[POLL] Should The Bills Trade Up For A WR?

boyst

[POLL]Trade Up For A WR? Who?  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Should we trade up inside the top 8 for a WR?

• Yes
    • No

Nope, this team has a number of needs. Can’t risk multiple premium picks on the hopes  your WR will be *that much* better than any taken after him (which statistically is a 50/50 proposition btw).

Even now I’d support a trade back before a trade up.

Edited by Brand J
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

We are entering the teams second window with Allen.

We will NEVER see another QB his calibre on this team.  Not in this lifetime.

GO ALL IN NOW.  GET TOP TARGET.

Edited by Blackbeard
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Before I would have said stay out and take who is left. After the trade, yes absolutely we should move up and we have the ammo. The extra second makes it easier to trade away a top pick next year. 

1 + 1 for BT

1 +1 +2 for Rome

Time to make a splash 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

I voted yes, but even with the 2nd next year in the mix they are not getting to top 8. 

According to the nfl trade chart this year's first and 2nd and next year's first is equivalent to about the 5th pick this year,  so it's definitely doable. 

Heck,  they can even trade up by only using the 1st this year and 2 2nd rd picks and still holding on to next year's 1st.

10 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

We are entering the teams second window with Allen.

We will NEVER see another QB his calibre on this team.  Not in this lifetime.

GO ALL IN NOW.  GET TOP TARGET.

We absolutely need to focus on offense until we have the juggernaut that we should have with Allen at QB.  

Having said that, just use the picks we have.  Beane's got us in enough of a hole already, and as others have said, the difference between a WR taken before 28th and at 28th, other than for Harrison who we have zero chance of landing under any circumstances, could very well be negative, but marginal otherwise if the team does it's homework.  Just not another second-tier prospect please.  

Time to shift the focus from McD's pet project D to the O.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

No. Not at that cost.

I can see a small 2-3 spot hop. But many of the moves being made have appeared to be geared to the 2025 off season. I think we see how the draft falls, hold onto those resources and select a WR this year in the first 2 days. I don't think the trade changes the urgency, despite the knee-jerk reaction it will create for fans 

• Like (+1) 3

It's a risky proposition.  Any draft pick could be a bust, so despite the glaring need at WR, I think they're better off keeping what they have and picking 2 WRs in the draft.  It's a deep draft for WRs.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, boyst said:

Should they package a trade that would include this years first, next year's first and second to pick in the top 8 for a WR?

Trade up? Yes. Trade all of THAT to get into the top 8? Heck no.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Don't be scared because the Sammy Watkins trade didn't work out.
Look at the Julio Jones trade, which DID work out.

Send a package of picks (including this year's and next year's 1st, plus a future 2nd and 4th, or whatever the value chart dictates) to Chicago for the 9th pick. Draft Rome Odunze. Allen has a blue chip, franchise WR on a cost controlled deal for five years. A top playmaker who can grow with Allen and be the driving force in this passing game for years to come.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Draft position chart shows the Bills might leapfrog to 15 or 16 but they will not get to top 8 with a 2nd next year.

What about first this year and our first next year? 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m no draft expert and don’t know anything about the prospects but the Bills need an elite receiver to replace Diggs. If that is what it takes to draft “the guy” then I say YES!

• Like (+1) 1

In order to trade up you have to find a team willing to trade down all the way to 28. It would take more than the normal value chart to convince a team to not draft a potential all-pro type player in order to pick in the 20's the next 2 seasons. You would have to sweeten the pot

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Take a WR at 28… and then use the Diggs pick to move up to Top 40 and take another…

This could result in McConkey and Legette 

Legette is a boom or bust prospect, same goes for Mitchell. At this point I’m hoping we trade up for Brian Thomas Jr.. He’s a true #1. Add someone like Troy Franklin, Xavier Worthy, Ja’Lynn Polk, Burton or Pearsall in RD2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

Legette is a boom or bust prospect, same goes for Mitchell. At this point I’m hoping we trade up for Brian Thomas Jr.. He’s a true #1. Add someone like Troy Franklin, Xavier Worthy, Ja’Lynn Polk, Burton or Pearsall in RD2.

I’m not trading the 1st Round pick in 2025 though …

That might end up a bit higher then people might be thinking if things start going off the rails 

5 hours ago, boyst said:

Should they package a trade that would include this years first, next year's first and second to pick in the top 8 for a WR?

Yes

I thought that they might before this deal but they absolutely should. Getting a stud, number 1, on a rookie deal is imperative. You’ll need another guy in the mid rounds as well. Something like Odunze and Baker or something like that would be nice.

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I’m not trading the 1st Round pick in 2025 though …

That might end up a bit higher then people might be thinking if things start going off the rails 

Our roster is still elite. When Josh Allen is your QB, you’re going to the playoffs. We may need some help at WR but we still have Samuel, Kincaid, Knox, Shakir, Cook and it looks like Beane is about double down on WR in the draft. I am not even remotely worried.

• Eyeroll 1

I am really puzzled by number of fans who are willing to sell the farm for massive trade up.

I for one want to stay put and take the best WR available (or BPA if he is clearly graded above best WR), or maybe make a small trade up for Thomas if he falls, but other than that - stay where you are and get a good player there. Price for top 10 pick is too steep for us.

I also want to keep next years pick we just got from Texans. The more players you draft the higher chance that you actually hit.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Calling my shot.

Bears get

2024 1st

2025 1st

late rd pick

Bills get

2024 1st #9

Would take two 2nds as well.

Two 1sts, two 2nds and a mid-late pick should get you to falcons pick. That’s using older draft value chart and assuming the first in 2020 is the same spot and devalued a round.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

Our roster is still elite. When Josh Allen is your QB, you’re going to the playoffs. We may need some help at WR but we still have Samuel, Kincaid, Knox, Shakir, Cook and it looks like Beane is about double down on WR in the draft. I am not even remotely worried.

I don’t expect them to stink … but it’s not out of the question with a lot of reliance on a couple of rookie WRs and Kincaid and Shakir 

16 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Take a WR at 28… and then use the Diggs pick to move up to Top 40 and take another…

This could result in McConkey and Legette 

Well, I'd be good with a trade up for one of the top 3, and a somewhat less expensive trade up for Thomas, but if they go the combo route, this is the one I like.

13 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

In order to trade up you have to find a team willing to trade down all the way to 28. It would take more than the normal value chart to convince a team to not draft a potential all-pro type player in order to pick in the 20's the next 2 seasons. You would have to sweeten the pot

Beane has painted himself into a corner similar to what he did two years ago.  Everyone knows he needs a WR just like everyone then knew he needed a CB.  If he tries to move up into the top 10, it’s for Odunze.  If he tries to move up into the top 15-20 range, it’s for Brian Thomas.  The team on the other end of the phone knows this and would be immediately calling every GM in need of a WR trying to drive the price up.  

If I’m Pegula, I’d sooner fire Beane than let him mortgage the future for a #1 WR on this team.  They’ve had a #1 WR for the past several seasons and couldn’t get it done.  This team isn’t a rookie WR away from being championship level, and there’s no chance in hell I’m letting Beane try to save his job at the expense of the team’s future.  If anything, I’m nailing Allen’s feet to the floor and then trading away everything that isn’t nailed down for future picks.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Well, I'd be good with a trade up for one of the top 3, and a somewhat less expensive trade up for Thomas, but if they go the combo route, this is the one I like.

I think the move into the Top 8 from 28 is highly unlikely … they need two guys now

3 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I am really puzzled by number of fans who are willing to sell the farm for massive trade up.

I for one want to stay put and take the best WR available (or BPA if he is clearly graded above best WR), or maybe make a small trade up for Thomas if he falls, but other than that - stay where you are and get a good player there. Price for top 10 pick is too steep for us.

I also want to keep next years pick we just got from Texans. The more players you draft the higher chance that you actually hit.

Crazy to me too. Higher draft position does not equate to “better player.” If it did, if players selected higher were better 80% of the time than ones selected after them, then sure, go up and get the prospect who can’t miss. That’s not even remotely true as we all know. The only thing you’re guaranteed by moving up is less picks to hit on an impact player. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think the move into the Top 8 from 28 is highly unlikely … they need two guys now

I think it is unlikely as well. Something like McConkey and Legette is more achievable. I've been high on both of them, so I'd be happy to see that happen.

• Like (+1) 3

With how deep this class is I don’t want them spending the assets necessary to move that far up but I’d be all for double dipping at the WR position in rounds 1 and 2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1