When healthy: we were the best team in the league.

Success

5 hours ago, Success said:

The Jets game was just weird.  The season opener, Rodgers getting hurt early, Allen kind of falling apart.  But after that, we tore through September.  Allen was firing on all cylinders, and the defense was as good as I've seen in the McDermott era.  It was smothering, aggressive, flying to the ball.  Man, was that D good.

Our D when we faced KC at the end was a shell of that D.

Every team has to deal with injuries.  No doubt.  But seriously, who dealt w/ more, and which team was clearly impacted by losses? We lost Hines & Damien Harris before things really started.  Then, in one fell swoop, we lost Milano, Tre & Jones.  Arguably the top 3 guys on our defense.  Then we lose Benford, Rapp, Spector and Bernard, the latter of whom had picked up the slack in ways that were completely unexpected. So excited to see him AND Milano on the field this coming season.

It wasn't just that we had to navigate the playoffs without quite a few of our best players. Even some of the guys playing, like Rasul Douglas, were clearly playing hurt and less effective.

People always say the same thing:  "excuses, excuses."  To which I respond:  "reality."  If KC had the extent of injuries we had, and we were as healthy as they were, I have no issue saying that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell they would beat us.  

Last I heard, there is no Lombardi Trophy awarded to “Best Team When Everyone’s Healthy.”  All NFL teams have injuries.  And BTW, our offense was almost 100 percent healthy all season. I can’t think of an important starter who missed a game. Unheard of…

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Last I heard, there is no Lombardi Trophy awarded to “Best Team When Everyone’s Healthy.”  All NFL teams have injuries.  And BTW, our offense was almost 100 percent healthy all season. I can’t think of an important starter who missed a game. Unheard of…

Did I say that they should be awarded a Lombardi?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billl said:

@SuccessThat’s a pretty big qualifier given that Allen, Milano, Diggs, Dawkins, Tre, etc. were added more than 3 seasons ago.  This is a declining roster, and it’s no longer at a championship level.  Losing a close game in the Divisional round doesn’t change that.  The team was closer to missing the postseason than winning a Super Bowl.

Oh boy, you just won the SB and now you're coming to this board and saying this isn't a championship-caliber roster when we were about 20 yards away from beating you.

It is a championship-caliber roster.  There is obviously going to be some retooling, which every team does every year, but the core is still in place to win a SB next year.  QB, the entire starting offensive line, starting RB, 2 starting receivers, both starting TE's are all under contract next year.  We need a couple WRs (FA and/or draft).  On defense, we need safety and Dline.  Four LBers and 4 CBs are under contract next year, as well as Oliver and Rousseau on the D line.  Jones will prob be resigned.  We'll be right there next year, trust me.

I am in agreeance that our health was the key factor in us not beating KC in the Playoffs this year. Here's what we were looking at:

- Matt Milano gone for the year

- Von Miller didn't return REMOTELY to form

- Micah Hyde didn't return REMOTELY to form

- Tre White done for the year

- Christian Benford Out

- Gabe Davis Out

- Terrel Bernard Out

- Tre's replacement Rasul Douglas playing at MAYBE 50%

- Jordan Phillips done for the year

- Daquan Jones not at 100% from IR

- Taylor Rapp Out

- Baylon Spector Out

On top of these things, we were starting a MLB who was on the couch 3 weeks before, who then rolled his ankle badly during the game and Tyrell Dodson, who entered the game hurt, also went down again to start the game. We had ZERO true Outside WR's opposite Diggs - being forced to put slot guys like Shakir, Sherfield, and Harty on the outside.

Amongst all of these things, we still only lost the game against the Super Bowl Champs by 3 points. 

It's ridiculous to simply boil down all of those things too "injuries happen - find a way". Yes, injuries happen. But that many injuries at key spots is downright impossible to overcome against the best of the best in the NFL.

I often say that the difference between winning and losing in the :13 seconds game was not having a healthy Tre White. Competition in the Playoffs is so razor thin amongst the top teams that 1 major player on your team being out can be the difference between winning and losing. And we had MANY key players out.

Looking over the myriad of health problems we had, I honestly find it a miracle we were able to do what we did. When we made the Playoffs, and especially after injuries sustained against Miami and Pittsburgh, I thought "this is nice, but this isn't a unit healthy enough to hoist a Lombardi".

I honestly feel if we had Milano, Bernard, Benford, Davis (say what you will, but he at the very least took some attention away from Diggs and provided key blocks down field), and either White or Douglas at 100% - we would have won that game and may very well have hoisted a Lombardi. Hell, even if we had only some of that and not all of it - we could have overcome.

Here's hoping next season we have better luck with health. Combine that with some key adjustments and I think we have a much better chance than we had this season.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Losing Bernard was like losing Josh Allen, he was the Josh of the defense (Also down Milano for that long as well). I'm still a bit upset he had a chance to play it seemed since he was questionable but sat him instead for next week. Totally unexpected for them to be 20 yards from victory, which was amazing in itself

Edited by JoshAllin
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Our mate from Kansas City that posts here did make a good point the other day…

Outside the QB … is there another superstar on this Bills team ?

KC has a couple …including Chris Jones who I think is the most valuable defensive player in the game at present …

They got 2 great CBs ( better than anything we got) … superior interior OL ( that handled Oliver with ease… ) and Kelce on the decline but still a big game winner …

Bills have got a lot of “above average “ players … but not too many game winners outside JA..

Pre injuries 

Milano 

White

Bernard emerged at LB like McDuffie at CB for them 

Oliver 

Poyer and Hyde better then Chiefs Safeties 

Torrence is our potential version at Guard like their 2 guys Thuney and Smith

Kincaid emerged 

Shakir emerging 

Dawkins is a stud 

McD to defense is close to Reid to offense.  In the Bengals and Chiefs losses his defenses were hurt.  Like to see Reid without Creed Humphrey and Kelce on the field.  

And Allen is better than Mahomes - I wonder what Allen would have done vs our D that day and if Mahomes went against his.  

And until Greenlaw got hurt and the 49ers fumbled punts the Chiefs were not winning that game.   

Give me Allen.  Get me to 2024. 

Edited by Big Blitz

3 hours ago, Success said:

That's an interesting way to look at it.

I'm aware of the "ifs" that go against the Bills.  But the underlying, main point is that the Bills are rightthere w/ the Chiefs.  The games come down to a play or 2.

Would you agree?  Or are you of the mindset that the Bills are somehow light years behind the champs?  Please expound.

the playoff game against the Chiefs wasn’t as close as the score suggests .   The Chiefs were gaining something like 8 or 9 yards per play ….  while we were gaining 4 ish? Cowher made a pretty good comment about how the game wasn’t really close and that the Bills were just hanging on .  

3 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

the playoff game against the Chiefs wasn’t as close as the score suggests .   The Chiefs were gaining something like 8 or 9 yards per play ….  while we were gaining 4 ish? Cowher made a pretty good comment about how the game wasn’t really close and that the Bills were just hanging on .  

We were up the whole game basically until the Chiefs took the lead and we fake punted in the 4th quarter.  Then the Chiefs were up 3 but fumbled out of the end zone.  We then proceeded to take the lead again after that.  

And yea, considering our LBs and CBs that day we always were just hanging on.  

21 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

In some ways, it felt that way - especially after the fake punt.  But we absolutely dominated TOP.

It was a close game. Both teams had breaks & mistakes.

2024, semi-retired, 32-year old, practice squad version of AJ KLEIN was the primary, man-to-man coverage plan for stopping Travis Kelce on far too many snaps. Reeaally disconcerting design, despite the crippling injuries. NO LB should be tasked with covering Kelce m2m without a serious pressure package. 

Feels more like a gameplan problem than a depth chart issue.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

And Allen is better than Mahomes - I wonder what Allen would have done vs our D that day and if Mahomes went against his.  

Can we stop doing this? Pretty please?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We are at a point that was expected though.  Due to age and injuries it's time for "pruning" of this roster.   I felt it should have happened this year,but they decided to " run it back" ( I hate that term) and it failed.  But that happens.  I hope Beane learned his lesson,and cuts bait this year with every contract that needs to be, and really hits on the draft. 

I figure this is a retool year where we go 9-8 or 10-7 with a wild card spot hopefully, and come roaring back in 2025.

Yup, we got some big contracts with underperforming players that need to be extinguished. Start chipping away. Von...the gift that keeps on "not giving".....

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Brand J said:

I don't mind it.  It's not some crazy idea.

Football is a team game.  Mahomes has had much better coaching to this point, and better all-around teams.  Obviously, most think Mahomes is better at this point, and even the GOAT.

It reminds me of Brady/Manning.  After Brady won a few SB's, some considered the debate over.  But how could you compare a guy w/ the GOAT coach to a guy who played for 5 different coaches?  Coaching is so important to winning that final game.

In the end, of course, Brady proved himself the better QB.  And Mahomes might still do that also.  But I'll be actively watching the next decade or so to see how it all plays out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Brand J said:

No.  Mahomes is great.  But he’s always always had the better situation.  

Until this year when the Bills fired their OC, lost key guys to injury all year long, and then (the most underrated part of the loss) the Chiefs had 7 days to prepare we had 5 due to weather.   

These aren’t excuses.  These are my explanations why I’m not conceding anything.  

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, Success said:

I don't mind it.  It's not some crazy idea.

Football is a team game.  Mahomes has had much better coaching to this point, and better all-around teams.  Obviously, most think Mahomes is better at this point, and even the GOAT.

It reminds me of Brady/Manning.  After Brady won a few SB's, some considered the debate over.  But how could you compare a guy w/ the GOAT coach to a guy who played for 5 different coaches?  Coaching is so important to winning that final game.

In the end, of course, Brady proved himself the better QB.  And Mahomes might still do that also.  But I'll be actively watching the next decade or so to see how it all plays out.

Football is the ultimate team sport, no doubt, but players are still recognized on an individual level and accolades awarded. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding both players, this is Patrick Mahomes trophy case:

3× Super Bowl champion (LIV, LVII, LVIII)

3× Super Bowl MVP (LIV, LVII, LVIII)

2× NFL Most Valuable Player (2018, 2022)

NFL Offensive Player of the Year (2018)

2× First-team All-Pro (2018, 2022)

Second-team All-Pro (2020)

6× Pro Bowl (2018–2023)

2× NFL passing touchdowns leader (2018, 2022)

NFL passing yards leader (2022)

Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year (2020)

And this is Allen’s:

Second-team All-Pro (2020)

2× Pro Bowl (2020, 2022)

Objectively speaking, our guy is not better than theirs. If you want to say he’s at least on par, I still wouldn’t agree, but at least an argument could sort of be made. It just gets tiring reading over and over how “Allen is better than Mahomes” yet has none of the accolades, awards, or trappings of success to prove it. 

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Yes please! It feels like cosmic karma is against Allen and the Bills whenever this gets spewed into the universe. With every passing year of another Mahomes’ Superbowl MVPs and Allen’s early playoff exits this notion gets more and more delusional. Even among the fanbase. 

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

KC has a couple …including Chris Jones who I think is the most valuable defensive player in the game at present …

They got 2 great CBs ( better than anything we got) … superior interior OL ( that handled Oliver with ease… ) and Kelce on the decline but still a big game winner …

Bills have got a lot of “above average “ players … but not too many game winners outside JA..

I mean there's Milano when healthy. Terrell Bernard. Ed Oliver played at an elite level this season. Rasul Douglas. Those are more than just above average guys

21 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I mean there's Milano when healthy. Terrell Bernard. Ed Oliver played at an elite level this season. Rasul Douglas. Those are more than just above average guys

I’ll give you Milano  whom I overlooked given his absence … let’s hope he makes a full recovery by Week 1 next season and is backto his best…superstars show up in the playoffs so Oliver is out, although he had his best year so maybe he is still ascending  …  Bernard might get there one day soon … Douglas is a fine player but not elite 

Edited by Aussie Joe

12 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yep. 2nd half of the season Diggs was not Diggs so I think that is right. And I have long argued our issue has been lots of good, not enough great.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Put Diggs down as a “used to be “

I like Taron … he is an above average ..but give me the other 2 from KC

Diggs gets another year from me before I start to truly say he isn’t a superstar.  The dolphins game is too fresh from early in the year.

Regarding taking chiefs talent over Buffalo, that wasn’t your point in the post.  The bills having superstars and the bills not worse superstars than the chiefs are two different things.

i also believe that a healthy White/Milano gives the bills two pro bowl or all pro talents added to their defense that they severely missed.

if the chiefs didn’t have sneed or jones, they don’t win the Super Bowl 

12 hours ago, Success said:

The Jets game was just weird.  The season opener, Rodgers getting hurt early, Allen kind of falling apart.  But after that, we tore through September.  Allen was firing on all cylinders, and the defense was as good as I've seen in the McDermott era.  It was smothering, aggressive, flying to the ball.  Man, was that D good.

Every team has to deal with injuries.  No doubt.  But seriously, who dealt w/ more, and which team was clearly impacted by losses? We lost Hines & Damien Harris before things really started.  Then, in one fell swoop, we lost Milano, Tre & Jones.  Arguably the top 3 guys on our defense.  Then we lose Benford, Rapp, Spector and Bernard, the latter of whom had picked up the slack in ways that were completely unexpected. So excited to see him AND Milano on the field this coming season.

It wasn't just that we had to navigate the playoffs without quite a few of our best players. Even some of the guys playing, like Rasul Douglas, were clearly playing hurt and less effective.

People always say the same thing:  "excuses, excuses."  To which I respond:  "reality."  If KC had the extent of injuries we had, and we were as healthy as they were, I have no issue saying that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell they would beat us.  

Relative roster health between two teams is less important for a regular season game matters less bc it can even out over 18 weeks of the regular season.  Some games your team is banged up, the other team is healthy and you lose.   Then the situaion is reversed at another week.   But in a single elimination tournament, that one game where your team has a half dozen key players out and the other team is healthy, you go home and they are called a dynasty.   Its all garbage, i wish the 18 week regular season counted for a lot more as it is a better indication of who has the "dynasty".   Chiefs haven't won any more games than the Bills have in the past 5 years... so which team is the "dynasty"?   

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

i wish the 18 week regular season counted for a lot more as it is a better indication of who has the "dynasty".   Chiefs haven't won any more games than the Bills have in the past 5 years... so which team is the "dynasty"?   

I don't wish it did because it is the joy of the NFL in a sense. Compare it to soccer and the Premier League over here and everyone plays everyone else, home and away, over 38 games. When it comes to the end you can be pretty confident the best team won. That isn't the way the NFL works. The best team doesn't always win the Superbowl. Single game elimination, tournament style sport does not always produce the best winner because the sample size allows luck, injury breaks, one amazing play, flukes (helmet catch) to have much more of a definitive impact. 

The flip side of all that is it makes it much harder to repeat. Which is why it hadn't been done in 20 years and why nobody should diminish the Chiefs achievement in doing so, especially as IMO they HAVE beaten the two best NFC teams over that period in the Superbowl.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

I remember when I used to play a close friend of mine in basketball. It was always fairly close. Depending on the score you might even say we were just about even. But he rarely won. Somehow I always seemed to win. Always. So you could argue it was close, but it really wasn't. Those couple of points might as well been five times as many for as hard as it was for him to overcome.

If this thread is your version of logical I'm thrilled you don't think I am.  

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

13 hours ago, Success said:

He also said that Beane hasn't built a Super Bowl-caliber roster yet.  Which I disagreed with, as his team - which is clearly SB caliber, as they won it - barely squeaked by a very beat-up Bills team in the playoffs.  I mean, if Diggs makes that catch, it's a very different game.  If Chris Jones gets there a half second later, it's a different game.  We were right there w/ KC - so how were we not SB caliber?

And I'd disagree a bit on superstars.  Diggs is a superstar.  I don't think he was healthy down the stretch.  Kincaid is a superstar in the making.  We have one of the better pass rushes in the league.  Our O-line is as good as it has been in the JA era.  Cook is easily a top 5 RB.

EDIT:  I completely forgot to add how much I enjoy KC fans coming here and Chiefsplaining to us why our team isn't good enough.

Cook is nowhere near top 5 RB in NFL . His breaking tackle abilities are horrific and his yds after contact also not very good. He's a product of those light boxes and Josh Allen commanding so much attention. If there was a true 3 down back next to Josh in the bk field he would easily have 2000 combined yds on 20 touches per week. 

1 hour ago, Cray51 said:

Diggs gets another year from me before I start to truly say he isn’t a superstar.  The dolphins game is too fresh from early in the year.

Regarding taking chiefs talent over Buffalo, that wasn’t your point in the post.  The bills having superstars and the bills not worse superstars than the chiefs are two different things.

i also believe that a healthy White/Milano gives the bills two pro bowl or all pro talents added to their defense that they severely missed.

if the chiefs didn’t have sneed or jones, they don’t win the Super Bowl 

But they did have them and they won. People here need to live in reality.

If we won some of these games like vs the Pats, Jets and Broncos we would've had a bye week in the playoffs the #1 seed in AFC and wouldn't of got more injuries like we did vs Pitt. Giving away easy wins cost us a chance at the Superbowl and since Josh left those games with the lead in final minutes most of the problem is Mcd. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

It's a great point,  I think outside of Mahomes,  Chris Jones is the most valuable player on that team.  When they need a play he usually gets it for them and did in the game against the Bills and in OT against the 49ers.  Bills do not have that kind of player o. either side of the ball

14 hours ago, Success said:

He also said that Beane hasn't built a Super Bowl-caliber roster yet.  Which I disagreed with, as his team - which is clearly SB caliber, as they won it - barely squeaked by a very beat-up Bills team in the playoffs.  I mean, if Diggs makes that catch, it's a very different game.  If Chris Jones gets there a half second later, it's a different game.  We were right there w/ KC - so how were we not SB caliber?

And I'd disagree a bit on superstars.  Diggs is a superstar.  I don't think he was healthy down the stretch.  Kincaid is a superstar in the making.  We have one of the better pass rushes in the league.  Our O-line is as good as it has been in the JA era.  Cook is easily a top 5 RB.

EDIT:  I completely forgot to add how much I enjoy KC fans coming here and Chiefsplaining to us why our team isn't good enough.

Kincaid is a superstar in the making which I fully agree,  as for Diggs show me one big playoff game were he exploded or took over.  He is good but not an elite star

13 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

WR= NEED. It showed on offense this year and last that the team has no clear speed deep threat to beat that cover 2 shell.

In that Cincy playoff game Diggs had 10 targets, and 4 receptions for 35 yards.  Now the week before against Miami in the 2022 playoffs 9 targets, and 7 receptions for 114 yards. Gabe Davis had 9 targets, and 6 receptions for 113 yards, 1 TD.

This season with Gabe Davis out injured against the Steelers Diggs had 9 targets, and 7 receptions for 52 yards. Against KC, 8 targets, and 3 receptions for 21 yards. wow, that stinks. 

Brandon Beane really has his work cut out for him this offseason being so far above the cap and with so many needs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Without the injuries we would have had a better shot yes. 

But again, we’re still a coin toss to beat the Chiefs every year. 

I want a dynasty that’s a level above these 5-7 contenders every year. That requires more high end talent. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Put Diggs down as a “used to be “

I like Taron … he is an above average ..but give me the other 2 from KC

Taron is hit and miss, at the start of the season he was getting burned more than not. He did finish the season stronger but personally think we need to make him more of a true nickel back and not a 3 down starter maybe moving to a true 43 would suit us better.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Relative roster health between two teams is less important for a regular season game matters less bc it can even out over 18 weeks of the regular season.  Some games your team is banged up, the other team is healthy and you lose.   Then the situaion is reversed at another week.   But in a single elimination tournament, that one game where your team has a half dozen key players out and the other team is healthy, you go home and they are called a dynasty.   Its all garbage, i wish the 18 week regular season counted for a lot more as it is a better indication of who has the "dynasty".   Chiefs haven't won any more games than the Bills have in the past 5 years... so which team is the "dynasty"?   

The Chiefs cause they won when it mattered. 

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

During the regular season you could say the Bills are the better team but once it comes to January the Chiefs are by far the better team . The Chiefs have also won 3 of the past 4 games in February, Buffalo hasn't even played in February this century.

Winning 3 of the past 4 Super Bowls puts them at the verge of, if not earned the title of Dynasty.

2 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

They've been to the Superbowl 4 of last 5 seasons, winning 3 of them. Is that a serious question? 

• Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Success said:

Any team with a franchise level QB that got injured had worse injury luck than the Bills. At least in terms of impact on their team’s ability to win games. Would anyone here trade getting back every injured player we had for losing Allen? I sure wouldn’t.

Just in the AFC, the Jets (Rodgers), Cincy (Burrow) and Browns (Watson, Chubb, top 4 OTs, etc) all had worse luck than the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I will say it again. The Bills had the ball in Chiefs territory late in the Fourth Quarter...at home, with the chance to take the lead and go to the Championship Game. Milano would've been on the bench, along with the rest of the defense. The Bills (and their coaching staff) had one job to do at that critical moment....keep the damn ball, and not give it back to Mahomes. They failed once again! Our injuries had nothing to do with it. You cannot go back and relitigate the entire season. They were right where they wanted to be in the end.

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.