What are your feelings on James Cook RB1

27 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

About as happy as can be with him. Shore up those drops and I think he will he a top 5-10 back. Obviously best paired with a thunder to his lightning, which makes Moss’ departure and subsequent success look pretty bad even if we did get Hines in return who I hope has a bounce back year but is by no means a thunder. Also happy with Ty Johnson who was closer to an effective thunder. Could do much worse than Cook, Johnson, Hines. 

By the way, any chance we see Damien Harris back?

I was hoping Braelon Allen would last till our 3rd rounder, but that is unlikely. Folks will want WR, DT, and S before RB; I would not pass on him at #99.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

About as happy as can be with him. Shore up those drops and I think he will he a top 5-10 back. Obviously best paired with a thunder to his lightning, which makes Moss’ departure and subsequent success look pretty bad even if we did get Hines in return who I hope has a bounce back year but is by no means a thunder. Also happy with Ty Johnson who was closer to an effective thunder. Could do much worse than Cook, Johnson, Hines. 

By the way, any chance we see Damien Harris back?

I really like Damien Harris. He was very good, especially against us when he played in New England. I didnt think he was utilized very well under Dorsey. I think we should bring him back 

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

I watched the games. The stats match my eyes. If Cook was effective, we would have used Cook more.  

Josh Allen steals red zone TD's.

D'Andre Swift also doesn't score a lot of TD's and there's a very clear reason for that.

He has some wiggle, and he can actually run away from DBs if he gets a step. He isn’t dragging anybody for an extra yard though, and I wish he would stop dropping touchdowns. I think the o-line did a much better job run blocking last year, which helped him out a lot.

I wouldn’t spend assets on a RB.

4 hours ago, Beast said:

Cook was 3rd in yards from scrimmage for all running backs. What else needs to be said?

Has terrible hands. Drops passes he should catch. Dropped 2 easy game changing TD’s this year.

Has a bad habit of fumbling.

I mean, we could go on if you really want.

But if he can rectify those things, then ya. Not much else needs to be said.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Given his leaner frame, I had zero expectations for him running north-south but he did this surprisingly well and I saw him drag defenders after getting engaged.

Very happy for a late 2nd round pick. Is he Derick Henry? No, but he's got juice, good vision, more power than expected and is a catching threat (despite some drops; as someone said, he's a running back not a WR and he's got the league's hardest thrower passing him the ball). Get a bruiser late in the draft or in FA and we're good.

All 4 of his dropped td passes were not lasers thrown to him. In fact 2 were touch passes. He drops passes like that because of a lack of focus. This isn't something a jugs machine or ping pong balls are going to fix.

52 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

All 4 of his dropped td passes were not lasers thrown to him. In fact 2 were touch passes. He drops passes like that because of a lack of focus. This isn't something a jugs machine or ping pong balls are going to fix.

Yea it is concentration drops. What is most interesting to me is 3/4 drops were redzone and I genuinely think he has taken his eye off the ball to look for the goalline in each of those situations. In all 3 it looks like his head comes up early. I think that is something coaching can try and drill into him a bit but mainly it is the sort of issue that experience and maturity can help with.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Always afraid he will fumble. Needs better focus at times. Not big enough to carry the entire load himself. Not sure if he likes getting hit. But boy is he quick when he gets the edge and I love how he squirts thru holes.

47 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

Always afraid he will fumble. Needs better focus at times. Not big enough to carry the entire load himself. Not sure if he likes getting hit. But boy is he quick when he gets the edge and I love how he squirts thru holes.

I think he absolutely fine getting hit. He is better at inside than many, many bigger backs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Who is these days? Everyone has a committee of different style RB's. Very few and far between do you see an every down RB anymore.

Just pointing it out.  He had four 3rd-down carries this season, the team doesn't use him as a rusher on 3rd's.  Murray had five times as many 3rd-down carries as Cook with only 20.  

Allen does most of our 3rd-down running.

It is what it is.  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he absolutely fine getting hit. He is better at inside than many, many bigger backs. 

Even if he is himself “fine” with getting hit, his body folds easier than a worn out cardboard box when he’s slightly touched. Great acceleration and lateral quickness and pretty good vision but not the guy you want running up the middle fighting between tackles…at least not right now. Like I said previously, he is our Edwards and we need our corum, if you’ve watched Michigan‘s running game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Even if he is himself “fine” with getting hit, his body folds easier than a worn out cardboard box when he’s slightly touched. Great acceleration and lateral quickness and pretty good vision but not the guy you want running up the middle fighting between tackles…at least not right now. Like I said previously, he is our Edwards and we need our corum, if you’ve watched Michigan‘s running game

I disagree. His yards after contact were the same as Derrick Henry's this year. He is absolutely fine between the tackles. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

I think he has shown he can be a highly effective back 15-20 touches a game and the other backs should get around 8-12 touches.

obviously the concentration drops were killers and he will have to get that cleaned up.   I also think he hit a wall the last 4-5 games.  I think his body wore down as he never had that many touches since he was probably in high school.    

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree. His yards after contact were the same as Derrick Henry's this year. He is absolutely fine between the tackles. 

I’m driving to work right now so I can’t look up stats (I will say who gives a rip about the old decrepit version of Derrick, Henry and his season this year).  We are not watching the same guy week in and week out if you think he’s good running between the tackles. If the o line opens up a hole for him sure, but as soon as he gets touched he falls down. He’s a dynamic weapon for us but a big part of that is because we have the presence of Josh Allen, who can and will run up the middle on short yardage situations. Watch Jamir Gibbs, he’s still not all the way there but he can do it all, outside inside, pass catcher, whatever you need and I don’t feel the same way about cook yet.  He doesn’t have that fight to get the extra yards that makes teams crowd the box in short yardage situations. The team knows that and that’s why they bring in guys like Latavius Murray and Leonard Fournette. I’m sure the scouting department is finding a younger version we can take late in the draft to fill that role.

Edited by NeverOutNick
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Dude is SOFT.  Despite some drops he’s a good back out of the backfield in the flat and on wheel routes, and he has some speed and shiftiness when running.   BUT I don’t know if I saw him get one contested yard the entire year.  He does an excellent job of getting what is blocked for him and that’s it literally.  It seems like almost every time he’s touched he goes down instantly.  They talk about how good back can get 3 yards when there’s 1-2 to get.  When there’s 1-2 to get, Cook gets 1.  He doesn’t even fall / push forward at the end of runs to get the 1/2-1 yard extra most RBs do.  There’s a reason they NEVER used him on short yardage after Brady was the OC.  A number 1 RB has to be able to muscle up consistently and Cook just can’t do it.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I’m driving to work right now so I can’t look up stats (I will say who gives a rip about the old decrepit version of Derrick, Henry and his season this year).  We are not watching the same guy week in and week out if you think he’s good running between the tackles. If the o line opens up a hole for him sure, but as soon as he gets touched he falls down. He’s a dynamic weapon for us but a big part of that is because we have the presence of Josh Allen, who can and will run up the middle on short yardage situations. Watch Jamir Gibbs, he’s still not all the way there but he can do it all, outside inside, pass catcher, whatever you need and I don’t feel the same way about cook yet.  He doesn’t have that fight to get the extra yards that makes teams crowd the box in short yardage situations. The team knows that and that’s why they bring in guys like Latavius Murray and Leonard Fournette. I’m sure the scouting department is finding a younger version we can take late in the draft to fill that role.

18 minutes ago, DC Grid said:

Dude is SOFT.  Despite some drops he’s a good back out of the backfield in the flat and on wheel routes, and he has some speed and shiftiness when running.   BUT I don’t know if I saw him get one contested yard the entire year.  He does an excellent job of getting what is blocked for him and that’s it literally.  It seems like almost every time he’s touched he goes down instantly.  They talk about how good back can get 3 yards when there’s 1-2 to get.  When there’s 1-2 to get, Cook gets 1.  He doesn’t even fall / push forward at the end of runs to get the 1/2-1 yard extra most RBs do.  There’s a reason they NEVER used him on short yardage after Brady was the OC.  A number 1 RB has to be able to muscle up consistently and Cook just can’t do it.  

You guys are definitely watching different games than I am if you think he always went down on first contact. There were plenty of times this season he fought through tackles to pick up extra yards. I think you’re just assuming he always goes down because he isn’t 200+ pounds. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Ya Digg? said:

You guys are definitely watching different games than I am if you think he always went down on first contact. There were plenty of times this season he fought through tackles to pick up extra yards. I think you’re just assuming he always goes down because he isn’t 200+ pounds. 

I think he’s built like Gibbs but doesn’t play like him. We can disagree, I see what I see and I hope he grows into an all around back because he has the potential to be special. I also wouldn’t just assume he’ll get there and would draft a RB late that can do what Cook can not yet

10 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Dances too much, hesitates before the hole.

We will have to agree to disagree here.  To me identifying a crease and immediately hitting it is his best trait.  You can find plays where it gets blown up but assuming that is on him is not fair when you consider hit total body of work.  Sometimes there is not a hole

5 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I think he’s built like Gibbs but doesn’t play like him. We can disagree, I see what I see and I hope he grows into an all around back because he has the potential to be special. I also wouldn’t just assume he’ll get there and would draft a RB late that can do what Cook can not yet

As long as it’s not before the 5th round they can take a RB, especially for what they would probably be used as their fiery year. Don’t get me wrong I’m not a “Cook is definitely an all pro” thinker but he definitely adds a dynamic to the team. That being said if he doesn’t show more improvement over the next 2 years I’m also fine with letting him walk once his contract is up 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea it is concentration drops. What is most interesting to me is 3/4 drops were redzone and I genuinely think he has taken his eye off the ball to look for the goalline in each of those situations. In all 3 it looks like his head comes up early. I think that is something coaching can try and drill into him a bit but mainly it is the sort of issue that experience and maturity can help with.  

He’s to busy thinking about doing his stupid flip into the endzone than catching the damn ball!

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Have no idea why people are downloading this. He absolutely has been good inside the tackles.

12 minutes ago, Westside said:

He’s to busy thinking about doing his stupid flip into the endzone than catching the damn ball!

What an intelligent comment please provide us more

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Have no idea why people are downloading this. He absolutely has been good inside the tackles.

Agree. He isn't an elite between tackles runner but he is plenty good enough and taking him off the field for a downhill guy makes our offense more predictable not less

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, DC Grid said:

Cook, statistically averaged 2 yards after contact and had 482 yards after contact on the season. 

For a 200 pound RB, that isn’t bad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.