Bills open Justin Shorter's Practice Window

BuffaloBillyG

10 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Send Harty packing. Waste of a roster spotĀ 

Ā 

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

It would send Sherfield way before Harty

Ā 

Who does more on Special Teams tho? And can Shorter play ST?

Ā 

Remember, with Taiwan Jones gone, we've shifted from carrying an extra "RB" special teamer to carrying an extra "WR" special teamer. So I'm not sure either of them lose their spot to Shorter.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by DrDawkinstein

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Who does more on Special Teams tho? And can Shorter play ST?

Harty is averaging like 2 yards per punt return the past few games. I don't think we will miss much. He runs to the left then he runs the right then he gets tackled when he could have just run straight lol

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

Harty is averaging like 2 yards per punt return. I don't think we will miss much. He runs to the left then he runs the right then he gets tackled when he could have just run straight lol

Ā 

But he's fairly reliable back there versus what we've seen from others. (I think he had 1 muff that he got back?)

Ā 

And Hyde can't do it anymore.

I honestly donā€™t care if it comes at the expense of Harty or Sherfield or Gabeā€™s snap counts.Ā 
Ā 

Sherfield has played 6 seasons including this one.

Ā 

3 of them have been exactly what heā€™s done this year - nothing.Ā 
Ā 

Harty is playing 17% snap count right now. I advocated earlier in the year for him, but itā€™s obvious the rest of the coaches feel the same way about him pre and post Ken Dorsey, so try someone else.Ā 

53 minutes ago, Rubes said:

So youā€™re looking for a good punt catcher?

Ā 

If I have Josh Allen, all I care about is getting him the ball.Ā  Give him the ball on the 50, on the Bills' 35, on the Bills' 5.Ā  Doesn't matter where.Ā  So, yes, give me a good punt catcher.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

This doesn't mean that they will activate him. He just gets to practice for three weeks and then they can either activate him or shut him down for the year.

Ā 

Exactly....they could just be giving him three weeks of practice time with the team to give him a leg up for next years training camp. Iā€™m sure the Bills envision a ST ace/ WR4 role for Shorter next season.

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

If I have Josh Allen, all I care about is getting him the ball.Ā  Give him the ball on the 50, on the Bills' 35, on the Bills' 5.Ā  Doesn't matter where.Ā  So, yes, give me a good punt catcher.

If thatā€™s the case and the argument then why bother. Put Reid Ferguson back there for all I care. Wave your arms like itā€™s a fair catch and get out of the way. Who cares?Ā 

Ā 

46 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Harty is averaging like 2 yards per punt return the past few games. I don't think we will miss much. He runs to the left then he runs the right then he gets tackled when he could have just run straight lol

He wouldnā€™t be missed at all. Most useless FA in McBeans tenure.Ā 

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Way to be a useless roster spot imo.Ā 

Ā 

Who else on the roster do you trust most when the game is on the line and we're getting the ball back to make the right decisions back there and field the ball cleanly?

Ā 

Our go-to when we needed a sure thing used to Hyde. Who is next man up if Harty is gone?

Edited by DrDawkinstein

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ā 

Who else on the roster do you trust most when the game is on the line and we're getting the ball back to make the right decisions back there and field the ball cleanly?

Ā 

Our go-to when we needed a sure thing used to Hyde. Who is next man up if Harty is gone?

I would seriously put the towel boy out there to wave his arms in the air and let it fly over his head. I DONT CARE!!!

22 minutes ago, Special K said:

Ā 

Exactly....they could just be giving him three weeks of practice time with the team to give him a leg up for next years training camp. Iā€™m sure the Bills envision a ST ace/ WR4 role for Shorter next season.

Ā 

Might even use his practice time to see what he can do in a ST role.Ā  Could be up for it.Ā  Doesn't even have to go full kamikaze either but even if he's only doing a st role in a real game that helps his conditioning in event we need him at wr due to injury. Seems Bills wrs get beat up somewhat and always good to have known replacements now that the Bills are basically in win or go home mode now.Ā  And with no game film on him they could design up a few set plays where he is the decoy or the beneficiary with Diggs and Davis being the coverage magnets.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by AuntieEm

8 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Ā 

Might even use his practice time to see what he can do in a ST role.Ā  Could be up for it.Ā  Doesn't even have to go full kamikaze either but even if he's only doing a st role in a real game that helps his conditioning in event we need him at wr due to injury. Seems Bills wrs get beat up somewhat and always good to have known replacements now that the Bills are basically in win or go home mode now.

Ā 

Ā 

I think itā€™s just getting him going in case they need him on ST.Ā 

22 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I think itā€™s just getting him going in case they need him on ST.Ā 

Ā 

Most likely yes, but then again thinking outside the box....Ā  Does Shorter have any time playing db like in HS if he played both wr and db? Might be he can help if our dbs are getting banged up.Ā  He plays some ST role while being an emergency in game body at wr or db.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by AuntieEm

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know.Ā  Ā But about a year ago I decided that if I were the coach, what I want in a punt returner is a sure handed guy.Ā  I don't care if he never gains a yard.Ā  One muffed punt is one too many.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Harty really impresses me in that regard.Ā  Ā He's like Hyde back there.Ā  Ā Plus, he actually is a good returner, which for me is purely a plus.Ā Ā 

Ā 

At this point in the season, I'm not going to put someone else back there who hasn't already proven he can catch it like Hardy.Ā 

Ā 

And, by the way, Josh seems to find Hardy every game or two, and turning him loose in space is a good thing.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I'm of the same opinion.Ā  Just catch the ball and don't turn it over.Ā  Know when to let the ball go.Ā  Thats it.Ā  Harty does that.Ā  Look at the Titans/Dolphins game.Ā  Although the Titans pulled off a miracle win, that misplayed punt usually costs the team big.Ā  People act like they don't care about this but then complain when McKenzie was back there and cringed on every punt.

Ā 

Ā 

I honestly forgot Shorter was even on the team lol.

Edited by Scott7975

I wasnā€™t too impressed with Justin Shorter in preseason. Ā He had one decent game if I can recall correctly but also was very inconsistent.

Ā 

As long as there are no serious injuries to the WR, Iā€™d guess that the Bills will shut him down after the window expires

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

This is a weird move. A rookie who hasn't played all year is suddenly going to be on the 53 for the final playoff push and playoffs?

Itā€™s kind of like when we added John Brown. Ā Josh needs a home run threat, or someone catching ball deep upfield. Ā Shorter might be able to provide that. Ā Shorterwas a top recruit, heā€™s big, Ā he has been stashed on IR .

Ā 

If Shorter had a couple good weeks practice- then thatā€™s a great problem. Ā We certainly need help at WR. Ā 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I agree with most about the Special teams stuff, but we don't know how he's looked in practice, or how far he's progressed. Them opening up his window is definitely for a reason. None of us expected Ty Johnson to be getting the kind of work he's getting, but he's earned Brady's trust. Maybe it's similar with shorter. We know he's big, and a long strider, and the book on him at FLorida, is that he was very good at contested catches, so we'll see. Maybe not this week, but if we find ourselves blowing out the Pats or Chargers, he may get an inseason tryout.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I have no idea if this is sarcastic or serious

Serious. A guy that languished on our practice squad (had some injuries) but we moved forward with geriatrics like Beasley and others leaving him snapped up by Giants. Look at Hodginsā€™ statsā€¦Iā€™d say heā€™s a valuable player. If Shorter is ready, letā€™s go!

5 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

If there are no injuries to open up a roster spot, it will be interesting to see who gets cut to make a spot for him.Ā  Harty hasn't done a lot this season, but probably had his best game of the season on Sunday with a decent return and a critical reception.

If anyone Sherfield has been non existent all year.Ā  Harty at least returns kicks

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.