Ben Johnson Staying in Detroit

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

If I was the hottest HC candidate in the league, I'd spend another year burnishing my resume with that Detroit offense rather than go to a team with no QB, too.

Guys like Johnson have the luxury of waiting for the perfect opportunity. No need to jump at the first jobs that come available, especially if one of them involves being employed by the Washington Commanders.

But he'd have the 2nd overall pick to get the QB and groom him.  Not to mention cover for several years as the team develops.  Oh and $83M in cap room.

I'm not surprised. I know some looked at the #2 pick, cap space and new ownership and thought that the Commanders job was an attractive proposition. But I think it is a very hard job. Their roster really sucks. They have one receiver and two defensive tackles, their best DB is a free agent and around that it's a mess.

Ben Johnson is the hottest coordinator around. Unless the Lions offense falls off a cliff he will be a popular interview next year too. Take a good job. Do not take a bad job. I get there are only 32 in the world and that creates a sense of urgency. But too many promising coaches over the years have jumped at a bad job, failed, and never got another shot. 

Not sure where it leaves Washington now

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think next offseason there will be a lot more desirable openings. Dallas, Philly, KC if Reid retires, Buffalo if we miss the playoffs (or Pegula gets fed up with losing playoff games).

Probably waiting for a better situation to open up (I think Seattle is pretty good IMO though).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

Thank jeebus.

He obviously wants to work with Josh Allen. That's our 2025 coach right there after mcdoormat blows another playoff game next season.

🤞

I don't doubt for a second this guy opted to stay put with the Lions because he simply felt that going to a team that didn't make the playoffs last year and has questions marks at QB wasn't in his best interest given the few teams left in the coaching market.

But at the same time, Johnson might want to check his ego because owners are going to remember how he passed on these teams and even if the Bills job opens up next year, is an unproven commodity really the best option with a team that has a top 5 NFL QB and will be expected to get to a superbowl since that would be the reason McDivisional is finally canned?

Moral of the story, still think the next Bills head (if there is one anytime soon) would be a retread over a first year unproven guy.

Terry if McDermott loses in the playoffs yet again without making the Super Bowl: We have the right coach in place, we've been knocking on the door, just need to find that last pieces or pieces to get over the hump

Terry if the Bills miss the playoffs: McDermott has done a ton of winning here, changed the culture, deserves a chance to make up for 1 bad year 

McDermott is as secure as any coach in the NFL. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I went to the Commanders' board and there is a lot more to all of this. He told them this while the Commanders' owner and GM were on the plane en route to Detroit to interview him. This after last year essentially accepting the Panthers job and then deciding to stay in Detroit at the last second. This is not a good look for him. Albright is reporting that he is asking for $15 million per year.  FWIW, I feel for those fans. It reads like a drought-ear coaching search thread around here.

https://es.redskins.com/topic/453428-moving-towards-our-future-front-office-and-coaching-hires-all-the-way-to-the-water-boy-adam-peters-hired-as-gm/page/323/

34 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

So, your perfect dream involves the Bills NOT winning the Super Bowl next year. Got it.

Also, allow me to be the first one to pee in everyone's Cheerios for next year. Barring a 5 or 6 win season or the complete loss of the locker room, Sean McDermott isn't going anywhere in 2025. So which of those are you rooting for?

No, maybe I should have worded it differently.  My dream scenario was to have the option of hiring Johnson if things don’t end with a Super Bowl.  If you’re a fan of Ben Johnson than that should be your dream scenario too

7 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I went to the Commanders' board and there is a lot more to all of this. He told them this while the Commanders' owner and GM were on the plane en route to Detroit to interview him. This after last year essentially accepting the Panthers job and then deciding to stay in Detroit at the last second. This is not a good look for him. Albright is reporting that he is asking for $15 million per year.  FWIW, I feel for those fans. It reads like a drought-ear coaching search thread around here.

https://es.redskins.com/topic/453428-moving-towards-our-future-front-office-and-coaching-hires-all-the-way-to-the-water-boy-adam-peters-hired-as-gm/page/323/

He has to be careful not to overplay his hand. 

Opportunity doesn't come along often.

• Like (+1) 1

He looked at the lack of QBs on those teams and made the right decision. I don’t care how great of a schemer an OC is, if you don’t have the right QB, odds are it won’t be pretty. 

46 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Not quite Josh McDaniels level at Indy but he’s getting closer.  Definitely not a great look.  And there are no guarantees of anything.  The Lions may have stiffer competition next season and injuries are always around the corner. Could be tough to repeat. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No, maybe I should have worded it differently.  My dream scenario was to have the option of hiring Johnson if things don’t end with a Super Bowl.  If you’re a fan of Ben Johnson than that should be your dream scenario too

I'm a believer that as fans locking into any coach is pretty useless. Sure, he's having a nice run as an OC. But can he coach an entire team? What's his personal philosophy? Can he assemble a QUALITY staff. These are much more important than...ohhh shiny OC. And unfortunately, that's something we aren't going to know as we can't sit in on interviews.

So in short, I like Ben, just can't be sold on him.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm a believer that as fans locking into any coach is pretty useless. Sure, he's having a nice run as an OC. But can he coach an entire team? What's his personal philosophy? Can he assemble a QUALITY staff. These are much more important than...ohhh shiny OC. And unfortunately, that's something we aren't going to know as we can't sit in on interviews.

So in short, I like Ben, just can't be sold on him.

That goes without saying.  Of course a first time HC is going to have question marks.  I’m not saying he’s a sure thing or that anyone should be sold on him.  The niners and a rams aren’t disappointed that they took chances on hot young OCs without any HC experience.  It’s not guaranteed but sometimes you have to take a chance.  

He’s my top candidate and it’s my best case scenario that he wasn’t hired as a HC elsewhere yet.    

They had a nice improvement year in 2022 but this season the Lions really exploded on the scene at 12-5.  

There's always great storylines in the NFL, but next season it will be really interesting to follow how Detroit handles being one of the NFC teams being hunted by everyone else.  

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Huge news for next offseason. I wonder if he decided he wants to wait for an opportunity with an established QB?

This MUST be it.

And it's a ballsy move. This is the second year in a row he has done this.

If the Bills make a coaching change and they turn to a guy that has no track record, and Josh in his mid-life as an NFL QB, I think that would be very risky.

Edited by Beast

Glad NE did not even think to interview him.  They must really like Mayo.   I think it ends badly for them!

23 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This MUST be it.

And it's a ballsy move. This is the second year in a row he has done this.

Also possible Detroit is paying him good coin to continue where he is.  That stuff is not published so its anyones guess.

3 hours ago, McBean said:

Him, BB, and Vrabel are still on the board.

Tell mclap Super Bowl next year or you’re fired immediately after the last game when the zeroes hit the clock.

Cowherd said something similar today on the news that Johnson was staying put.  Basically he identified a number of potential jobs next season where he could land with a great QB including Buffalo. 

14 minutes ago, Beast said:

If the Bills make a coaching change and they turn to a guy that has no track record, and Josh in his mid-life as an NFL QB, I think that would be very risky.

Sounds like this makes you nervous.  Allen plus Johnson could be DYNO-MITE!

Switching to an OC with a proven track record could unleash Allen who is at the top of his physical gifts while nearing his summit mentally. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Cowherd said something similar today on the news that Johnson was staying put.  Basically he identified a number of potential jobs next season where he could land with a great QB including Buffalo. 

Sounds like this makes you nervous.  Allen plus Johnson could be DYNO-MITE!

Switching to an OC with a proven track record could unleash Allen who is at the top of his physical gifts while nearing his summit mentally. 

We can always hope. End of next season is a long way off and many things can happen.......You never know, either he gets it done or he's out IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

We can always hope. End of next season is a long way off and many things can happen.......You never know, either he gets it done or he's out IMO.

I would prefer that McD leads us to a Super Bowl and Johnson goes somewhere else.  But I just don't see McD getting over the hump and to waste Allen's best years with a defensive minded coach would be so sad.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

But he'd have the 2nd overall pick to get the QB and groom him.  Not to mention cover for several years as the team develops.  Oh and $83M in cap room.

Maybe he wanted to be the prominent voice of who that QB should be and the FO didn’t want to give that up. I wouldn’t blame him. I wouldn’t want to be connected to young QB I didn’t pick. Adam Peters is almost as young as Johnson. They’re both equally hungry and inexperienced in their would be jobs. Maybe not the best environment for a young, first time HC. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Low Positive said:

I think other management groups know that the Commanders and Panthers are a hot mess. I don’t think they will hold it against him.

Edited by DapperCam
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

You know whose offense scored zero points Sunday while watching the 49ers racked up 27 straight and salt the game away?

I think Ben Johnson is making a wise move that too few coaches make, but he’s certainly betting on himself. It’s possible that he reached his peak value this offseason.  Waiting for the right opportunity makes sense for long term success, but an OC’s value can go down in a hurry as well. 

• Agree 1

Couple times the camera caught him being, in my opinion, an ####### on the sidelines to other staff I could only assume. Not really sure what transpired and I could be totally wrong in my interpretation of him. 🤷🏻

16 minutes ago, Beast said:

You know whose offense scored zero points Sunday while watching the 49ers racked up 27 straight and salt the game away?

I agree with you here. This dudes hype machine is strong. Not sure it’s warranted but we won’t know until he becomes a head coach. 

7 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

There is a world where Bills could have multiple top 5 OCs to choose from next year if they don’t bring a trophy home and part ways with McD.

I'm excited that Ben Johnson will be available next year after Sean does what he does best.  I'm super disappointed this ownership didn't identify issues dating back to 13 seconds.  I've never seen a coach get so many chances. I guess I can wait one more year?

53 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yeah 31 points (should've been 34) against a top defense like the niners is a terrible accomplishment.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

13 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

He will be hired in Kansas City after they win the Superbowl and Reid retires 

what's with all the speculation on reid retiring. that guy is gonna die 6 months after he steps down, right? 

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm excited that Ben Johnson will be available next year after Sean does what he does best.  I'm super disappointed this ownership didn't identify issues dating back to 13 seconds.  I've never seen a coach get so many chances. I guess I can wait one more year?

Yeah 31 points (should've been 34) against a top defense like the niners is a terrible accomplishment.  

i would replace mcd with a ben johnson or harbaugh for sure, but the list isn't long. if you're gonna start that search, you better be sure they are going to say yes.  and how many teams have fired a guy with McDermott's record. 70% or whatever in the regular season and 500 in the playoffs. We all think it should be better, but realistically, how many are getting fired with that track record? 

Well, I understand him wanting another year as an OC as who would want to go to Washington?  If McD underperforms next year (I hope he doesn’t), it would time to move on.  If we can land Johnson as our HC, that would be a real change to an offensive minded HC.  That would be nice.

What offensive minded HC wouldn’t want to pursue securing Allen as his QB.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

If McD underperforms next year

It depends what underperforms means doesn't it? And that is kind of where I think the McDermott conversation is stuck. Is not reaching a Superbowl underperforming? Is not reaching a second AFCCG underperforming? In a vacuum, sure, you can argue with Josh Allen it is. But then in context is losing playoff games that come down to one or two plays to Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid underperforming? I'm always going to struggle to get myself there. 

The clear examples of underperformance would be:

1) missing the playoffs - and I was clear that if he missed the playoffs this year I'd have fired him. When it looked like that was the likely outcome I was fine if the Bills wanted to move on. 

2) losing a playoff game to a non-elite / top end Quarterback. If they were to lose in the playoffs to a team where they had a clear Quarterback advantage with Josh then I think you say "okay, that is failure."

There is then the cumulative effect. And that is where a lot of fans are, with a gut feeling that we will just always be close with no cigar under McDermott and eventually you have to give someone else a go. I understand that line of thinking. I just struggle to get myself there, but maybe with another year of losing in the playoffs I'd feel different. 

I like Ben Johnson, I do. I don't think he is the offensive whizz kid some make out but that makes me like him more. I think he is a coach that knows who he has on offense, knows what they can do and knows what they can't and he really leans into it. There isn't anything revolutionary about the Lions offense it just knows what it is and they execute it effectively and put their players in the best position to make plays. That is the kind of awareness that makes me think he has a future as a Head Coach in this league much more so than being a whizz kid who is gonna try and impose his scheme on everyone he comes across. He worked under Philbin (who was a WCO - spread variant guy) and Gase (who was a modified E-P guy) in Miami so he definitely has some experience in both of the two pre-eminent offensive systems in the NFL right now. I'd be interested in having him as the Bills Head Coach (and de-facto OC), but I am not sure I'm at "my word we MUST have this guy, fire everyone to get him."

• Like (+1) 1

GB, Imnot excited about the idea of firing McD, but we need to coach better in the playoffs.  We keep getting outcoached in critical games.  We should’ve beat the Chiefs.  We would’ve had a real shot against the Ravens as McD has always had a solid plan against Lamar.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

GB, Imnot excited about the idea of firing McD, but we need to coach better in the playoffs.  We keep getting outcoached in critical games.  We should’ve beat the Chiefs.  We would’ve had a real shot against the Ravens as McD has always had a solid plan against Lamar.

We should have beat the Chiefs. And there are reasons we didn't. But it wasn't coaching that failed us right at the end with the game on the line. It was pure execution. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Probably smart, though I thought that Washington job was a pretty good one. 

That team just gave up all their talent and has nothing set at QB, what’s good? A new owner who’s proven to be ruthless in pursuit of winning?  Yeah, not where I’m starting my HC career if I have a choice. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.