OT…Cooper Dejean has declared for the draft

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There are a lot of them........it's a deep draft at WR.    But I suspect 6-9 to go in round 1.    That kind of depth might have lasted a full 3 rounds back in the late 2010's when teams were gun-shy about 1st round WR's and the impact of WR talent wrt reaching and winning SB's wasn't as obvious to some.   Walker is probably the most talented of the 2nd round guys you listed, IMO.   

Yeah I really like what I see regarding Walker.  I could see him being this years Pickens.  High 2nd rd pick that might be worthy of rd 1.

Polk always stands out to me as a guy who could blossom into a WR1 if given the opportunity.  Effective all over the field, good run after the catch.  Lack of blocking scares me a bit for what this team wants.

Mitchell reminds me of what Gabe Davis could be if he had great hands and could get better separation.  But never a WR1

I really like worthy but I’m worried a bit about his weight/strength holding up.  Almost like a taller, skinnier Davonte Smith…..who has been able to hold up this far.  I could see him going rd 1

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah I really like what I see regarding Walker.  I could see him being this years Pickens.  High 2nd rd pick that might be worthy of rd 1.

Polk always stands out to me as a guy who could blossom into a WR1 if given the opportunity.  Effective all over the field, good run after the catch.  Lack of blocking scares me a bit for what this team wants.

Mitchell reminds me of what Gabe Davis could be if he had great hands and could get better separation.  But never a WR1

I really like worthy but I’m worried a bit about his weight/strength holding up.  Almost like a taller, skinnier Davonte Smith…..who has been able to hold up this far.  I could see him going rd 1

I agree with all this. I like Polk. That guy is tough at the catch point, catches the ball with his hands, and isn’t afraid to go across the middle. He has decent speed as well. 

The problem is that I’m afraid these guys will be gone before we pick again in round 2. I agree with badoldbillz that 6-9 will prob go before then. If we want one, we will likely need to take one on the first or risk getting another guy like Davis…someone solid, but isn’t a true difference maker. 

39 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I agree with all this. I like Polk. That guy is tough at the catch point, catches the ball with his hands, and isn’t afraid to go across the middle. He has decent speed as well. 

The problem is that I’m afraid these guys will be gone before we pick again in round 2. I agree with badoldbillz that 6-9 will prob go before then. If we want one, we will likely need to take one on the first or risk getting another guy like Davis…someone solid, but isn’t a true difference maker. 

Yeah- we need to trade up

I agree that 6 will definitely go rd 1.   7 maybe 8.  I guess nine isn’t out of the realm of possibility but I doubt it.  

The reason why I doubt it- because I think there could be 6 or more QBs going rd 1.  That’s a big ask but there are needy teams.  

Teams that might be in the market for a QB:

Jets- need long term

NE- need 

Steelers- need 

Washington-  need

NYG- dimes stinks- his contract not withstanding- Daboll and schoen have to know they’ll be fired if Dimes is their QB another 1-2 years. 

Vikings-  they need a fresh start

Seattle- geno isn’t the guy.  

Atlanta-  big time need 

Bears- They’ll draft Caleb imo.  Does anyone want to trade for and pay Fields?  

NO- Carr has a contract but he’s a bum

Browns- possibly

Dallas- possibly- depends on Daks contract demands.  

Rams- possibly but doubtful- stafford is balking but I could see them trading him.  

Tampa- possibly- but I think they go with Baker another year 

Miami- depends if they believe in Tua.  I don’t. 

lots of good QBs imo-

1st rd grades:

Caleb

Maye

Daniels 

Nix

possible 1st rd grades: 

Penix

Mccarthy

Ewers

Sanders

Edited by NewEra

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah- we need to trade up

I agree that 6 will definitely go rd 1.   7 maybe 8.  I guess nine isn’t out of the realm of possibility but I doubt it.  

The reason why I doubt it- because I think there could be 6 or more QBs going rd 1.  That’s a big ask but there are needy teams.  

Teams that might be in the market for a QB:

Jets- need long term

NE- need 

Steelers- need 

Washington-  need

NYG- dimes stinks- his contract not withstanding- Daboll and schoen have to know they’ll be fired if Dimes is their QB another 1-2 years. 

Vikings-  they need a fresh start

Seattle- geno isn’t the guy.  

Atlanta-  big time need 

Bears- They’ll draft Caleb imo.  Does anyone want to trade for and pay Fields?  

NO- Carr has a contract but he’s a bum

Browns- possibly

Dallas- possibly- depends on Daks contract demands.  

Rams- possibly but doubtful- stafford is balking but I could see them trading him.  

Tampa- possibly- but I think they go with Baker another year 

Miami- depends if they believe in Tua.  I don’t. 

lots of good QBs imo-

1st rd grades:

Caleb

Maye

Daniels 

Nix

possible 1st rd grades: 

Penix

Mccarthy

Ewers

Sanders

I just really think there will be a WR at where we pick that is worthy of the selection. I doubt we trade up too far, but a slight move is def in play, as Beane is no stranger to go get what he wants. That said…if we wait till the second, I don’t know that we will be able to get a game changer because these WRs keep going earlier and earlier every year. It’s a premium position tjay is starting to pay dividends earlier than it used to.

what are your thoughts on Diggs?  I honestly feel it’s a real possibility that he will want out after this year and they might decide it’s not worth the trouble to try to satisfy him anymore. Yes, the guaranteed money sucks, but we’ve seen it before. Maybe we could get a 2 and package that pick to go up and get one of the top WRs?

you bring up a good point about the qbs. They will push WRs down. So too will the tackles, some edge guys, a few DBs, heck…Brock bowers will prob go before 3 WRs go off the board. We should get a good selection of WRs to choose from. 

Edited by whorlnut
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I just really think there will be a WR at where we pick that is worthy of the selection. I doubt we trade up too far, but a slight move is def in play, as Beane is no stranger to go get what he wants. That said…if we wait till the second, I don’t know that we will be able to get a game changer because these WRs keep going earlier and earlier every year. It’s a premium position tjay is starting to pay dividends earlier than it used to.

what are your thoughts on Diggs?  I honestly feel it’s a real possibility that he will want out after this year and they might decide it’s not worth the trouble to try to satisfy him anymore. Yes, the guaranteed money sucks, but we’ve seen it before. Maybe we could get a 2 and package that pick to go up and get one of the top WRs?

you bring up a good point about the qbs. They will push WRs down. So too will the tackles, some edge guys, a few DBs, heck…Brock bowers will prob go before 3 WRs go off the board. We should get a good selection of WRs to choose from. 

Yeah I hear ya.  It just depends on how the draft falls.  I prefer to go WR rd 1 too, it just depends on the level of talent that falls to us at other positions.  If a potentially elite OT or DL falls, while there are 6-7 WRs already off the board, it might make sense to take the elite prospect and trade up for WR in rd 2.  

1 hour ago, Luka said:

Wide receiver in the first when Hyde will most likely be gone and the rest of the secondary is cheeks with the exception of Douglas?

What does this mean?

On 1/4/2024 at 10:04 PM, schoolhouserock said:

As a Hawkeye fan that has watched every one of his games, I would love to see Coop as a Bill. He’s a total baller. The kind of guy that can do anything a team asks of him and do it at a very high level. That Iowa defense was really, really good this year and he still stood out.

Another guy who stands out is Castro. Not sure he will go pro, but he is a safety in the mold of a Poyer. A former Mr Illinois that’s a super willing tackler.

Update: Castro is staying at Iowa.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

What does this mean?

Not my quote but I think what he was saying is “should we really be looking at WR in the 1st round when our secondary talent is suspect (with the exception for Rasul) and also with Hyde likely being gone?”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.