Did "The McDermott Problem" Backfire? Or Work to Perfection.

theRalph

Listening to the players yell out "We got your back, coach!" makes me think Dunne helped the team more than hurt it.

Players have professional pride as well as hefty paychecks.  I know they try hard every game.  But they don't all play full out every minute of every game.  

In a close game, the difference between 98% effort and 99% effort can be meaningful.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 11

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Listening to the players yell out "We got your back, coach!" makes me think Dunne helped the team more than hurt it.

Players have professional pride as well as hefty paychecks.  I know they try hard every game.  But they don't all play full out every minute of every game.  

In a close game, the difference between 98% effort and 99% effort can be meaningful.

To me, Von was a perfect example of this yesterday.  We all know he’s not back to form yet, and has a recent personal incident too.  But when the game was on the line, he was as impactful as we’ve seen all season.  Cook’s inspired play another good example.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Could fool me.

I think first and foremost, Tyler Dunne is a businessman trying to make a living as an enterpreneur selling subscriptions to his blog

I think he acted in his interests as a businessman first and foremost

Capitalism at its finest and worst at the same time.

• Like (+1) 2

One of the first things I thought about yesterday was whether this might act as a catalyst. A kind of "nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills" for the 2020s. But we've seen this movie before. They've had 2 players only meetings, they fired their useless OC, They had a player almost die on the field. Theyve seen star players experience devastating injuries. Is this article really going to be the ACTUAL catalyst for this team to figure itself out and win a SB?? 

• Like (+1) 3

I said before the game that I don't think the article would make a difference either way.  I still think that.  This team played hard all season. Not always the greatest results but it wasn't from lack of effort.  Good to see the team express standing by their coach none the less.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I said before the game that I don't think the article would make a difference either way.  I still think that.  This team played hard all season. Not always the greatest results but it wasn't from lack of effort.  Good to see the team express standing by their coach none the less.

Maybe the biggest difference it will make is in McD’s leadership approach altogether?  I think many noticed he was actually smiling on the sidelines yesterday more than ever before.  As intense as he can be, maybe he’ll take this feedback in positive way and grow from it as a leader.

• Agree 7

21 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

One of the first things I thought about yesterday was whether this might act as a catalyst. A kind of "nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills" for the 2020s. But we've seen this movie before. They've had 2 players only meetings, they fired their useless OC, They had a player almost die on the field. Theyve seen star players experience devastating injuries. Is this article really going to be the ACTUAL catalyst for this team to figure itself out and win a SB?? 

The NFL is odd, the strangest things end up giving teams that little extra edge. Going to see how well the Bills really “circle” against the Cowboys. Best the Boys at home and you have a chance to make the playoffs where anything can happen.

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott might really benefit from that hit-piece.  It's basically a published personnel review (albeit a negatively-biased one) spelling out for McD the specific flaws he needs to work on to repair his relationships with his players and fellow staff members, and directing him to loosen up his approach during gameday.   If McD is truly interested in self-correction and self-improvement (and Pegula is willing to be patient with him), the article is kind of a gift.

And honestly, as much as the article rang true to me and as much as I don't love McDermott, it was totally over the line and unfair to him.  He's got serious flaws but he's not a bad person and he truly wants to be great and help his team win.  Dunne went totally overboard.  I hope it does become a positive for McD, that would be beautiful irony.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Look, you can write anything you want, this is America. But let's be honest, I am sure you can find any number of players, coaches that are not with the Bills anymore to say bad things about McDermott since they are not with the team any more and most likely were cut, let go or fired. I agree with Wayne Arnold, Dunn is trying to get attention for his subscription blog. Is McDermott, perfect, of course not. But he has changed the culture, brought a winning attitude and players now want to come here and actually stay here. Those who are pushing for a new head coach, be careful what you ask for. Remember the days of Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan! How many NFL coaches get fired every year? Would I like to see his defenses finish close games better, absolutely. I also hope the article helps him to do some self reflection and continue to evolve. HIs locker room yelling out "We got your back, Coach" is quite telling! GO BILLS. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

You'd have to be so finely tuned into your body to know what the difference is between 98 and 99% effort. Maybe because I'm fat(ish) and suck at most of what I do, I just can't wrap my head around those close percentages. Speak to me in quarters lol. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Could fool me.

I think first and foremost, Tyler Dunne is a businessman trying to make a living as an enterpreneur selling subscriptions to his blog

I think he acted in his interests as a businessman first and foremost

One thing is certain- Dunne is 1 ugly mfer

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

To me, Von was a perfect example of this yesterday.  We all know he’s not back to form yet, and has a recent personal incident too.  But when the game was on the line, he was as impactful as we’ve seen all season.  Cook’s inspired play another good example.

Until they just forgot he existed 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Why would Dunne be a Bills "fan" when it's reported that his press pass and credentials were pulled some time ago.  I would imagine he has an axe to grind...thereby going after the most Vanilla milk toast coach in the NFL.

I have to wonder where Ernie Adams is these days….this feels almost familiar.  We are doing 4-D chess while juggling chainsaws. 

Edited by Augie

5 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Why would Dunne be a Bills "fan" when it's reported that his press pass and credentials were pulled some time ago.  I would imagine he has an axe to grind...thereby going after the most Vanilla milk toast coach in the NFL.

Not true.  Since he has not been with the BN, he never got them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, theRalph said:

Tyler Dunne is a Bills fan. Did his 20,000 word screed just cement the Bills tighter than any team in the league? 

No…and actually, McD’s D actually blew another game, but was saved by  KC shooting themselves in the foot…😉

So, McD does not get a pass from me, for this game…He just happened to get lucky…And even a broken clock is right twice a day…👍

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

If McD gets blamed when he’s unlucky, he might deserve some credit when he is lucky.  AND, for the record, it was NOT LUCK. He WAS clearly Offside and all the other stuff mentioned. McD is given no credit when they win, and always gets blamed when they lose. 

He’s not perfect by any means, but I’ll give the man credit for what they accomplish. It’s just a damn shame we lost a couple of those ugly games. Let’s finish the season as the team we can be. 

4 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Screw that. Dunne’s story was a character assassination piece pure and simple. Bush league

yep, he's no different than Stephen A. Smith or any other "content creator" who gets paid by the click or viewer count.  Be as arrogant, boastful and outrageous as you can, screw the humans involved, they are just a means to a paycheck.  F Tyler Dunne and the horse he rode in on.   Even Joe Marino, who I thought was pretty straight up, fell for the "McD's a bad guy" storyline.   McD screwed up, manned up and immediately apologized to anyone who would listen, but guys like Dunne grab it as a way to make a buck.  f him. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think it did to much extent, but we did learn that all the players support McDermott 100%. I don't think anything changed in that regard. Dunne's article made many fans question the players' loyalty to McDermott and that at least got put to bed.

On to the next game.

I think the thing cementing this team together is desperation. Josh said something postgame to the effect of "win or go home." They all know it's crunch time and all these games are essentially playoff games. It's do or die and the whole team has bought into that mindset.

2 hours ago, Bills Bud said:

Terrorism support and domestic violence shouldn’t bring a team together. Sean and Von still need to go or winning this season is tainted 

Just like murder tainted the Ravens Super Bowl win? I mean Ray Lewis didn't stay with the team after or make the HOF oh wait...

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't think it did to much extent, but we did learn that all the players support McDermott 100%. I don't think anything changed in that regard. Dunne's article made many fans question the players' loyalty to McDermott and that at least got put to bed.

On to the next game.

I think the thing cementing this team together is desperation. Josh said something postgame to the effect of "win or go home." They all know it's crunch time and all these games are essentially playoff games. It's do or die and the whole team has bought into that mindset.

link?

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

McDermott might really benefit from that hit-piece.  It's basically a published personnel review (albeit a negatively-biased one) spelling out for McD the specific flaws he needs to work on to repair his relationships with his players and fellow staff members, and directing him to loosen up his approach during gameday.   If McD is truly interested in self-correction and self-improvement (and Pegula is willing to be patient with him), the article is kind of a gift.

And honestly, as much as the article rang true to me and as much as I don't love McDermott, it was totally over the line and unfair to him.  He's got serious flaws but he's not a bad person and he truly wants to be great and help his team win.  Dunne went totally overboard.  I hope it does become a positive for McD, that would be beautiful irony.

A nice first step would be for McDermott to take some (any) accountability. 

Outside of Daboll’s departure due to promotion, McDermott has fired/forced out every coach around him. 

From 13 seconds, to 12 men, to the plethora of idiotic red flags and time outs, to inexplicable benchings that hurt the team … he’s not once raised his hand and said - “yeah, that was on me.”

If we were year tow or three into this regime, I’d be giving McDermott the benefit of the doubt. 

But we are not. We’re on the other side of a decade.

There is one common denominator not wearing pads on the sideline. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think dunnes article is crap personally. I think some former players and coaches exaggerated certain situations greatly. Why would a player like Bease or brown wanna come back if McDermott was/is so terrible to play for? McDermott and beane have brought multiple players back over the years. That doesn't happen when players hate the team they play for 

3 hours ago, Bills Bud said:

Terrorism support and domestic violence shouldn’t bring a team together. Sean and Von still need to go or winning this season is tainted 

He doesn't support terrorism. He made a dumb comparison. We've all made dumb comments but since he's losing football games we'll use anything to get rid of him. Maybe you and I should be fired from our jobs too since I know for a fact we're not perfect. This kind of black and white thinking is why everyone is so divided. We won't even look for actual context, fact, remorse or growth in anyone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.