Potential FA Target: Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Yay or Nay

I ran across this on a BR article of "Free Agents the Bills should Avoid" so take this with a grain of salt. 

He's coming off injury, but it was a pectoral muscle tear. He has some injury history, but he's played well when he's healthy. Last year the best he got was a one year deal for a $4 M cap hit for the Lions. In my mind that's the perfect short term pickup as we are phasing Poyer out and grooming a rookie.

What say you all?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I ran across this on a BR article of "Free Agents the Bills should Avoid" so take this with a grain of salt. 

He's coming off injury, but it was a pectoral muscle tear. He has some injury history, but he's played well when he's healthy. Last year the best he got was a one year deal for a $4 M cap hit for the Lions. In my mind that's the perfect short term pickup as we are phasing Poyer out and grooming a rookie.

What say you all?

What’s odds he lasts an entire season while grooming that rookie? 

54 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

What say you all?

We have a strong locker room culture but anyone on their third team in 3 years raises antennae’s, especially when they have been pretty good in the past. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

What say you all?

I wouldn't be excited by it as I have always felt he's overrated. But at the right price (league minimum), sure why not. I actually may prefer Taylor Rapp back before him though as I thought he looked better later in the season. 

• Agree 1

He won’t be as cheap as one can hope and as discussed before in other threads, there is a host of Safeties who are around the same age him and will cost around the same $. He got injured twice last year: leg then pectoral. Whilst it probably won’t be career hindering there’s guys who’ve been just as productive, if not more, and missed less time. 

Jordan Whitehead. 
Xavier McKinney. 
Kyle Dugger. 
Jeremy Chinn. 
Antoine Winfield Jr. 
Darnell Savage. 
Mike Edwards. 

They won’t all available of course but one or two will. 

I’d love Savage but there’s no way they let him walk out of GB. Same with Winfield in TB. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BBFL said:

He won’t be as cheap as one can hope and as discussed before in other threads, there is a host of Safeties who are around the same age him and will cost around the same $. He got injured twice last year: leg then pectoral. Whilst it probably won’t be career hindering there’s guys who’ve been just as productive, if not more, and missed less time. 

Jordan Whitehead. 
Xavier McKinney. 
Kyle Dugger. 
Jeremy Chinn. 
Antoine Winfield Jr. 
Darnell Savage. 
Mike Edwards. 

I’d love Savage but there’s no way they let him walk out of GB. Same with Winfield in TB. 

McKinney is the one "pricey" FA I want us to go after. 

• Agree 1

There are way better options than him IMO. If it came to it, sure, but I'd much prefer most of the other guys. 

46 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Jordan Whitehead. 
Xavier McKinney. 
Kyle Dugger. 
Jeremy Chinn. 
Antoine Winfield Jr. 
Darnell Savage. 
Mike Edwards. 

The stories I have heard he is likely walking. Winfield won't hit the market. He is the best FA safety out there. The second best is Kamren Curl IMO. I'd love him. I'm hoping his reputation not being that big will keep him affordable but I don't know. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

I may be in the minority but I like Gardner-Johnson. He would be cheap because of his injury history but would be a good FS/nickel for us if we got a good deal. His biggest weakness is tackling but McD and company are good at getting our DBs to be more physical and he’s still relatively young. 

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

Jordan Whitehead. 
Xavier McKinney. 
Kyle Dugger. 
Jeremy Chinn. 
Antoine Winfield Jr. 
Darnell Savage. 
Mike Edwards. 

I hadn't seen it, but I appreciate the legwork. That's pretty much exactly what I was hoping for: that if 2-4 of those guys are free on Day 2 and 3, I think a cap friendly solution can be had. I would not hate a 3-4 year deal that puts the payoff around 2026, as that's when we are to work through our dead money and the expected big cap bump from all the streaming contracts and gambling should finally bear fruit.

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

What say you all?

Honestly Bills Fam, We can't really speculate on any FA's until we know the cap situation.  It sucks, but thats where we are at. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I think we can honestly say that the situation is "budget free agents or no free agents"

I would be fine trying to pick up more draft picks and play their butts.  After June 1st then talk to some guys that are lower cost to come in and help.  WR, DL, and then DB's should be the order of the day in April. We need 2 WR, 2-3 DL and 2-3 DB's.  1 WR, 2 DL and 1-2 DB's have to make some sort of impact this year. Look at what KC does, what Detroit did, we need to do that this year badly. 

What gives me hope is Beane knocked it out of the park with bases loaded in the 1st 2 rounds last year. I pray he can do that in the first 4 this year as the Lions did. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Admittedly, not great. But if the plan is to have play above bottom feeder level at a budget I think the Bills can very much do worse.

True enough, we all know Beane is looking at every possibility,  it should at least be entertaining to watch it all unfold, 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

There are way better options than him IMO. If it came to it, sure, but I'd much prefer most of the other guys. 

The stories I have heard he is likely walking. Winfield won't hit the market. He is the best FA safety out there. The second best is Kamren Curl IMO. I'd love him. I'm hoping his reputation not being that big will keep him affordable but I don't know. 

Imagine finding two late round safeties coming out of their first contract this year who only received moderate starting time over the last few seasons, and turning them both into all-pros? 

It's still pretty remarkable what Poyer and Hyde became for the Bills. Let's find two more! :)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I would be fine trying to pick up more draft picks and play their butts.  After June 1st then talk to some guys that are lower cost to come in and help.  WR, DL, and then DB's should be the order of the day in April. We need 2 WR, 2-3 DL and 2-3 DB's.  1 WR, 2 DL and 1-2 DB's have to make some sort of impact this year. Look at what KC does, what Detroit did, we need to do that this year badly. 

What gives me hope is Beane knocked it out of the park with bases loaded in the 1st 2 rounds last year. I pray he can do that in the first 4 this year as the Lions did. 

I like the strategy and agree WR is a must multiple times in this loaded class. I don’t think we need to go crazy with DBs as we can get a couple cheap options if need be in FA. I’d save a couple draft picks for O line (tackle, center options) as those are pricier players after the rookie contracts and Brown is one back injury from sucking again and Dawkins is getting older and chunkier…Morse is old too. All these guys can play but good to not handcuff yourself later on by not having quality guys waiting when contract talks get pricey

• Like (+1) 1

I say nay. I brought him up in another thread but K'Von Wallace is a young (26) Safety who played at his best last year under our new nickel coordinator. He has position flexibility in can play either Safety sports and even contribute as a slot CB. He isn't expect to command more than $2.5 million a season which quite affordable, at the very least he'll be a good depth guy but he could replace Hyde at FS. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I say nay. I brought him up in another thread but K'Von Wallace is a young (26) Safety who played at his best last year under our new nickel coordinator. He has position flexibility in can play either Safety sports and even contribute as a slot CB. He isn't expect to command more than $2.5 million a season which quite affordable, at the very least he'll be a good depth guy but he could replace Hyde at FS. 

At this point, I do not see such a thing as "too many quality budget FA replacements"

While I am always going to give some love to Poyer, and think of him a standard bearer of the turnaround we saw in the early McDermott years, he looked slllloooowwww. I cannot imagine bringing him back in 2025, and that chunk of cap space is looking appealing right now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T master said:

I never trust any one with 2 last names .

He's been trying to legally change his name to Ceedy Duce ... That's not a typo.

He punched a teammate when he was with the Saints ... He had 6 INTs for the Eagles in 2022 and they let him walk after 1 year ... The Lions probably are letting him walk after 1 year. He seems to have issues.

Poyer and Hamlin are under contract, and Rapp and Hyde are both unrestricted free agents, which means we have 2 Safety roster spots to fill which doesn't include Cam Lewis who's also a free agent and an emergency Safety. Beane made it clear we're not going to break the bank in free agency, at best we'll sign one for up to mid-level money with an Annual Average Salary in the $5-8M range which is currently outside of the top 19 highest paid Safety's in the league.

Below is a list of some of the UFA Safety's that I like that projects an Average Annual Salary of up to $8M.

SS Jeremy Chinn: $3M (built like a linebacker and runs like a cornerback, Chinn is a freak, do-everything safety/linebacker/nickel back similar to Rapp)

SS Julian Blackmon: $6M (another do-everything Rover Safety/LB/NB in the mold of Chinn and Rapp. Indy DC Gus Bradley runs a Cover 3 Defense, same as McD)

FS Jordan Fuller: $6M (is a ball-hawking FS. 2023 stats include 68 PFF, 3 FF, 3 INT's, 5 Pass Breakups to go along with the lowest passer rating against of his career. Fuller was one of the better graded tackling and run defense safeties by PFF’s metrics)

FS Geno Stone: $8M (2nd in the NFL with 7 INT's while playing nearly 1,000 snaps. 84.9 PFF coverage grade. A deep FA safety crop might reduce his market.

FS Alohi Gilman: I couldn't find an Average Annual Salary for Gilman but I'm assuming he won't cost much. Gilman is my super sleeper of the free agent Safety group. Versatile player who can play both deep and in the box. 86.1 PFF. 73 Total Tackles 3 FF, 2 INT's, and 10 Pass Breakups. Gilman was PFF’s 7th highest-graded safety and 5th best in coverage. 

53 minutes ago, Trust The Process said:

SS Jeremy Chinn: $3M (built like a linebacker and runs like a cornerback, Chinn is a freak, do-everything safety/linebacker/nickel back similar to Rapp)

FS Jordan Fuller: $6M (is a ball-hawking FS. 2023 stats include 68 PFF, 3 FF, 3 INT's, 5 Pass Breakups to go along with the lowest passer rating against of his career. Fuller was one of the better graded tackling and run defense safeties by PFF’s metrics)

If you told me that the Bills cut Poyer and signed these two at the amounts listed to fill both positions for a cap increase of $3.5 M I would try to cartwheel. And fail, but it's the thought that counts.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

What say you all?

There are a number of  safeties available this year in FA  …last year demonstrated that outside a couple of elite guys at the top of the list, the rest go cheap…They will find a solid contributor in that $3-4 m range …no need to go for someone with an injury concern ..

I like the draft this year as well…. take a swing at a long term guy in rounds 3-4 … don’t think it needs to be higher than that ..

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's a little older than Poyer, but...

image.png.da4abf27064cc8ccf26a1d7569b6c218.png

So you're saying there's a Chance.  

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Just say no to a dude named Chauncey.  Hell kinda name is that?

Named after his father.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's a little older than Poyer, but...

image.png.da4abf27064cc8ccf26a1d7569b6c218.png

Shoot. You beat me to it.

"There will be growth in the Spring"

Brilliant movie with the brilliant Peter Sellers.

6 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Where do you come up with this non-sense? He is 26.  Yeah he has injury issues, but he’s a stud when he’s out there.

I am guessing that you may not be old enough to remember the movie "Being There" with Peter Sellers that came out in 1979. I presume that the poster was referring to the Chauncey Gardner character in that movie. The photo is from that movie.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

He's been trying to legally change his name to Ceedy Duce ... That's not a typo.

He punched a teammate when he was with the Saints ... He had 6 INTs for the Eagles in 2022 and they let him walk after 1 year ... The Lions probably are letting him walk after 1 year. He seems to have issues.

Sounds like something you drop in the toilet after eating a lot of chia seeds.

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BBFL said:

Jordan Whitehead. 
Xavier McKinney. 
Kyle Dugger. 
Jeremy Chinn. 
Antoine Winfield Jr. 
Darnell Savage. 
Mike Edwards. 

I say we look for a Safety in the draft. Hopefully this guy is there in the 3rd or 4th round.

9 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The weakness of the Lions was their back 7. He is a vet but he just isn’t very good. I’d pass unless it was a 1 year like 2 million dollar prove it deal. 

I feel like we will be looking for a lot of players around that $ range this year due to our terrible cap situation (2nd worst in the NFL, and a large number of our FA moving on as well.  Will need to fill more than the just the back end roster on cheap deals this year.  Personally I'm looking for a down year or somewhat of a reset.  Hopefully get back on track in 2025 once Von, Steph, Knox contracts are able to be moved.  Hopefully Beane learned some things on these contracts and restructuring that kicks the can down the road but puts the Bills in a very unfavorable situation in the future.  Knox is still a wtf contract to me from the start

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.