Steelers @ Bills. Monday, January 15th at 4:30pm.

Einstein

22 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Just FYI, that script has seem to flip (for the Steelers) over the past three games.

Last week: 155 rushing yards

Week before: 202 rushing yards

Week before that: 113 rushing yards

They seem to have found something in their rushing game over the past three weeks that they didn’t have most of the season.

Rudolph opened up the passing game which helps the run game get going.

• Like (+1) 1

The Steelers are a mystery wrapped in an enigma to me.

They’re 28th in the league in scoring offense, 22nd in NY/A, 19th in Y/A.

They don’t turn the ball over much.  Very disciplined team on turnovers.  They don’t really have a QB.

Yes, they have a good defense and they’re near the top of the league in take-aways, but sooner or later you gotta score.

So I watch their games, and shake my head and wonder how they’re gonna manage that winning record for Tomlin this season.  And yet, at the end of the season, when it’s playoff time, there they are, and I know that if the Bills don’t keep their act together 

i was looking again at their schedule.  Teams that they’ve beaten: include Ravens (2x, exactly the same score when they were or weren’t trying); Rams, Browns (split), Packers - all playoff teams.  Also beat Bengals (2x) and Seahawks, playoff-wannabes who were in it close to the end of the season.  Then they lost to 49ers, Browns (split), Texans - all playoff teams.  OK.  But they were beaten by the lowly Patriots and Cardinals, two teams well out of it.

They actually remind me a bit of the Bills this season, a team that can defeat anyone, but that can also lose to anyone.  They win or lose in different ways though.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Seems happydays source had the injuries right.  I imagine Dodson is not playing.  I wonder if elam plays?

Not sure a CB who can't tackle who hasn't played in three months would be of any use in a game where the Steelers are going to run the ball 50 times... 

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The Steelers are a mystery wrapped in an enigma to me.

They’re 28th in the league in scoring offense, 22nd in NY/A, 19th in Y/A.

They don’t turn the ball over much.  Very disciplined team on turnovers.  They don’t really have a QB.

Yes, they have a good defense and they’re near the top of the league in take-aways, but sooner or later you gotta score.

So I watch their games, and shake my head and wonder how they’re gonna manage that winning record for Tomlin this season.  And yet, at the end of the season, when it’s playoff time, there they are, and I know that if the Bills don’t keep their act together 

i was looking again at their schedule.  Teams that they’ve beaten: include Ravens (2x, exactly the same score when they were or weren’t trying); Rams, Browns (split), Packers - all playoff teams.  Also beat Bengals (2x) and Seahawks, playoff-wannabes who were in it close to the end of the season.  Then they lost to 49ers, Browns (split), Texans - all playoff teams.  OK.  But they were beaten by the lowly Patriots and Cardinals, two teams well out of it.

They actually remind me a bit of the Bills this season, a team that can defeat anyone, but that can also lose to anyone.  They win or lose in different ways though.

Their win against the Browns is the game where they lost Nick Chubb for the season. The Steelers won on a Watt fumble return. That was their season in a microcosm. For the majority of the season, they were winning with a negative point differential. They were the opposite of the Bills. They were not losing games that they should have won, but scratching out wins while being outgained and outplayed. I know that everyone here is worried, but they really are the weakest team in the AFC playoff field and if the Jags hadn't choked like they did they would have cleaned out their lockers on Monday. That being said, they are a playoff team that does certain things well and the Bills could lose this game just like any team can lose any game.

• Like (+1) 7

25 minutes ago, theAteam said:

Interestingly, while Rudolph has racked up a respectable 719 passing yards in 3 games, 40% of those yards are before the catch, and 60% of them are YAC.

Given that he is throwing downfield 12% of the time, that suggests a goodly number of his passing yards may be short passes to the flat or screens which are sometimes considered an “extension of the run game”

• Agree 1

Sorry about pasting this here but not much activity on TBD Ticket board. Long time member & STH of 4 tix and know some of you. Going to the game this weekend with 2 of my tix and have my 35 yr lower bowl seats available due to friend’s sickness. Want a Bills fan to have them rather than sell where a Steelers fan can snag them. Will be very reasonable on a price. Here’s the post and will delete this post in 24 hrs if no takers & post them for sale. Here’s link of my post.

On 1/9/2024 at 2:30 PM, No_Matter_What said:

Problem with 2nd int was that he could've easily* get the first down himself, or at least that is how I remember it.

*I am not saying easily for any other QB, but we are talking Josh "I am bigger and stronger than any of you" Allen

Josh had Kincaid on the left sideline for the first down.  I will say for that, it’s 4th and 2 and throwing an end zone INT is no worse than a punt whereas trying for Kincaid and missing would give the opponent very favorable field position.

The first interception was bad though.  At this point in the season, the QB and the #2 WR need to be on the same page.

Edited by Beck Water

14 minutes ago, BrettFavre said:

Not sure a CB who can't tackle who hasn't played in three months would be of any use in a game where the Steelers are going to run the ball 50 times... 

Gee I don't know maybe because they are going to be without another cb in Douglas?  

and spare me your elam can't tackle nonsense.  

We have no idea what the steelers are going to do.  

I think that an extremely windy game still limits the Steelers more than it does the Bills.

For one thing, Josh Allen's passes should theoretically cut through the wind much better than Mason Rudolph's, so the opportunity to pass the ball effectively seems greater for Buffalo than Pittsburgh.

Additionally, Josh's legs can and should be a very effective weapon on days like Sunday. When it's bitter cold and the wind is whipping, no one wants to tackle a 6'5" 240 lb freight train running at them.

If the weather on Sunday and Pittsburgh's predilections want to make this an old school, smash 'em up slopfest, then the Bills need to be ready. Make Josh's legs the primary mode of offense. Run it right at them. Be physical, be proud, and set the tone.

All of that said...I'm terrified of this game. I don't know how anyone could've watched the recent Pats and Chargers games and not conclude that this is the exact same type of thing, where the Bills could potentially play down to the level of their opposition. Add in the way that bad weather levels a playing field, and the way that Pittsburgh's D has given Allen fits at times in his career and, well....I'm not exactly predicting a Bills blowout.

38 minutes ago, theAteam said:

I'm just wondering have Jones and Joseph in middle of running game. But not sure if it helps or hurt the pass d. Might be windy Sunday 

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

12 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

Sorry about pasting this here but not much activity on TBD Ticket board. Long time member & STH of 4 tix and know some of you. Going to the game this weekend with 2 of my tix and have my 35 yr lower bowl seats available due to friend’s sickness. Want a Bills fan to have them rather than sell where a Steelers fan can snag them. Will be very reasonable on a price. Here’s the post and will delete this post in 24 hrs if no takers & post them for sale. Here’s link of my post.

Mr. Info, that is nice of you and although I don’t believe I will be making it to the game I just had to mention your seats in 113 are in the same location as my dad’s tickets back in the day (row 12 and 13).

I’m sorry…just got me thinking about him and those days as kid going to games.

I miss him and he would love this.  He and my mom have great seats above.  I just wish I could enjoy it with them.

Go Bills.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

The only thing that anybody watching that cares about is Orchard Park, and is the one town that channel 4 leaves off of their map.

Orchard Park is right there on the maps. You can see the bands going across it. It’s just not labeled.

The weather has turned this game into a literal coin flip.  

Incredible that we are still dealing with this in 2024, and Pegula has committed to relying on mother nature for the rest of his ownership with not footing the bill for a roof on new stadium.

Bills should have got a dome 20 years ago.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Incredible that we are still dealing with this in 2024, and Pegula has committed to relying on mother nature for the rest of his ownership with not footing the bill for a roof on new stadium.

Do you want some Kleenex for your tears ? Go post in a weather forum 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Gee I don't know maybe because they are going to be without another cb in Douglas?  

and spare me your elam can't tackle nonsense.  

We have no idea what the steelers are going to do.  

Elam can't tackle. If it indeed snows like it's forecasted to right now, we'll be playing the heaviest personnel we got to match Pittsburgh's jumbo sets.

6 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Yes, literal coin flip.  Either that or we're 10 point favorites...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Both teams have to play in it so no excuses. The Bills better be ready to "man up" for a 3-hour fist fight type of game. The Steelers with Tomlin bring the physical style of play. Their entire division does as well.

Edited by Gregg

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

the only team we lost to in the playoffs was the eagles and we should have won that one.

any team we played in the playoffs we beat.

5-1 is pretty darn good against playoff teams.

Time to make 9-1, starting with the Squeelers.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Both teams have to play in it so no excuses. The Bills better be ready to "man up" for a 3-hour fist fight type of game. The Steelers with Tomlin bring the physical style of play. Their entire division does as well.

This is why we need to hope KC wins.

The road to the playoffs could have to go through the AFCN. Steelers, Cleveland, Baltimore makes it seems like a Tysons punch out gauntlet. 

We need to let the browns and Ravens play each other to beat each other up.

We don't need our players beaten. But we match up well to the Browns and could beat them. And if we play our best football we can beat the Ravens, too.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Just FYI, that script has seem to flip (for the Steelers) over the past three games.

They seem to have found something in their rushing game over the past three weeks that they didn’t have most of the season.

Yeah, and not coincidentally, they have looked like a much better team those last three weeks.  They looked like one of the worst teams in the league the three weeks before that (crushed by the Colts, beaten by Patriots and Cardinals).  They're a really weird team in a weird NFL year.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Not discrediting the Steelers, but...

1. Last week: Baltimore mostly backups

2. 2 weeks ago: Hawks have been horrible against the run down the stretch.  200+ 2x and 160 in their last 3

3. 3 weeks ago: 30 for 113 against Cincy is OK.  Nothing special, ypc wise and they hit some splash plays early

But to your point and what alot of folks saying, the key is shutting down their run game.  I just wouldn't say they "found" anything.  They've been solid most of the year, with Najee and Warren.  Just recently Rudolph has hit some key passes, and not turned it over.

Trenches and turnover margin likely will be the key, as usual:

1. Our OL: I'd say "even", with Watt out.

2. Our DL: biggest matchup/most pivotal, and IMO we have slightly better talent.  We need to win here 

3. Turnover margin: Steelers have best in NFL, play smart/opportunistic on defense.  Watt missing is huge in pass rush/turnovers.  Josh just needs to play smart.  Good comes with the bad, but he just can't have multiple turnovers

I'd say we win by 6-8, if above holds true.  10+ if we win the turnover margin

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

I'm curious to see if the design of the new stadium does in fact keep the wind down inside of the stadium. Cold and some precipitation is one thing, but the insane wind is what really mucks up these games.

2 hours ago, Low Positive said:

There seems to be a narrative building around here that Pittsbugh is a run-first team and has a better rushing attack than the Bills. Let's take a look at the numbers, shall we?

2023 Stats

STEELERS: 2010 RUSHING YARDS ON 487 ATTEMPTS

BILLS: 2212 RUSHING YARDS ON 512 ATTEMPTS

Your 2023 Buffalo Bills have the 5th most rushing attempts in the NFL. The Bills also rank 8th in YPC. In other words, the Bills have been a better rushing team than the Steelers this year. I know that doesn't fit historical reputations or the popular narrative, but those are the facts. 

Speaking for only myself, that's not how I'm looking at it.  I'm looking at it from the angle that the Steelers are better suited to run in siht weather.  

For starters, remove Allen's rushing yards from those.  Not sure we need to turn him into a RB in that slop either.  But let's compare the primary ball carriers for both teams.  

Cook, who has 1,122 rushing yards and 2 rushing TDs.  

Najee Harris, who has 1,035 and 8 rushing TDs. 

Jaylen Warren, who has 784 yards and 4 rushing TDs, in 0 starts.  

If there's a false narrative, it's that for some strange reason Cook's rushing game is flourishing under Brady.  It isn't.  Looking at merely the other six games besides that career-best outlier of the Dallas game, anomalous to be sure, Cook's posted the following rushing games: 

17 for 73

16 for 43 

10 for 58 

20 for 70 

16 for 48

13 for 36 

That's a combined 92 for 328, and 3.6 YPC.  Also, 0 rushing TDs.  So yeah, if Allen is going to contribute to all of the goal-line carries and TDs, sure, our rushing game may be better.  Not sure that's where we need to have Allen however, and the fact that the team is still seemingly option-less at the goal line should be disturbing after seven seasons like that.  

Furthermore, look at Cook's last few games.  He's averaged 3.1 YPC.  His next three best rushing games besides the Dallas game were all under Dorsey, not Brady.  Just sayin' there, for purposes of squelching a false narrative.  

7 of our rushing TDs under Brady not including that Dallas game, were by Allen.  I thought we were trying to protect Allen more.  Scrambling and running in the open field is a whole lot different than running into a pile on a regular basis, but more disturbing is that the team cannot seem to find a way to do it w/o rushing Allen.  

Either way, that trend is not a positive one, neither is our offensive scoring trend of fewer than 20 PPG over the past three games, not exactly against the league's elite defenses either.  Yeah yeah, dropped passes, etc., we get it, but we've been crying about those for years.  In fact, it'll be quite interesting how the team plays without Davis if he can't go.  I'm curious what the lamenting will be about then.  

Meanwhile, Harris posted his two best and very good games, and three of his top-five on the season, in the past two and three weeks respectively with Rudolph at QB.  3 rushing TDs in the last two games and as a team, their 2nd and 3rd best rushing games on the season the last two games.  

So what this seemingly comes down to is Allen running the ball for us near the goal line, Cook doing it in the open field where he's not been good except for one game under Brady, and two RBs that are hot as a tandem and are legitimate 3-down backs fully capable and if not even suited to playing the kind of football that will require less stable footing in the open field.  I hope we gear up right, as I recall, in last season's playoffs I think it was, the team stated that they didn't outfit the players with the proper cleats, ... for a home game.  

So we'll see.  But if this comes down to an inability to throw the ball, much as that New England game a number of years ago where they threw what, two, three passes or something like that all game, it's a stretch to say that conditions like that favor us.  That's also not to say that you have to avoid passing, but in high winds the likelihood of TOs increases significantly.  

We'll see.  But this love for Brady in defense of McD is blurring a lot of peoples' objectivity.  In fact, we're doing the exact opposite that we said we should be doing to keep Allen healthy, not only for the season, but for many seasons.  He already has a shoulder injury.  Doing all of the goal-line rushing is insanity over the long haul.  Open field, yes, let him run and scramble, but dang if we, after six seasons, can't find a decent goal line RB.  

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I think that an extremely windy game still limits the Steelers more than it does the Bills.

For one thing, Josh Allen's passes should theoretically cut through the wind much better than Mason Rudolph's, so the opportunity to pass the ball effectively seems greater for Buffalo than Pittsburgh.

Additionally, Josh's legs can and should be a very effective weapon on days like Sunday. When it's bitter cold and the wind is whipping, no one wants to tackle a 6'5" 240 lb freight train running at them.

If the weather on Sunday and Pittsburgh's predilections want to make this an old school, smash 'em up slopfest, then the Bills need to be ready. Make Josh's legs the primary mode of offense. Run it right at them. Be physical, be proud, and set the tone.

All of that said...I'm terrified of this game. I don't know how anyone could've watched the recent Pats and Chargers games and not conclude that this is the exact same type of thing, where the Bills could potentially play down to the level of their opposition. Add in the way that bad weather levels a playing field, and the way that Pittsburgh's D has given Allen fits at times in his career and, well....I'm not exactly predicting a Bills blowout.

I mean, the mind and snow are variables that I don't like, but even if we are breaking it down I still like our chances if it's a messy game. Josh has time this week to get used to the wind because it's happening locally (I'm not there, just relying on reports). We also know Brady is not afraid to get into Jumbo packages to run, and I do think we can run on them even in a slog.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Not discrediting the Steelers, but...

1. Last week: Baltimore mostly backups

2. 2 weeks ago: Hawks have been horrible against the run down the stretch.  200+ 2x and 160 in their last 3

3. 3 weeks ago: 30 for 113 against Cincy is OK.  Nothing special, ypc wise and they hit some splash plays early

But to your point and what alot of folks saying, the key is shutting down their run game.  I just wouldn't say they "found" anything.  They've been solid most of the year, with Najee and Warren.  Just recently Rudolph has hit some key passes, and not turned it over.

Trenches and turnover margin likely will be the key, as usual:

1. Our OL: I'd say "even", with Watt out.

2. Our DL: biggest matchup/most pivotal, and IMO we have slightly better talent.  We need to win here 

3. Turnover margin: Steelers have best in NFL, play smart/opportunistic on defense.  Watt missing is huge in pass rush/turnovers.  Josh just needs to play smart.  Good comes with the bad, but he just can't have multiple turnovers

I'd say we win by 6-8, if above holds true.  10+ if we win the turnover margin

If the Bills run the same game plan, and Josh the same approach, as against the Cowboys, then they should win.

9 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Speaking for only myself, that's not how I'm looking at it.  I'm looking at it from the angle that the Steelers are better suited to run in siht weather.  

For starters, remove Allen's rushing yards from those.  Not sure we need to turn him into a RB in that slop either.  But let's compare the primary ball carriers for both teams.  

Cook, who has 1,122 rushing yards and 2 rushing TDs.  

Najee Harris, who has 1,035 and 8 rushing TDs. 

Jaylen Warren, who has 784 yards and 4 rushing TDs, in 0 starts.  

If there's a false narrative, it's that for some strange reason Cook's rushing game is flourishing under Brady.  It isn't.  Looking at merely the other six games besides that career-best outlier of the Dallas game, anomalous to be sure, Cook's posted the following rushing games: 

17 for 73

16 for 43 

10 for 58 

20 for 70 

16 for 48

13 for 36 

That's a combined 92 for 328, and 3.6 YPC.  Also, 0 rushing TDs.  So yeah, if Allen is going to contribute to all of the goal-line carries and TDs, sure, our rushing game may be better.  Not sure that's where we need to have Allen however, and the fact that the team is still seemingly option-less at the goal line should be disturbing after seven seasons like that.  

Furthermore, look at Cook's last few games.  He's averaged 3.1 YPC.  His next three best rushing games besides the Dallas game were all under Dorsey, not Brady.  Just sayin' there, for purposes of squelching a false narrative.  

7 of our rushing TDs under Brady not including that Dallas game, were by Allen.  I thought we were trying to protect Allen more.  Scrambling and running in the open field is a whole lot different than running into a pile on a regular basis, but more disturbing is that the team cannot seem to find a way to do it w/o rushing Allen.  

Either way, that trend is not a positive one, neither is our offensive scoring trend of fewer than 20 PPG over the past three games, not exactly against the league's elite defenses either.  Yeah yeah, dropped passes, etc., we get it, but we've been crying about those for years.  In fact, it'll be quite interesting how the team plays without Davis if he can't go.  I'm curious what the lamenting will be about then.  

Meanwhile, Harris posted his two best and very good games, and three of his top-five on the season, in the past two and three weeks respectively with Rudolph at QB.  3 rushing TDs in the last two games and as a team, their 2nd and 3rd best rushing games on the season the last two games.  

So what this seemingly comes down to is Allen running the ball for us near the goal line, Cook doing it in the open field where he's not been good except for one game under Brady, and two RBs that are hot as a tandem and are legitimate 3-down backs fully capable and if not even suited to playing the kind of football that will require less stable footing in the open field.  I hope we gear up right, as I recall, in last season's playoffs I think it was, the team stated that they didn't outfit the players with the proper cleats, ... for a home game.  

So we'll see.  But if this comes down to an inability to throw the ball, much as that New England game a number of years ago where they threw what, two, three passes or something like that all game, it's a stretch to say that conditions like that favor us.  That's also not to say that you have to avoid passing, but in high winds the likelihood of TOs increases significantly.  

We'll see.  But this love for Brady in defense of McD is blurring a lot of peoples' objectivity.  In fact, we're doing the exact opposite that we said we should be doing to keep Allen healthy, not only for the season, but for many seasons.  He already has a shoulder injury.  Doing all of the goal-line rushing is insanity over the long haul.  Open field, yes, let him run and scramble, but dang if we, after six seasons, can't find a decent goal line RB.  

I don't know about you, but the idea of leaning heavily on James Cook in a snowy, windy, slippery game like this makes me very uncomfortable.  I'd probably start Fournette... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

I don't know about you, but the idea of leaning heavily on James Cook in a snowy, windy, slippery game like this makes me very uncomfortable.  I'd probably start Fournette... 

Yep.

Said this earlier in this thread, but...

Fournette has fumbled four times in his entire career. One fumble per 286 carries.

Cook has fumbled four times THIS SEASON. One fumble per 59 carries.

Add to that the physical nature of Fournette's game and the fact that defenders won't wanna tackle a guy like that on a 20 degree day, and Fournette oughta be getting half of the carries at least, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

I don't know he seems to do best when the ball is wet for some reason.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.