OT…Cooper Dejean has declared for the draft

If he's available at our #1 pick, I don't see any way McBeane passes him up.

And even tho I'm banging the table for a WR, considering this class, I'd be fine waiting to Round 2 on a WR if it meant getting Dejean.

He'd be an immediate starter at Safety, and pretty much McD's cream dream of a defensive player.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I’m like Jeremy White on WGR I am seriously on WR train this off season in round 1 but if there is one defensive player who I would honestly think about taking it would be this guy.

Prior to his injury he was basically a one man secondary at Iowa. 

The wife is from Iowa, Bills fan through and through, but we watch all the Iowa games when we can and this dude is an awesome and exciting player to watch! No doubt would look good in the red white and blue , albeit I want a WR first!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He fits Safeties that played QB in high school we seem to like. He could definitely help replace Hyde as gotta ironic both former Hawkeyes. He'd also be a nifty return man too. It's just not sure he's doesn't go sooner than we pick as he might be a CB in many scouts eyes.

Edited by The Jokeman

As a Hawkeye fan that has watched every one of his games, I would love to see Coop as a Bill. He’s a total baller. The kind of guy that can do anything a team asks of him and do it at a very high level. That Iowa defense was really, really good this year and he still stood out.

Another guy who stands out is Castro. Not sure he will go pro, but he is a safety in the mold of a Poyer. A former Mr Illinois that’s a super willing tackler.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Where does he play in the NFL CB or Safety?

For the Bills, likely listed as a Safety. But he's one of those guys McD would use everywhere. Even at LB like he did with Poyer. Throw him down on the slot if need be.  Whatever.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Where does he play in the NFL CB or Safety?

Cant be a white dude. I think it's been over 10 years since a white guy has played that position.

Same with running back. I remember when CMC came out. A GM said they'd never go with a white RB or CB.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If he's available at our #1 pick, I don't see any way McBeane passes him up.

And even tho I'm banging the table for a WR, considering this class, I'd be fine waiting to Round 2 on a WR if it meant getting Dejean.

He'd be an immediate starter at Safety, and pretty much McD's cream dream of a defensive player.

It depends on how well we do, things go well and we're picking pretty late in the draft and taking a WR in the 2nd means practically taking one in the 3rd.

Who will draft on the floor in the 1st round 

He told me his name was Cooper Dejean and he blows up screens

Then every head turned with eyes that dreamed of being the one 

People always told me, don’t take a RB early 

Don’t go around and breaking young GMs board 

And mother always told me be careful who you draft

And be careful in the 1st, cause Maybin becomes the bust 

Cooper Dejean is my pick 

He’s just a dude, that claims he is the one. 

But the kid is not my son 

Edited by Araiza Curse
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For the Bills, likely listed as a Safety. But he's one of those guys McD would use everywhere. Even at LB like he did with Poyer. Throw him down on the slot if need be.  Whatever.

Where does this Safety nonsense come from?  B/c he’s white?  He’s played Corner his entire life… and was the best corner in CFB before getting injured.  He’s a scheme fit b/c he played in zone, finds the ball and is a good tackler.

But we need a WR more and I hope he’s long gone by the time our reigning champion Bills pick.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Araiza Curse said:

He told me his name was Cooper Dejean and he blocks in screens

Then every head turned with eyes that dreamed of being the one 

People always told me, don’t take a RB early 

Don’t go around and breaking young GMs board 

And mother always told me be careful who you draft

And be careful in the 1st, cause Maybin becomes the bust 

Cooper Dejean is my pick 

He’s just a dude, that claims he is the one. 

But the kid is not my son 

michael jackson dancing GIF

• Haha (+1) 3

Yeah, I think he fits like a glove in this defense as a corner or safety, can play nickel, outside etc. Crazy athlete and knows how to play zone. A swiss army knife player, he does remind me of a young Micah Hyde. I am not sure they go safety round 1 but the value may be there in the back half of the first round. Ideally, as a lot of people have mentioned you get a WR early, but I would not be surprised if they go secondary or defensive line. Something has to give at safety, but there is a strong free-agent class for safeties so we shall see. All the hype on DeJean is whether or not he will be a corner...I think he could play corner, ala Micah Hyde/Minkah Fitzpatrick types...but he's going to be a better safety imo. For the combine, it's going to probably come down to his 40, which as a track guy, should be pretty good. I dunno...I see faster Micah Hyde..

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I’m like Jeremy White on WGR I am seriously on WR train this off season in round 1 but if there is one defensive player who I would honestly think about taking it would be this guy.

Prior to his injury he was basically a one man secondary at Iowa. 

Is he an Offensive Tackle?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nice player but I’ll chuck my remote if he’s the pick. Safety/CB is one position I trust this regime to pick later rounds and get production out of. We can’t keep going with no weapons for josh. That strategy has already cost us and it’s going to sink us completely if we keep doing it. Double up on drafting receivers and let’s roll. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

Fully aboard the WR train for this draft, but if Coop is there at 32 idk if I’d be able to pass on that kind of talent at another position of need. That being said we have been pretty good at corner even without Tre, and WR/S/DL are (in my eyes) much bigger needs.

Not to mention how much production we typically get out of our later round d-backs… it looks more like a luxury pick the more I think about it, but the kid has a lot of talent you have to consider.

Edited by KingBoots8

8 hours ago, WeckMonster said:

Where does this Safety nonsense come from?  B/c he’s white?  He’s played Corner his entire life… and was the best corner in CFB before getting injured.  He’s a scheme fit b/c he played in zone, finds the ball and is a good tackler.

But we need a WR more and I hope he’s long gone by the time our reigning champion Bills pick.

lol, pump the brakes on that nonsense.

I say Safety because that allows for far more flexibility in his usage. Think more along the lines of Troy Palamalu.

Listing him as a CB and sticking him outside to cover 1 guy, or even 1 small zone, is a huge waste of his talents, athleticism, and innate football instincts. It also allows opponents to take him out of the game by simply not throwing at him.

Listing him at Safety allows him to move around, maybe even roam free, let him take over the field and make plays.

He's too good and talented to waste at just a CB spot.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, boyst said:

Cant be a white dude. I think it's been over 10 years since a white guy has played that position.

Same with running back. I remember when CMC came out. A GM said they'd never go with a white RB or CB.

Huh? CMC was a consensus top 5 pick. 

if you don’t understand why corner back is a completely different physical than any other other position in football, not sure you know ball!  If you aren’t a 4.3 player with crazy change of direction, you won’t make it at cb. It’s not a position where you can get by if you don’t elite physical skills. Tre is going to struggle when he comes back. CB is a different beast than every other position. 

11 hours ago, boyst said:

Imagine saying this the other way around…pretty weak post if you ask me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

if you don’t understand why corner back is a completely different physical than any other other position in football, not sure you know ball!  If you aren’t a 4.3 player with crazy change of direction, you won’t make it at cb. It’s not a position where you can get by if you don’t elite physical skills. Tre is going to struggle when he comes back. CB is a different beast than every other position. 

Dont fall for boyst's race bait trolling.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Nice player but I’ll chuck my remote if he’s the pick. Safety/CB is one position I trust this regime to pick later rounds and get production out of. We can’t keep going with no weapons for josh. That strategy has already cost us and it’s going to sink us completely if we keep doing it. Double up on drafting receivers and let’s roll. 

I do agree with this too. McDermott has his faults but he is one of the best d backs coaches in the entire nfl. 

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

He was joking. But this actually happened with black qbs. But cb isn’t a position where you can fake being good at. It’s the most physically demanding position in the nfl. It’s impossible to be a good cb with the rules so you need the most elite athletes playing there. I like this guy but it would tough for him to be an elite outside cb. It’s hard for 99% of guys. 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I do agree with this too. McDermott has his faults but he is one of the best d backs coaches in the entire nfl. 

Except we are looking to fill TWO STARTING Safety spots, as opposed to a 2nd option WR on an offense that already has Diggs, Kincaid, etc catching passes, and this draft is deep with WRs.

I'm all for taking a WR early, likely the 1st round. But I understand if they go DB first.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m with you. Why does the thread title list him as an OT? 

ha, I'm not sure if yall are joking, but OP used OT to mean Off Topic since some draft talk trheads will get shut down during the season. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

ha, I'm not sure if yall are joking, but OP used OT to mean Off Topic since some draft talk trheads will get shut down during the season. :thumbsup:

A bit of joking and a bit of “is it really that hard to spell out Off Topic”? I mean does everyone have to talk like they’re in Junior High School? Sheeesh

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

i do realize they are different positions. one plays offense and one plays defense.

it's not trolling. i don't think many will view him as a CB.

15 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

except it was stated by GM's and scouts that they did not want draft CMC for this reason. Kirk Morrison spoke about it on Sirius NFL radio when CMC came out.

I don't think it has any merit in truth to the abilities of any player but NFL Scouts had told him and others, he claimed, that it was a reason they did not want him for this reason.

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Except we are looking to fill TWO STARTING Safety spots, as opposed to a 2nd option WR on an offense that already has Diggs, Kincaid, etc catching passes, and this draft is deep with WRs.

I'm all for taking a WR early, likely the 1st round. But I understand if they go DB first.

I disagree. If McD is great at one thing, and one thing only, it’s coaching DBs into excellent pro players. Our biggest weakness from a talent perspective is WR, not to mention that we are prob gonna lose up to 3 this off-season. We need to get high end talent at that position to give Allen the weapons he needs. We can wait to get a safety, because McD has proven over and over again that he can turn a project into a very good player. 

6 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I disagree. If McD is great at one thing, and one thing only, it’s coaching DBs into excellent pro players. Our biggest weakness from a talent perspective is WR, not to mention that we are prob gonna lose up to 3 this off-season. We need to get high end talent at that position to give Allen the weapons he needs. We can wait to get a safety, because McD has proven over and over again that he can turn a project into a very good player. 

He's done a great job over the last 5 years developing late round picks like Jaquan Johnson, Damar Hamlin, and Cam Lewis so they are ready to take over the Safety position this year.

giphy.gif

He’s gonna be a phenomenon.  If he’s there when we select- get ready for him to be the pick.  Yes, we need WR.  I prefer WR, but we also need elite super stars.  Cooper has a chance to be just that, especially in McDs system.  He can do it all.  Special player imo.  It’s still early in the process, but I don’t think he’ll be there when we pick.  

49 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah, I think he fits like a glove in this defense as a corner or safety, can play nickel, outside etc. Crazy athlete and knows how to play zone. A swiss army knife player, he does remind me of a young Micah Hyde. I am not sure they go safety round 1 but the value may be there in the back half of the first round. Ideally, as a lot of people have mentioned you get a WR early, but I would not be surprised if they go secondary or defensive line. Something has to give at safety, but there is a strong free-agent class for safeties so we shall see. All the hype on DeJean is whether or not he will be a corner...I think he could play corner, ala Micah Hyde/Minkah Fitzpatrick types...but he's going to be a better safety imo. For the combine, it's going to probably come down to his 40, which as a track guy, should be pretty good. I dunno...I see faster Micah Hyde..

Gonna be tough for a team to tell him he’s playing S if he wants to play CB.  10M aav difference after the rookie contract.  If I’m cooper, I’m telling the world I’m playing corner

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Got to go WR, address defense in round 2. With Davis likely gone and Diggs at age 31 this team needs to restock at WR. I like Dejean as a prospect but this team really needs to focus on making sure Josh has the tools.

6'3" 225 and runs a 4.3 40 yd dash. It's not DK Metcalf, he's Xavier Legette. WR/KR for Gamecocks. Not only can he be the "take the top off" type of WR, but also a "put the ball in his hands/RAC" type of guy the Bills have been coveting for years. I'm hoping he lasts until the Bills pick

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.