Bills Draft Rd 1 - Pick 28

boyst

2 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Wide Receiver, Safety, Defensive End. Take your pick, plenty of holes on the roster next year. 28 is late enough where you aren’t going to be landing a sure thing.

Check the last 10 years of the 28th pick. I’m not sure there is an impact player in the bunch. Actually, mostly busts.

Myles Murphy Bengals 2023 1 28

Devonte Wyatt Packers 2022 1 28

Payton Turner Saints 2021 1 28

Patrick Queen Ravens 2020 1 28

Jerry Tillery Chargers 2019 1 28

Terrell Edmunds Steelers 2018 1 28

Taco Charlton Cowboys 2017 1 28

Joshua Garnett 49ers 2016 1 28

Laken Tomlinson Lions 2015 1 28

Kelvin Benjamin Panthers 2014 1 28

Edited by BearNorth
  • Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

I think the Bills will end up trading up for a WR. I think they may leave the draft with two.

A WR that can reliably win deep is an absolute necessity. Beyond that, the Bills need a route runner / separator that is the heir apparent to Diggs.

This is a heavy draft on WRs, trading up feels foolish see Sammy Watkins 2.0 Toss in think we need as many picks as possible with so many pending UFAs will have a lot of holes to fill. Depending how UFA turns out I'd think a guy like Troy Franklin could be there for picking at number 28 and fits our need for speed. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Don't overthink it, Beane.

Exactly.  Those are not McD's fault.  So much ineptitude yesterday when you break it down. 

Disclaimer:  I am ok moving on from McD.  But!.....

Edited by nedboy7

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Realistically,  I don't think it's an option.  It would be exorbitantly expensive to move up from 28 to the top 3. 

I thought through a path yesterday. Trade Chicago Diggs plus 28 for 9 (or whatever their pick is). The Giants at 6 could do something like that too. Use 9 & 2025 1st to get to 3 or 4. Not likely but possible. 

FWIW, I think Franklin or Legette is the target. They could also drop back and consider Xavier Worthy. I think that the Bills want speed.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

9 draft picks currently. Wouldn't hate:

WR

WR

CB

S

IDL 

In that order for the first 5 rounds....

This draft is too deep at WR, and we have too many other needs, to make a double WR pick in the 2nd.

It would be a re-do of the Boogie Basham mistake all over again.

Plus, there arent that many balls to go around to justify that value of taking our 5th receiving option in the 2nd round.

We should be able to take a WR in the 1st and another in the 4th-6th and still score some top talent while plugging our other holes with guys who can contribute right away as well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

What do we have, 9 picks?

WR
S
S
WR
WR
WR
WR
WR
WR

Then go into undrafted free agency and, yep, you guessed it, scoop up some WRs.

I'm joking, obviously. Kind of. But in all seriousness, can they please, for the love of God, load up on offense this offseason?!

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

At 28, I'd probably prefer WR. The three I'm currently looking at around there are Troy Franklin, Brian Thomas Jr., and Ladd McConkey. They seem to check more of the boxes that I'm looking for than most, though I am a bit concerned about McConkey's lack of reps against man coverage since it feels like we have a lot of zone beaters right now. So might be more of a focus on Franklin and Thomas in the first round for me.

As a Georgia fan I would not take McConkey in the first round. Too many injuries at the college level. I would take him in the second round. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This draft is too deep at WR, and we have too many other needs, to make a double WR pick in the 2nd.

It would be a re-do of the Boogie Basham mistake all over again.

Plus, there arent that many balls to go around to justify that value of taking our 5th receiving option in the 2nd round.

We should be able to take a WR in the 1st and another in the 4th-6th and still score some top talent while plugging our other holes with guys who can contribute right away as well.

If we dont then I would need a FA WR with proven numbers or I would have the same attitude towards the offense as I do now.

I know the need for a receiver but unless they sign a veteran safety they will probably take a safety because that will be a need also.  With the depth of receivers in this draft I say go safety at 28 and trade up in the second and draft a receiver. 

I think AD Mitchell of Texas may be available in the second but the Bills will probably have to trade up in the second to get him. 

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

As a Georgia fan I would not take McConkey in the first round. Too many injuries at the college level. I would take him in the second round. 

As a UGA follower I wouldnt even take him in the 2nd, especially given what he brings to this team, which is nothing we dont already have. Not meant as diss on Ladd.

35 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

At 28, I'd probably prefer WR. The three I'm currently looking at around there are Troy Franklin, Brian Thomas Jr., and Ladd McConkey. They seem to check more of the boxes that I'm looking for than most, though I am a bit concerned about McConkey's lack of reps against man coverage since it feels like we have a lot of zone beaters right now. So might be more of a focus on Franklin and Thomas in the first round for me.

I think Legette is our guy at 28. Not sold yet on Franklin or Thomas but combine and workouts could change that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Cray51 said:

This team can make it to the playoffs with sub par play at certain areas, but we need to evaluate what kills us against the top teams.  That's WR and DL.  I expect a WR in either round 1 or 2, and a DL/S in 3 or 4

That's it in a nut shell. Against KC or Cincy we can't ever get separation. We can't ever put pressure on Mahomes or Joe.  Von was a colossal FAIL. AJE & Groot are beyond mediocre.  Probably can't afford keeping Floyd?  Diggs is diminished. 

I'll say this: I will not rule out trading back out of the 1st. I will actually be more surprised if we stay at 28 than not.

While the process is early, it looks like there is a deep crop of receivers. I anticipate that there will "the guy" who the Bills would try to go up for or "a guy" who looks like decent value in the second round. 

Give me Kam Kinchens from Miami. One of the better safety's out there and we have to replace two. He's a ball hawk, isn't super proficient in the run game, but he's was a do it all safety for Miami 2 years ago, this year he missed some time with an injury but was their best player on the back 7. They have two high caliber safeties coming out but James Williams is a Strong Safety whereas Kam is the FS. 

Edited by Monty98

You can forget about moving on from Beane's high-priced, horrible contracts, so assuming we're stuck with Knox, Bass, Diggs, Tre, Von and others, I'm going with WR and Safety as by far our two biggest needs. I'll leave it to others who know more about the incoming class of rookies.

3 hours ago, bills6969 said:

WIDE RECEIVER

we need a #2 guy.  This years draft has a ton of WR talent at the top.  Here’s a a few guys that i think may be available for us:

Troy Franklin

Keon Coleman

Adonai Mitchell

would be ecstatic if we got one of these guys  

I do not think we have a 1.  Diggs will be here, but Diggs isn't Diggs.  

Yes, double dip but at 1/5 or 2/4.   Not 1/2

28 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As a UGA follower I wouldnt even take him in the 2nd, especially given what he brings to this team, which is nothing we dont already have. Not meant as diss on Ladd.

I think Legette is our guy at 28. Not sold yet on Franklin or Thomas but combine and workouts could change that.

Re: Ladd - It feels like at least based on the numbers that he's a very effective WR against zone coverage, finding holes to squat down in and whatnot which is probably the strength of our current WRs. Franklin and Thomas appear to be much more effective against man coverage. They definitely have their warts though. Thomas seems to be amazing at beating press coverage which is one of the main traits I'm looking for, but he seems to have a bit of the Chase Claypool gene where he doesn't like attacking the ball in the air. Far better separator than guys like Claypool though so it shouldn't totally ruin him as a player. Franklin is a bit more raw in terms of releasing against press/route running/ball tracking but he'll go up and get it and is just a great speed threat everywhere.

Re: Legette, taking this long to become a remotely productive college player is a pretty serious red flag, particularly with WRs and he doesn't seem particularly good against press coverage still. Feels like a lot of people compare him to DK Metcalf, but DK's ability to beat press coverage was his greatest skill whereas it's a weakness for Legette.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Re: Ladd - It feels like at least based on the numbers that he's a very effective WR against zone coverage, finding holes to squat down in and whatnot which is probably the strength of our current WRs. Franklin and Thomas appear to be much more effective against man coverage. They definitely have their warts though. Thomas seems to be amazing at beating press coverage which is one of the main traits I'm looking for, but he seems to have a bit of the Chase Claypool gene where he doesn't like attacking the ball in the air. Far better separator than guys like Claypool though so it shouldn't totally ruin him as a player. Franklin is a bit more raw in terms of releasing against press/route running/ball tracking but he'll go up and get it and is just a great speed threat everywhere.

Re: Legette, taking this long to become a remotely productive college player is a pretty serious red flag, particularly with WRs and he doesn't seem particularly good against press coverage still. Feels like a lot of people compare him to DK Metcalf, but DK's ability to beat press coverage was his greatest skill whereas it's a weakness for Legette.

I wish people wouldn't mention Metcalf. Years later, I'm still pissed off about that.

1 minute ago, Goin Breakdown said:

It's going to be a safety

I'm pretty sure you're right, seeing as how the Bills will be forced into taking the fourth or fifth WR off the board by the time they pick.  So, who are the top one or two College safeties in the Draft? 

Brian Thomas Jr- LSU. 6'4" 205lbs. Deep threat extraordinaire. Overshadowed by Nabers a bit, but could be a just as dangerous. I watched some film on Jayden Daniels & all I kept noticing was Thomas Jr really stood out. I honestly think Nabers/Thomas had more to do with the Heisman season than Daniels himself. I think Thomas is exactly what we need & currently projected in the back third of the 1st round.

I also think Troy Franklin is a great fit for us. He's more well-rounded than Thomas Jr, but slightly less explosive.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'm pretty sure you're right, seeing as how the Bills will be forced into taking the fourth or fifth WR off the board by the time they pick.  So, who are the top one or two College safeties in the Draft? 

Watch tape of Cooper DeJean to see a player who McD would cream his jeans to get.

Unfortunately, now that we've landed at 28, DeJean will likely be long gone by then. And I cant justify a trade up for a Safety.

But that kid would completely transform our Defense. He's a Troy Polamalu, doesnt have a real position just let him run wild, type player.

16 minutes ago, Monty98 said:

Give me Kam Kinchens from Miami. One of the better safety's out there and we have to replace two. He's a ball hawk, isn't super proficient in the run game, but he's was a do it all safety for Miami 2 years ago, this year he missed some time with an injury but was their best player on the back 7. They have two high caliber safeties coming out but James Williams is a Strong Safety whereas Kam is the FS. 

James Williams is no high caliber safety. Kitchens absolutely 

3 hours ago, bills6969 said:

WIDE RECEIVER

we need a #2 guy.  This years draft has a ton of WR talent at the top.  Here’s a a few guys that i think may be available for us:

Troy Franklin

Keon Coleman

Adonai Mitchell

would be ecstatic if we got one of these guys  

Avoid Keon Coleman like the plague. He showed up for 2 games at FSU and it was the LSU and Syracuse game. Outside of that he was pedestrian at best. Everyone sees his size and he will test well and think D.K. 2.0 but he has not produced like D.K. has. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Top needs:

1. WR

2. WR

3. S

4. WR

5. DT

I think we need multiple WR's. We need a burner and we need a #1b. Diggs looked like poo, we need someone with the potential to replace him within 2 seasons.

This.  I mean, there's always a need for OL and CB, but WR and to a lesser extent S need to be our top priorities.  We should ideally come out of the draft with at least two new WRs.  

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

James Williams is no high caliber safety. Kitchens absolutely 

If you're playing him in the Poyer role, he's a good safety and high calibre, didn't say first round pick, but a high calibre player. Closer to a Kam Chancellor type, but still high calibre

One thing to watch is Beane better not go to sleep as the draft pick gets close. KC will be looking for the same type of player so if your WR is there, go get him. Don’t get blindsided like they did with McDuffie.

WR has to be the pick barring something unexpected.

I'd go WR all the way. One thing McD and Beane have proved is that they're very good at getting defensive talent that fits this system in the later rounds, or even as lower cost FAs. I'd use the top 3 picks on offense myself but I agree they'll probably choose a safety 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Iverwig said:

I know the need for a receiver but unless they sign a veteran safety they will probably take a safety because that will be a need also.  With the depth of receivers in this draft I say go safety at 28 and trade up in the second and draft a receiver. 

I think AD Mitchell of Texas may be available in the second but the Bills will probably have to trade up in the second to get him. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As a fellow Bulldog backer, I think the plan should be to trade out of the first to the early 2nd rd picking up an extra 3rd and maybe a late 4th as well.  I'd then use the early 2nd on Adonai Mitchell, and the late 2nd on Bullard (or other available safety).  I'd have zero problem with grabbing Ladd in 3rd.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Monty98 said:

If you're playing him in the Poyer role, he's a good safety and high calibre, didn't say first round pick, but a high calibre player. Closer to a Kam Chancellor type, but still high calibre

James Williams can’t cover as a safety in college and is known as a big hitter but fails to wrap on tackles by lowering his shoulder too much. Guys like him are dinosaurs in the NFL today . Also throw in the character issues he has and you have a guy I wouldn’t take until round 5.  Williams gets his love from his HS ranking and being a 5 star out of HS. Kitchens covered a lot of his flaws up imo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.