When healthy: we were the best team in the league.

Success

6 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I’ll give you Milano  whom I overlooked given his absence … let’s hope he makes a full recovery by Week 1 next season and is backto his best…superstars show up in the playoffs so Oliver is out, although he had his best year so maybe he is still ascending  …  Bernard might get there one day soon … Douglas is a fine player but not elite 

I saw no difference between Douglas this season and early career Tre White. Douglas had like 5 INTs after the trade to us. He is pretty close to elite. But every team only has 2 maybe 3 true elite players. The Chiefs just have a top 3 all time HC coaching them

1 hour ago, nucci said:

But they did have them and they won. People here need to live in reality.

Me putting a perspective thought isn't me not accepting reality.  I've said on this forum before that winning the super bowl is a combination of being talented and being healthy at the right now.  The Chiefs were both, and they won.

I think if the Bills have Milano and Tre White healthy and playing at the level they were at, their chance of winning goes up.  Is that an outlandish thought?  Just like if I said Sneed and Jones being out would hurt the Chiefs ability to win the Super Bowl.  Is that really not living in reality?  It's just a perspective based on ifs.

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I will say it again. The Bills had the ball in Chiefs territory late in the Fourth Quarter...at home, with the chance to take the lead and go to the Championship Game. Milano would've been on the bench, along with the rest of the defense. The Bills (and their coaching staff) had one job to do at that critical moment....keep the damn ball, and not give it back to Mahomes. They failed once again! Our injuries had nothing to do with it. You cannot go back and relitigate the entire season. They were right where they wanted to be in the end.

The Bills being in that position and the impact a healthy defense has on that game are two separate things.  I'm sure the Bills take the position they were in 10 times out of 10.  However, We will never know what position they would have been in if they had a healthy Milano and White.  Do we believe Kelce does as much as he did in the first half if Milano is covering him?  We had AJ Klein covering him and it was a problem from the start.

7 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Me putting a perspective thought isn't me not accepting reality.  I've said on this forum before that winning the super bowl is a combination of being talented and being healthy at the right now.  The Chiefs were both, and they won.

I think if the Bills have Milano and Tre White healthy and playing at the level they were at, their chance of winning goes up.  Is that an outlandish thought?  Just like if I said Sneed and Jones being out would hurt the Chiefs ability to win the Super Bowl.  Is that really not living in reality?  It's just a perspective based on ifs.

That's fair. I just don't like using ifs too much. It can make you crazy. If Norwood made the FG Bills are Superbowl champs.

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

That's fair. I just don't like using ifs too much. It can make you crazy. If Norwood made the FG Bills are Superbowl champs.

I totally agree - I think it's one thing to say "If X/Y/Z happened we would be this, therefore we ARE this" and "X/Y/Z probably would have impacted the result we had."

I think injuries are better ifs to discuss than lack of execution.  I find lack of execution ifs much more annoying than "it sucks we didnt have these guys playing"

• Like (+1) 1

No matter how much you polish that turd, a turd is a turd.

There's no question we need higher caliber players on the roster. Besides, JA, there really is no one to carry the team.

* Diggs is getting older and may have lost a step and i think it's starting to show.

* I love Cook....loved him in college, but find the hole and hit it, man. Stop juking and jiving behind the line (like a poor man's Reggie Bush) and for christs sakes, don't be afraid to take a hit. Don't even get me started on his hands and dropped balls......ugh.

* Kincaid is going to be a stud. He would be about the only one right now that i would put somewhere even close to the caliber of JA, but he's a few years out from his full potential.

* Knox?....sometimes has flashes of brilliance, but overall, underwhelming.

* Davis is too inconsistent.....move along, nothing to see here.

* The entire O line is hit or miss from week to week, but when they do show up, my god the opportunities they create are astounding, however, it's few and far between.

We need playmakers on O and it's not even debatable.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

But that's a completely different "IF" or hypothetical conversation.  That 1990 Bills team is the perfect example of where you can say they were the best team in the league that year and deserved to win the Super Bowl.  If those Bills and Giants teams played each other 10 times the Bills are probably beating them 7 or 8 times out of the 10.  But I just can't do that for a team that has failed to make it out of the Divisional Round 3 straight years and hasn't advanced further than the AFC Championship game during this era.  49ers, Lions, and Ravens fans can all make the same claim they were the best team in the league this past year(not saying they would be right either)  but they didn't catch the breaks to win the Super Bowl.  

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Any team with a franchise level QB that got injured had worse injury luck than the Bills. At least in terms of impact on their team’s ability to win games. Would anyone here trade getting back every injured player we had for losing Allen? I sure wouldn’t.

Just in the AFC, the Jets (Rodgers), Cincy (Burrow) and Browns (Watson, Chubb, top 4 OTs, etc) all had worse luck than the Bills. 

I would say the Jags (Lawrence) were also very unlucky. They were basically a lock for a playoff spot and fell off a cliff after the golden boy got a high ankle sprain.

Looking at the NFC, Minny (Cousins) was super unlucky. I think he might have been MVP if he had stayed healthy. He was leading in all major passing categories when he went down.

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL has always been a game of attrition.  Just here to say this is nothing but excuses, reality?  Sure it's reality the Bills have 7 guys on IR this year and some bad luck in the Steelers game that left the Bills shy at LB but overcoming that is not monumental.  If Allen and Diggs went down you would have a much better argument.  Injuries are partly luck, partly player selection, partly training staff.  The perception the Bills were super unlucky with injuries I don't think is justified.   The Chiefs ended the year with 9 guys on IR and from scanning the list the Bills were one of the lowest IR teams.  Now guys on IR is just a list, it does not address the impact of the specific players.  In the past I have seen data from starts lost and whatnot, I dont know where to find that but I bet it shows the Bills were not unlucky.  In the NFL every team deals with it, life is not fair so injury impact is not equal but guys are playing injured by the end of the season.  The Chiefs lost Thuney for the SB, his loss was noticeable yet they found a way rather than make an excuse.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The NFL has always been a game of attrition.  Just here to say this is nothing but excuses, reality?  Sure it's reality the Bills have 7 guys on IR this year and some bad luck in the Steelers game that left the Bills shy at LB but overcoming that is not monumental.  If Allen and Diggs went down you would have a much better argument.  Injuries are partly luck, partly player selection, partly training staff.  The perception the Bills were super unlucky with injuries I don't think is justified.   The Chiefs ended the year with 9 guys on IR and from scanning the list the Bills were one of the lowest IR teams.  Now guys on IR is just a list, it does not address the impact of the specific players.  In the past I have seen data from starts lost and whatnot, I dont know where to find that but I bet it shows the Bills were not unlucky.  In the NFL every team deals with it, life is not fair so injury impact is not equal but guys are playing injured by the end of the season.  The Chiefs lost Thuney for the SB, his loss was noticeable yet they found a way rather than make an excuse.

That's all pretty fair.

My take immediately following the KC game was that we just lost one guy too many.  Just give me either Bernard or Milano in that game.  I felt like the situation at LB was simply too weak w/ the top guys out.

I think what drove this thread was all of the hand-wringing about Beane I've been seeing, and to a lesser extent McDermott (with the latter, I think there is legit concern).  If we hadn't been hit quite as hard, there is a chance we'd be singing the praises for both guys today.

But your overall point is solid:  great teams overcome it all.

25 minutes ago, Success said:

My take immediately following the KC game was that we just lost one guy too many

My take is we lost a couple plays that were the difference.  Guys just needed to execute.  Dawkins got walked into Josh on probably a TD to take the lead.  Bass shanked the FG.  Butger hits everything when it matters.

14 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We are at a point that was expected though.  Due to age and injuries it's time for "pruning" of this roster.   I felt it should have happened this year,but they decided to " run it back" ( I hate that term) and it failed.  But that happens.  I hope Beane learned his lesson,and cuts bait this year with every contract that needs to be, and really hits on the draft. 

I figure this is a retool year where we go 9-8 or 10-7 with a wild card spot hopefully, and come roaring back in 2025.

lol 9-8 ? As long as Allen plays without losing games to injury the Bills are the favourites in the east.

September, October Dolphins will show up and then December, January Allen will show up. Jets are a complete question mark and Patriots are an afterthought.

When you have a HOF QB in his prime the division and playoffs are the expectation every season regardless of players coming and going on the roster, that’s what having 17 does for your franchise, get used to it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Here's the 7 guys the Chiefs had on the IR that missed their playoff game against the Bills. 

Bryan Cook 13 starts in 28 NFL games

Prince Tega Wanogho 0 starts in 23 NFL games

Nazeeh Johnson 0 starts in 11 NFL games

Jody Fortson 1 NFL start in 19 NFL games

Gerrit Prince 0 NFL games, was on their practice squad

Jerick McKinnon 18 starts in 116 NFL games, 0 starts in 42 games with the Chiefs

Cam Jones 1 start in 17 NFL games

They may have missed some guys but I wouldn't say they were as significant as the guys we lost. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sweats said:

No matter how much you polish that turd, a turd is a turd.

There's no question we need higher caliber players on the roster. Besides, JA, there really is no one to carry the team.

* Diggs is getting older and may have lost a step and i think it's starting to show.

* I love Cook....loved him in college, but find the hole and hit it, man. Stop juking and jiving behind the line (like a poor man's Reggie Bush) and for christs sakes, don't be afraid to take a hit. Don't even get me started on his hands and dropped balls......ugh.

* Kincaid is going to be a stud. He would be about the only one right now that i would put somewhere even close to the caliber of JA, but he's a few years out from his full potential.

* Knox?....sometimes has flashes of brilliance, but overall, underwhelming.

* Davis is too inconsistent.....move along, nothing to see here.

* The entire O line is hit or miss from week to week, but when they do show up, my god the opportunities they create are astounding, however, it's few and far between.

We need playmakers on O and it's not even debatable.

my one “it’s all Monopoly money” signing is mike evans. I’d love it so much but know it’s unlikely. 

that catch radius, attitude and experience would be big.

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Here's the 7 guys the Chiefs that were on the IR that missed their playoff game against the Bills. 

Jerick McKinnon 18 starts in 116 NFL games, 0 starts in 42 games with the Chiefs

They may have missed some guys but I wouldn't say they were as significant as the guys we lost. 

KC lost Nadi in the WC round. Lost Thunny in the Divisional round. Then lost Omenihu in the Championship round. I think those were significant starters yet they found a way to win it all. It is what it is. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Here's the 7 guys the Chiefs had on the IR that missed their playoff game against the Bills. 

Two more were added before the SB including Thuney.   So lets just agree the Chiefs were on the good side of injury luck this year.  The Bills were not as devastated as some make it sound.  You know going into the season you have to deal with attrition and with key guys.   Some they dealt with , for instance with Tre White they eneded up trading for a guy I think is actually better right now. Tre white has barely seen the field for the last 2.5 years.  Milano was a great loss, carrying Von was a liability but there were deeps at DE.   Bernard really hurt for the KC playoff game but I just think you have to be able to overcome losing Bernard for a game even after Milano has been gone for 12 weeks.  If you want to point to injuries then we can write the story of future seasons right now, there will be injures next year, the year after and the year after than until Josh retires.  Last years injuries were something they could have and should have overcome.

Should Cincy have overcome losing Burrow?  Should the Jets have overcome losing Rodgers?  No?  Can we stop pretending injuries were a non-factor?  As posted above, look at KC's injuries compared to ours going into that game.  Can you look me in the eye and say those injuries were equitable?  Of course not!  The argument that "all teams get injuries", suggesting each team's injury situation was equally damaging is ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, The Red King said:

Should Cincy have overcome losing Burrow?  Should the Jets have overcome losing Rodgers?  No?  Can we stop pretending injuries were a non-factor?  As posted above, look at KC's injuries compared to ours going into that game.  Can you look me in the eye and say those injuries were equitable?  Of course not!  The argument that "all teams get injuries", suggesting each team's injury situation was equally damaging is ridiculous.

Thank you.  That's really all I was saying w/ the OP.  Sometimes, you hit a critical mass on the injury front.

Most pundits even talked about that before the KC game, and said they didn't think the Bills could overcome the losses against a relatively healthy Chiefs team. Even Nick Wright alluded to that.  But, of course, after the game it's only "Mahomes bested Allen again."

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Like the other poster mentioned, KC lost 3 more starters in the playoffs, including an all pro guard and their best edge rusher. Also, they were without Mike Edwards vs the Bills. 

And it's disingenuous to judge all those players by starts. McKinnon wasn't the starting RB, but he had 10 TDs in 2022. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, The Red King said:

It depends on who is injured. Outside of losing your franchise qb teams will still find ways to compete and win. That’s the NFL in a nutshell. Some teams have even won Superbowls despite losing their QBs. 

49 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

It depends on who is injured. Outside of losing your franchise qb teams will still find ways to compete and win. That’s the NFL in a nutshell. Some teams have even won Superbowls despite losing their QBs. 

Yes, but the Bills didn't just lose one star, did they?  Again, look at KC's injury report for that game, look at ours, and then look me in the eyes and say it was a wash.

I mean, the Bengals had most of the offensive line out in 2022 and just destroyed us. Baltimore had basically its entire team out last year and nearly upset the Bengals in Cincinnati. Who on this board is actually taking inventory of other teams injury situation and then storing it long term so they can have perspective on any of this? Nobody on this forum has context outside a situation or two. Nobody has any actual value to assign to rankings but an opinion which isn't even educated as it relates to this subject. Meanwhile oddsmakers had us as a 3 point favorite. They said we should actually win the game. Neutral with home field just like it was when we went to KC. How wrong was that line? We had the ball last and didn't score. On comes the yahoo who says it's not oddsmakers job to predict but rather to split money. Sure, but they also aren't missing a line by a lot in a divisional playoff game. 

You got your QB? It's enough to win. We lost and we lost because we weren't as clutch (AGAIN). That is why. We need to be better. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Yes, but the Bills didn't just lose one star, did they?  Again, look at KC's injury report for that game, look at ours, and then look me in the eyes and say it was a wash.

I was responding to the comment about NFL injuries in general. As long as the QB is healthy there’s still a chance to salvage the season.

As for the divisional game…of course it would’ve been better without all the defensive injuries. Not sure how much they could slow down KC though. Their offense always seem to find a way. Bills offense was relatively healthy and they were in position to win at the end. Just couldn’t get it done. 

• Agree 1

The negative responses on this thread are pretty much the same:  calling out injuries is an "excuse."

Does it never hit a point of no return?  Is there not a time when a team has too much to overcome in that part of the game?

It was almost consensus here & elsewhere after the Pitt game:  we were too banged up to make a real run.  We were hoping we could just get past KC to rid ourselves of that demon that we just can't get past them when it counts.  But no one had serious SB aspirations w/ the state of this team.

Now, it's all "sssshhhhhh....don't mention it."

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/18/2024 at 5:29 PM, Success said:

The Jets game was just weird.  The season opener, Rodgers getting hurt early, Allen kind of falling apart.  But after that, we tore through September.  Allen was firing on all cylinders, and the defense was as good as I've seen in the McDermott era.  It was smothering, aggressive, flying to the ball.  Man, was that D good.

Our D when we faced KC at the end was a shell of that D.

Every team has to deal with injuries.  No doubt.  But seriously, who dealt w/ more, and which team was clearly impacted by losses? We lost Hines & Damien Harris before things really started.  Then, in one fell swoop, we lost Milano, Tre & Jones.  Arguably the top 3 guys on our defense.  Then we lose Benford, Rapp, Spector and Bernard, the latter of whom had picked up the slack in ways that were completely unexpected. So excited to see him AND Milano on the field this coming season.

It wasn't just that we had to navigate the playoffs without quite a few of our best players. Even some of the guys playing, like Rasul Douglas, were clearly playing hurt and less effective.

People always say the same thing:  "excuses, excuses."  To which I respond:  "reality."  If KC had the extent of injuries we had, and we were as healthy as they were, I have no issue saying that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell they would beat us.  

You’d have to think that Milano, Bernard, etc would’ve ultimately made the different in a 3 point game against KC. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, 90sBills said:

KC lost Nadi in the WC round. Lost Thunny in the Divisional round. Then lost Omenihu in the Championship round. I think those were significant starters yet they found a way to win it all. It is what it is. 

I'll give Nadi and Thurney were starters. Omenihu was a depth guy similar to AJE for the Bills. Again not near the caliber the Bills lost.

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, SaulGoodman said:

Like the other poster mentioned, KC lost 3 more starters in the playoffs, including an all pro guard and their best edge rusher. Also, they were without Mike Edwards vs the Bills. 

And it's disingenuous to judge all those players by starts. McKinnon wasn't the starting RB, but he had 10 TDs in 2022. 

Best edge rusher? Who? Chris Jones and Karlaftis played. McKinnon is a role player. 10 TDs in 2022 but what about 2023?

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'll give Nadi and Thurney were starters. Omenihu was a depth guy similar to AJE for the Bills. Again not near the caliber the Bills lost.

Omenihu is third in sacks behind Jones and Karlaftis.  That’s despite missing 6 games due to suspension. He was one of their big offseason acquisition. Definitely more than depth. Somehow they had a 1st round pick to replaced him in the Superbowl. Why can’t Bills have that kind of luxury? Smh. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Omenihu is third in sacks behind Jones and Karlaftis.  That’s despite missing 6 games due to suspension. He was one of their big offseason acquisition. Definitely more than depth. Somehow they had a 1st round pick to replaced him in the Superbowl. Why can’t Bills have that kind of luxury? Smh. 

That's like saying that Elam is a luxury for the Bills. KC's first round pick barely played this year and isn't ready to contribute meaningfully. 

• Dislike 1

Just now, SaulGoodman said:

That's like saying that Elam is a luxury for the Bills. KC's first round pick barely played this year and isn't ready to contribute meaningfully. 

He didn’t see the field because Omenihu and Dana were tearing it up. My comment was a compliment to the Chiefs organization for having such quality backups. Why are you so defensive? Your team just won back to back. How would you be able to handle losing if you’re this sensitive when winning? 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

He didn’t see the field because Omenihu and Dana were tearing it up. My comment was a compliment to the Chiefs organization for having such quality backups. Why are you so defensive? Your team just won back to back. How would you be able to handle losing if you’re this sensitive when winning? 

Danna had 6.5 sacks and this was easily his best season. He's not going to keep a really productive player off the field. FAU just wasn't ready for meaningful snaps. Even with Omenihu out, he only saw the field on 9% of snaps. 

I wouldn't say I'm being very sensitive. Just pointing out facts. I'd say this board is a heck of a lot more sensitive to KC fans than I am to any post or poster. 

I just find it comical that KC's roster sucked prior to the game in Buffalo, but suddenly Mahomes is surrounded by all pros at every position. 

Edited by SaulGoodman
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2/18/2024 at 8:28 PM, Mikie2times said:

If Josh's fumble is recovered by Kansas City he doesn't even get the throw to Shakir. If Kansas City doesn't fumble in our end zone that drive doesn't matter. If Toney isn't Offside we don't make the playoffs. It's funny how these what if's only seem to work in our favor. 

we are also the only team with injuries. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SaulGoodman said:

Danna had 6.5 sacks and this was easily his best season. He's not going to keep a really productive player off the field. FAU just wasn't ready for meaningful snaps. Even with Omenihu out, he only saw the field on 9% of snaps. 

I wouldn't say I'm being very sensitive. Just pointing out facts. I'd say this board is a heck of a lot more sensitive to KC fans than I am to any post or poster. 

I just find it comical that KC's roster sucked prior to the game in Buffalo, but suddenly Mahomes is surrounded by all pros at every position. 

I obviously don’t pay as much attention to KC as you do. From the way you make it sound FAU must be a bust. Imagine spending a 1st round draft pick and have him not contribute in any meaningful way. That’s bust. Just ‘pointing out facts’.

Btw…whenever you respond to a comment with an attack it’s being defensive. Just say you misunderstood my comment. It’s all good. 

21 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

I obviously don’t pay as much attention to KC as you do. From the way you make it sound FAU must be a bust. Imagine spending a 1st round draft pick and have him not contribute in any meaningful way. That’s bust. Just ‘pointing out facts’.

Btw…whenever you respond to a comment with an attack it’s being defensive. Just say you misunderstood my comment. It’s all good. 

It wasn't an attack. You're the one being sensitive here. I was just making a point. I'm assuming you don't consider first rounder Elam a luxury, even after two years. And at this point I definitely wouldn't consider FAU a luxury either. 

He might ultimately be a bust...who knows. But I think you know that some players take longer, especially when they aren't thrown into the fire right away. 

Well, it wasn't injuries on the O when we were making a run into the playoffs. It wasn't injuries on the O playing against KC in the post season this year. It wasn't injuries that caused Diggs to drop passes.

The injury excuse is not credible to me......championship teams find a way to win.

Now, injuries on the D is a different matter, however, on the last series against KC, it was our O on the field, not the D.....so what else you got?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I feel Terry needs to (if he hasn't already) address why the hell we fade physically, or have a ton of injuries, late in the season, It's becoming the norm.  He paid to build the best training facility in the NFL, but this keeps happening.

Terry has his hands full with the Sabres. I got to watch the game yesterday against the Ducks as it was televised out here in SoCal. That team is an utter mess…..still! Unbelievable 

On 2/19/2024 at 1:08 AM, Richard Noggin said:

2024, semi-retired, 32-year old, practice squad version of AJ KLEIN was the primary, man-to-man coverage plan for stopping Travis Kelce on far too many snaps. Reeaally disconcerting design, despite the crippling injuries. NO LB should be tasked with covering Kelce m2m without a serious pressure package. 

Feels more like a gameplan problem than a depth chart issue.

elam and williams not being able to get burn in the divisional game so we just agree to lose somewhat more slowly (mainly by holding the ball on o no less) is a coaching/scheme issue.  if you can't alter your recipe to work with the ingredients on hand, then you aren't a chef who can cook for all occasions.

mccoach's addiction to "safe" d players has us tying up a huge chunk of our cap on old slow and injured guys.  if some of the von, tre, milano, poyer, hyde money went to some kind of fast wr who can play or a younger pass rusher we'd maybe have won vs kc and would be in a better stich going into the next season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.