Do you think Allen feels relief after the Diggs trade?

I honestly don't think that the Bills do this without Allen give it a thumbs up.  

I think James Jones on one of those talk shows said the Bills figured out they can with without him.

Allen spreads the ball out well, maybe better than any QB in the league.  With Diggs getting up there in age, slowing down and Allen not having to worry about getting Diggs his targets....Allen could actually be better.  You can't force the balls to Diggs like it's 2020 or 2021 anymore.  Diggs will want his targets regardless if he's slowing down.

Allen can now just walk up to the line and can just throw it where he thinks its the best place to go rather than satisfying Diggs ego.  It has to be a relief IMO.

WR are diva's and probably will have to deal with something like this again but a more mature way.  I appreciate what Diggs did for us for 4 seasons but these, what Tim Graham said "micro aggressions" do get annoying, especially for Allen.

• Like (+1) 19
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 30
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Allen 100% gave his blessing.

Diggs doesn't force his way out if he and Allen are on good terms and Beane doesn't trade Diggs in this way if Allen is against it. 

I look forward to seeing Allen make a jump this year being free of what has clearly become a tense relationship over the past year or so.  And Beane knows he better make it so Allen is able to make that jump.  

• Like (+1) 11
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think he's not a "drama guy", so yes, relief that Diggs is out BUT he must feel some anxiety about the WR room right now.  

Allen should be IN the draft war room rooting for offensive weapons.....

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

It's a fresh start for him 

Just now, Yantha said:

I think he's not a "drama guy", so yes, relief that Diggs is out BUT he must feel some anxiety about the WR room right now.  

There was an interview where he listed WR's.  Nabers was the 1st one he said.  Perhaps, who he wants most.   Go get him 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm sure he would like at least one more high quality WR, but I also expect he is somewhat relieved and looking forward rather than backward. 

It offers him the opportunity to demonstrate that his success was and is not dependent on Diggs. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Anxiety is going on a 90 yard drive, going 7-8 ending in a qb sneak for a 6.  And your #1 wr telling you he was open and you missed him.  Not saying that exact thing happened but stories trickling out points to this being closer to reality than fantasy.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think Josh has been tired of hearing about how Steff made him and the national media constantly saying it even Diggs took at jab at him.

Quite simply Diggs was not doing this in Minnesota. 
Josh just isn’t into drama and Diggs was a drama queen on steroids. Diggs is gone and I think we all not just Josh would be happier if we had better receivers behind him.

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I'm sure he would like at least one more high quality WR, but I also expect he is somewhat relieved and looking forward rather than backward. 

It offers him the opportunity to demonstrate that his success was and is not dependent on Diggs. 

The question on the qb pod asked by Jordan Palmer and Kyle Allen about this wr class is telling.  He is looking at wr hard.  He wanted Kincaid last year too.  Allen will pick the guy he wants imo.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Mat68 said:

The question on the qb pod asked by Jordan Palmer and Kyle Allen about this wr class is telling.  He is looking at wr hard.  He wanted Kincaid last year too.  Allen will pick the guy he wants imo.  

Very interesting.  I think Allen probably saw this coming and knew it was going to happen for awhile now.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Very interesting.  I think Allen probably saw this coming and knew it was going to happen for awhile now.  

It's especially interesting to look back at that interview now because when talking about Bills receivers, Josh listed everyone but Diggs. And at the time folks just figured "well, obviously Diggs is our #1 and a great WR so no need to hype him", but now it looks like Josh was aware the Bills were working on trading Diggs and he wouldnt be in the picture.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beane alluded yesterday that he had been in communication with Allen and informed him that there were calls about moving Diggs and it wasn't off the table. So, Allen knew this was a possibility. 

I don't believe that Allen would object because he understands the business side of things by now. I think Allen would like to have him on the field, but is also used to new faces and moving on. Change has been consistent in his career. Be it Beasley and Brown or even now with Diggs and even Gabe Davis...the ship sails on and he knows that 

My most likely take on his "feelings" on the matter is that he will miss the good that came with Diggs being here...but is also ready to move on and stop having to answer questions about their relationship and what's going on with Diggs 

• Like (+1) 1

I think so.

I'm not sure any of us can properly imagine what it must feel like to have a guy like Diggs chirping in your ear after every play. He's moody, he's mercurial, he's intense. He seems like the type of guy you maybe sort of have to walk on eggshells around. 

Sometimes, when a WR with a big, dominant ego/aura leaves, I think it has the potential to mentally free up a quarterback to just go out and play ball and throw it to the open guy, without having to worry about keeping one certain guy happy. 

Also, whereas in the first two seasons together, Diggs and Allen genuinely seemed like the best of friends and like they had a great relationship, the past two seasons (and especially last season), it seemed very forced. The things NOT being said, the way Diggs never seemed to publicly defend Allen the way Allen defended Diggs...it all spoke volumes. 

We'll likely never know exactly what happened or why it created the rift it did, but clearly SOMETHING changed between these guys along the way. It was palpable.

So yes, I bet Allen feels some relief. With Diggs and Morse and Gabe out the door, I also think the onus is now COMPLETELY on him to be the ass-kicking vocal leader of this offense. I hope and expect that he will come out this season playing looser, freer, having more fun, and leading his men.

I think that, at this moment in his career, this may wind up being exactly what Josh Allen needed.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Beane alluded yesterday that he had been in communication with Allen and informed him that there were calls about moving Diggs and it wasn't off the table. So, Allen knew this was a possibility. 

I don't believe that Allen would object because he understands the business side of things by now. I think Allen would like to have him on the field, but is also used to new faces and moving on. Change has been consistent in his career. Be it Beasley and Brown or even now with Diggs and even Gabe Davis...the ship sails on and he knows that 

My most likely take on his "feelings" on the matter is that he will miss the good that came with Diggs being here...but is also ready to move on and stop having to answer questions about their relationship and what's going on with Diggs 

I think Beane is just being "PC" and didn't want Allen in the spotlight with this.  I am willing to bet that Allen knew step by step.

If Beane had stated Allen knew that it was going to happen, then Allen starts getting questions that we are trying to avoid and drop the Diggs drama for good.

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think so.

I'm not sure any of us can properly imagine what it must feel like to have a guy like Diggs chirping in your ear after every play. He's moody, he's mercurial, he's intense. He seems like the type of guy you maybe sort of have to walk on eggshells around. 

Sometimes, when a WR with a big, dominant ego/aura leaves, I think it has the potential to mentally free up a quarterback to just go out and play ball and throw it to the open guy, without having to worry about keeping one certain guy happy. 

Also, whereas in the first two seasons together, Diggs and Allen genuinely seemed like the best of friends and like they had a great relationship, the past two seasons (and especially last season), it seemed very forced. The things NOT being said, the way Diggs never seemed to publicly defend Allen the way Allen defended Diggs...it all spoke volumes. 

We'll likely never know exactly what happened or why it created the rift it did, but clearly SOMETHING changed between these guys along the way. It was palpable.

So yes, I bet Allen feels some relief. With Diggs and Morse and Gabe out the door, I also think the onus is now COMPLETELY on him to be the ass-kicking vocal leader of this offense. I hope and expect that he will come out this season playing looser, freer, having more fun, and leading his men.

I think that, at this moment in his career, this may wind up being exactly what Josh Allen needed.

Yep.  Everyone hates being around someone like that in any setting.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

FWIW, Cowherd is claiming he heard Allen was getting tired of Diggs last off-season.

• Like (+1) 2

Sure, but Diggs is no different than plenty of other high profile WRs. He's actually more the "typical" WR.

So if Josh can't handle Diggs chirping, that's a Josh problem. Because if/when the Bills replace Diggs with other competitive, high profile WRs it's only a matter of time until they start the same behavior.

If we somehow landed MHJ, we're right back where we started.

• Eyeroll 3
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 5

34 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly don't think that the Bills do this without Allen give it a thumbs up.  

I think James Jones on one of those talk shows said the Bills figured out they can with without him.

Allen spreads the ball out well, maybe better than any QB in the league.  With Diggs getting up there in age, slowing down and Allen not having to worry about getting Diggs his targets....Allen could actually be better.  You can't force the balls to Diggs like it's 2020 or 2021 anymore.  Diggs will want his targets regardless if he's slowing down.

Allen can now just walk up to the line and can just throw it where he thinks its the best place to go rather than satisfying Diggs ego.  It has to be a relief IMO.

WR are diva's and probably will have to deal with something like this again but a more mature way.  I appreciate what Diggs did for us for 4 seasons but these, what Tim Graham said "micro aggressions" do get annoying, especially for Allen.

You have to assume both Allen and Brady gave their OKs.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

100%

he had to do media cover for him for like 2 seasons.

probably doesn’t hate Diggs because guys don’t really do that in the league, but it had to be annoying

I think it got beyond annoying and to the level of "sick of his s***".

This is just stuff that's made public.  Who knows how Diggs has been communicating with everyone behind the scenes.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I don't think he does.  At the end of the year everything was going to Kincaid, Cook and Shakir because it was being dropped by Diggs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don't think the trade means there's necessarily any beef between Allen & Diggs.

They could still be on decent terms personally, even if Diggs believes the organization is not going in the right direction.

Another factor to consider is the loss of all the locker room leadership. Poyer, White, Morse, etc. all gone, plus being cap strapped & unable to lure any big free agents. He probably thinks it's a rebuilding year, and that this version of the team has hit its ceiling.

He clearly doesn't believe the Bills are building to win now & wanted out. 

I also don't think they needed Allen's "blessing," if Diggs is the one who requested a trade. They certainly would've given him a heads up, but then again, Allen probably knew Diggs wanted out already (hell, he may have told Allen himself). 

21 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Beane said publicly that he informed Allen that teams were inquiring about Diggs.  But Beane also said that there are certain things that need to remain in-house.

I wonder if one of the in-house things is that there were more blunt conversations about Diggs between Allen, McD, and Beane.  Maybe Allen was unhappy with Diggs' attitude.  Or maybe Beane told Allen that they intended to unload Diggs and Beane wanted to know how Josh felt about that.  We'll probably never know the full truth.  

All I kept thinking was how the "You sure" comment on twitter would feel if I were his quarterback. Contrast that against the famous T. Owens interview where he teared up and said "that's my quarterback!"Online comments are always open to interpretation, but how could Josh not see that "You sure" comment and not feel somewhat salty.

QB/WR relationships are delicate, even Diva WR's usually know they have to maintain them. Once a WR starts thinking he is the cause of the success and is carrying the QB you have a serious problem. The good news is that any WR Diva's that join the Bills moving forward will be joining a team with a mature established elite QB. These types of QB's set the tone (even with Diva WR's), moreover they win with only average to good one's (see most Tom Brady's NE years and Patrick Mahones in 2023).

I think we'll see a fired up Josh Allen next year. The league should be afraid of JA out to prove he didn't need Diggs.

Edited by Ballhawk
  • Agree 3

I think the Bills have been very good including Allen in decision making.  Rodgers famously was very upset he didn't have more say with GB and I think most top QBs like to at least be informed.  I agree with others that this doesn't happen without Allen signing off on it. The Bills ate an extra 3 million extra to get rid of him as opposed to keeping him on the roster.  That to me speaks volumes.

I think everyone expects a WR to be the first round pick.  It is very possible the Bills don't want Diggs influencing the rookie negatively.  Also this move clearly makes the offense Allen's.  Thinking back to the Eagles with TO and McNabb, that poor relationship fractured the entire offense and the Bills now don't have to worry about that.  I don't know that Allen is relieved but I bet he is happy he can stop answering Stef Diggs questions.

Or this is just a case of getting rid of a guy a year too early as opposed to a year too late.  It's hard to ignore his decline towards the end of the season the last 2 years.  They traded Diggs while he still had value.  I originally thought it was a little low but when you look at the capital other receivers go for it wasn't far fetched.  Keenan Allen for a 4th, Calvin Ridley for next year 3, Amari Cooper for a 5.  I know it is delayed gratification but next year going into the offseason, the Bills will have an extra 25 million to work with and an extra 2nd round pick.  

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sure, but Diggs is no different than plenty of other high profile WRs. He's actually more the "typical" WR.

So if Josh can't handle Diggs chirping, that's a Josh problem. Because if/when the Bills replace Diggs with other competitive, high profile WRs it's only a matter of time until they start the same behavior.

Diggs has been traded from 2 teams under similar circumstances.

#14 is the problem here. To even pretend he isn’t is ignorant.

10 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I don't think the trade means there's necessarily any beef between Allen & Diggs.

They could still be on decent terms personally, even if Diggs believes the organization is not going in the right direction.

Another factor to consider is the loss of all the locker room leadership. Poyer, White, Morse, etc. all gone, plus being cap strapped & unable to lure any big free agents. He probably thinks it's a rebuilding year, and that this version of the team has hit its ceiling.

He clearly doesn't believe the Bills are building to win now & wanted out. 

I also don't think they needed Allen's "blessing," if Diggs is the one who requested a trade. They certainly would've given him a heads up, but then again, Allen probably knew Diggs wanted out already (hell, he may have told Allen himself). 

He acted the same way, if not worse, last off-season.

• Like (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Is James Jones that 3rd guy on "Speak"?  'Cuz yeah, I thought that part was interesting.  I haven't heard it elsewhere.

He may not be wrong.  Since the OT loss to Philly which left the Bills at 6-6, Diggs had one game where he was a significant contributor to the passing game.  Davis had 2.  During the 6 game W streak including the Pitts playoff game:

Diggs 4/24, 4/48, 5/29, 4/26, 7/87, 7/52 and the KC loss 3/21 including a fumble, a drop, and a catchable long ball he missed.

Davis 0, 2/56,0,4/105,0,0,4/130, 2/21, 0, inactive, inactive.

So Davis had 2 games where he contributed at a "#1 ish" level and 6 games where he didn't, which is one more game than Diggs had at a "#1 ish" level.

Pundits are all "whoaoa, that's a lot of receiver yards leaving the building" but maybe, after the last half of the season, the Bills don't see it that way.

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It may be different, because they were "Slime" and Diggs (like Beasley) was a big part of Josh's development, if that makes sense?  Like, you take being dissed off differently from a co-worker you have professional relationship only, vs. from someone you've "let in" as a friend?

Diggs may also be "chirpy'er" or different in how far he takes it, IDK.

Or you may be right, and it may be an issue with Josh that he has to "get over".

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Beane said publicly that he informed Allen that teams were inquiring about Diggs.

Yep that's what Beane said in yesterday's press conference. 

But he said things like "I didn't want him blindsided" and "it (trading Diggs) wasnt 100% off the table".

But that did not mean that Beane asked for Allen's approval. Beane must have been observing the goings on for the past 2 years, esp after the last contract adjustment for Diggs and his patience had run thin. And then thought - screw this drama esp when Diggs doesn't help put us over the top. At that point, he did not need to seek Allen's approval and I am guessing he did not. Keeping Allen in the loop (obvious and respectful) is different then seeking his blessing. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Beast said:

Diggs has been traded from 2 teams under similar circumstances.

#14 is the problem here. To even pretend he isn’t is ignorant.

I never said Diggs wasnt a problem. But Diggs' problems have been more with coaching both times. Zimmer and McD are very similar in many ways.

Separately, there is another discussion and point about how Josh's feelings and how he handles diva WRs which is what this thread is discussing.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

Is it wrong that I feel almost giddy about these developments? Excited about the possibilities coming up with the draft and finding a new franchise WR that can make it happen for Allen when it counts in the playoffs!! And the best part is some other team’s fans can stew over off-season cryptic Diggs tweets!!!

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

MHJ, Odunze, Nebors... The WR position was flipped on its ear from Larry Fitzgerald to Terrel Owens style.

They're the best athletes on the field right now. They know it. They act it. They're divas. 

Running backs in the 90s were the same. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Yep that's what Beane said in yesterday's press conference. 

But he said things like "I didn't want him blindsided" and "it (trading Diggs) wasnt 100% off the table".

But that did not mean that Beane asked for Allen's approval. Beane must have been observing the goings on for the past 2 years, esp after the last contract adjustment for Diggs and his patience had run thin. And then thought - screw this drama esp when Diggs doesn't help put us over the top. At that point, he did not need to seek Allen's approval and I am guessing he did not. Keeping Allen in the loop (obvious and respectful) is different then seeking his blessing. 

Just a little note that asking for approval (implying that Josh needs to sign off on the move, or has a hard veto) is different from asking for input.

I'm pretty sure Josh doesn't have a veto or need to approve the move.

I'm also pretty sure if Josh gave his input that "I really think Stef and I have great days ahead of us next year - we've been talking once or twice a week, he's planning to meet up and throw with me this month and again in May after OTAs, I really think we're good now!" that would have been weighted heavily.

But I don't think that was his input.

• Agree 1

I know *I* felt relief, not that anyone cares.  

It's going to be interesting to see whether the national media scrutinizes Diggs' actions as closely in Houston as they did here. 

Anyway, my guess is the convo went like this:

BEANE:  Josh, we're thinking of trading Stef.  Just wanted to let you know.

ALLEN:  <pause>

BEANE:  Josh?

ALLEN:  You sure?

BEANE:  That's all I needed to hear.

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I said this yesterday in the Diggs trade thread, that this situation could REALLY be addition by subtraction. This is what I was talking about in that. Allen has no one to try and appease now so he can just go play football again. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

I’m going to start by saying, once again, thank you to Stef for his contributions on the field and in the community.

That being said, it’s as good a time as any to close that chapter and start a new one. The narrative surrounding the Bills and Josh Allen is that he needed Stef to become who he is, and there may be some truth to that, but Josh now has the luxury of experience and commanding an offense. He has always played with a chip on his shoulder since high school, and this is just more fuel to the fire: he has an opportunity to prove to the world he is an elite QB no matter who he throws to. Diggs was a major force early last year, but fell off when Brady assumed OC duties.

What will the narrative be when Josh performs well without #14? What about when we play Houston this year? What will it be when he finally gets a win over KC in the playoffs, or hangs one on Cincy? What will it be when he wins his first MVP or Super Bowl?

Give Allen the pen and let’s see what he writes for himself. 

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, boyst said:

MHJ, Odunze, Nebors... The WR position was flipped on its ear from Larry Fitzgerald to Terrel Owens style.

They're the best athletes on the field right now. They know it. They act it. They're divas. 

I mean, I dont necessarily disagree with your point but WRs have been like this for a long time. Andre Reed was a known malcontent and chirper. Keyshawn Johnson was a thing. Randy Moss was Randy Moss. Isaac Bruce was well known for his sideline blowups in St Louis in the late 90s.

Larry Fitzgerald was more an aberration. But even with Fitz, watching Kurt Warners' "A Football Life", Warner had to light a fire under Fitzgerald just to get him to practice hard or train in the offseason which he thought he was too good for early in his career.

I expect our next #1 WR to have a similar attitude. So should Josh.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

I'd just like to point out the 10 best receivers in football last season (yds) were Tyreek Hill, CeeDee Lamb, Amon-Ra St Brown, Puka Nacua, AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Aiyuk, Nico Collins, Mike Evans, and Amari Cooper.  Jefferson fell to 19th overall because he missed time, but was second in Y/G.

Hill is in a class by himself, but if he ***** about not "getting his bag" because Waddle, I haven't heard about it.

What Diva-like behavior have Lamb, St Brown, Nacua, and AJ Brown exhibited?  Moore?  Aiyuk?  Evans?  Cooper?  Jefferson?

2022: Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Brown, Diggs, Lamb, Kelce, Davonte Smith, Terry McLaurin.   

Again, aside from Hill and Diggs, what Diva-like behavior has been heard about or observed from Jefferson, Adams, Brown, Lamb, Kelce, Davonte Smith, McLaurin?

Diggs arriving helped make Allen a better QB.  Diggs leaving will likely make him an even better QB.

I think the past couple of years, Allen has adjusted his own game to try to accommodate Diggs and keep him "happy."  It wouldn't surprise me if his turnovers went down now - instead of trying to force things to Diggs, he might get back to just playing loose & having fun.

• Like (+1) 1