What's The Greatest Invention in History?

Irv

20 hours ago, Irv said:

I'd argue the microwave oven is right up there.  

Seriously Irv? The microwave oven? Let me tell you about the microwave oven. It was invented in 1947 as the radar range. Throughout the rest of the 40's and 50's barely anyone owned them. You know what else was extremely low at the time? The divorce rate. In the 60's and 70's microwave ownership began to pick up. What else did? Bingo, the divorce rate. Microwave ownership steadily rose through the 80's and 90's, then started to level off at the turn of the century. That's right, the divorce rate followed the same trend. If you look at separate graphs of both since 1947, they look eerily similar. Coincidence? I think not!

• Haha (+1) 4

41 minutes ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

Controlled energy release from nuclear fusion - - people just don't realize it yet:

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/4374325-scientists-repeat-nuclear-fusion-breakthrough-three-times/

It's been almost 4 months.  Where's the 4th time?

But yes, if/when it happens, that will be close to, if not at, the top.

• Agree 1

Let me add another vote for the wheel. Its invention required a completely new line of thinking, compared to what was used before (such as sleds). It is interesting to note that Native American cultures never got to the wheel as means for transportation, although they clearly were familiar with circular structures, such as medicine wheels made from bent porcupine quills.

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

Seriously Irv? The microwave oven? Let me tell you about the microwave oven. It was invented in 1947 as the radar range. Throughout the rest of the 40's and 50's barely anyone owned them. You know what else was extremely low at the time? The divorce rate. In the 60's and 70's microwave ownership began to pick up. What else did? Bingo, the divorce rate. Microwave ownership steadily rose through the 80's and 90's, then started to level off at the turn of the century. That's right, the divorce rate followed the same trend. If you look at separate graphs of both since 1947, they look eerily similar. Coincidence? I think not!

Wow.  I think you have been standing too close you your microwave.  

• Haha (+1) 1

At the turn of the century there was a list of the thousand most important people of the millennium.  The top of the list was Gutenberg because of the printing press.  I vote for that because the printing press allowed for the widespread sharing and application of knowledge.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

Controlled energy release from nuclear fusion - - people just don't realize it yet:

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/4374325-scientists-repeat-nuclear-fusion-breakthrough-three-times/

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I swear to god the Fossil Fuel Industry better not ***** this over.

I was thinking the same thing about the EV industry...

4 hours ago, Steve O said:

I assume you wrote this only to get some response from Irv, but the underlying statistics are wrong. According to whirlpool, in 1986 25% of the US households owned a microwave; in 1997, the number had more than tripled to 90%. The divorce rate actually sank slightly from 1986 to 1997.  

15 minutes ago, DrW said:

I assume you wrote this only to get some response from Irv, but the underlying statistics are wrong. According to whirlpool, in 1986 25% of the US households owned a microwave; in 1997, the number had more than tripled to 90%. The divorce rate actually sank slightly from 1986 to 1997.  

I suspect the decline in the divorce rate had more to do with average age of marriage going up. Because why bother getting married if you're going to get a microwaved dinner...

• Haha (+1) 1