Steelers @ Bills. Monday, January 15th at 4:30pm.

Einstein

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

With Rudolph throwing and 30-50 mph winds, there is no need to defend the perimeters or the medium to deep zones. Just stack the box and bring up a safety. 

I am having visions of Rudolph attempting a medium depth pass and the wind taking it for a ride. The trajectory of that ball will be quite amusing

Does Rudolph have a weak arm? I googled it and I got conflicting info. Not sure what to believe.

58 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It means a defense first team is worse without it's best defensive player. It's a "no duh" thing and is in no way an assurance of victory, but it is relevant. 

Eh again Dolphins were 11-0 when leading at halftime...doesn't mean much

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Does Rudolph have a weak arm? I googled it and I got conflicting info. Not sure what to believe.

Mason Rudolph throws the ball downfield more than Pickett or Trubitsky, but he throws moonballs. He takes advantage of teams selling out to stop the run. If he had great arm strength, accuracy, and good decision making he wouldn't have ridden the pine for 6 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Einstein said:

When I saw his passes in a couple of games, they looked lazy and wobbly to me. Dude had a strong arm when he came into the NFL but in games this year, it looked average to weak. 

But now that you said it, I went looking

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how-the-steelers-mason-rudolph-has-completely-turned-around-the-offense-kept-pittsburgh-in-the-playoff-race/

"Rudolph throws deep with a moon-ball style, giving his receivers plenty of time to field the football and adjust to it before making a play. He understands with that high-arcing trajectory that the ball has to be thrown early in the down to avoid safeties ranging to help the corner. "

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 2

On 1/8/2024 at 9:58 AM, Einstein said:

Look at how this guy has embraced his new team. Can't say enough about Douglas he is an absolute Home run trade. The guys is just a Pro and handles his business. He's one of the hearts and souls of this defense.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, eball said:

You're proving yourself to be one hell of an obvious troll, as the breakdown above completely ignores the earlier big balls decision to go for 4th down on their own 35.  I was as big a critic of McD as anyone when the Bills were 5-5, but the man has changed the way he operates at the end of games.  I don't know what happened but the Bills are now aggressive and play to win.  That last series forced Miami to use all of their timeouts and we were literally inches from ending the game on a 6-minute drive.

Stop the nonsense.

McD was trying to win the game until he wasn’t.

The goal in mind was to run out the clock(for whatever reason) and seal the game. Ok, that obviously failed miserably. We did not accomplish that at all.

I listed the pays for everyone. Watch it again if you need to. McD starts out pretty gutsy. Omg, we’re doing it!

McD then closes his eyes and rolls up in a fetal position on the last set of plays.

Turns the ball over.

Then puts ALL of the pressure on the defense with a ton of time on the clock against a quick strike offense with a HOF WR.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Governor said:

The goal in mind was to run out the clock(for whatever reason) and seal the game. Ok, that obviously failed miserably. We did not accomplish that at all.

I listed the pays for everyone. Watch it again if you need to. McD starts out pretty gutsy. Omg, we’re doing it!

McD then closes his eyes and rolls up in a fetal position on the last set of plays.

Turns the ball over.

Then puts ALL of the pressure on the defense with a ton of time on the clock against a quick strike offense with a HOF WR.

What are you talking about? If Allen gets that first down on the final 4th and 1, the Bills would have run out the entire final 5:30 (or whatever it was) of clock, which would have been super impressive to me. He was that close to doing it.

2 minutes ago, Governor said:

Turns the ball over.

If he had called called passing plays and they were incomplete that gives Miami more time being the clock would stop. Take also I to account that with running the ball the defense knows what you are going to do. It's risk reward. I too was yelling at the tV to take at least 1 shot before failed running attempts but again an incomplete would have spared Miami some time. Just my thoughts. But I just don't think he curled up like a baby they just didn't get the first they wanted. 

3 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

If he had called called passing plays and they were incomplete that gives Miami more time being the clock would stop. Take also I to account that with running the ball the defense knows what you are going to do. It's risk reward. I too was yelling at the tV to take at least 1 shot before failed running attempts but again an incomplete would have spared Miami some time. Just my thoughts. But I just don't think he curled up like a baby they just didn't get the first they wanted. 

By running we also forced MIA to burn all their time outs before they wanted to, and yeah that missed 4 & 1 was so so close.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Governor said:

Turns the ball over.

The defensive holding penalty that stopped the clock on Josh’s 3rd and 13 conversion screwed things up quite a bit on the drive. It required us to convert another 1st down when we may not have had to otherwise. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Mason Rudolph throws the ball downfield more than Pickett or Trubitsky, but he throws moonballs. He takes advantage of teams selling out to stop the run. If he had great arm strength, accuracy, and good decision making he wouldn't have ridden the pine for 6 years.

Moon balls won’t work either with or against the expected winds on Sunday. Passing game is gonna require frozen ropes. Advantage Allen and the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

With Rudolph throwing and 30-50 mph winds, there is no need to defend the perimeters or the medium to deep zones. Just stack the box and bring up a safety. 

I am having visions of Rudolph attempting a medium depth pass and the wind taking it for a ride. The trajectory of that ball will be quite amusing

"The Hawk" making a triumphant return...

If a player hasn't played in the stadium before they are going to have a hell of a time trying to figure out winds.  Balls will sail, get caught up in the wind, dive into the ground and everything in between. Winds at one end of the field are different and swirl around meaning the pass you threw 5 minutes ago that got caught in the wind could now end up being an overthrow. The flags on the goalpost often are not blowing in the same direction as the wind on the field.  It's wild.  Jim Kelly talked extensively about it in his book.

Allen has a clear advantage because he throws lasers that can cut through the wind. Trying to throw arcing balls of any type is a recipe for INTs, unless you have the wind going with you, but then it can just as easily be a 15 yard overthrow if you don't take a little off it.  Kicking and punting will be fun too...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, DeltaDigital said:

Buffalo just needs to play clean. Pit is +11 on the season turnover differential. buffalo is +2. Don't turn the ball over. we win. 

Clean game from Josh… Stop their running game which I’m sure will be their focus and it’s lights out for them.  

Edited by CaptnCoke11
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

The defensive holding penalty that stopped the clock on Josh’s 3rd and 13 conversion screwed things up quite a bit on the drive. It required us to convert another 1st down when we may not have had to otherwise. 

I guess when you take a step back and reanalyze those downs, the run to the left kneel down to keep the clock running, there’s no way that call came from Brady up top. That original call (whatever it was) was overruled by McD 100 percent. There’s no intent to get any yardage on that play whatsoever to get us into FG range.  

And we still didn’t kill the clock.

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

That decision making point interests me.

In 2019 vs Cleveland, he threw 4 INTs, leading to Tomlin benching him in favor of Duck Hodges.  Next 2 years the Ghost of Big Ben Roethlisberger took over again.  So now 4 years later, he's started 3 games.  I wonder if McDermott will be able to bedazzle him and bait him into Interceptionland again.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

My lord the weather looks like it’s going to be BRUTAL. 

So the home field advantage lies solely in all of you maniacs being LOUD. I have faith in you…. Mad Df GIF by UMC - Stream Black Better

There seems a different opinion of the weather every hour … 

Perhaps it’s still a little early to be too concerned ?

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.