Bills cornerback Kaiir Elam says he tore ankle ligament in preseason and tried to play through it

HOUSE

Untitled.jpg.a362aa2e40c33ae74b617b98b04217c2.jpg

Buffalo Bills cornerback Kaiir Elam told The Buffalo News after Wednesday’s walk-through that a torn deltoid ligament in his ankle forced him to injured reserve on Nov. 2.

The deltoid ligament is the main ligament of the inner ankle.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/buffalo-bills-kaiir-elam-injury-torn-ligament-nfl/article_740f0eda-99f5-11ee-b3ab-abe44fea143b.html#tncms-source=login

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I just don’t get why he’d wait so long to tell the story 

This isn't pretty: players target their opponents injuries. 

For that reason, players who are dinged up don't want to show on the injury report unless they miss enough practice that the league requires it of them.  Players who are actually injured don't want to disclose specifics of their injuries.

Plus, all that aside, some players like to preserve their medical privacy.

I wonder if it originally wasn't diagnosed as torn, or if it was only slightly torn but then tore worse.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

For that reason, players who are dinged up don't want to show on the injury report unless they miss enough practice that the league requires it of them.  Players who are actually injured don't want to disclose specifics of their injuries.

I wonder if it originally wasn't diagnosed as torn, or if it was only slightly torn but then tore worse.

But we never even found out when he went on IR, the whole situation was handled so strange. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

he’s been on IR for weeks. Are they going to track him down at home to target it? 

• Haha (+1) 3

Just now, NoSaint said:

he’s been on IR for weeks. Are they going to track him down at home to target it?

I was responding to why Elam might not have wanted to disclose his pre-season injury while he was still trying to play through it.

I'm really unsure what you're getting at here.  Are you suggesting that reporters should track an injured player down at home or stake out the entrance to the Bills sports medicine facility and jump him to get a story?  That sounds kind of creepy and stalker-ish to me.

Injured players aren't required to be in the areas of the building accessible to the press, they're not required to make themselves available to the press.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I was responding to why Elam might not have wanted to disclose his pre-season injury while he was still trying to play through it.

I'm really unsure what you're getting at here.  Are you suggesting that reporters should track an injured player down at home or stake out the entrance to the Bills sports medicine facility and jump him to get a story?  That sounds kind of creepy and stalker-ish to me.

Injured players aren't required to be in the areas of the building accessible to the press, they're not required to make themselves available to the press.

im saying if I’m Elam getting benched for Norman that within 5 minutes I’m on Twitter declaring the serious nature of the injury at play 

your response is one of the more bizarre I’ve gotten in 15 or so years here 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

im saying if I’m Elam getting benched for Norman that within 5 minutes I’m on Twitter declaring the serious nature of the injury at play 

Maybe he didn’t care what the outside world thought, or didn’t want to come off as making excuses.  Those are just a couple reasons I can think of as to not just run to social media.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yup.  All NHL fans know the rule of diagonals. 

If team says a player has a right upper body injury, you can bet it’s really a left lower body injury. 

I mean, we saw him last season - the guy could play.  Didn't look like the same player this year at all, and it's kind of a relief knowing that it was more injury-related than anything.

Looking forward to seeing him play healthy again, and being a big contributor for this team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Not that I care personally, but wouldn’t the Bills be in violation of league rules for not including this on injury reports?

Depends on if they knew the specifics and extent of the injury. If they didn't, perhaps?  The NFL has weasel wording in there defining whether or not an injury is "reportable".  If the injury limits the player's participation in practice or for a game, it's reportable.  If it's to a "key player", it's reportable. 

Otherwise, if it doesn't impact the player's ability to participate in practice or cause him to miss a game, apparently not.

You can read about it here if you like, weasel words and all

https://operations.nfl.com/media/2683/2017-nfl-injury-report-policy.pdf

Elam showed up on the injury report Week 7 (NWE) and Week 8 (TAM), and then went on IR week 9.  I can easily see a scenario where Elam was reporting to the training room for treatment on "ankle soreness" and getting PT, but wasn't getting better or even got worse after playing near the whole game vs. Jax Wk 5 and the whole game vs the Giants Wk 6, so they sent him for another MRI and a surgical consult.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Success said:

I mean, we saw him last season - the guy could play.  Didn't look like the same player this year at all, and it's kind of a relief knowing that it was more injury-related than anything.

Looking forward to seeing him play healthy again, and being a big contributor for this team.

Weirdly, this is the best Bills news I've heard in a while. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Bizarreness is as Bizarreness does?  I thought your response was bizarre myself (obviously)

You'd do you, but I've already said why from what I know, that's not how most football players would think about it especially young guys trying to earn a spot in the starting rotation. 

And players who do are kind of given the side-eye - remember the reactions to Russ Wilson talking about how he handled his hammy injury on the plane to London?

16 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Yup.  All NHL fans know the rule of diagonals. 

If team says a player has a right upper body injury, you can bet it’s really a left lower body injury. 

If it's that well known, wouldn't opponents just target accordingly?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

Untitled.jpg.a362aa2e40c33ae74b617b98b04217c2.jpg

Buffalo Bills cornerback Kaiir Elam told The Buffalo News after Wednesday’s walk-through that a torn deltoid ligament in his ankle forced him to injured reserve on Nov. 2.

The deltoid ligament is the main ligament of the inner ankle.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/buffalo-bills-kaiir-elam-injury-torn-ligament-nfl/article_740f0eda-99f5-11ee-b3ab-abe44fea143b.html#tncms-source=login

This may also explain why Beane didn't end up trading him at the deadline. No way he passes a physical for his new team with that. Trade would be cancelled and we would have a young CB that knows the Bills gave up on him. Lose/lose situation.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Maybe he didn’t care what the outside world thought, or didn’t want to come off as making excuses.  Those are just a couple reasons I can think of as to not just run to social media.

big boomer energy here

would you prefer I said he take the scenic route and chat with the buff news on his way out the door instead of popping on X? 

no one thinks “yea it’s been hard playing through a torn ligament so I think I need to get better” is an excuse. Do you think he’s making excuses now? 

was just pointing out there was no upside in waiting a month, which is different than your reasons that match up to why he’d not talk today either 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Bizarreness is as Bizarreness does?  I thought your response was bizarre myself (obviously)

You'd do you, but I've already said why from what I know, that's not how most football players would think about it especially young guys trying to earn a spot in the starting rotation. 

And players who do are kind of given the side-eye - remember the reactions to Russ Wilson talking about how he handled his hammy injury on the plane to London?

If it's that well known, wouldn't opponents just target accordingly?

so once called out that he’s had a month where opponents wouldn’t target him youve progressed from reporters needing to camp outside his house and stalk him for him to share his injury update or possibly the silence being to avoid being treated like a notoriously out of touch with human behavior superstar qb? 

and I’m the one being strange saying I’m surprised he didn’t comment on his injury a couple weeks ago, when his reputation was getting shredded and he went on IR?

• Like (+1) 1

This is the best possible scenario for the Bills, and it explains alot in regards to him.

I didn't believe he was not one of the top 3 or 4 DB's on this team, and I refused to go along with the sentiment on this board that he was a bust. He looked too much like he belonged last season for him to be not worthy to play on gamedays. Now I believe we know why.

Lots of posters here should be embarrassed about their trash takes on the kid and their willingness to dump him

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Well that would explain a lot.  Last season he was sticking to people like glue.  This year not so much.  It never made sense to me.  Now it does.

Would also explain the mystery of why and how Benford seemed to leapfrog him right at the very end of TC as well. As well as maybe why he was inactive so much so early.

Maybe it's time us fans admit we only have a small fraction of knowledge as to why certain decisions are made🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

It didn't make sense how bad he looked, in comparison to what we saw last year. Even if he wasn't progressing as much as we would like for a player going into his second year, it seemed at the time like a huge step back. 

I understand that we're not a good scheme fit, and how he might still be struggling with some of the zone concepts, but he was equally struggling with man coverage.

Multiple times we saw him run step for step with Tyreek last year, and I think this is partly what added to our expectations for this year.

All that being said, this doesn't erase Brandon Beane's comments over the off-season about his struggles. 

I don't remember the exact words, but when asked about Elam's struggles, or why he didn't have the job locked down, Brandon said....I wish I could say that he's not working hard or doesn't want it.

Let's hope Josh Norman has been spending a lot of 1on1 time with him, and that the light is starting to come on. If the case, and healthy, we could potentially see a diff player on the field.

Let's see if he gets activated within the next couple of weeks. That'll tell us all we need to know.

I will also add, that the timeline makes sense. During training camp, he was starting to separate a bit, and it was a 2 man race for CB2. I forget if it was between him and Dane, or him and Benford. But one of them started to emerge and he faded into the abyss.

Edited by Allen2Moulds

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

But we never even found out when he went on IR, the whole situation was handled so strange. 

Strange is normal for the Bills though 

15 minutes ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

I hate to be like this but I need to see x rays :huh:

Go get some then

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Speak for yourself I voted for him for the pro bowl

If it wasn't all pro it don't count 😀

This would more than explain his seasons woes, 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.