When healthy: we were the best team in the league.

Success

The Jets game was just weird.  The season opener, Rodgers getting hurt early, Allen kind of falling apart.  But after that, we tore through September.  Allen was firing on all cylinders, and the defense was as good as I've seen in the McDermott era.  It was smothering, aggressive, flying to the ball.  Man, was that D good.

Our D when we faced KC at the end was a shell of that D.

Every team has to deal with injuries.  No doubt.  But seriously, who dealt w/ more, and which team was clearly impacted by losses? We lost Hines & Damien Harris before things really started.  Then, in one fell swoop, we lost Milano, Tre & Jones.  Arguably the top 3 guys on our defense.  Then we lose Benford, Rapp, Spector and Bernard, the latter of whom had picked up the slack in ways that were completely unexpected. So excited to see him AND Milano on the field this coming season.

It wasn't just that we had to navigate the playoffs without quite a few of our best players. Even some of the guys playing, like Rasul Douglas, were clearly playing hurt and less effective.

People always say the same thing:  "excuses, excuses."  To which I respond:  "reality."  If KC had the extent of injuries we had, and we were as healthy as they were, I have no issue saying that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell they would beat us.  

• Like (+1) 14
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Agree 18
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I agree. 

My friends that support other teams would think its sour grapes, but we were so beat up on D by the time the KC game rolled around. Having to squeeze out 6 games in row, plus playing on a shorter week... we were gassed.  AJ klein hobbling around in the second half...

They had the 3 seed locked up so treated GW17 like a bye. 

Thems the breaks I suppose. Hope we can ride a bit better luck next year! 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Our mate from Kansas City that posts here did make a good point the other day…

Outside the QB … is there another superstar on this Bills team ?

KC has a couple …including Chris Jones who I think is the most valuable defensive player in the game at present …

They got 2 great CBs ( better than anything we got) … superior interior OL ( that handled Oliver with ease… ) and Kelce on the decline but still a big game winner …

Bills have got a lot of “above average “ players … but not too many game winners outside JA..

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 19
  • Thank you (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

KC has a couple …including Chris Jones who I think is the most valuable defensive player in the game at present …

They got 2 great CBs ( better than anything we got) … superior interior OL ( that handled Oliver with ease… ) and Kelce on the decline but still a big game winner …

Bills have got a lot of “above average “ players … but not too many game winners outside JA..

He also said that Beane hasn't built a Super Bowl-caliber roster yet.  Which I disagreed with, as his team - which is clearly SB caliber, as they won it - barely squeaked by a very beat-up Bills team in the playoffs.  I mean, if Diggs makes that catch, it's a very different game.  If Chris Jones gets there a half second later, it's a different game.  We were right there w/ KC - so how were we not SB caliber?

And I'd disagree a bit on superstars.  Diggs is a superstar.  I don't think he was healthy down the stretch.  Kincaid is a superstar in the making.  We have one of the better pass rushes in the league.  Our O-line is as good as it has been in the JA era.  Cook is easily a top 5 RB.

EDIT:  I completely forgot to add how much I enjoy KC fans coming here and Chiefsplaining to us why our team isn't good enough.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Matt Milano, Jimbo Cook....Kincaid is just a rookie, but he seems like the real deal.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Matt Milano, Jimbo Cook....Kincaid is just a rookie, but he seems like the real deal.

Agree about :Milano …out of sight out of mind unfortunately … the other two aren’t there yet but fingers crossed 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Success said:

The Jets game was just weird.  The season opener, Rodgers getting hurt early, Allen kind of falling apart.  But after that, we tore through September.  Allen was firing on all cylinders, and the defense was as good as I've seen in the McDermott era.  It was smothering, aggressive, flying to the ball.  Man, was that D good.

Our D when we faced KC at the end was a shell of that D.

Every team has to deal with injuries.  No doubt.  But seriously, who dealt w/ more, and which team was clearly impacted by losses? We lost Hines & Damien Harris before things really started.  Then, in one fell swoop, we lost Milano, Tre & Jones.  Arguably the top 3 guys on our defense.  Then we lose Benford, Rapp, Spector and Bernard, the latter of whom had picked up the slack in ways that were completely unexpected. So excited to see him AND Milano on the field this coming season.

It wasn't just that we had to navigate the playoffs without quite a few of our best players. Even some of the guys playing, like Rasul Douglas, were clearly playing hurt and less effective.

People always say the same thing:  "excuses, excuses."  To which I respond:  "reality."  If KC had the extent of injuries we had, and we were as healthy as they were, I have no issue saying that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell they would beat us.  

Last year was an experiment by commissioner to see if he could control who would make it to Superbowl by rigging schedule against team.

Some would call it fixed but NFL used word experiment but never cited what they purpose of the experiment was and what the control was which every experiment needs.

It had as much validity as drawing and quartering commissioner using four Budweiser Clydesdale beer truck horses and using it to determine if beet tastes better before and after.

• Haha (+1) 1

This thread triggered a thought I had the other day. Just a take. I was looking at Allen’s numbers on pro football reference the other day. His yards per attempt have been around 7.4 I want to say the last couple years and comp percentage around 63. Tom Brady said in a Zoom interview with Allen that he needs to take the secondary reads more often. I think maybe at least with the comp percentage there is more meat on the bone and that could keep us out of games like the Jets game. I love Allen I’m just thinking that in the moment philosophy tweak could take him to the next level. And I’m sure Brady (Joe)can put him in good situations to make those secondary reads easier. 

• Like (+1) 1

Milano going down was catastrophic.  He's basically our only true All Pro player on our defense. Tre & DQ going down again paired with Von never stepping up destroyed the season. Even the 6 game winning streak was riddled with close calls against weaker opponents. The only way we can pass Cincy or KC in the playoffs is with a fully healthy defense. If the gang can find a strength & conditioning team to minimize injuries this fall, sky's the limit. Bernard paired with Matt is collasal.  Still have my doubts about our front 4 pressure?  It's critical we get out week 1 on a great start. And draft Josh new weapons.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I know it sounds crazy, but I believe with the original poster saying as well

I really would’ve liked to face the Kansas City Chiefs healthy this year. They just threw the middle of the field all game right where we were playing a player that was about to go on vacation when we picked him up off the waiver wire.

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Milano, and now Kincaid.  Cook is coming on, but Diggs has fallen off.  We need a hand full of studs to help get the team where we want. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills are one of maybe 5-7 teams every year who have a legitimate chance of winning a title.

It’s a great place to be, hopefully injuries, coaching and luck all come together once or twice in Allen’s career and they get it done.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Milano

Taron Johnson

Diggs

they are all pro bowl/all pro talent at their position any given year 

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Kincaid is a rookie and may come a playmaker. On defense outside of maybe Milano they have no game breakers. They have a good group of guys that work well together but they lack those elite CB like KC has. On the D line they have no one as good as Jones. Again they are a good group just not elite. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Milano

Taron Johnson

Diggs

they are all pro bowl/all pro talent at their position any given year 

Put Diggs down as a “used to be “

I like Taron … he is an above average ..but give me the other 2 from KC

2 hours ago, Success said:

He also said that Beane hasn't built a Super Bowl-caliber roster yet.  Which I disagreed with, as his team - which is clearly SB caliber, as they won it - barely squeaked by a very beat-up Bills team in the playoffs.  I mean, if Diggs makes that catch, it's a very different game.  If Chris Jones gets there a half second later, it's a different game.  We were right there w/ KC - so how were we not SB caliber?

And I'd disagree a bit on superstars.  Diggs is a superstar.  I don't think he was healthy down the stretch.  Kincaid is a superstar in the making.  We have one of the better pass rushes in the league.  Our O-line is as good as it has been in the JA era.  Cook is easily a top 5 RB.

EDIT:  I completely forgot to add how much I enjoy KC fans coming here and Chiefsplaining to us why our team isn't good enough.

If Josh's fumble is recovered by Kansas City he doesn't even get the throw to Shakir. If Kansas City doesn't fumble in our end zone that drive doesn't matter. If Toney isn't Offside we don't make the playoffs. It's funny how these what if's only seem to work in our favor. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

If Josh's fumble is recovered by Kansas City he doesn't even get the throw to Shakir. If Kansas City doesn't fumble in our end zone that drive doesn't matter. If Toney isn't Offside we don't make the playoffs. It's funny how these what if's only seem to work in our favor. 

That's an interesting way to look at it.

I'm aware of the "ifs" that go against the Bills.  But the underlying, main point is that the Bills are rightthere w/ the Chiefs.  The games come down to a play or 2.

Would you agree?  Or are you of the mindset that the Bills are somehow light years behind the champs?  Please expound.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

That's an interesting way to look at it.

I'm aware of the "ifs" that go against the Bills.  But the underlying, main point is that the Bills are rightthere w/ the Chiefs.  The games come down to a play or 2.

Would you agree?  Or are you of the mindset that the Bills are somehow light years behind the champs?  Please expound.

No team is light years ahead of anybody but I think you're underestimating how far ahead the Chiefs are. They have never failed to reach an AFC championship game since 2018. Patriots also won by small margins. That didn't mean anybody was close. We might as well be on another planet until we beat them in the playoffs. Same goes for the Bengals. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.