Do you think Allen feels relief after the Diggs trade?

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My tinfoil hat was the tweet that broke the camels back.  I think Diggs is someone that you have to walk around on egg shells and I think Allen knew that Diggs was exploring trades.  That tweet came out and Allen texted Beane "done with this his s***, ship him."

I have heard from people I trust that it's the opposite

Diggs was told he was being shopped before he made that comment and it was basically a eff it 

He's the guy who routinely has called Josh the best quarterback in the world... I don't think he would have done that if he was staying this year

He was told he wasn't gonna be back 

Edited by Buffalo716

In a functional organization, the QB doesn't call personnel shots over the Head Coach and GM.  Weigh in?  Sure.  Not proceed with moving an older player when it's time?  No.  

23 hours ago, Buftex said:

I don't come here as much as I used to, so I am not sure if Tim Graham is still taboo here, but I've always liked him.  Just listening to his podcast tonight, and he told a interesting story about Diggs/Allen.  Apparently, after the opening game (the disaster against the Jets) Allen was sitting in front of his locker, towle draped over his head, obviously not happy, reflecting on his disastrous performance.  One by one, teammates were coming up to him, padding him on the shoulder, saying things like "we got your back", "we'll get them next week"... after multiple players tried to cheer Allen up, Diggs stepped up to him and said something.  Graham said he didn't report it at the time, because he wasn't sure what Diggs said...but apparently, it irritated Allen, and he yelled at him "It's one ***** game man!"

Also heard some rumors that during the season, Allen had expressed his unhappiness about always feeling like he had to "walk on eggshells" with Diggs.  

It was fun while it lasted, but I think this was the right move. 

To be fair, Josh was an absolute moron that game and deserved to be called out after that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs has shown that he is primarily all about himself. He has a manipulative side to his personality. I think he was probably manipulating Josh with all the buddy- buddy stuff so he could be Josh’s favorite and get the most balls thrown to him. As long as he got his stats, he was happy and Josh was his buddy. When times got tough, he showed he was more about himself, making it look like he cared more about winning than anyone else on the team. Josh realized he wasn’t his buddy and just wanted stats. The passive aggressive tweets were manipulative crap to get everyone to bend to his desires. Anyone who cares about their team doesn’t pull that crap. 

First half of last year, Dorsey and Josh tried to satisfy him, to the detriment of the offense. Diggs stats were great but we were losing and Josh wasn’t right. Brady comes in with a new direction and Diggs mentally checks out because it isn’t about him anymore. The team saw through Diggs act and said enough. Josh got right and we went on the winning streak. I think Josh is relieved, but he has got more responsibility this off season to get the new receiving corps functioning, so there should be less golf time this summer. 

• Like (+1) 2

Yes. 100%. Diggs was great for Allen the 1st couple of seasons. Since then he’s been a selfish, loud, arrogant asshat who lost a step and sucked in the playoffs. It’s too bad he cared more about screwing the Bills instead of taking off before they let Davis go. 
this O could have worked with Davis as WR1 with the focus on a 2 TE set, Shakir out of the slot and Cook in the back. Now Davis is gone and Diggs forced his way out. 
good riddance. 

Edited by AlfaBill
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/4/2024 at 7:40 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly don't think that the Bills do this without Allen give it a thumbs up.  

I think James Jones on one of those talk shows said the Bills figured out they can with without him.

Allen spreads the ball out well, maybe better than any QB in the league.  With Diggs getting up there in age, slowing down and Allen not having to worry about getting Diggs his targets....Allen could actually be better.  You can't force the balls to Diggs like it's 2020 or 2021 anymore.  Diggs will want his targets regardless if he's slowing down.

Allen can now just walk up to the line and can just throw it where he thinks its the best place to go rather than satisfying Diggs ego.  It has to be a relief IMO.

WR are diva's and probably will have to deal with something like this again but a more mature way.  I appreciate what Diggs did for us for 4 seasons but these, what Tim Graham said "micro aggressions" do get annoying, especially for Allen.

As the second best QB in the league, I expect Allen to get better every year. With his supporting cast, his numbers should remain, at least.

A direct positive impact from not forcing Diggs the ball will be seen—a couple less INTs, a couple more better placed throws, and a happier offensive unit. In top of that, Diggs had a hard time getting wide open against man coverage. He didn’t need much space to make pro catches, but it’s not like he was a dynamic route runner aside from the past two years. The good stuff with his artist footwork routes was years 1 and 2 in Buffalo. Also, he rarely did anything in YAC, so Allen will be hitting more dynamic ball carriers upcoming.

Cooks. Cooks could be really fun this season. Like Marshal Faulk fun. The opportunity is there. 

Edited by Thrivefourfive

54 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

Diggs has shown that he is primarily all about himself. He has a manipulative side to his personality. I think he was probably manipulating Josh with all the buddy- buddy stuff so he could be Josh’s favorite and get the most balls thrown to him. As long as he got his stats, he was happy and Josh was his buddy. When times got tough, he showed he was more about himself, making it look like he cared more about winning than anyone else on the team. Josh realized he wasn’t his buddy and just wanted stats. The passive aggressive tweets were manipulative crap to get everyone to bend to his desires. Anyone who cares about their team doesn’t pull that crap. 

First half of last year, Dorsey and Josh tried to satisfy him, to the detriment of the offense. Diggs stats were great but we were losing and Josh wasn’t right. Brady comes in with a new direction and Diggs mentally checks out because it isn’t about him anymore. The team saw through Diggs act and said enough. Josh got right and we went on the winning streak. I think Josh is relieved, but he has got more responsibility this off season to get the new receiving corps functioning, so there should be less golf time this summer. 

Best post of this thread! Excellently said....

Of course Allen is relieved. If you ever worked with or managed a toxic colleague, it's a breath of fresh air when they are gone  even if they were a high performer.

The question of whether the Bills are a better team is another story but at least it will be more fun to go to work.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 10:44 AM, Yantha said:

Allen should be……. IN ……..the draft war room rooting for offensive weapons.....

Ok, I’ve seen this a gazillion times now, and no matter how I try to figure it out … what IN the world does “IN” signify? 🤷🏽 

… I give … Uncle…. I admit I’m naive and ignorant, and clearly not hip…. I don’t care anymore… could someone please just explain its significance … please? 🙏 

• Simon locked and unlocked this topic
On 4/5/2024 at 9:29 PM, Buffalo716 said:

I have heard from people I trust that it's the opposite

Diggs was told he was being shopped before he made that comment and it was basically a eff it 

He's the guy who routinely has called Josh the best quarterback in the world... I don't think he would have done that if he was staying this year

He was told he wasn't gonna be back 

Except the story from others is that it was Diggs agents who did the shopping - that they had permission to seek a trade from anyone but KC

So who knows?  Except I think it's been a couple years since he said that about Josh, feel free to set me right

44 minutes ago, Draconator said:

"In fact, if you leave him alone too long, he'll chew up your sofa like an understimulated husky!"

"We just got that sofa!"   :P

Edited by Beck Water

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Except the story from others is that it was Diggs agents who did the shopping - that they had permission to seek a trade from anyone but KC

So who knows?  Except I think it's been a couple years since he said that about Josh, feel free to set me right

"In fact, if you leave him alone too long, he'll chew up your sofa like an understimulated husky!"

"We just got that sofa!"   :P

Well typically if you're given permission to seek a trade.. the team is shopping you 

And the team did right by him and let him choose his landing spot sans Kansas City 

So he's actively been on the block and knew he wouldn't be coming back

And as to the second part I'm pretty sure he said it every single year here including last year

But he's not a Buffalo Bill anymore so it doesn't matter.. the team will win games without him

Edited by Buffalo716

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well typically if you're given permission to seek a trade.. the team is shopping you 

And the team did right by him and let him choose his landing spot sans Kansas City 

So he's actively been on the block and knew he wouldn't be coming back

And ask the second part I'm pretty sure he said it every single year here including last year

As to the last, didn't hear it.  And I was listening.

Called him his brother, said he extended a hand to him when he joined the team, didn't say anything about him as a QB

I read your post, rightly or wrongly, as saying Diggs still believed in Josh as his QB and it was the Bills initiative to be shopping him.

My point is from what others have said about seeking permission to seek a trade, it was Diggs who wanted out and asked the Bills if he could have his people shop him.  He didn't believe in Josh as his QB or in the Bills organization as a Championship-caliber organization any more, and he wanted to seek greener pastures.

Who knows?

The bottom line is that Diggs has moved on, and the Bills have moved on.  

I have moved on, from Ghost (Gabe Davis dog) to Penny (Khalil Shakir's dog)

Edited by Beck Water

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

As to the last, didn't hear it.  And I was listening.

Called him his brother, said he extended a hand to him when he joined the team, didn't say anything about him as a QB

I read your post, rightly or wrongly, as saying Diggs still believed in Josh as his QB and it was the Bills initiative to be shopping him.

My point is from what others have said about seeking permission to seek a trade, it was Diggs who wanted out and asked the Bills if he could have his people shop him.  He didn't believe in Josh as his QB or in the Bills organization as a Championship-caliber organization any more, and he wanted to seek greener pastures.

Who knows?

The bottom line is that Diggs has moved on, and the Bills have moved on.  

I have moved on, from Ghost (Gabe Davis dog) to Penny (Khalil Shakir's dog)

Football is a business 

It is what it is .. I certainly won't lose any sleep over it 

And I think Khalil is a very talented young man

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/5/2024 at 2:37 PM, fan_in_tx said:

This being the case will Diggs help or hurt CJ once the ball starts going somewhere else?

I'm going to tell you what will happen with Stroud....

CJ will distribute the ball around the field, whether Diggs is involved in the play is irrelevant, however, when Diggs believes he's not getting his share of catches, he'll go after Stroud......which in turn, will start to diminish CJ's confidence in leading the team.

I believe, having a player likes Diggs is a bad pairing for a young QB.

Diggs will question every play, every QB decision, everything. He is going to make that kids life a nightmare. He will make him 2nd guess everything and when things get bad enough, CJ will just start distributing the ball around to everyone not named Diggs because he won't want to deal with him, which will make the situation even worse.

The dude is a cancer.......better to gut it and get rid of it, but unfortunately, our cancer is now firmly latched onto another young QB to wreak havoc.

I have not read every response to this topic so if this is redundant I apologize.

My gut would say yes to this post.   I would think it comes down to where and who Josh has more confidence in.   Down the stretch Diggs didn’t show up to the level of the BS he brings and I would think the confidence that he would help the team get over the “hump” by continuing to do what he’s always done…whine, complain, and drop off in big moments…took a hit.   
Therefore, confidence that Beane and company committed to doing all that they could to get Josh and team the weapons they need in the draft had to have a higher degree of confidence from Josh.   Believe in the process or believe in your aging donkey diva WR…probably a pretty easy choice that the media and non-mafia/haters can’t see.   

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

CJ will distribute the ball around the field, whether Diggs is involved in the play is irrelevant, however, when Diggs believes he's not getting his share of catches, he'll go after Stroud......which in turn, will start to diminish CJ's confidence in leading the team.

Diggs will question every play, every QB decision, everything. He is going to make that kids life a nightmare. He will make him 2nd guess everything and when things get bad enough, CJ will just start distributing the ball around to everyone not named Diggs because he won't want to deal with him, which will make the situation even worse.

The dude is a cancer.......better to gut it and get rid of it, but unfortunately, our cancer is now firmly latched onto another young QB to wreak havoc.

If diggs was still on a multi year contract, I’d agree.  

I agree he is a cancer. Thing is, he will most likely be on his best behavior, along with telling his brother to stop the garbage tweets.  He will want to be a “team player”. He wants to create a highest bidder situation for next year, and some teams may not want a guy who’s forced himself off two teams and wants the payday.

The picture of him watching the chiefs celebrate at the time made us feel he was a team player.  Hate to say, I can see now that may have been a contrived act. 

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

Diggs won’t be the #1, he will be the 2b / 3 rd WR, if I’m CJ I tell Diggs to go Fuh k off the first, second and third time he opens his mouth,  CJ isn’t stupid, and like everyone else has seen his act twice now, the Texans know full well Diggs is a smiling malcontent type, on top of that he is not part of a long term plan in Houston, he is a short term mercenary for them nothing more, and in two seasons he will be a Cleveland Brown…, 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Diggs won’t be the #1, he will be the 2b / 3 rd WR, if I’m CJ I tell Diggs to go Fuh k off the first, second and third time he opens his mouth,  CJ isn’t stupid, and like everyone else has seen his act twice now, the Texans know full well Diggs is a smiling malcontent type, on top of that he is not part of a long term plan in Houston, he is a short term mercenary for them nothing more, and in two seasons he will be a Cleveland Brown…, 

Diggs will sign with KC next year if he controls that opt out clause. 

Diggs will be brought up by the media one more time to Josh then it will be done.  he will now not have to answer for Diggs every week because Diggs decided to avoid the media most of the year last year.

it will be less of a distraction for him.  It has to be annoying listening to Diggs chirp all the time.  

Relieved?  probably not.  Accepting?  probably.

I'm guessing that Diggs will have a good, not great year as he will be in a new scheme and division with some assets to take some of his coverages away.  And then as he moves into the later half of the season, we will see the same drop in production as teams figure out how they are using him.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Diggs will sign with KC next year if he controls that opt out clause. 

There is a real chance they won’t want him by then, odds are he will be worn down / injured again by the time this upcoming post season arrives, much like he has been the last two in Buffalo.  Diggs had been “part” of why we have not gotten back into the AFC championship game in the last two years.  This is not the record of performance that KC would be champing at the bit to sign onto…,      

Diggs was really good here in Buffalo for the first two plus seasons, then injuries and wear and tear on his body in the second half of this past season and the past two post seasons tell the other side of Diggs tenure in Buffalo, this and Father Time are not on his side.

Luckily for our Buffalo Bills really good receivers are readily available in FA and this draft, frankly none of us should be overtly concerned about his departure, we’ve got #17, I’m not worried in the slightest. 

On 4/5/2024 at 11:10 AM, nedboy7 said:

He has been the best WR over a 4 year period in Bills history.  The trade doesn't change that fact.  He has had a pivotal role in the success of the franchise.  No need to rewrite history due to the current situation. 

No where close to Andre Reed!

• Like (+1) 3

think Josh probably harbors no ill will towards Diggs.  im sure hes a bit relieved.  it opens the door for Allen to be the lone top dog now.   there are no bigger voices.  actually means something in a team environment.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I bet Allen feels like a guy who just took a dump the size of a lunchbox that pinched off clean in a one wipe situation, precautionary at that.

You with the visual.

Not sure he is actually relieved though.

I guess it could be of a "Next" thing. He lost Davis too.

So , change. it's what it Is

• Like (+1) 1

Allen knows Diggs is not a top 10 receiver anymore but he’s become a constant distraction with demands for targets and attention. He’s outlived his usefulness in Buffalo and he needs to play elsewhere. I loved Diggs and appreciate his role in Josh’s development and putting us in the hierarchy of the league but we’re ready for a younger, more dynamic playmaker.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Allen knows Diggs is not a top 10 receiver anymore but he’s become a constant distraction with demands for targets and attention. He’s outlived his usefulness in Buffalo and he needs to play elsewhere. I loved Diggs and appreciate his role in Josh’s development and putting us in the hierarchy of the league but we’re ready for a younger, more dynamic playmaker.

pretty much the best summary I’ve seen of the situation.  Just add an “s” after playmaker😉

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

Not sure I've seen more hyperbole in NFL fandom history than calling a perennial top 5-10 WR washed after a 1200 yard 8 TD season - all because he didn't light up the stat sheet directly corresponding to a change in coordinator. His "washed up" season was the 12th best receiving total in Buffalo bills history by raw yardage, 18th best in YPG, and 11th (T) in TDs.

I fully expect him to have an equal or better season next year, outperforming any receiving we draft.

• Dislike 1

The whole team and organization must be feeling relief right now. The single biggest person-related stressor is gone.

As a Bills fan I now feel like I'm swimming in my own shark and gator-free lake by myself and I can pee freely and just enjoy the sun and the water...

Hell, I could drop a deuce in the water and it's all cool.

Diggs was great during the first half of last season and not so good in the second half. He was still getting the majority of the pass targets and wasn't doing as much because of the OC change. With Bubble screens and such. Diggs wasn't happy about the switch from Daboll to Ken Dorsey either at first.

However, it's about winning games and not attempting to make one player happy each game. Joe Brady looks like a huge upgrade to Dorsey / Daboll in understanding how to utilize a running attack along with a passing attack. 

Diggs, I suspect he was about to become a very large disgruntled pain in the ass to the team with his diva-like behavior...again. I highly doubt any other receiver on this roster is going to start yelling at the QB, leave the locker room early to avoid the media, or not show up for team practices. 

Even with all his baggage I'd think that this FO would have kept him had he shown any ability to make some big plays during the playoffs. When the competition got tougher he disappeared from the playoffs the last three years.  That last Chiefs playoff game. 8 targets for 3 receptions for 21 yards...one fumble. He dropped a big play pass too. 

Josh will be ok. JMO

8 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Not sure I've seen more hyperbole in NFL fandom history than calling a perennial top 5-10 WR washed after a 1200 yard 8 TD season - all because he didn't light up the stat sheet directly corresponding to a change in coordinator. His "washed up" season was the 12th best receiving total in Buffalo bills history by raw yardage, 18th best in YPG, and 11th (T) in TDs.

I fully expect him to have an equal or better season next year, outperforming any receiving we draft.

I get you’re a big Diggs fan but you have to acknowledge his fall off that coincided with the new OC and the Bills resurgence. This transformed version of Diggs demanded targets at the expense of the team’s fortunes. When the game plan featured more run game and spreading the ball around to Shakir, Kincaid and Cook, the Bills won 6 of 7 and the division. He looked like a tentative shell of his former self in that KC game and dropped the potential game winner on a perfect throw. Then proceeded to be a me first distraction, putting himself before the team that was paying him a fortune. It’s small wonder the Texans converted his deal to one year and we’ll see what happens. His lack of appreciation for this fanbase that embraced him is not the look you’d expect from a classy HOF type player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

9 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

He isn't washed, but he wasnt the best option for the Bills at the end of the year. That was probably Shakir, then Kincaid. I think Diggs is going to have a good year (probably better than Isiah Hodgins) and we will have growing pains with a young WR corp. But I also think it was 100% the right call to move on. It was time for the next era for JA17