Knox "Reworks" Deal Frees Cap

MAJBobby

Just now, Back2Buff said:

Hoping they didnt just push stuff down the road with him.

If it was, we would be hearing "restructure"

If we are taking the Miller model, I would suspect that it's a base salary reduction with a potential to be even more money if he returns to 2021 form.

Which...if he's getting 550 yards and 8 TD, I am ok with.

• Like (+1) 3

I was told a couple weeks ago Knox was approached about a paycut. I'm not sure what leverage we used considering his dead money hit would have been higher than his normal cap hit, but I'm glad to see he accepted the paycut. Perhaps we threatened a release with a post-6/1 designation?

Glad to see Beane being especially ruthless this offseason. It is a necessary change.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

Hoping they didnt just push stuff down the road with him.

There is not much more they can do, unless the converted or reduced his contract $ and then added a load of additional incentives for this year.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

"reworked" sounds more like a pay cut than just a restructure

I'm glad Von and Knox were willing to take less money after a down year.

Curious what the terms of this looks like? 

Shooting from the hip I am curious if they basically added a year or two, kept the same total value but increased his guarantees? That would mean that Knox would ultimately have more security and guaranteed money even if it means less year to year? 

Unsure though. Just guessing. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I was told a couple weeks ago Knox was approached about a paycut. I'm not sure what leverage we used considering his dead money hit would have been higher than his normal cap hit, but I'm glad to see he accepted the paycut. Perhaps we threatened a release with a post-6/1 designation?

Glad to see Beane being especially ruthless this offseason. It is a necessary change.

Sounds like a similar deal to Von. I think the guy likes playing in Buffalo and with Josh Allen who they are really good friends. Wonder if that played a small part in this. 

Imagine working you way up the depth chart, balling out, and signing a big contract to be the TE1 of a top offense for years to come.

Then the very next offseason your team trades up in the 1st round to select another tight end, and the offseason after that, they're knocking on your day asking you to take a paycut.

Tough business. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Solid TE 2 restructures his deal to help the team out probably in the normal way, thread full of people crapping on him and asking if it's a pay cut even though nobody really does that ever.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

It's amazing how cut throat it gets when you are in the bottom of the league with positive cap space.  

And you had such a bad group of contract signings of just of a few players.

Von Miller's contract is really coming to fruition on its detriment and negative effect on this team.

I still think this VM contract was the worst FA signing in Bills history.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

So Knox this year was.

4.91M Base

1.4M Signing Bonus

5M Roster Bonus.

I am guessing that Roster Bonus is the place they reworked.  Though maybe it was a tear up and redo of the contract (doubt it) 

Just now, Toyo321 said:

It's amazing how cut throat it gets when you are in the bottom of the league with positive cap space.  

And you had such a bad group of contract signings of just of a few players.

Von Miller's contract is really coming to fruition on its detriment and negative effect on this team.

I still think this VM contract was the worst FA signing in Bills history.

If he had not been injured would you have same opinion @Nostradamus?

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Solid TE 2 restructures his deal to help the team out probably in the normal way, thread full of people crapping on him and asking if it's a pay cut even though nobody really does that ever.

It is a paycut. Players do it all the time if they know the alternative is a release and the risk of having to accept an even worse salary.

And typically I am against the paycuts Beane gives out, historically they have still ended up being a waste of money. But in this case it was the only realistic means of saving money on Knox's contract without tying up more future money.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know, as we have not seen the money, is that Beane was able to layer incentives on Von's deal. Due to the way that incentives are structured, "not likely to be earned" can mean a modest improvement over that happened the previous year and do not count until next years cap. So "play 15 games", "500 receiving yards", "6 TD" (all numbers he hit in 2022) would apply and could mean he gets even more take home money if he bets on himself. Of course, if he is just a dud and gets outstripped by Kincaid he gets injured he gets none of it.

If that's Beane's strategy to get out of bad contact years for underperforming players, it's kind of genius

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Imagine working you way up the depth chart, balling out, and signing a big contract to be the TE1 of a top offense for years to come.

Then the very next offseason your team trades up in the 1st round to select another tight end, and the offseason after that, they're knocking on your day asking you to take a paycut.

Tough business. 

Now imagine you’re the next guy they approach about signing a contract with them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

that's what i was wondering when it was mentioned. how and why and all of that was it possible? i can only fathom the depth of WR's in the draft as well as some top end TE's made this happen. a post June 1 release would have been difficult for both sides, regardless. i cannot believe he did this but appreciate it. it was hard to believe at the time.

I would love a scenario where the Bills have Brock Bowers available in the first and see what they do, regardless. 

the next two rumors i heard will be interesting to see if they come out - two restructures. one could be surprising to most LB.

12 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Ever…..one of our players doing exactly that last week

9 minutes ago, Billl said:

Now imagine you’re the next guy they approach about signing a contract with them.

I'm pretty sure we did this with Mitch Morse a few years back.  I don't think there's ever been a concern amongst players about Brandon Beane not being someone they respect with communication/negotiation etc. 

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

the next two rumors i heard will be interesting to see if they come out - two restructures. one could be surprising to most LB.

Does it rhyme with Katt Silano? 🤔

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

I don’t really understand Von and Knox taking pay cuts. What leverage do the Bills have in this scenarios? They can’t really cut these guys due to the dead cap. Why do the players say yes?

Culture 

• Like (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I don’t really understand Von and Knox taking pay cuts. What leverage do the Bills have in this scenarios? They can’t really cut these guys due to the dead cap. Why do the players say yes?

Because they are true team players that want to WIN in Buffalo, and have a unique set of principles 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1