or none he feels are totally capable of running it??

Great point and seems highly likely. Terry liquidating a piece of the team to help cover costs, and also looking for someone to run things and be more hands on. 

We have to hope that Pegula will only look to bring in people committed to keeping the bills in Buffalo. 

8 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Bisciotti was a minority owner of the Ravens

Tepper was a minority owner of the Steelers

Haslam was a minority owner of the Steelers

Ross started with 50% of Dolphins

And Pegula was a minority owner of the Penguins.

48 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why on earth would anyone want to own a team in this town? Every time your team loses, people blame you and demand you sell the team.

The sabres haven't won in what, 15 years? I think criticism of ownership is warranted in that circumstance.

• Agree 1

So I guess people thought that Terry was going to live forever and the Government will waive inheritance taxes for the Bills owners.  This is the least surprising development this month with the Bills.  When you have an asset that triples in value in a relatively short term, turning some of that appreciation into cash is certainly not unusual, especially when you have a near term need for $600 m in cash or so in addition to some estate planning to do.  A minority owner at this point changes absolutely nothing with respect to the Bills long term prospects in WNY.  In fact, the finances of this deal may well increase the chances that the Pegulas can keep control in the family for the long term.  It seems that this is the intent.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Lets be real here. Terry got a pass for nearly a decade of ownership. The heat didn't start turning up until Covid, then a failure to maintain the facilities, and now the team is tied for the least amount of scouts in the league and has half the analytics and player development staff of some other franchises in the league. 

Terry didn't just lose a few hockey games and get booed. He is on a literal historic run of ineptitude setting the record for longest playoff drought in NHL history. Since March 1, 2011 no team in the NHL has a worse P% than Terry Pegula's Buffalo Sabres. This isn't hyperbole. It is the current state of the franchise. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, DaVinci said:

Yes. nows are chance. We just need 60 000 fans to invest a modest amount and we are owners

You know, that would cost around $16k per fan... So basically the cost of the PSL, lol

• Haha (+1) 2

I wonder if there's some sort of expense he's occurred that's hundreds of million of dollars and is already costing more than the estimates during a time of massive inflation that he might want to fund with this..

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

It was that damn Josh Allen contract! 😉

Guess we better trade Allen to the bears for the first pick,where we not only get a QB in Williams, but a potential 25% owner 😂😂

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

The lease is garbage. I agree the Bills aren't going anywhere (why would they? brand new stadium and all), but if someone were to pay over $5 Billion to buy the team outright (the current value of the team), what is to stop them from paying another 16% to move the team? Nothing. Just 16%.

I didn’t realize it was that low…I agree, would be a drop in the bucket, especially when you consider the value of the team in a different city. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder if this might be related to the NFL getting ready to approve investments from private equity firms. They were set to vote on it at the league meeting in March. The vote was pushed another month but it sounds like it’s expected to pass.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/nfl-teams-private-equity-funds-institutional-investment-rule-changes/

I would not be at all surprised if that’s who bought shares of the Bills.

There was an article about this back in February.

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/sports-recreation/nfl-owners-face-huge-real-estate-taxes-keep-teams-family

That growth has helped make NFL team owners rich. But it has also created succession-planning challenges in a league that venerates family and tradition — and could force the doors open for investors driven by financial imperatives.

In September, the NFL formed a special committee of five owners to consider ending a block on private-equity funds. The nation's other top sports leagues have already lowered the gates for such investors, but the country’s most popular one has remained a holdout.

Clark Hunt, a part owner and chairman of the Kansas City Chiefs — who will face the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl LVIII in Las Vegas on Sunday — said in an interview that the league has been watching as other sports dip their toes into private equity.

“I do think it is an avenue that can be helpful from a capital standpoint,” said Hunt, who is also chairman of the NFL’s finance committee, a member of the panel looking into the private-equity rules and a son of Chiefs founder Lamar Hunt.

Clearing a path for private equity is likely to result in a series of deals in short order, with six to eight teams potentially selling minority stakes within a year, according to an executive for one NFL team who declined to be identified because they aren’t authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

Approval of the private equity plan is expected to come at the league’s annual meeting next month, according to people familiar with the process.

Other leagues have dealt with surging franchise values, which have put buying even part of a team out of reach for all but the ultra-rich, by letting in institutional investors. Specialized private equity firms have set up funds to buy passive stakes in franchises in the National Basketball Association, Major League Baseball and the National Hockey League.

For the NFL, allowing in such vehicles would help teams raise capital and give minority partners a way to cash out.

To give an example the cost of building and renovating stadiums continues to rise at a very fast rate,” said Hunt, the Chiefs owner, “and having the ability to access outside capital to help facilitate projects like that would be beneficial.

It would give Pegula access to cash for the new stadium construction, and it’d likely be a passive ownership investment which I think would suit them well.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Someone let me know when I should get “concerned” , “worried” , or down right neurotic, thanks in advance, 😁👍🍸🚬

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m good for 25% of your 25%. 

I must admit, I did not see this coming when I woke up this morning. I’m glad there is a stadium coming out of the ground, because I’m having Buffalo Braves flashbacks. 

I feel I giant Mangurian headache coming on.  Think I'll go sit in the dark until it passes.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

What? The team has had a grand total of TWO owners in 65 years and the first Owner is dead! It’s hardly been a revolving door. 

I don't mean that. I mean having people hate you if the team is bad.

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

The sabres haven't won in what, 15 years? I think criticism of ownership is warranted in that circumstance.

I rest my case

• Awesome! (+1) 1