Injuries vs Steelers - Update from McDermott

DJB

24 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Think it's an "educated guess" on Diggs.  Based on Minkah hitting him there/Diggs toppling over.  Agree, Diggs is battling through something.

Bernard- if it's indeed a sprain, didn't look like High'Ankle based on bend direction.  But could still be a torn ligament/need several month surgery recovery.  Big Unknown until MRI.  We just don't have the numbers at LB, with Spector also down and Dodson.  Hopefully both those guys can play this week

Johnson- I think he was injured on. the Pickens reverse, didn't look like head/thought his legs gave out.  But maybe hit then fell awkwardly. 

Benford - he was riding stationary bike then quickly ruled out.  I don't recall the injury, perhaps on the Freirermuth fumble.  Hopefully we get Rasul back, at a minimum, to go with Dane.

Martin- I'd expect he battles through/plays.

McGovern- came back into game after 1 play, sure he'll be ok

Banged up Bills has a breakdown of Taron Johnson's last snap. He does take contact from Dan Moore Jr and Connor Heyward, but not obvious jarring contact, just a double team block and they release further down the field, and then he stumbles over shaking his right hand. 

Happened with 0:11 left in the 3rd quarter. 

Also, he was never officially ruled out for a concussion, just taken for evaluation. 

Benford was on the Freiremuth fumble. Banged up Bills has a good angle of it, he sets into tackle position, and his right knee buckles some, and his ankle awkwardly turns. He's thinking possible lateral meniscus. And when you watch it again, he doesn't immediately grab his knee, he starts to get back recognizing a fumble before going out of view. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Douglas has said he could’ve played twice and this really has a good chance of being the last game of the season if he doesn’t play so I’d be shocked if he wasn’t out there.  Dodson I have no idea though 

Sure. And Miller said he'd be back before the end of last season.

• Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They won’t say no, but they say unlikely. McDermott seems very careful talking about injuries. He’ll likely be cleared around February. I just don’t think that’s enough time for him to practice and be ready to contribute in the Super Bowl.

I thought McD shut that discussion down a few weeks back. In any case, I dont want Milano's first game back from injuries and an extended time off to be the Superbowl. 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The way I look at it, if Sean is willing to roll Von out there every week at 50% then he sure as hell can play a few of these guys at 75%. I think beyond Bernard, many will be at least active and ready if needed. 

The Von Miller thing is baffling. It goes against everything that McDermott purports to stand for regarding earning playing time. Maybe all other options are horrible so Miller's the best they can do? Who knows.

41 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Think it's an "educated guess" on Diggs.  Based on Minkah hitting him there/Diggs toppling over.  Agree, Diggs is battling through something.

Bernard- if it's indeed a sprain, didn't look like High'Ankle based on bend direction.  But could still be a torn ligament/need several month surgery recovery.  Big Unknown until MRI.  We just don't have the numbers at LB, with Spector also down and Dodson.  Hopefully both those guys can play this week

Johnson- I think he was injured on. the Pickens reverse, didn't look like head/thought his legs gave out.  But maybe hit then fell awkwardly. 

Benford - he was riding stationary bike then quickly ruled out.  I don't recall the injury, perhaps on the Freirermuth fumble.  Hopefully we get Rasul back, at a minimum, to go with Dane.

On Shakir’s TD, some Pitt DL jumped on Diggs’ back and tackled him. It looked like a flagrant attempt by someone who knew he had an injury. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Douglas has said he could’ve played twice and this really has a good chance of being the last game of the season if he doesn’t play so I’d be shocked if he wasn’t out there.  Dodson I have no idea though 

I'm sure he wants to be out there.  On the 'could've played' thing, though, it's noteworthy that McDermott received the evaluation "out for the game" from the trainers.  Douglas wouldn't be the first player who, full of adrenaline during the game, thinks he can come back and play while sports medicine experts who cold-bloodedly look at things like the degree of laxity in the joint and points of tenderness that point to the injury say "nope".    It's also not uncommon that guys initially have more function, but after they sit on the flight home and sleep, they wake up and find considerable swelling/functional impairment.

It's notable that even though he was ruled "questionable" and not "out" for the game, Douglas DNP every day last week.

Dodson is a good question.  He practiced, albeit limited, 2x last week.

Banged up Bills had this to say before the Steelers game:

LB Tyrel Dodson (Left Shoulder)

Dodson exited the game on Sunday with a left shoulder injury suffered in the second quarter. This was the result of a late hit that caused him to somersault over Greg Rousseau and De’Von Achane. His left shoulder clipped Achane but Dodson stayed in. 

#Bills Tyrel Dodson L shoulder inj.

1) Dives in late hit & flips over.

2) Just out of the frame at top takes a L shoulder shot from Armstead.

3) Takes another shot & rolls out shoulder.

2 more plays, no contact, then leaves.

Best bet is AC joint sprain based on current info. pic.twitter.com/1Gd1xdouGk

— Banged Up Bills (@BangedUpBills) January 8, 2024

He was able to finish the series after getting the shoulder jarred several more times. The initial concern was for an AC joint sprain, but looking at this more and more, AC joint sprains usually are the result of a lateral compressive force to the shoulder, damaging the ligaments of the acromioclavicular joint. The direct blow could have caused labrum and rotator cuff damage. This would be the same injury that Jordan Phillips suffered last season.

If Dodson does attempt to play through the injury, he would have instability in the area and weakness due to either injury. He will have to wear a brace and limit the use of his shoulder in tackling and blocking. He will essentially be playing with one shoulder and could see his day end early with another awkward hit. 

He would be the best bet to play but I’m not confident in his abilities coming off the injury this quickly. The team signed AJ Klein for a reason this week which is why I believe he will sit. 

I was discussing with someone here AJ Klein as MLB vs KC.  AJ has "got it going on" mentally, obviously, since he was able to come off the street and not only play, but call the defense.  But, in preseason we saw that his already limited range was even more so.  The thought of Klein dropping into coverage on Rashee Rice and Travis Kelce over the middle brings on a shiver.

On the other hand, if Dodson does indeed have a torn labrum and will have to play with a brace - the thought of him not only trying to play through the pain, but do something that is mentally challenging for him (call the D), is not a happy one.

Can McDermott cook up a defense which would have Klein calling the D and use Klein to his best physical advantage, while distributing coverage responsibilities elsewhere?  That's way beyond my paygrade and may depend upon whether Johnson, Benford, and Rapp can play.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They won’t say no, but they say unlikely. McDermott seems very careful talking about injuries. He’ll likely be cleared around February. I just don’t think that’s enough time for him to practice and be ready to contribute in the Super Bowl.

I was thinking the other day it would be nice if they increased the allowed number of players who are allowed to dress for the SB - like the full 53 active say.  Would allow teams to reward fringe or injured players that might not normally get to suit up to reward them for contributions to the team - throw them in for a play and they can have memory of playing in a SB

7 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

unless you’re KC. They are of course fully healthy at the right time (again). No injuries vs Miami. Just a minor scare to Rice. 

Doesn't mean they won't have guys drop like flies during the game tho as we have seen the last few weeks...

13 hours ago, BillsFooteball said:

Am I only the one bothered by this? I hope he is all good to go next week and I hope this is just classic player talk.  I know with weather and matchup wise, he wasn’t the biggest need. However, it’s playoffs. There’s no tomorrow if lose. If your best can go, you play them.  I hope I’m overreacting here lol 

Players are always overly optimistic about their ability to play...it's the trainers that sometimes need to "save players from themselves" in those ways. Likely would have been a prime candidate to re-injure during the game if he played. The extra rest and treatments should allow for much lower chances of that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

Lol i like him as rubbery as gumby.  not sure how he has escaped super serious injuries these past few games (Pats and now this) but let him be loose.  

oh agreed but I tore ligaments playing soccer and train run for track on Buffalo sidewalks... use to roll them all the time because they got so loose til I started skating and playing hockey... knock on wood but havent rolled them in years and trust me I stumble over a lot of things lol

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

oh agreed but I tore ligaments playing soccer and train run for track on Buffalo sidewalks... use to roll them all the time because they got so loose til I started skating and playing hockey... knock on wood but havent rolled them in years and trust me I stumble over a lot of things lol

You never wore any type of lace up boot or protection for it?

Played soccer but I partially tore my Achilles playing pickup basketball once when I jumped and landed on another person's foot and then when I played soccer after it healed up(no surgery thank God), I would get Achilles tendonitis so bad the next day it would feel like every time I took a step it was going to tear it was so tight.

Lace Up boot prevented it and for the next 5-7 years I played I wore it every game.

Edited by Big Turk

Praying for good news the next few days on the Bills injury front.

Just amazing though that KC barely every has any injuries of note despite playing a similar brand of physical football. They are either lucky or their guys are flat out better NFL players.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Just amazing though that KC barely every has any injuries of note despite playing a similar brand of physical football. They are either lucky or their guys are flat out better NFL players.

jerick mckinnon, skyy moore and kadarius toney are all out with injury. hardman missed nearly two months with injury. richie james missed two months with injury. justyn ross missed two months with suspension and now is injured. watson missed time with injury. kelce has had nagging injuries all year long. so basically every single member of the chiefs' already awful pass catching corps has been or is injured this year except rashee rice.

pacheco has been out two separate times this year with injury (including vs the bills earlier this year). clyde edwards-helaire missed a game due to injury. 

the chiefs' starting left tackle donovan smith was out for over a month, then the backup LT wanya morris injured himself. (smith is now back).

aside from LB nick bolton's two-month injury and S bryan cook's season-ending injury, the chiefs have been remarkably healthy on defense this year however.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Your brand of stupid is one of a kind. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Here's the update I got on a few of the injuries suffered yesterday:

-Spector is totally fine, will have no issues.

-Benford has a small tear in his meniscus but may be able to play through it. TBD

-Bernard I got less clarity on. My source believes it is a high ankle sprain, but not 100% sure since they were still testing it as of when my source got the information. TBD on if he can definitely return this year or what the return time would look like but thankfully it appears he avoided a truly serious injury.

I have no update on Taron Johnson, or the players that were out against the Steelers. I'll pass along any further updates if I receive them.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 24

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

-Benford has a small tear in his meniscus but may be able to play through it. TBD

-Bernard I got less clarity on. My source believes it is a high ankle sprain, but not 100% sure since they were still testing it as of when my source got the information. TBD on if he can definitely return this year or what the return time would look like but thankfully it appears he avoided a truly serious injury.

I have no update on Taron Johnson, or the players that were out against the Steelers. I'll pass along any further updates if I receive them.

Any word on Dobson at all?

19 minutes ago, beebe said:

jerick mckinnon, skyy moore and kadarius toney are all out with injury. hardman missed nearly two months with injury. richie james missed two months with injury. justyn ross missed two months with suspension and now is injured. watson missed time with injury. kelce has had nagging injuries all year long. so basically every single member of the chiefs' already awful pass catching corps has been or is injured this year except rashee rice.

pacheco has been out two separate times this year with injury (including vs the bills earlier this year). clyde edwards-helaire missed a game due to injury. 

the chiefs' starting left tackle donovan smith was out for over a month, then the backup LT wanya morris injured himself. (smith is now back).

aside from LB nick bolton's two-month injury and S bryan cook's season-ending injury, the chiefs have been remarkably healthy on defense this year however.

Are the first three guys you mentioned all expected to miss the bills game?

Are those the chiefs only injuries going into the game or are they missing anyone else?

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

My guess on Diggs, Cracked Ribs.

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Meniscus, hit it with Cortisone and lidocaine and play each week. Go do a clean-up after we win the Superbowl.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Meniscus tear is probably good news right? Isnt it common for guys to play through those?

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Meniscus, hit it with Cortisone and lidocaine and play each week. Go do a clean-up after we win the Superbowl.

I tore my meniscus, decided against surgery, and once the swelling subsided after a few days, I was back to my normal routine (running, golfing and basketball).  If it isn't a full tear, I can see Benford playing the remainder of the season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

My guess on Diggs, Cracked Ribs.

Either that or Rib cartilage which can be more painful but less dangerous to play with.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

You never wore any type of lace up boot or protection for it?

Played soccer but I partially tore my Achilles playing pickup basketball once when I jumped and landed on another person's foot and then when I played soccer after it healed up(no surgery thank God), I would get Achilles tendonitis so bad the next day it would feel like every time I took a step it was going to tear it was so tight.

Lace Up boot prevented it and for the next 5-7 years I played I wore it every game.

yeh no I never did... not sure they had those things at cvs the way they do now and my folks were not medical people so all I did was an ace bandage til swelling went down... which was never very comfortable so Id take it off as soon as possible and repeat the stupidity

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Agree 1

Playing through a meniscus tear is tough, depending what type. If it's a bucket-handle tear, the knee can lock up & you can't function the same even with painkillers. The report says it's a minor meniscus tear for Benford, so hopefully he can numb it & play through it & have surgery after the season.

There are 2 types of meniscus surgeries. Partial meniscectomy- they cut out the torn piece & it's a 6 week recovery. Or they can do a meniscus repair, which is a 6 month recovery. Repair is typically only done on people under age 25 or so, but Benford fits this age group. Hoping it truly is minor.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Eithercthatbor Rib cartilage which can be more painful but less dangerous to play with.

Yeah,agreed. Popping a freaking rib head hurts like hell too.

But I think we agree ribs of some sort. It would account  for drops

Just now, 947 said:

Playing through a meniscus tear is tough, depending what type. If it's a bucket-handle tear, the knee can lock up & you can't function the same even with painkillers. The report says it's a minor meniscus tear for Benford, so hopefully he can numb it & play through it & have surgery after the season.

There are 2 types of meniscus surgeries. Partial meniscectomy- they cut out the torn piece & it's a 6 week recovery. Or they can do a meniscus repair, which is a 6 month recovery. Repair is typically only done on people under age 25 or so, but Benford fits this age group. Hoping it truly is minor.

Meh Terry is rich, pay to put nanobots in there and fix it. 😁

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Any word on Dobson at all?

He injured the second D in his name....apparently it got twisted into a B, and he’s now “Dobson” instead of “Dodson”.😁

• Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

For whatever it is worth, a physical therapist on Twitter mentioned that from the video replay there did not appear to be any mechanism that would lead to a high ankle sprain. In that persons opinion, more likely a lower ankle sprain. 

• Like (+1) 1

LB core is trending towards Klein and Williams. For this game, I’m hopeful Williams speed will be an asset and I love his physicality. But no doubt losing Milano, Bernard and Dodson hurts. Really hoping Taron is available as he’s been an impactful player vs KC. 

The Bills really need their DL to dominate the trenches, shut down the run and get after Mahomes!  Rudolph had way too much time!

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Anything with Diggs? Seems he has been off and dealing with things for several weeks now.

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Anything with Diggs? Seems he has been off and dealing with things for several weeks now.

I don't think we'll be told what his deal is until after the season ends. Hopefully after a Super Bowl win. Seems like it could be something abdominal/back related, but that's just a guess.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

LB core is trending towards Klein and Williams. For this game, I’m hopeful Williams speed will be an asset and I love his physicality. But no doubt losing Milano, Bernard and Dodson hurts. Really hoping Taron is available as he’s been an impactful player vs KC. 

The Bills really need their DL to dominate the trenches, shut down the run and get after Mahomes!  Rudolph had way too much time!

Agreed - Beane has invested so heavily in DL depth, and (somewhat ironically) they are pretty healthy in that department. Might as well use the rotation to its mximum effect!

57 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Your info was spot on last time.

If Bernard is high ankle he's probably out at least two weeks. Waddle was pushing it when he came back that early. I am hoping it's a less serious one, but even then it portends well to a September 2024 return.

Any word in your sources about Rasul Douglas?

2 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Your info was spot on last time.

If Bernard is high ankle he's probably out at least two weeks. Waddle was pushing it when he came back that early. I am hoping it's a less serious one, but even then it portends well to a September 2024 return.

Any word in your sources about Rasul Douglas?

Taron Johnson is the odd one, checked for concussion, never declared out. 

You look at the contact on the play that he gets hurt on and it doesn't look abnormal. 

The hope has to be Benford and Douglas can shoot up their knees, and whatever Taron was shaking out on his hand works itself out. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Thanks man.  Good news on Spector and Benford.  Isn't Taron a concussion?  Looked like he wanted to go back in.

3 hours ago, eball said:

Thanks man.  Good news on Spector and Benford.  Isn't Taron a concussion?  Looked like he wanted to go back in.

Evaluated but never ruled in concussion protocol which is weird to me. But I think the Bills were never less than a 7 point lead so they might have wanted to play it safe.

EDIT: Now in concussion protocol

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

For whatever it is worth, a physical therapist on Twitter mentioned that from the video replay there did not appear to be any mechanism that would lead to a high ankle sprain. In that persons opinion, more likely a lower ankle sprain. 

I brought it up in another post, but I thought a high ankle sprain was the result of someone falling into your outside ankle and the foot/leg pushing inwards. What Patty had last year. Bernard’s looked like a severe lower sprain and having had one that looked an awful lot like the one he suffered, I’d be surprised if he’s back before the SB. Definitely can see him playing in the SB, but not the next 2 weeks. Of course I didn’t have an NFL training staff to rehab me, so maybe they can work some magic. 

Edited by Brand J

Just now, Brand J said:

I brought it up in another post, but I thought a high ankle sprain was the result of someone falling into your outside ankle and the foot/leg pushing inwards. What Patty had last year. Bernard’s looked like a severe lower sprain and having had that looked an awful lot like the one he suffered, I’d be surprised if he’s back before the SB. Definitely can see him playing in the SB, but not the next 2 weeks. Of course I didn’t have an NFL training staff to rehab me, so maybe they can work some magic. 

Yea it depends on the severity…we’ve seen guys react like their ankle needs to be amputated then it turns out to be pretty mild lol.  Ankles are so strange 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Street FA Linebackers

Cory Littleton
Jayon Brown
Tanner Vallejo

Cupboard pretty empty.

Jaylon Smith is on Pittsburg's practice squad. But could only be signed to the active 53 man roster.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.