**Breaking News** Pete Carroll out in Seattle

• ChevyVanMiller changed the title to **Breaking News** Pete Carroll out in Seattle
10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's crazy to me he's 72 years old.  

After the debacle he was part of at USC, he had a good run with the Seahawks... Enjoy life Pete...

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Did you know Pete coached football at UB long ago?

Now that you mention it, yes. He was also the DB coach for the Bills under Kay Stephenson in ‘84.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Now that you mention it, yes. He was also the DB coach for the Bills under Kay Stephenson in ‘84.

You're right. I was wrong. It was the Bills.  I'm thinking of another famous coach who passed through UB.

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Here are highlights of Kay Stevenson's last game as Bills coach. I was there as a kid, and I remember fans wearing bags on their heads and serenading Kay with "Goodbye Kay" to the tune of some old Vaudville or pub song.

32 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You're right. I was wrong. It was the Bills.  I'm thinking of another famous coach who passed through UB.

Buddy Ryan was D line coach in the early sixties. 

• Like (+1) 1

He obviously made the mistake in the Super Bowl and that will haunt him forever. But he has managed to do a lot in Seattle without usually having very good QB play. He's one of the few guys that gets the players coach label but also has held together a franchise for a long time. I doubt Seattle will do better TBH. But Pete is also getting older, hopefully he can step back and enjoy life. 

Like Belichik, still think Carroll is a good coach despite his age.

But certainly get why the Seahawks want to go a different direction given the disappointing end to their season and as good as a story Geno Smith is he might not be the answer there going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

That's gonna hurt.  Unlike the Belichick situation, Carroll was the reason this team was as successful as it was.  Don't need to look any further than Russell Wilson and Geno Smith having success here (and Russ' downfall with Denver).

I think Seattle is gonna have a tough season.  The locals want to draft Penix.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Wow.

7 vacancies so far, perhaps more.  Never seen a post-season like this.

Carroll can still coach, but even though he's a youthful 72, he's 72.  In a division where Seattle is chasing San Fran and LA.

Mike Vrabel, a mere 48 years of age, should have his pick of places to land after Tennessee's incredible blunder.  

I remember seeing him on this giant bike on the beach in Cali. Seemed like the happiest man on the planet. Dude has found the foundation of youth but I’m shocked at how old he is. 

a legit great coach who has nothing left to prove. He is still is one of the best coaches in the league. Seattle is about to get a huge wake up call. 

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Belichick now the oldest coach in the league.

And sexiest. 

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Like Belichik, still think Carroll is a good coach despite his age.

But certainly get why the Seahawks want to go a different direction given the disappointing end to their season and as good as a story Geno Smith is he might not be the answer there going forward.

Belichick the GM killed Belichick the coach. He is one of the worst GMs in the league. If he focuses on coaching, he is still one of the best. 

• Agree 1

Good old Pete, the guy who purposely ran up the score and put up 50 pts on the Bills in 2012 when they played in Toronto. Ah, the Toronto series, that's a part of Bills history we all would like to forget.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, sullim4 said:

That's gonna hurt.  Unlike the Belichick situation, Carroll was the reason this team was as successful as it was.  Don't need to look any further than Russell Wilson and Geno Smith having success here (and Russ' downfall with Denver).

I think Seattle is gonna have a tough season.  The locals want to draft Penix.

He's won one playoff game in the last seven years.  My guess is he was canned. 

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I remember seeing him on this giant bike on the beach in Cali. Seemed like the happiest man on the planet. Dude has found the foundation of youth but I’m shocked at how old he is. 

a legit great coach who has nothing left to prove. He is still is one of the best coaches in the league. Seattle is about to get a huge wake up call. 

And sexiest. 

Belichick the GM killed Belichick the coach. He is one of the worst GMs in the league. If he focuses on coaching, he is still one of the best. 

I think Belichick the GM was responsible for the NE dynasty more than Belichick the coach was. 

He drafted, acquired and dumped A LOT of players at the perfect time. 

The “he wasn’t a good GM” narrative has always boggled my mind. 

From castoffs like Welker to guys in their prime like Moss, he pushed all the right buttons. 

The list of major contributors and Hall of Famers is long. 

And his draft record isn’t nearly as bad as many make it out to be. In fact, it’s very good. 

4 hours ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

Wasn’t the narrative from most media that Carrol wanted to continue to coach?     How amicable could this situation be….

I watched his press conference today. Sounded like he was forced out, but it was amicable.  

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think Belichick the GM was responsible for the NE dynasty more than Belichick the coach was. 

From castoffs like Welker to guys in their prime like Moss, he pushed all the right buttons. 

And his draft record isn’t nearly as bad as many make it out to be. In fact, it’s very good. 

As a guy who still just coaches and analyzes football for a living I think it's two-fold

Bill belichick is an amazing coach....... Multiple systems, has rewrote his defense multiple times over the years... Amazing game planner

As a GM.. his pro personnel moves have been top notch... he knows the NFL and his guys and what he needs... He knows when to get rid of a guy rather than hold on too late... he has a tremendous feel for NFL free agents

He's made amazing pro personnel decisions... He's an average drafter

Yes he's been drafting at the back end of drafts for 20 years years ... Not easy ... And he has a good eye for defensive backs and hybrid linebackers and lineman... and he has moved the game forward into the 21st century

Bill belichick is phenomenal... As a pro personnel decision maker he is top notch... As a drafter, he solidly average but in a bad position

I think making the playoffs with Mac Jones a few years ago was legendary.... He's the best game planner I've ever seen

And FYI Wes welker was not a cast off... he literally traded a second round pick for a 5 ft 11 wide receiver which is ludicrous compensation

Edited by Buffalo716

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

His last 5 or so drafts have been horrible. He can’t get guys like Moss to come play with Bailey Zappe. BB might have been good a good Gm, when he had a HoF QB as his number one recruiter 

8 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

His last 5 or so drafts have been horrible. He can’t get guys like Moss to come play with Bailey Zappe. BB might have been good a good Gm, when he had a HoF QB as his number one recruiter 

The fact is that he got the right players to complement his HOF QB and won 6 rings in doing so. 

We got Von Miller and Cody Ford. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

The fact is that he got the right players to complement his HOF QB and won 6 rings in doing so. 

We got Von Miller and Cody Ford. 

Don't bash Beane tho lol

Beane has been a master in late rounds and basically hit on early rounds... Only Elam is his only first round question and he can still he a good player 

He hit on lots of picks

He had a couple drafts that looked semi rough... But he gets contributors all over in every round 

24 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Don't bash Beane tho lol

Beane has been a master in late rounds and basically hit on early rounds... Only Elam is his only first round question and he can still he a good player 

He hit on lots of picks

He had a couple drafts that looked semi rough... But he gets contributors all over in every round 

I am a Beane fan and he has made some solid moves. 

But if we’re talking historically, Belichick has out GM’d him by a very long shot. 

And re: Welker, before Belichick acquired him, he was JAG for 3 seasons. Two seasons with Miami in which he had about 1100 receiving. 

He came to NE and had multiple 1000+ yard seasons. 

It was a great acquisition and one of many for Belichick. 

Last year, Beane snagged John Brown and Cole Beasley to shore up the playoff roster. 

It’s really not close. 

The only thing they have in common is having elite QBs. 

One of them knew how to leverage that so far. 

Not trying to pile on Beane, but it makes me laugh when Bills fans (not you) try to sell the “Belichick wasn’t a great coach and was a horrible GM,” story. 

The Lombardis say otherwise. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.