Is anyone else a little frustrated by having to explain Lake Effect Snow to non WNYers?

Beck Water

No, the fact that some idiot posted a video showing light snow in some part of the Buffalo area does not mean the winter storm is “fake news” or that there isn’t real and sound public safety reason for a driving ban

Yes, “Lake effect snow” is a known and common phenomenon in Western New York.  School kids grow up knowing all about it.

Yes, it shows up very well on radar.  Heavy snow in one location and almost no snow a few miles away

Apparently I’m not alone:

Eric Wood started here, and basically ended telling people to “come see him” LOL

https://twitter.com/EWood70/status/1746242981999337816

I just hope Josh Allen opened his gate so it didn’t freeze shut or get snowed in, and I hope we don’t need Squirrel Winter’s QB Delivery Service

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I'm not a person over there or who's ever lived there, so I just get my info vicariously through you guys and even I thought it was dumb and annoying. 

But I also kind of loved it, go a ***** head and call Buffalo soft and pour gasoline on the fire for this team that ***** lived there through a blizzard that killed almost 50 ***** people and see what it ***** gets you.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I have a lot of empathy for humanity in general, but so many people are morons.

It doesn't surprise me that most people have never heard of "Lake Effect Snow" but it disappoints me how (willingly) obtuse so many of them can be even after hearing the explanation. 

Edited by Punch
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I peeked in on Chiefs Planet message board and most of the sister-lickers over there are calling us wusses (and worse) because of the  postponement.  Man, I hate Chiefs fans.

Edited by Peace Frog
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

But I also kind of loved it, go a ***** head and call Buffalo soft and pour gasoline on the fire for this team that ***** lived there through a blizzard that killed almost 50 ***** people and see what it ***** gets you.

This. If the boys can use it and come out as the more physical team, then the game is going to be a lot of fun for us

The chiefs part is most annoying to me though....as if we didn't put up the "perfect game" two years ago when it was like zero degrees in the playoffs 

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

No, the fact that some idiot posted a video showing light snow in some part of the Buffalo area does not mean the winter storm is “fake news” or that there isn’t real and sound public safety reason for a driving ban

Yes, “Lake effect snow” is a known and common phenomenon in Western New York.  School kids grow up knowing all about it.

Yes, it shows up very well on radar.  Heavy snow in one location and almost no snow a few miles away

Apparently I’m not alone:

Eric Wood started here, and basically ended telling people to “come see him” LOL

https://twitter.com/EWood70/status/1746242981999337816

I just hope Josh Allen opened his gate so it didn’t freeze shut or get snowed in, and I hope we don’t need Squirrel Winter’s QB Delivery Service

Tweeter is for twits even if they rename it X. 

I am sure Josh's neighbors will bail him out as they did the Bills last time Bills were snowed in.

A relative of mine carried a Bills player on his snowmobile to stadium.

• Thank you (+1) 1

IF you’ve never been IN a Lake Effect snow, you really don’t know anything about it.

Being that it’s normally an elongated but skinny rectangle,you can sometimes box it out. That is, when I-90 was once closed down from Batavia to the Pa border, I tried getting home to Toronto by heading North to the Lake and West through Lewiston. It worked.

The point being, that I went AROUND it, not that where it was- say Orchard Park, wasn’t a living, snow bomb hell!

The other time, I was driving down I-81 to Pa for Christmas from Watertown with my 9 month old baby and wife.I knew nada about ‘Lake Effects’. I crossed the border where there had been NO snow the night before. I intended to fill my gas tank up. Immediately noticed a lot of fresh fallen snow.

And then… it started. 

The next 2 exits off 81 were already blocked. I literally could not see the forest on the other side of the highway. We resorted to a contrived, slow dance via 1 half assed useable middle of the road lane. Flashers on, we would all stop every 15 minutes to snap the wipers, it was falling so fast. It was very cold, as well.

There was nobody to help us. No road crews, no cops, only the immediate strangers in front and behind! I was ***** scared, watching the gauge edge towards ‘E’. And hearing ‘Falalalala’… “less than an inch in Syracuse… all is well” on the radio. 🙄

Finally, we made it through and gassed up North of 90 somewhere. I said my prayers and had a sore neck for days,for the hours of squinting 1 inch away from the windshield.

People have no idea if they haven’t lived through one! 
NONE!

Edited by Billsatlastin2018
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I get the lake effect snow thing as I live outside of Niagara Falls Ontario. Seeing pictures of other parts of Buffalo not get hit as bad makes me question putting a stadium in Orchard Park was the best idea. 

• Agree 2

I have a simple and surprisingly quite effective of explaining Lake Effect Snow to people here in South Florida. Down here, especially in the summer we can have a situation where one area can have torrential downpours while the sun is shining less than a mile away as the rain bands come off the ocean. I used to live north of Syracuse and can remember many times driving home from work in bright sunshine and when I get past the Cicero exit of I-81 it was whiteout with heavy snow. When I explain it that way to the locals, they seem to understand.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, FTLBillsfan said:

I have a simple and surprisingly quite effective of explaining Lake Effect Snow to people here in South Florida. Down here, especially in the summer we can have a situation where one area can have torrential downpours while the sun is shining less than a mile away as the rain bands come off the ocean. I used to live north of Syracuse and can remember many times driving home from work in bright sunshine and when I get past the Cicero exit of I-81 it was whiteout with heavy snow. When I explain it that way to the locals, they seem to understand.

Years ago, when I lived in Pulaski but worked in Syracuse, driving home I was coming up on the Central Square exit.  At the bridge going over 81, it looked like a white curtain.  I'd see the cars in front of me go under the bridge and disappear, couldn't even see their lights, that's how dense it was in just a few feet.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

People have no idea if they haven’t lived through one! 
NONE!

This.

I live near Watertown, and have had to make the sojourn through Ontario lake effect on 81 too many times to recall on the way to Syracuse Airport.

You might THINK you know how to drive in snow, but until you've gone through whiteout effects on the lee of Erie or Ontario...well, you don't.  Nothing can prepare you for that.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I get more frustrated explaining that the state of New York  isn't just some large state with skyscrapers and huge amounts of traffic in every town and that there are things like farmland and trees.

I wish we could concede NYC and Lon G'island to NJ or Connecticut.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I’m more surprised by how many native WNYers don’t get it

That does surprise me, actually.

I grew up in Tonawanda/North Amherst.  We understood very clearly that when we were hearing on the TV about "Lake effect snow",  we would probably only get a few inches and would have school the next day.

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Grew up in Webster, NY. I was 5 minute bike riding distance from Lake Ontario.

Lake Effect snow is no joke.

Now I live in Hawai'i for a reason 😎

No offense but I would rather have lake affect snow than oozing lava

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.