The Bills And The NFL Need To Take Care of Their People.

YodaMan79

I don't live in the area anymore, but have family still in the WNY area.  My brother works security for the home games as fun side gig.  He loves interacting with the fans, and the environment.  Now he feels obligated to work the game because he knows they'll be short staffed.  He's ex-military (Marine), a good dude and a person of principle.  A trip back to Rochester in that weather as most of you know, is no joke.  Maybe I'm jaded, but at a minimum the part-time rank and file staff that make game-day happen should taken care of!  Would hazard compensation, or time and half be too much to ask for?  I can't get this out of my head.  The fact these organizations are willing to risk their employees safety/well being to keep their production on schedule, and not acknowledge peoples sacrifice is crazy.  For somewhere around $15 as an average hourly rate, the organization and league should be embarrassed.  

Sorry for the rant.  I guess this is just emblematic of society and business today. 

Bills...Do the right thing!  Compensate these people for going above and beyond!!!

Stay safe up there.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5
  • Dislike 1

This sums up the downside of capitalism. Everything is supply and demand. No matter how rich a company is, they pay the lowest they can to achieve the ends to a mean. So basically as long as people will take this job for $15 an hour, they will pay $15 an hour. If they can’t get people, they will raise it.

The higher profits, the more successful the corporation considers itself, as well as outside observers.

EDIT: Since I received so many barf emojis. My comment was neither an anti-capitalism post, nor a pro-corporation, strap-up your boots argument either. I'm fully in support of "taking care of your people." Everyone's interpretation of "being taken care of" is going to be subjective, however. This is just my view as to how the vast majority of companies are going to operate -  in their own best interest, and paying employees "market-rate."

Edited by CheshireCT
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BBFL said:

He can get a $5 raise for being an active shoveler 😛

Whats the rate for a passive shoveler ? Are there any work from home opportunities? 

• Haha (+1) 7

16 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

This sums up the downside of capitalism. Everything is supply and demand. No matter how rich a company is, they pay the lowest they can to achieve the ends to a mean. So basically as long as people will take this job for $15 an hour, they will pay $15 an hour. If they can’t get people, they will raise it.

The higher profits, the more successful the corporation considers itself, as well as outside observers.

Commonly referred to as greed…, 

• Agree 2

Just like when I bought my Bills winter coat years ago - that I still use, quality fabric I guess ha ha - it was made in Indonesia. NFL teams are making huge bank, yet outsourcing such work to pay super low wages, get it all imported back, etc. Yet they will bust our balls with patriotism, the environment and so on, while they do this themselves. As if a $150 coat that was suddenly $165 instead but made locally wouldn't sell as much. Or just a slightly lower profit share between owners and players.

Just like I was shocked when we leaned the Army was paid for all the exposure. I really thought the NFL did as PR and a goodwill gesture, and in exchange for the flyovers and all that. 

Better just focus on the game and the players and fans. Otherwise we can go cynical and disgusted in a flash.

• Like (+1) 2

Often the best way to not get slighted or treated poorly is not to work for them. Should the NFL or Bills pay laborers more? Of, course.

They don't have to though, and fans don't have to take on the side hustles or temporary gigs if they don't want to either.

For those ranting about Capitalism, yes, there are downsides. However, you can set up your home the way you like and just about all the major freedoms you and I have is the result of Capitalism.

For those of us that have lived in several other countries with less privilege, resources, opportunity, economic mobility, and access, we generally accept billionaires and gigantic entities like the NFLmaking it possible for fans to voluntarily make extra money to shovel snow.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, YodaMan79 said:

I don't live in the area anymore, but have family still in the WNY area.  My brother works security for the home games as fun side gig.  He loves interacting with the fans, and the environment.  Now he feels obligated to work the game because he knows they'll be short staffed.  He's ex-military (Marine), a good dude and a person of principle.  A trip back to Rochester in that weather as most of you know, is no joke.  Maybe I'm jaded, but at a minimum the part-time rank and file staff that make game-day happen should taken care of!  Would hazard compensation, or time and half be too much to ask for?  I can't get this out of my head.  The fact these organizations are willing to risk their employees safety/well being to keep their production on schedule, and not acknowledge peoples sacrifice is crazy.  For somewhere around $15 as an average hourly rate, the organization and league should be embarrassed.  

Sorry for the rant.  I guess this is just emblematic of society and business today. 

Bills...Do the right thing!  Compensate these people for going above and beyond!!!

Stay safe up there.  

would another $7.50 an hour make him safer?

24 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Just like when I bought my Bills winter coat years ago - that I still use, quality fabric I guess ha ha - it was made in Indonesia. NFL teams are making huge bank, yet outsourcing such work to pay super low wages, get it all imported back, etc. Yet they will bust our balls with patriotism, the environment and so on, while they do this themselves. As if a $150 coat that was suddenly $165 instead but made locally wouldn't sell as much. Or just a slightly lower profit share between owners and players.

Just like I was shocked when we leaned the Army was paid for all the exposure. I really thought the NFL did as PR and a goodwill gesture, and in exchange for the flyovers and all that. 

Better just focus on the game and the players and fans. Otherwise we can go cynical and disgusted in a flash.

NFL teams are not  outsourcing "such work" to sweat shops.  The companies that pay to put the logo on their garments do, like Nike. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think there’s a valid concern about the Chiefs game tonight because that is insanely cold. Dangerous cold especially for everyone that has to work the game. 

Buffalo will have the snow and that can be dangerous but temps in the 20’s isn’t bad. 

As long as the Bills can get people to do that for 15 dollars, things won’t change.

However I do agree with you. In these situations the Bills should be treating these employees like gold.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

would another $7.50 an hour make him safer?

NFL teams are not  outsourcing "such work" to sweat shops.  The companies that pay to put the logo on their garments do, like Nike. 

Great points, WEO

Have we really gotten to the point where at-will work for twice the federal minimum wage (and equal to ny min wage), is somehow cruel?

I'm just not getting it.

My feelings probably ruffle some feathers, but people in other countries LITERALLY (and not literally in the commonly used colloquial sense) are DYING and risking everything to get here for easy (I don't mean easy phisically, but it's non-skilled) work like this.

Honestly it's a bit of a straw man argument...

Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything. As mentioned above supply and demand is king. If there aren't workers at that price, they will raise it. So assuming the stadium gets shoveled, that means there were enough people willing to do it for that price, and everyone complaining about having to shovel doesn't actually have to shovel at all.

• Like (+1) 1

It's not the Bills controlling what the snow shovelers make or get. The Bills contract things like this out. Right now the contract is with Jani King. So they are the ones who set the rate and perks. Jani King could ask the Bills for tickets, but in the past, these Janitorial companies never went that far. Coffee and Hot Chocolate are all they ask for. Out of the 5 years I worked for the janitorial contractors during the Super Bowl years, we had a crew on stand-by on the field before the AFC Championship game against Joe Montana and the Chiefs. We weren't needed, so they brought all of us into the stands and watched the game. Usually, the crews are asked to leave the stadium hours before pre-game warmups and aren't allowed in until at least 2 hours after the game to pick up the trash. 

2 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Great points, WEO

Have we really gotten to the point where at-will work for twice the federal minimum wage (and equal to ny min wage), is somehow cruel?

I'm just not getting it.

My feelings probably ruffle some feathers, but people in other countries LITERALLY (and not literally in the commonly used colloquial sense) are DYING and risking everything to get here for easy (I don't mean easy phisically, but it's non-skilled) work like this.

Honestly it's a bit of a straw man argument...

Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything. As mentioned above supply and demand is king. If there aren't workers at that price, they will raise it. So assuming the stadium gets shoveled, that means there were enough people willing to do it for that price, and everyone complaining about having to shovel doesn't actually have to shovel at all.

I just seemed an odd complaint: hazard pay for those getting paid to be there, yet 10's of thousands will be paying to be there, exposed to the same hazard.  Maybe they deserve some sort of refund for showing up?

12 minutes ago, Breakout Squad said:

I think there’s a valid concern about the Chiefs game tonight because that is insanely cold. Dangerous cold especially for everyone that has to work the game. 

Buffalo will have the snow and that can be dangerous but temps in the 20’s isn’t bad. 

Yup!  Temps at the start of the game are supposed to already be in the negatives, with windchills around -30.

That's gotta be a challenge for players too, not simply wanting the game to end ASAP.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Beast said:

As long as the Bills can get people to do that for 15 dollars, things won’t change.

However I do agree with you. In these situations the Bills should be treating these employees like gold.

They were short staffed for the NE home game.  I’m wondering how many of those workers are going to endure the aggravation of traveling to this one.  And how many can make it there.  Could be a long line at the gates tomorrow. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

They could easily put in their legal documents that the companies they hire can't do that.  If I hire the mafia to take care of someone, and said mafia decided to interpret that as offing or kidnaping that person even if I didn't specify it, I'm not exactly clean in that situation! Way too easy a way to take off responsibility. They know what they're doing (or not doing).

2 hours ago, YodaMan79 said:

I guess this is just emblematic of society and business today. 

Ding, Ding, Ding

The reason it’s called the Almighty Dollar is because it truly is sacrosanct above ALL else. 
   People can be talked into anything because of it. This is sad.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Tell him the stories about the Vikings and to man up

"Well, one Buffalo fan bet $5000 on the Vikings when the Bills shellacked Minnesota in 2018.  We still don't know if it was true, or if his wife killed him."

Does that qualify?

3 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

stop hate

inspire change

it takes all of us

3 hours ago, YodaMan79 said:

Stay safe up there.  

Despite the fact that Pegula could pay for a "hazardous duty" bonus like you suggest easily, from the money he earned last night, while sleeping, from 2:37am to 2:39am, I'm guessing your brother won't see a dime of any such pay increase/bonus.

It's how these guys roll.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

They could easily put in their legal documents that the companies they hire can't do that.  If I hire the mafia to take care of someone, and said mafia decided to interpret that as offing or kidnaping that person even if I didn't specify it, I'm not exactly clean in that situation! Way too easy a way to take off responsibility. They know what they're doing (or not doing).

well then every fan who buys the merchandise is as complicit as “the NFL”

where does it end? Are the Bills complicit with animal cruelty for allowing venders to sell chicken fingers produced in grotesque factory farms?

shoukd they not let you flash you iPhone e ticket  because of the insane secondary market transaction fees or that the phones are made in Chinese sweatshops? 

3 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

I disagree.  That's really up to the company's leadership.  There are good and bad businesses to work for from an employee perspective.  I'm a peon in the grand scheme of things, but my employer has a 7.5 hour workday, I get 4 weeks paid vacation, another week of Care time, good healthcare, can take off anytime I need to on short notice, great office culture, etc.  Good employees will flee a company that doesn't take care of them.

4 hours ago, YodaMan79 said:

Stay safe up there.  

I’ll agree with the sentiment here, but this is business. Your brother is the good guy FOR SURE, but it’s his choice to travel. If he can’t do it, then the business will  hire someone who will. 

In a more complicated situation, the NY governor, in my opinion, is being intrusive and not allowing constituents to make up their own mind about attending the game. 

So by supporting the league and team to accommodate your brother, you’d also be in-line to suspend a game that’s weather is causing issues with his transportation. Happy? 

I’m not. This game being moved STINKS. I want to throw up. Now…. The Bills have weather restrictions every goddam year???

Wish the NFL and the Bills just told the governor to beat it! and blow the whistle on her stupid little agenda. 

34 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

well then every fan who buys the merchandise is as complicit as “the NFL”

where does it end? Are the Bills complicit with animal cruelty for allowing venders to sell chicken fingers produced in grotesque factory farms?

shoukd they not let you flash you iPhone e ticket  because of the insane secondary market transaction fees or that the phones are made in Chinese sweatshops? 

If you dont see the difference between NLF merch and their own stuff to those examples, well, too bad. You "win" this one.

3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Yup!  Temps at the start of the game are supposed to already be in the negatives, with windchills around -30.

That's gotta be a challenge for players too, not simply wanting the game to end ASAP.  

If there’s one player who doesn’t want to suit up and play this playoff game (believe me.. they’d be in the minority) with a shot at a Lombardi Trophy at the end of the road, I’d cut his ass tomorrow. McDaniels should be paying close attention to every single player and coach tonight for weakness. That won’t get it down intimately. 

8 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

If there’s one player who doesn’t want to suit up and play this playoff game (believe me.. they’d be in the minority) with a shot at a Lombardi Trophy at the end of the road, I’d cut his ass tomorrow. McDaniels should be paying close attention to every single player and coach tonight for weakness. That won’t get it down intimately. 

Having said that, they're humans, not cyborgs.

Has nothing to do with wanting to play.  Has to do with how they play.  

3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

You'd be surprised how little it really affects you once you actually start playing

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.