Could the Bills be looking at Denver?

1 minute ago, HomeTeam said:

But why would they move on from them? 

I don't think they will without a very good offer, but they have a lot of dead cap from cutting Russ. They're entering into a rebuild and they may not be there by the time they draft a new QB so getting picks to drafts guys to go with the new QB might be desirable to them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HomeTeam said:

The answer is obvious: the Russ' contact post cut means they are getting hammered on the cap. Wilson alone will be $35 M this year and $50 M next, simply to not have him on the team anymore. Combined with not having a QB they have a massive millstone around their necks until 2026. A prudent thing to do would be to make cap room and ship off vets with expiring contracts for draft picks.

The problem with the Bills moving on it is that these players, while good, aren't a perfect fit for our needs and cap situation. Jeudy, while a great player, is more of the role that the Bills have for Shakir. Sutton has a $12 M base salary for the next two years that the Bills would be on the hook for.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The answer is obvious: the Russ' contact post cut means they are getting hammered on the cap. Wilson alone will be $35 M this year and $50 M next, simply to not have him on the team anymore. Combined with not having a QB they have a massive millstone around their necks until 2026. A prudent thing to do would be to make cap room and ship off vets with expiring contracts for draft picks.

The problem with the Bills moving on it is that these players, while good, aren't a perfect fit for our needs and cap situation. Jeudy, while a great player, is more of the role that the Bills have for Shakir. Sutton has a $12 M base salary for the next two years that the Bills would be on the hook for.

Im going with nope for $1000.00 Alex.  Draft is our best bet 

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I am sure we could make good use of Jerry Jeudy as a starting WR with Josh Allen.  If a guy can run fast, run good routes and has solid hands, he can play for us regardless of who else we have.

That's like saying we can't have more then one Stefan Diggs.  LOL

I think we get a 1st rounder, and either Boyd or Bourne.  And that'd be just fine.

I'd rather trade up in the 1st round for a better prospect than trade for one of these guys & their larger contracts.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

I suppose it’s possible we are looking to acquire Denver’s 12th overall pick…that’s a little rich, but could get us one of the Big 3 WRs…

Such a trade would likely be contingent on who is available on draft night. That said, I think it likely that the top three guys are gone by that point (Harrison, Odunze, Nabers). If so, is Thomas worth a pick that high? Brock Bowers certainly is, but I don’t think he will be an option for us.

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT

9 minutes ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

Such a trade would likely be contingent on who is available on draft night. That said, I think it likely that the top three guys are gone by that point (Harrison, Odunze, Nabers). If so, is Thomas worth a pick that high? Brock Bowers certainly is, but I don’t think he will be an option for us.

I agree...looks to me like all of the big three will be gone by then.  I had some hope that Odunze would last until then, but I think his combine performance put that to rest.  And yes, it seems a little high to pick Thomas Jr, Worthy, or Mitchell.  Any such trade would have to be a draft day situation, dependent on who's available.

4 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

the chances of the Bills trading for a WR are slim to none. And Slim just left town

Equal chances of the Bills pursuing FA WR's.

Why do you believe that? You don't think they try any FA WR's at all? 

26 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

the chances of the Bills trading for a WR are slim to none. And Slim just left town

Equal chances of the Bills pursuing FA WR's.

Just a friendly reminder Doug, you are no longer the GM!  BTW Watkins and EJ suck!

I think Buffalo needs cost controlled options at wr.  Sutton will be pricey.  Juedy imo is over rated.  Pick up 2 in draft and the room will be in good shape. 

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Why do you believe that? You don't think they try any FA WR's at all? 

NO .  The only FA WRs we would be interested in are #4 or #5 WR, and I don't even think we are looking for those types, maybe a late FA WR to have as a camp body

We need a Diggs future replacement, and we can't even afford to think about that level of FA WR do to cap concerns. 

42 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Just a friendly reminder Doug, you are no longer the GM!  BTW Watkins and EJ suck!

not even sure what your point is here

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Rather get a bargain FA WR who can come in and be WR4 and draft (even if a trade up is required) our guy in the first round.

My ideal combination right now is Noah Brown with Xavier Worthy. 

Curious why on Brown?  He is always hurt or playing through an injury.

He is an exceptional blocker though in the running game.  

it would be a real tough sell to give precious free agent money to an always something guy when it comes to injuries

I am an offense first guy.  However the big 3 money positions are QB, WR, Edge Rusher.   You can't have too many good WRs with favorable contracts. You can't have too many edge rushers with favorable contracts.  Sutton is very good WR.  If there was a way to afford him, and allow us to add a young edge rusher in the first round rather than WR, that would be perfectly fine.  There is a LOT of room on the upside on the edge for the Bills. 

• Agree 1

How much would Sutton cost in a trade in terms of picks? $12mil is fine for a quality veteran X and totally doable, bird in hand, it's a Gabe upgrade for equal or lesser $

Then we can go best WR available on day 1 or 2 rather than trying to force an X, and draft a developmental X later

I'm into it if the pick capital isn't too steep

• Agree 1

The Bills aka Brandon Beane are always looking everywhere, all the time. 

5 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Doug Whaley was an awful GM.  Am awful GM would not try to add talent at the WR position through FA. 

Ok we are/were 40 million over the salary cap, we need more cost controlled players on entry level deals, not FAs which will cost much more. We do not need anymore void year deals either.

We have no real need for #3 #4 or #5 WRs on this team. We need a player capable of being a #1b to Diggs #1a and that player in FA will cost closer to $20 million.

So now since you so gleefully assumed I am Doug Whaley, you explain how we can do that and fix our cap situation, fill all our holes, without adding more trouble in 2025 - 2026 and have a bonafide replacement when Diggs is no longer with us.

No we are not looking at FA for much of anything this year. Its a reset year and there will be some pain.

32 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

No love for Courtland Sutton?  He's a beast and would fit great in this offense.

He's 29 with two years left on his contract with a $17+ million cap hit this year. You hate to extend him and have another 30+year old receiver.  We have to see how the heck we're going to get under the cap as it is. I say draft a WR and follow the KC path on defense.

2 hours ago, HomeTeam said:

Too much to invest in receivers when you have no QB.

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

He's 29 with two years left on his contract with a $17+ million cap hit this year. You hate to extend him and have another 30+year old receiver.  We have to see how the heck we're going to get under the cap as it is. I say draft a WR and follow the KC path on defense.

I agree.  This does not work for the Bills.  The correct path is to get younger and cheaper at WR in the out years of the Diggs contract.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Curious why on Brown?  He is always hurt or playing through an injury.

He is an exceptional blocker though in the running game.  

it would be a real tough sell to give precious free agent money to an always something guy when it comes to injuries

Seems to fill that bigger WR role lacking otherwise in that room. To me he would replace Davis but project as sharing WR3/4 with Shakir. 

I will say I am not familiar with his injury history. Maybe that makes him cheap? I recall him being pretty productive last year, but do see he missed their Wild Card game, so yeah I would want medicals to check out.

Also like Reynolds from DET in FA.

7 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Ok we are/were 40 million over the salary cap, we need more cost controlled players on entry level deals, not FAs which will cost much more. We do not need anymore void year deals either.

We have no real need for #3 #4 or #5 WRs on this team. We need a player capable of being a #1b to Diggs #1a and that player in FA will cost closer to $20 million.

So now since you so gleefully assumed I am Doug Whaley, you explain how we can do that and fix our cap situation, fill all our holes, without adding more trouble in 2025 - 2026 and have a bonafide replacement when Diggs is no longer with us.

No we are not looking at FA for much of anything this year. Its a reset year and there will be some pain.

You can start by watching one the 1,000,000 cap assessment videos members have posted.  There are plenty of things Beane can do to create cap space by restructures / extensions, etc.  he can also by back load FA contracts and add void years until some of these bad contracts come off the books.  Your assessment of not adding FAs and next year being a reset year is baseless and talking in the definitive voice, like your in the know, makes you sound ignorant.  

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I am sure we could make good use of Jerry Jeudy as a starting WR with Josh Allen.  If a guy can run fast, run good routes and has solid hands, he can play for us regardless of who else we have.

That's like saying we can't have more then one Stefan Diggs.  LOL

Who loses playing time if they bring Jerry in and draft a speedster? I want Shakir out there and jeudy won't be cheap.

Edited by foreboding
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Who loses playing time if they bring Jerry in and draft a speedster? I want Shakir out there and jeudy won't be cheap.

Diggs wasn't playing 90-100% of snaps this past year.  There is plenty of footballs for everyone.  And I like Shakir also.  But nothing wrong with having at least 4 good WR's.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

With all these picks makes you think…

I want the bills go hard at WR in the draft BUT the one guy I'd be ecstatic to get is Sutton. That dude is about to explode into a bonafide stud WR. He's basically there but had Wilson as his QB. Sign me up if it only costs a 3rd rounder or so

3 hours ago, HomeTeam said:

Absurdly large dead cap charge is going to make it difficult to field a competitive roster this year and next.  Jeudy is a free agent next year, sutton (who is just another gabe davis) after next year.  

2 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I want the bills go hard at WR in the draft BUT the one guy I'd be ecstatic to get is Sutton. That dude is about to explode into a bonafide stud WR. He's basically there but had Wilson as his QB. Sign me up if it only costs a 3rd rounder or so

I watch him and just see Gabe davis.  2yr 26.5M, i wouldn't give up anything close to a 3rd rounder.  Probably something closer to a 7th considering the cap gymnastics needed to fit that under.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I watch him and just see Gabe davis.  2yr 26.5M, i wouldn't give up anything close to a 3rd rounder.  Probably something closer to a 7th considering the cap gymnastics needed to fit that under.  

That's not even a little true. Sutton can run more than just the go route, he gets good separation for a big dude and MOST importantly he's clutch. Dude is a difference maker.