Diggs traded to Texans for picks

2 hours ago, billybob71 said:

and that was the only way I could see him staying in Buffalo was dropping to a WR 2 type role, and I don't think he would have embraced that

At different times last season I had either Collins or Dell on my fantasy team. They were playmaker that will be hard to take the ball from them. I'm a bit surprised Texans were the team Doggs went to

• Like (+1) 1

I hope Beane holds strong to a diplomatic line. "Thought it was in the best interest of our long term financial health, Stephon has been a great Bill and consummate professional, hate to play against him but it made sense for us."

Keeping it classy no matter what is a good FO approach. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

we went 5-1 to get in, and he was not a major factor 

That doesn't have any bearing on the veracity of what I said. I was just adding full information to your statement. 

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

For context they’ve been saying they thought Diggs was a slam dunk restructure this offseason. 

They don’t understand the Diggs contract situation at the most fundamental level so they are overplaying the “Diggs is the most toxic player ever” card. 

Parts of Cover 1 are a good watch/listen like when they review tape, some of there content providers seem to think their opinions are all that and a bag of chips…, 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’m at peace with this trade. 

It is clear Diggs wanted out.  Beane had no leverage and probably did the best he could. 

I like the Vikings but now I have to hope they go 0 - 17. 

Upside though is no more cryptic tweet threads. 

Just now, BillsfaninSB said:

It is clear Diggs wanted out.  Beane had no leverage and probably did the best he could. 

You just wait until Diggs says that Stroud is better than Josh. That'll be good for at least 200 pages.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

With all of the opinions that are flying out there in this thread there is one that is dead wrong: this does not mean a rebuild. Not in the least! Personally I feel better that he’s gone.

1 minute ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I don't think either of things are necessarily true, but certainly not the 2nd.  You don't get a team's 2nd round draft pick for nothing.

Just now, Low Positive said:

You just wait until Diggs says that Stroud is better than Josh. That'll be good for at least 200 pages.

Just wait till Diggs starts sending out cryptic tweets in Houston..........it's coming.

It's hard to keep a good cancer down.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Exactly, we don't know what this means yet until Beane replaces him. There's a number of possibilities that could make the team stronger or weaker. Time will tell. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Another upside is we don't have to hear  his brother wants Stef out of Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I wish. I'd do it in a heartbeat but doubt we can move up enuf to land that guy. The class is very good but the top three are really not only in a different class but in a different universe than any of the others in terms of demonstrated ability. Almost inconceivable that they bust or seriously underperform. Thomas and AD Mitchell are next best imo but even if not quite boom or bust they are largely trait based picks at this point with an awful lot to learn if they are going to realize their potential at the next level. They could also use a little luck in terms of landing spots. Buffalo should be good but this coaching staff also still needs to prove that they can develop a true #1 receiver.

Rome O is almost.certainly going to be a great pro. I doubt we even get to sniff him.

I'm hoping for Rome O.  It does sound hard to get, but the others were great selections when we had Diggs and had a year of development.  The next tier down would still be desirable for the Gabe development replacement (Legette/K Coleman/McConkey/T Franklin) but for 2024 WR1 I would like something better.

The other option is trading for Aiyuk (I think J Jeff is too expensive to think about).

Personally, I would love to see two of these rookies, Rome and one of the second tier.  It would be out of character from what we have seen from Beane and McD but would be great to see.  It would usher in a new era with Josh as the veteran leader and we would see the team develop.

THANK-YOU Diggs for the time you spent here.

....but best days are clearly in the rearview mirror and I'm so happy to get COMPENSATION for this move in the form of draft picks in a WR deep draft.

Younger, faster, stronger.  

Let's GO.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

And losing our WR1 while having a large cap hit dedicated to him this year. I'm not making a statement on the trade, but it's a missing piece of context to that statement. 

It felt a bit like we lost our WR1 some time last Fall. 

Just a little more context. Part of me actually thought he was hurt.  🤷‍♂️

But he will come out fired up next year! I can guarantee you THAT!!!  😂 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't think you understand that figure of speech..

anyway--it certainly was not the new OC that put a fork in Diggs--the player was taking himself out when he was displeased (with Josh Allen of all people!!).  What other, "to a large extent" are responsible for his decline?  They should be easy for you to name since you seem convinced. 

the bulk of coverage?  both in week 14 and the playoffs v. KC, he whined about them doubling as an excuse for his crappy performance.  yet after each game, the Chiefs D were quick to comment that they weren't even doubling him up.

give us your "stone facts"

You don't think I understand that figure of speech, sour grapes? Well, you're wrong about that. That's a stone fact.

It's a stone fact that defenders don't always tell the truth about how they covered a guy.

Diggs had safeties coming over the top of him all year long, even if it wasn't man to man. And why not? He was by far our best WR.

In this year's playoff game against the Chiefs, it's a fact that on the play with 5:47 in the 4th quarter he had two guys within a step or to of him and Josh threw it to him anyway, that on the 4th down completion to Shakir on the left at 4:45, Diggs is the only guy on the right side or going there and when Shakir cuts back the guy who ran with him is staring right at Diggs, the only guy on that side and he doesn't notice Shakir cut back until way too late. Man-to-man coverage and Diggs ends up with two guys around him, Shakir none.

It's a fact that on the next pass play, at 3:19 and 3rd and 4 Diggs is alone on the right side, tight to the line and they've got trips on the left. The safety on the left comes down to cover one of the trips, leaving one safety deep. Diggs collects his CB, an LB who heads towards him despite him being the only guy on that side, and the deep safety stays in the middle, leaving a ton of room for Sherfield to convert. Here:

image.png.8466d90430af1222af68f3f47b9decaf.png

And those four around him don't include the safety still on Diggs' side behind all these guys.

I mean, I guess the Chiefs don't consider this double teaming, since they didn't do that? Again, Diggs was the only receiver on that side.

I went to watch the crucial drive at the end, the one that ended with the missed field goal. I watched specifically the first few plays and described above. The coverage was absolutely focused on Diggs.

That's a fact.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1

This'll make it much tougher to win the first 10 games of the year. Week 11 on and the playoffs is usually when Diggs starts disappearing for the season though. Diggs has always been the opposite of a clutch player.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I hope Beane holds strong to a diplomatic line. "Thought it was in the best interest of our long term financial health, Stephon has been a great Bill and consummate professional, hate to play against him but it made sense for us."

Keeping it classy no matter what is a good FO approach. 

I disagree with the “consummate professional” part of your post. Consummate pros don’t walk out on their teams after a tough playoff loss two years in a row, they also catch the Damn Ball in huge moments in huge games! See ya Diggs! You were good for a while, but you ruined it, and screwed our Bills in the process! Also your game day outfits are a joke! You look like a 15 year old girl who’s not sure if she wants to go full Gothic! Have fun Huston! 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

It felt a bit like we lost our WR1 some time last Fall. 

Just a little more context. Part of me actually thought he was hurt.  🤷‍♂️

But he will come out fired up next year! I can guarantee you THAT!!!  😂 

I agree fwiw. Just the implication of 'the only this this changes is adding 3m on this year's cap' is a tad incomplete, because we lose Stefon Diggs while doing so. 

Just now, 0017 said:

I disagree with the “consummate professional” part of your post. Consummate pros don’t walk out on their teams after a tough playoff loss two years in a row, they also catch the Damn Ball in huge moments in huge games!

I agree. I'm just saying what I hope Brandon says, because other players will see we never treat our current of former players poorly. 

4 minutes ago, eball said:

I don't think either of things are necessarily true, but certainly not the 2nd.  You don't get a team's 2nd round draft pick for nothing.

True.  A second round is not nothing and the Texans wanted Diggs so Beane had something to work with, but he had his back to the wall to get something done.  I’m sure he had to compromise more than he would have liked. 

The consensus on this board was the the Bills got fleeced.   I think Beane did well despite the position he was in. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bills14221 said:

This certainly makes the Texans visit to Orchard Park a lot more interesting next season.  

They aren’t visiting Orchard Park

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Far from a troll. Big-time Bills fan, here. If you don't like my posts, block me. Quit acting like a baby while asking others to back you up. That's some weak 💩. Stand on your own.

You sure sound like a troll, especially when you get all defensive.  I'm sorry if I upset you,  lil guy! :)

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Beane, as always, great job not actually answering any questions.

How carefully he answered some were very telling though, IMO. 

Did Diggs ask for a trade? Beane:

Tom Cruise Hide GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I agree fwiw. Just the implication of 'the only this this changes is adding 3m on this year's cap' is a tad incomplete, because we lose Stefon Diggs while doing so. 

I agree. I'm just saying what I hope Brandon says, because other players will see we never treat our current of former players poorly. 

For what it’s worth, and for lack of a better place for me to do it, I need to eat some crow for being among the crowd who thought they’d never be so bold as to trade him due to cap implications. I was wrong.

Not unhappy, but wrong. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

At the presser, Beane said, "Certain things need to be kept in-house."

That leads me to believe Brooke Kromer (Aaron's daughter) knows what she's talking about when she tweets: "Good riddance.  There's always a reason & always a plan."

There's some behind-the-scenes drama with Diggs we may never learn about.  

• Like (+1) 1

Schefter just said on NFL Live:

"Move the Bills knew was coming - a move they felt like they had to make.  It was inevitable with this relationship running its course that the Bills were going to have to go in a different direction.   Sometimes, as great as Stefon Diggs is, there's addition by subtraction - and sometimes you can create a better environment even though you don't have the talent that you'd like in Buffalo.  And so that is what the Buffalo Bills I believe are putting their hopes into right now - that they're hoping some of these young receivers can step up, they're hoping that there's better chemistry, they're hoping that there's not some of the sideline disagreements that there were between Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs.  It's hard to lose a player as great as Stefon Diggs ... they're hoping that by moving on that this team somhow can be just as good, just as effective.

Just tuned in and they were all talking about the Houston side of it how great it is for them, Stroud etc

2 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

True.  A second round is not nothing and the Texans wanted Diggs so Beane had something to work with, but he had his back to the wall to get something done.  I’m sure he had to compromise more than he would have liked. 

The consensus on this board was the the Bills got fleeced.   I think Beane did well despite the position he was in. 

Diggs poor behavior on Twitter made it hard for Beane to maneuver.

3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I'm hoping for Rome O.  It does sound hard to get, but the others were great selections when we had Diggs and had a year of development.  The next tier down would still be desirable for the Gabe development replacement (Legette/K Coleman/McConkey/T Franklin) but for 2024 WR1 I would like something better.

The other option is trading for Aiyuk (I think J Jeff is too expensive to think about).

Personally, I would love to see two of these rookies, Rome and one of the second tier.  It would be out of character from what we have seen from Beane and McD but would be great to see.  It would usher in a new era with Josh as the veteran leader and we would see the team develop.

I too would love RO. And I do think the Bills draft two good prospects at the WR position. I fear they may well have to move up in the first but I see it more for Thomas or Mitchell, not one of the top three. Given other needs I don't see them picking another one until later in the draft, fourth or fifth round perhaps. 

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

So much for the made up narrative on this board parroted by so many posters that Diggs absolutely wants to finish his career on the Bills.

As I've said before...he is a 2 face. 

I mean he did say that 2 years ago, but like BBB said, lots can change in 2 years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1