Looks like Fangio and the Dolphins had an ugly split.

Gregg

3 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

It was always a strange mix of personalities. McDaniel wants to be friends with the players while Vic wants them to drop and give him 20. That was probably never going to work. 

Sort of a reverse mcdermott chad hall situation... Not that McDermott is a drop and give me 20 type of guy, but he wants boundaries between coaches and players.  

• Disagree 1

Fangio's an old school coach. A football lifer. McDaniel is an odd duck with odd affectations.

Unpopular opinion: I think the Mike McDaniel thing is closer to souring completely and blowing up than it is to breaking through to championship level football.

I think the team will continue to thrive in the early season, continue to falter later in the season and in the playoffs (if they make it that far).

I think that, once they consistently start to not be able to break through, McDaniel's act is going to wear thin quickly and things are going to go south fast.

I also think Tua is just good enough to get your hopes up every year, and just bad enough to dash them when the stakes are highest. 

I do not buy this version of the Dolphins, with McDaniel as coach and Tua as QB, as being long term contenders to the Bills for AFC East supremacy.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Fangio did a very good job in Miami. 

But you have to drill down past base statistics to see it. If you're lazy and just click on NFL.com stats, you will miss the improvement.

I am thankful that he is no longer there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Sort of a reverse mcdermott chad hall situation... Not that McDermott is a drop and give me 20 type of guy, but he wants boundaries between coaches and players.  

He does? I'm not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely curios if he really was like that. 

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Part of the dunne article - but apparently he was pissed at hall for accepting a truck from the WRs at christmas.  

That's crazy! I never knew that about him. Thanks for cluing me in. Much appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fangio's an old school coach. A football lifer. McDaniel is an odd duck with odd affectations.

Unpopular opinion: I think the Mike McDaniel thing is closer to souring completely and blowing up than it is to breaking through to championship level football.

I think the team will continue to thrive in the early season, continue to falter later in the season and in the playoffs (if they make it that far).

I think that, once they consistently start to not be able to break through, McDaniel's act is going to wear thin quickly and things are going to go south fast.

I also think Tua is just good enough to get your hopes up every year, and just bad enough to dash them when the stakes are highest. 

I do not buy this version of the Dolphins, with McDaniel as coach and Tua as QB, as being long term contenders to the Bills for AFC East supremacy.

Great post! I have to agree with you on pretty much all of it! Great job! 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

It was always a strange mix of personalities. McDaniel wants to be friends with the players while Vic wants them to drop and give him 20. That was probably never going to work. 

Fangio is the past; McDaniel, goofy as he is, is the future.

The Vic Freakin' Fangios of the league will all be gone in another 5 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Couldn't agree more with all this. I don't think it's an unpopular take at all.

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

This sounds exactly like the posts I see on finhaven.com! :thumbsup:

It’s painfully obvious after watching behind the scenes on Hard knocks that McDaniels tries very hard to be one of the guys and probably is best served as an OC, but being hamstrung by a limited QB is doing him no favours. 

• Agree 2

My gripe with Fangio is he did such a bad job in Denver as an older, defensive minded HC that I think he scared other teams off from trying guys like Spagnola (tho his Rams tenure may have done that) and Lou Anarumo at HC. Effectively leaving the defensive side of the ball in good hands for the Chiefs and Bengals. 

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

💯 agreed

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Feels like it might be right around the time where teams have what McDaniel's likes to do dialed in and that could make things a lot tougher on them next season.

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Feels like it might be right around the time where teams have what McDaniel's likes to do dialed in and that could make things a lot tougher on them next season.

It feels like it happens over and over again:

Genius Coach X comes in and lights up the league with some revolutionary scheme and high scoring offense. They are hailed as the can't-miss "next big thing" in football. Breathless articles are written about how they're CHANGING THE GAME FOREVER.

...Then a couple seasons go by, opposing defenses get a good read on what that team likes to do, reacts to it and finds ways to defend it, and the coach doesn't have any meaningful counter punch, and then they're gone, and the NEXT "next big thing" comes in. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Steve Spurrier, Mike Martz, Greg Roman, Chip Kelly, Mike McDaniel. Some coaches are able to find counters and evolve and stick around. Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan come to mind. But far too often, these guys are crowned geniuses before they've even got three seasons under their belt, and they're out of a job within a year or two. 

Adding to things in Mike McDaniel's case is that I think he's got a schtick/personality that go down nice and easy when you're winning and things are going well, but will quickly lose their charm once the winning stops.

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

My gripe with Fangio is he did such a bad job in Denver as an older, defensive minded HC that I think he scared other teams off from trying guys like Spagnola (tho his Rams tenure may have done that) and Lou Anarumo at HC. Effectively leaving the defensive side of the ball in good hands for the Chiefs and Bengals. 

I think his Rams tenure scared people off Spagnuolo as HC, yes.

Anarumo - Lou Anarumo is what, 8 years younger than Spags? 6?  And has never been a HC.  He got serious looks last season, I'm not sure teams were scared off because he's defense minded.  I think it's more the Bengals record and their defensive rank

Teams always look harder to poach OCs and DCs from teams that are winning.

Seems like a lot more smoke than fire.  That said, McDaniel will be on his 3rd Defensive Coordinator in as many years, neither of which is gone because they were promoted to a head coach somewhere else.   Additionally, if you have players that play hard depending on how they feel about a coach, then you have the wrong type of players.   Not hard to prove when Tyreek Frickin Hill appears to be a voice of reason in this article. 

I understand coaching has changed a lot over time but I think when you fail to delineate yourself from your players you're asking for trouble.   There needs to be some clear standards set, otherwise who are they answering to?  

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Fangio did a very good job in Miami. 

But you have to drill down past base statistics to see it. If you're lazy and just click on NFL.com stats, you will miss the improvement.

I am thankful that he is no longer there.

I agree.  It was a terrible start to the season but once they got Ramsey back they turned things around slowly but surely.  Then injured really struck and good luck beating Josh or Mahomes with 4th and 5th string pass rushers.  

• Like (+1) 1

Whether it's the egomania of Jerry Jones, the perpetual adolescence of Dan Snyder or the ADHD of David Tepper, for all their supposed business acumen, these owners are a bunch of sheep following each other around by chasing the latest trend in coaching.

They all want the next Sean McVay or Zac Taylor and by chasing the young guy trend they're going to end up with the next Nathaniel Hackett.

Genius in making money never carries over into another thing. Watching arrogant know-it-alls fall on their face is one of life's great pleasures.

When I see coordinators getting thrown under the bus, it's usually a sign that ownership isn't happy with something and demands a dead body to show they mean business. I thought the Dolphins defenders were a solid, hard playing unit and were a big reason why they made the playoffs. 

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

I agree.  It was a terrible start to the season but once they got Ramsey back they turned things around slowly but surely.  Then injured really struck and good luck beating Josh or Mahomes with 4th and 5th string pass rushers.  

They were improving but not enough for the talent they had and the players were not exactly all in. 

I am not saying he sucked. But he didn't do a good enough job IMO. Now in fairness his history shows it is usually year 2 where you see the big gains. Obviously the Dolphins won't see that benefit.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Nice to hear that some players in Miami are more into South Beach than Hardrock stadium.  

I suspect that has always been the case since the Dolphins organization started. Young, rich, professional athletes living in a fun state with hot women. But when it's time to work they should work. They have all year to enjoy what Florida has to offer. Football does have a long offseason.

15 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I do miss Chad Hall, he got the most out of our WR group and with us drafting a couple rookies this year, he’d be a valued asset to there development 

15 hours ago, Logic said:

I agree, but I think the McDaniels experience going sour will have more to do with Tua than McDaniels. McDaniels will eventually have a decent career as coach elsewhere. Tua isn’t a championship QB, McDaniels has taken that team as far as they can go. I’m not sure how much more anyone expects a coach to accomplish with Tua. I know a lot of people find McDaniels “act” to be a bit much, but I doubt players feel that way. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Fangio did not do a good enough job there. Simple. 

Fangio is overrated. His defense in Denver were horrible.  The NFL continues to recycle these old-boys-network coaches.

15 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Fangio is the past; McDaniel, goofy as he is, is the future.

The Vic Freakin' Fangios of the league will all be gone in another 5 years.

On Sirius this morning, they were talking about this exact thing, that "Old school" coaches are increasingly at odds with today's players.

16 hours ago, Gregg said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/charges-counter-charges-divorce-between-210316825.html?

If this creates more dysfunction in Dolphins land. Good. Yesterday the Jets. Now the Fins.

I read the article. Honestly, it seems like a nothingburger. Old school coach does not click with young HC because they do things differently, has trouble connecting with his players and complains that some players like to enjoy the Miami party scene. Shrug.

A lot of Shanahan scheme coaches brought in Fangio scheme coaches to hone their offenses. They’d all do well to diversify their defenses because that seems pretty dialed in now. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Nice to hear that some players in Miami are more into South Beach than Hardrock stadium.  

I always thought that was a big risk for the Phins both with expensive vets looking to semi-retire and rookies with their first taste of a party scene of that magnitude. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think doing this hard knocks crap was probably a big mistake by the Dolphins, and you really wonder why teams keep getting forced to do that other than the obvious (NFL cash grab $$$)

But it looks like it's desperation time in Miami this offseason and probably a safe bet to assume that McDaniel's seat is hotter than summer in Miami entering the 2024 campaign with expectations they will win the division and/or make a deep playoff run next year to keep his job.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.