Justin Simmons released 👀

25 minutes ago, WMDman said:

using AJ in what is basically a "they have to stop paying old vets" argument is just bad. this is AJs first big contract and its not even that expensive for a young DE whos gotten better each year.

also what made it clear we didnt have a SB roster... 

for some reason i remembered you as a decent non bills fan poster, I guess its the other chiefs fan on here who actually made decent points

I’m using AJ to illustrate that there is no consistency in their plan (if they turn around and sign Simmons which I don’t believe they will).  Floyd was old, but he was super productive.  They chose to pay AJ who is young but unproductive instead.  That’s fine if they’re committed to getting younger, but if they’re going to pick up Justin Simmons after trading a 3rd round pick for a 29 year old Rasul Douglas then letting a 24 year old Gabe Davis walk, then clearly that’s not their commitment.

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

I’m using AJ to illustrate that there is no consistency in their plan (if they turn around and sign Simmons which I don’t believe they will).  Floyd was old, but he was super productive.  They chose to pay AJ who is young but unproductive instead.  That’s fine if they’re committed to getting younger, but if they’re going to pick up Justin Simmons after trading a 3rd round pick for a 29 year old Rasul Douglas then letting a 24 year old Gabe Davis walk, then clearly that’s not their commitment.

Why can’t they go case by case to assemble the best team possible? 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

If Simmons is signed and a draft pick made the plan is Simmons is the bridge to the draft pick.  Simmons is 2 years younger and that isn't insignificant.  I don't need a FA to come in for 5 or 6 years.  I need someone for 1 or 2 at the most while the rookie gets seasoning.  The safety market is going to be weird.  If you could get Hyde back for a year for next to nothing with the same plan of passing it off to 2024 draftee in 2025 would you do it?

Absolutely not.  I would draft a rookie and let him play.  Hyde was a terrific player at one point in his career, but he’s completely shot.    The only thing that matters for the Bills is the postseason.  Why would you waste 25% of a rookie contract that could be used getting him game reps during the regular season in preparation just to trot the corpse of Micah Hyde out for another season?

• Like (+1) 1

This tweet was even earlier today.  Don’t know if the person has anymore street cred than Dick Trickle IV 😎.  Maybe it’s already been pointed out, but apparently Simmons played college ball with Milano at BC, then obviously played with Von in Denver too.  So overlap w some of the guys on our team.  Also 3x Walter Payton nominee, aside from his All-Pro accolades.  Might be the kind of veteran stopgap Beane and McD look for, while trying to land a young safety stud in upcoming drafts.

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

This tweet was even earlier today.  Don’t know if the person has anymore street cred than Dick Trickle IV 😎.  Maybe it’s already been pointed out, but apparently Simmons played college ball with Milano at BC, then obviously played with Von in Denver too.  So overlap w some of the guys on our team.  Also 3x Walter Payton nominee, aside from his All-Pro accolades.  Might be the kind of veteran stopgap Beane and McD look for, while trying to land a young safety stud in upcoming drafts.

FAKE account.  That person intentionally posts fake news to “cause chaos”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Billl said:

Douglas has one year left on his deal, during which I guarantee you the FO is hoping Elam figures it out under new coaching. 

I’m so glad they signed AJ for less and let Floyd walk.   AJ flashes but is inconsistent.  If it ever clicks for him, he’ll be a problem.  Floyd was great for the first half is the season.. was nonexistent down the stretch. 

So far, i think they finally get it.. that “running it back” ran its course and a shakeup is needed. 

However, if we pay Justin Simmons legit money… yea, I wouldn’t understand that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Douglas has one year left on his deal, during which I guarantee you the FO is hoping Elam figures it out under new coaching. 

I’m so glad they signed AJ for less and let Floyd walk.   AJ flashes but is inconsistent.  If it ever clicks for him, he’ll be a problem.  Floyd was great for the first half is the season.. was nonexistent down the stretch. 

So far, i think they finally get it.. that “running it back” ran its course and a shakeup is needed. 

why on earth not?  Simmons has the most INT’s in the NFL since 2016 and Rasul is a takeaway machine as well. We’re trying to win.

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

they're not going to give simmons a bunch of money

it would be monumentally dumb

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

why on earth not?  Simmons has the most INT’s in the NFL since 2016 and Rasul is a takeaway machine as well. We’re trying to win.

“Since 2016..”

That’s why.    I have zero desire to have money and/or 30+ dudes at Safety. 

Not when we have 1 DT and absolute nonsense at WR currently. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

And if Elam can work his way in, our secondary could be a takeaway machine.  He really has a nose for the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Billl said:

Take a look at the snap count and comparing number and let me know if he was unproductive.

groot
PD 4
FF 1 
FR 1
SK 5
TKL 30
53%

floyd
PD 1
FF 1
Tkl 21

SK 10.5
54%

AJE
PD 8
FF 1
FR 1

SK 6.5
Tkl 9
36%

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Why can’t they go case by case to assemble the best team possible? 

Of course they can, but are they getting it right?  Von was brought in under a big contract.  He got hurt and has been an albatross.  Leonard Floyd was brought in.  He had 10.5 sacks, and they let him walk. They traded a third round pick for Douglas.  He got hurt, missed time, and was then completely ineffective in the postseason.  They brought back Hyde and Poyer, and both were husks of their former selves by the time the season ended.  

Floyd is easily the biggest success story the team has had in terms of bringing in an aging veteran, and they sent him packing after one season.  Why would anyone want them to bring in another expensive player over the age of 30?  It just makes no sense to me.  It’s not even like I’m criticizing the Bills’ FO because it’s a move they haven’t even made.  I’m criticizing the idea of a theoretical move that strikes me as being a bad idea.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Billl said:

how is there no consistency, since McD took over they have kept their own (dion, tre, josh,  milano, taron,ed oliver, dawson, bass). while also adding vets cole beasley was 29, john brown was 28, feliciano 27, daryl williams 28 daquan 30. 

all who have heavily contributed or had career years, as far as AJE vs Floyd youre acting as if AJ had 3 sacks and signed some huuuge deal. AJ had 6.5 sacks compared to 10, aj also had 7 TFLs to Floyds 9. AJ played 200 less snaps and is 6 years older so something tells me if this was the chiefs you would be parading around telling anybody in earshot what a masterful decision it was by reid/veach

yes Von has been somewhat disappointing, great pre acl/awful since but I commend BB for swinging for the fences and as far as Douglas goes he was by far our best boundary CB 

not every FA signing is a home run. shocker. 

*edit* also by your logic the pats shouldnt have traded for moss because they just drafted a WR in the second round the year before. they didnt win the SB when he was there either, what a inconsistent move. because you know everything is as black and white as that right?

Edited by WMDman
spelling is hard at midnight
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Special K said:

Has there been any updates on Simmons??

I’d love for the Bills be in the mix.

Believe the last talk was Tennessee and Philadelphia. I’m sure there are others. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/11/2024 at 11:22 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

Exactly! I agree 100%.

We lost Poyer, Hyde, Dane Jackson, S. Neal, L. Floyd.

we kept/gained: AJ Ep, D. Jones, new LB from Philly Morrow.

We NEED defense boys! Simmons would be a BIG AWESOME GET!!

• Agree 1

On 3/11/2024 at 11:12 PM, Billl said:

Absolutely not.  I would draft a rookie and let him play.  Hyde was a terrific player at one point in his career, but he’s completely shot.    The only thing that matters for the Bills is the postseason.  Why would you waste 25% of a rookie contract that could be used getting him game reps during the regular season in preparation just to trot the corpse of Micah Hyde out for another season?

Well i think the point is... the corpse of micah hyde is better than the rookie.  Therefore increasing the chances of winning vs. losing.  

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Beane it's time to get this done.

3 years 28 million, incentives worth up to 36 million 

I'd love to sign him too, but is this where the money is coming from??

618f40af05652a6be107d4ba60f7b39c.gif

• Like (+1) 2

I think Simmons and Rapp will be better than what Hyde and Poyer gave the Bills the last two years.

Simmons should be an easy signing here.

But who knows what McBeane are up to with the safety spot.

I can’t remember the interviewed person I heard but the person talking said that Safety is the new Running Back…at least for now, as far as being position teams don’t want to spend money on.

The reason given is that teams are employing two high more and more and that basically requires just don’t get beat deep. Teams feel they can basically plug in any player that has decent speed and they will be fine.

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

SS will be this year’s MLB, where the coaches have a guy they love but the fans don’t see it. 

100%.  I dont see them going to too small.  Do they go slot/ box or more deep saftey style. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I think Simmons and Rapp will be better than what Hyde and Poyer gave the Bills the last two years.

Simmons should be an easy signing here.

But who knows what McBeane are up to with the safety spot.

Simmons is one of the best safeties in the NFL.  Everyone would love him, but I just can't see Beane giving out that kind of contract.

The whole reason they cut Jordan Poyer was to get younger and cheaper.  He's only 2 years younger and would definitely be more expensive.

I'm starting to get the same vibes about the Free Safety position as the Bills gave last year about Middle Linebacker.

We passed on everyone in Free Agency.  Waited until the 3rd Round of the Draft.  Everyone was in total panic mode going into the season.

Then Terrell Bernard played like a superstar and Tyrell Dodson was a solid backup.

Don't forget.  This regime found Poyer and Micah Hyde in the bargain bin.  Both were backups on their previous teams.

I think it's fair to question how well this team knows some positions (O-Line, D-Line, Wide Receiver), because they don't necessarily have the best track record of finding untapped talent and developing it.  But it's the complete opposite in the secondary.  This team has a fantastic track record at both cornerback and safety.  

I also think people are totally sleeping on Damar Hamlin.  He did a great job filling in for Hyde during the 2022 season. 

There was a lot that went into him being inactive most weeks.  He was less than 12 months from a horrific physical trauma that devastated his body.  Thanks to Taylor Rapp, the Bills really didn't need him.  With another offseason to rehab and train, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets back to his previous form.

24 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Simmons is one of the best safeties in the NFL.  Everyone would love him, but I just can't see Beane giving out that kind of contract.

The whole reason they cut Jordan Poyer was to get younger and cheaper.  He's only 2 years younger and would definitely be more expensive.

I'm starting to get the same vibes about the Free Safety position as the Bills gave last year about Middle Linebacker.

We passed on everyone in Free Agency.  Waited until the 3rd Round of the Draft.  Everyone was in total panic mode going into the season.

Then Terrell Bernard played like a superstar and Tyrell Dodson was a solid backup.

Don't forget.  This regime found Poyer and Micah Hyde in the bargain bin.  Both were backups on their previous teams.

I think it's fair to question how well this team knows some positions (O-Line, D-Line, Wide Receiver), because they don't necessarily have the best track record of finding untapped talent and developing it.  But it's the complete opposite in the secondary.  This team has a fantastic track record at both cornerback and safety.  

I also think people are totally sleeping on Damar Hamlin.  He did a great job filling in for Hyde during the 2022 season. 

There was a lot that went into him being inactive most weeks.  He was less than 12 months from a horrific physical trauma that devastated his body.  Thanks to Taylor Rapp, the Bills really didn't need him.  With another offseason to rehab and train, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets back to his previous form.

Hamlin didn’t do a great job. Come on.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I also think people are totally sleeping on Damar Hamlin.

We would all love to eat crow on this one. But even before his injury he wasn't the heir apparent to any starter. Even now with both starting safeties gone, he's backup at best. Last season really popped the balloon of expectations. He was a liability in special teams. I hope that he can move past the "I'm so grateful get to play football phase" and regain the I want to win football desire. 

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I'm not saying I disagree w all of your bottom line, but the whole reason we are moving on from Hyde/ Poyer is not just to get younger. 

It's because these guy's play has drastically declined and they make too much money for the production. 

BTW thought Poyer was a gem find, but Hyde was already a Pro Bowl level player when we got him. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

SS will be this year’s MLB, where the coaches have a guy they love but the fans don’t see it. 

This is what I think too, this organization has developed players that fit the system and they need to continue to tap into that.  Random Joes on the internet board just look at stats, pro bowls and generally name recognition and get more excited the bigger the name.  The key is what a guy can do in the future, not what he did in the past.  And in the NFL that is often guys who are hungry and willing to do whatever the coaches ask.

Edited by Matt_In_NH

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Living in CO, I see all of the Broncos games. Simmons isn't what he was 3 years ago. But he's still really good. Kind of what Poyer was in his Bills' prime. He would be a fantastic addition to this D, and would fit in well with where the Bills are in the competitive cycle (i.e., ready to win now). I can't think of any better FA signing.

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Living in CO, I see all of the Broncos games. Simmons isn't what he was 3 years ago. But he's still really good. Kind of what Poyer was in his Bills' prime. He would be a fantastic addition to this D, and would fit in well with where the Bills are in the competitive cycle (i.e., ready to win now). I can't think of any better FA signing.

1 year at $5m would be a fit for us … not sure he would agree 

Edited by Aussie Joe