Milano discusses his injury for first time

I’m getting excited about next year.  Lucked into some depth on D now when these injuries are behind us.  And I think if we focus on WR in the draft, that’s the current missing piece.  Maybe even trade #88 for a WR of similar caliber - would be a win win trade, we are a bit redundant at TE.

8 minutes ago, vanhalen26 said:

I’m getting excited about next year.  Lucked into some depth on D now when these injuries are behind us.  And I think if we focus on WR in the draft, that’s the current missing piece.  Maybe even trade #88 for a WR of similar caliber - would be a win win trade, we are a bit redundant at TE.

They can do major damage this year, but there has to be a light bulb moment on offense here asap. Figure it out guys. Agreed on next year and the rest of your post, but not sure Knox is tradeable with that contract. Was not a wise one as of now.

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Yeah dammit!  Back in my day...dirt fixed everything!

Or...amd just spit balling here...we can finally dump this big nickle crap and go with a blitzing 4-3?  Can't say we don't have the backers for it once he comes back.

Johnson is more than a slot CB

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I was actually suggesting he should have opted for a titanium knee this season but my sarcasm meter is malfunctioning. 

Sorry. First guy wasn’t sarcastic I think. He never replied so I did yours. My B on missing it 

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

Come back this season?

Yeah in the cover 1 slack channel he said the whole thing begged the question why he couldn’t return later than the playoffs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Yeah in the cover 1 slack channel he said the whole thing begged the question why he couldn’t return later than the playoffs. 

Now I’m confused,  Who said this in the Cover1 slack channel?

And did you mean “later than the playoffs” or “later in the playoffs”?

If Milano had 8 weeks of non-weight bearing, starting say 48 hrs after the injury (10-10) - it may have been a bit later, sometimes they wait for inflammation to subside before doing surgery - 8 weeks would be early December, like Dec 5th.

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

If Milano had 8 weeks of non-weight bearing, starting say 48 hrs after the injury (10-10) - it may have been a bit later, sometimes they wait for inflammation to subside before doing surgery - 8 weeks would be early December, like Dec 5th.

He was crutchless doing a slight jump on the sidelines during the Cowboys game. That was Dec 18th. I agree on the confusion thing. Did he say one way or another he has no chance of coming back this year?

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah sorry it was confusing.

Kyle Trimble is in the slack.  And in his victory lap for nailing the diagnosis (we are lucky as fans to have the dude) he said he thought Milano should be able to back before the end of the playoffs.

That’s the extent of what I’ve been hearing. But figured I’d share all the good rumors cause I’m certain we’re all desperate for it right now. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Yeah sorry it was confusing.

Kyle Trimble is in the slack.  And in his victory lap for nailing the diagnosis (we are lucky as fans to have the dude) he said he thought Milano should be able to back before the end of the playoffs.

That’s the extent of what I’ve been hearing. But figured I’d share all the good rumors cause I’m certain we’re all desperate for it right now. 

Well, that shocks me actually.

3 hours ago, WideNine said:

When Milano gets back we will have some quality depth at the LB position where there was a lot ??? early in the season and I thought we were thin.

The taking heads and media pundants were all preaching doom and gloom with Edmunds' departure in FA and that the Bills would struggle with an unproven Bernard.

Both Dodson and Bernard have come on strong.

Mea culpa from me on that one. I raked Beane over the coals for not having anybody else in house. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, that shocks me actually.

Doesn't shock me at all. Once the bone heals it's ready. He was jumping 3 weeks ago. No ligament damage. Let's go! Hopefully we are in a position where he can get into practice again.

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

And then you have to strengthen an atrophied leg.  He was non weight bearing for 6 weeks.  I just don’t see how that’s possible.  Jumping on a leg is one thing.  Playing on the field is another.  Although  someone as handsome as the stallion might be able to. 

Edited by nedboy7

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Sounds like he isn't even close to returning at this point.

Well, he’s gonna have the whole off-season

22 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Doesn't shock me at all. Once the bone heals it's ready. He was jumping 3 weeks ago. No ligament damage. Let's go! Hopefully we are in a position where he can get into practice again.

I would not expect to see him this year

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Johnson is more than a slot CB

He is an amazing player for his role.. but he definitely does not have the agility or straight line speed to be a boundary corner

He's at his best playing the run, blitzing off the edge, and watching the quarterbacks eyes

He's not a pure coverage corner.. he's more of a hybrid strong side linebacker slot cornerback

25 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Well, he’s gonna have the whole off-season

I would not expect to see him this year

In a presser leading up to the Chargers game, McDermott said he didn't think Milano would be returning at any point this season or postseason.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2023/12/20/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-matt-milano-not-return-injury-nfl/

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

In a presser leading up to the Chargers game, McDermott said he didn't think Milano would be returning at any point this season or postseason.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2023/12/20/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-matt-milano-not-return-injury-nfl/

I thought what he said was that he hadn't heard anything new yet? Not that him not sharing something would be all that shocking really.

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I thought what he said was that he hadn't heard anything new yet? Not that him not sharing something would be all that shocking really.

Buffalo Bills All-Pro linebacker Matt Milano suffered what many thought was a season-ending lower-body injury in Week 5's 25-20 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars in London, but there was still hope shortly after he was placed on IR that a late-season return could still be possible.

However, Bills coach Sean McDermott was asked about Milano's status in November and his answer didn't change when asked again on Tuesday [December 19th], essentially putting an end to the slim chances of the star linebacker returning this season.

"To my knowledge, the information that I have right now, it's not looking good," McDermott said.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-coach-sean-mcdermott-provides-update-on-lb-matt-milano-not-looking-good

• Like (+1) 1

I was going to do a bit of a write up before but got lazy and didn't do it. I got some time so, I'll try shed some light on these injuries. 

Back around 2003 I had a tibial plateau fx to of my left leg. I was playing flag football and running to my left. A defensive player was closing in on me so I made a hard plant on my left leg, so I could spin and come back to my right. I planted so hard that I could literally feel my femur hit the tibia. I remember describing the feeling by punching my fists together. It was painful and I couldnt bear weight at all. Fortunately my injury was a crack in the tibial plateau and didn't actually break a piece of the tibial plateau off. I distinctly remember the doctor telling me I was lucky cause if it had broke off, I would need surgery. I was placed in a brace that they could limit the range of motion in the leg. They didn't cast it, because they wanted me to be able to move my leg to limit the atrophy. Although I wasn't to bear any weight on it until cleared, which I think was about after week 4. I had the splint for about 6 weeks and recovery was rather quick. 

However, like I said, I got lucky. There are varying degrees of these that can get pretty bad. 

Here's a piece of an article from orthopedic trauma association describing the injury. 

"A tibial plateau fracture is an injury in which you break your bone and injure the cartilage that covers the top end of your tibia (bottom part of your knee). The break can range from a single crack in your bone to shattering into many pieces. This fracture typically happens after a fall or a motor vehicle accident. High energy injuries like these cause your thigh bone (femur) to drive into your tibia like a hammer hitting an anvil."

Here you can see an X-ray of a normal leg:

PE3834f02.thumb.png.ca0d9f60b26038f2d87c86e8c14c6d5d.png

Here's an example with a fx. You can see in this picture it cracked all the way through and this would require screws and possibly plates to reattach.

PE3834f03.thumb.png.2426b048bf6748558c9f7a828ab2236c.png

Edited by Herc11
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Another excerpt from ota.org

"Sometimes the break is so bad you need to be taken to the operating room to have an external fixator put on. An external fixator is a device made up of pins that are put in your femur (thigh bone) and tibia (leg bone) and bars that connect the pins together. This is a temporary way of holding the leg and bones in a better position (lines them up) and allows the swelling to go down until it is safe to fix your bone with plates and screws."

Here's a pic of a fx that requires screws and plates:

PE3834f05_0.thumb.png.c5f6ec869f36e4ece05d5c5f8bee2062.png

PE3834f06.png.10a8c97b69af455d8b801ec1619df52d.png

More from ota.org on the recovery:

"You will not be able to bear weight on your leg for weeks after breaking your bone. That means no walking on or pushing off of your broken leg. This is to keep the bones from moving as you heal. Depending on your injury, this will last 6 to 12 weeks. You may need to use crutches, a walker and/or a wheelchair. A knee immobilizer or hinged knee brace may be used to provide support for your leg. You will be instructed to work on gentle motion of your knee, ankle, and hip. This is to prevent stiffness and also to help your cartilage to heal. Your surgeon will let you know how much you should bend your knee. You may be prescribed physical therapy to help with motion and strength. It is important to follow up with your surgeon to make sure your bones are healing well and that your motion is good."

And as a some have eluded to, this injury can cause issues down the road due to the injury to the cartilage that lines the joint side of the tibia.

"Tibial plateau fractures injure the joint surface cartilage. The injured knee joint can develop arthritis. The symptoms include pain with use, stiffness, swelling, and inability to tolerate exercise, stairs, or running. Some patients have bad enough arthritis that they have a knee replacement to help improve their pain and function.

Stiffness and some weakness is very common. Physical therapy may be able to help with this. You may have a permanent limp and need to use a cane or assistive device. Rarely, more serious complications may require more surgery, hospital stays, or medications. These complications include swelling, infection, blood clots, and painful hardware."

Edited by Herc11
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Now this is only a guess. I definitely don't have enough info from what has been disclosed about his specific injury. I have been holding out hope that he would be able to return for a late playoff run, but we know McD doesn't like to rush injuries back and it would be quite a gamble to have Milano's first game back in the AFC champ or even SB. Seeing that he has been walking and bearing weight, he is most likely in the physical therapy stage. You don't gamble coming back from a knee injury without the leg at full strength. That would only be risking a devasting injury to the knee ligaments that could rule him out next season. 

Edited by Herc11
  • Like (+1) 1

It’s good to understand Milano’s injury and exciting to get him back when we do.

I would not rush it. Why? We just went through this with Von, and we can’t afford to make the team worse in the playoffs while a guy ramps up.

Linebacker is not a position where we need help right now anyway. Bernard and Dodson are balling. 

Defense looks great. It’s the pass game that we need to up its level to get the Lombardi. 

10 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Interested to hear why you say this when Kyle has consistently said he’ll be fine once he recovers which takes a while. 

I’m an anesthesiologist with a couple thousand knee replacements under my belt. Most of these football players end up with arthritic knees. Now add a fracture that crosses the joint space at the top of the tibia and you are talking guaranteed arthritis. He will be fine to play and finish out his career, it’s soon after he retires that he will be getting that knee tuned up. Fortunately, we’ve come so far with knee replacements that they can be same day surgeries. At one place we’d do 5 a day by 4 pm.

Kyle is a physical therapist, he’s not a physician btw. Listen to the difference between him and Chao who’s actually an orthopedic surgeon. Night and day. He’s very good at discussing likely rehab times once he knows the injury, because that’s his job. He is right that Milano will be able to play post injury.

I get his schtick, I know Marino likes to have him on weekly, but I rarely hear useful information from him. It’s a lot of hedging “Well, he didn’t practice all week, but if does play Sunday it will be a limited snap count”. Wow, brilliant.

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Or...amd just spit balling here...we can finally dump this big nickle crap and go with a blitzing 4-3?  Can't say we don't have the backers for it once he comes back.

Why, because this defense has been so awful?

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Augie said:

I broke that in a high school scrimmage against Amherst. Nobody really cared this much. 🤷‍♂️

We will have a pity party for you …. All wishing to attend please show up at Augies house, 4:00 PM today.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

We will have a pity party for you …. All wishing to attend please show up at Augie’s house, 4:00 PM today.

Our credit card machine is down, so it will be cash only for parking fees and cover charge. FYI 

Oh, and it’s BYOB! 🍺 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, WideNine said:

When Milano gets back we will have some quality depth at the LB position where there was a lot ??? early in the season and I thought we were thin.

The taking heads and media pundants were all preaching doom and gloom with Edmunds' departure in FA and that the Bills would struggle with an unproven Bernard.

Both Dodson and Bernard have come on strong.

Dodson has been a lifesaver for this D and gives Dorian more time to adjust to the nfl. Defense seems to be fully back to where they were, playing as 1, fast ans aggressive. 

I anticipate a similar performance against Mia than in week 4. 

Douglas might be better than Tre, Daquan is back and Dodson has played great

11 hours ago, Mango said:

Mea culpa from me on that one. I raked Beane over the coals for not having anybody else in house. 

Your not the only one.

I listen to Marino's podcast and I was right there with him worrying about starting an unproven Bernard.

I was wrong about Oliver taking a step forward too with his injury-plagued contract year... thought he was just too small to man the 3-tech and hold up. I felt like Beane was throwing money away.

Looks like a bargain deal now with the way he has come on and the reps he commands game to game.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Herc11 said:

Another excerpt from ota.org

"Sometimes the break is so bad you need to be taken to the operating room to have an external fixator put on. An external fixator is a device made up of pins that are put in your femur (thigh bone) and tibia (leg bone) and bars that connect the pins together. This is a temporary way of holding the leg and bones in a better position (lines them up) and allows the swelling to go down until it is safe to fix your bone with plates and screws."

Here's a pic of a fx that requires screws and plates:

PE3834f05_0.thumb.png.c5f6ec869f36e4ece05d5c5f8bee2062.png

PE3834f06.png.10a8c97b69af455d8b801ec1619df52d.png

More from ota.org on the recovery:

"You will not be able to bear weight on your leg for weeks after breaking your bone. That means no walking on or pushing off of your broken leg. This is to keep the bones from moving as you heal. Depending on your injury, this will last 6 to 12 weeks. You may need to use crutches, a walker and/or a wheelchair. A knee immobilizer or hinged knee brace may be used to provide support for your leg. You will be instructed to work on gentle motion of your knee, ankle, and hip. This is to prevent stiffness and also to help your cartilage to heal. Your surgeon will let you know how much you should bend your knee. You may be prescribed physical therapy to help with motion and strength. It is important to follow up with your surgeon to make sure your bones are healing well and that your motion is good."

And as a some have eluded to, this injury can cause issues down the road due to the injury to the cartilage that lines the joint side of the tibia.

"Tibial plateau fractures injure the joint surface cartilage. The injured knee joint can develop arthritis. The symptoms include pain with use, stiffness, swelling, and inability to tolerate exercise, stairs, or running. Some patients have bad enough arthritis that they have a knee replacement to help improve their pain and function.

Stiffness and some weakness is very common. Physical therapy may be able to help with this. You may have a permanent limp and need to use a cane or assistive device. Rarely, more serious complications may require more surgery, hospital stays, or medications. These complications include swelling, infection, blood clots, and painful hardware."

I spent my entire work career making those plates and screws.  Extremely interesting the engineering that goes into them.

• Like (+1) 1

I read that Travis Kelce had a tibial plateau fracture his rookie year, and was placed on IR.  He seems to have recovered and played at a "fairly" high level. 

"According to FOX Sports' Jay Glazer, the Chiefs initially feared a repeat of the 2013 NFL season with Kelce. That year, Kelce, suffered a tibial plateau fracture that ended his rookie season before it even really began. He was placed on season-ending injured reserve during in October with that microfracture in his knee. "

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

He still hasn’t been placed on season ending IR. Very odd seeing that it’s week 18

This is not a thing, any player put on the Reserve/Injured list is eligible to have a 21 day window open after missing 4 weeks if added to the list after the start of the season. There arent separate designations. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.