Toney saved us from another Billsy moment…

LabattBlue

27 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

I love how when the Bills make a mistake, it’s that the Bills messed up and lost a game they should have won.  But when another team messes up, it’s"we got lucky we had a call go our way"  They didn't call a PI on Diggs.  I don't give an F Von was offside.

Bills fan self-loathing syndrome 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Simon said:

No way it was designed like that specifically.

They may practice keeping yourself available in late game situations for something like that, but Kelce ran 10 yards and made two cuts before he saw Toney and threw it.

It really was one of the more aware plays I recall seeing. Incredible. Between that and Murray’s catch, you would have a very hard time saying any two improvisation plays in one game were more incredible. One didn’t count and I don’t think the Murray catch should have counted. But still, it was the most basic parts of the plays that made them not count. Just insane. 

Edited by Mikie2times

1 minute ago, Mikie2times said:

It really was one of the more aware plays I recall seeing. Incredible.

Unreal awareness of the flow of the field while he's also on the move.

I think it explains a lot bout his preternatural ability to find holes in zones.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Nope. That frame is after the ball is snapped and the blue line is not official.

IMO this is a shining example of how instant replay has made the game worse. If we go the Zapruder route on every single play, I have no doubt we'll find something to complain about on a large number of plays. Replay is a necessary evil but the slo-mo replays do more harm than good.

• Like (+1) 2

It was an obvious penalty on Toney. Mahomes complains how it shouldn’t be called because it didn’t impact the play but how many 5 yard illegal contact calls has KC gotten over the years that had no barring on the play. Can’t have it both ways.

Edited by TFBillsfan
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

What a knucklehead.  He not only saved the Bills season and maybe McD’s job, but he also negated what may have been a Mt Rushmore Billsy moment. 

Buffalo still would’ve had 1:20 and 3 Time outs to work with so it wasn’t a guaranteed loss, but it was stupid. Almost as stupid as having 13 men on the field during the game winning FG. 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I would have liked our chances with Allen having the ball with 1:12 on the clock and all 3 TO's.  Allen has delivered over and over again in that situation and the D usually folded. Honestly I was HOPING that TD would stand.

IMO, Bills would have went down the field and scored a TD

That is possible… but the entire second half the scored 6 points.. so wouldn’t have been easy and Allen was under duress the entire second half on almost every pass play. 

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, Simon said:

You missed one of the most hysterically funny plays in Bills history. :cry:

Indeed. I don't even remember what I had to do. My daughter just got home with my wife and getting ready for bed so I think I was making a bottle 

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

What a knucklehead.  He not only saved the Bills season and maybe McD’s job, but he also negated what may have been a Mt Rushmore Billsy moment. 

Something went our way.  I'll take it.  I could over anal lise this but I wouldn't want people to get butt hurt. YAY ! Bills win!

1 hour ago, technobot said:

Perhaps he broke the curse or whatever is hanging over the Bills.

But yes, an all-timer for sure.

Curse you say?

Wycheck sadly passed today, and Buffalo survives a crazy lateral play.

Franky nudged God and whispered "back in 2000, it was forward. Never been able to tell anyone that. Do the right thing Big Guy." And ammendments were made.

Curse lifted. Superbowl!

43 minutes ago, Simon said:

No way it was designed like that specifically.

They may practice keeping yourself available in late game situations for something like that, but Kelce ran 10 yards and made two cuts before he saw Toney and threw it.

Maybe someone else remembers this. I saw this exact play, just at a smaller scale 2-3weeks ago.

Might have been college but think it was pros. Anyone remember? This makes me think it was wrote up as an option of sorts. Reid is good, I don't think that was ad libbed

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

That is possible… but the entire second half the scored 6 points.. so wouldn’t have been easy and Allen was under duress the entire second half on almost every pass play. 

Allen would have put on his cape like he does so often in those situations. Also the way they play D typically changes in those situations when they are playing the clock and knowing they are automatically playing 4 downs not 3.

8 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Curse you say?

Franky nudged God and whispered "back in 2000, it was forward. Never been able to tell anyone that. Do the right thing Big Guy." And ammendments were made.

Curse lifted. Superbowl!

Maybe someone else remembers this. I saw this exact play, just at a smaller scale 2-3weeks ago.

Might have been college but think it was pros. Anyone remember? This makes me think it was wrote up as an option of sorts. Reid is good, I don't think that was ad libbed

Honestly I wonder why it doesn't happen more in those situations.

Edited by Big Turk

8 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Curse you say?

Curse lifted. Superbowl!

The Chargers ran it but it’s never delayed like that. Usually it’s catch and lateral. It possible it was a play and Kelce gained way more yardage than they thought he would get and it delayed the lateral but I think we would know that by now from the pressers

9 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Toney had a good game in the SB so I think that buys him a few more games.

He had 1 catch for 5 yards. It was ONE punt return. He has since cost them 2 or 3 regular season games. Not sure it was worth it.

44 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

IMO this is a shining example of how instant replay has made the game worse. If we go the Zapruder route on every single play, I have no doubt we'll find something to complain about on a large number of plays. Replay is a necessary evil but the slo-mo replays do more harm than good.

I said same thing today. Game took 5hpurs it felt like... and were overturning original calls, where it takes 10mins scrutiny to arrive at?

How can it be both 10min case study and clear enough to overturn.

Here's what I'd do... 1 team challenge a game, keep them inside 2min drills with upstairs call. Refs get max 2mins once they start tape, if it takes more than 2mins, it's not clear. Streamline this.

Even better If you apply all this AND use a command center.

Replay should be for egregious absurd bad calls to be fixed, or atleast a quick fix on less vital challenges. 

It's made the game worse and the calls are no better. And fans are even less clear on rules then ever before, we just knew what a catch was or wasn't. A little common sense and bones of rules had everyone on same page.

Now we have to declare a state of emergency, bag the grass as evidence, check for DNA Matches... meanwhile 10million fans at home are subjected to a proctologist exam

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

The Chargers ran it but it’s never delayed like that. Usually it’s catch and lateral. It possible it was a play and Kelce gained way more yardage than they thought he would get and it delayed the lateral but I think we would know that by now from the pressers

No the one I saw was 2 outside wrs on opposite sides. Each one ran an in route on opposite sides. Once catch was made it was much more a cross field pass then a standard hook n lateral.

Texans run it maybe? The play was For a long first down conversion

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I said same thing today. Game took 5hpurs it felt like... and were overturning original calls, where it takes 10mins scrutiny to arrive at?

How can it be both 10min case study and clear enough to overturn.

Here's what I'd do... 1 team challenge a game, keep them inside 2min drills with upstairs call. Refs get max 2mins once they start tape, if it takes more than 2mins, it's not clear. Streamline this.

Even better If you apply all this AND use a command center.

Replay should be for egregious absurd bad calls to be fixed, or atleast a quick fix on less vital challenges. 

It's made the game worse and the calls are no better. And fans are even less clear on rules then ever before, we just knew what a catch was or wasn't. A little common sense and bones of rules had everyone on same page.

Now we have to declare a state of emergency, bag the grass as evidence, check for DNA Matches... meanwhile 10million fans at home are subjected to a proctologist exam

No the one I saw was 2 outside wrs on opposite sides. Each one ran an in route on opposite sides. Once catch was made it was much more a cross field pass then a standard hook n lateral.

Texans run it maybe? The play was For a long first down conversion

This deserves more than just an awesome.  

I guess I'm on a crusade cuz I just made this comment in another thread - the most sensible solution I've ever heard is to eliminate slo-mo from replay reviews - if it isn't obvious in a real time replay let it stand. It'll never happen, but that's the best solution I've ever heard.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

What makes this whole thing so outrageous to me is that wasn’t a 4th down play or a last second play…mahomes was calm and collected and had plenty of chances to pick up a first down leading up to a fg or a td.  

he was only retroactively mad when he failed to do so.  The bills defense absolutely got a stop that they are getting apparently no credit for 

also the offense had plenty of time to march down for a game winning td so it was far from over either way 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

This deserves more than just an awesome.  

I guess I'm on a crusade cuz I just made this comment in another thread - the most sensible solution I've ever heard is to eliminate slo-mo from replay reviews - if it isn't obvious in a real time replay let it stand. It'll never happen, but that's the best solution I've ever heard.

If it takes 5 minutes of super slo mo replays to figure it out, call stands as called. If it’s extremely obvious on the first TV replay and 95 percent of the viewing audience knows it, that needs to be called. For example, missed facemasks, obvious holding, stepping out of bounds, intentional grounding, horse collar tackles etc

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

“Billsy” moment.  Who talks like that?   So ridiculous.

Besides there would have been 1:15 and 3 timeouts left to win the game.  Far from over

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Zag20 said:

If it takes 5 minutes of super slo mo replays to figure it out, call stands as called. If it’s extremely obvious on the first TV replay and 95 percent of the viewing audience knows it, that needs to be called. For example, missed facemasks, obvious holding, stepping out of bounds, intentional grounding, horse collar tackles etc

I completely - and respectably disagree. Far too many times we have 5 minute slo-mo replays to 'figure it out' and the announcers, the highly respected former official, the viewing audience and the guy who actually makes the decision all have a differing opinion. It's an exercise in futility. Get the egregiously bad calls right and live with the rest - we're stuck with living with the rest either way. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I completely - and respectably disagree. Far too many times we have 5 minute slo-mo replays to 'figure it out' and the announcers, the highly respected former official, the viewing audience and the guy who actually makes the decision all have a differing opinion. It's an exercise in futility. Get the egregiously bad calls right and live with the rest - we're stuck with living with the rest either way. 

I think we actually agree. The very close calls that require reply with 10 shots in slo mo need to go. But at the same time, you can’t have blatant things that aren’t called and aren’t reviewable. For example, that blatant PI in the saints-rams game from several years ago could happen again today with no recourse. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, wppete said:

That wasn't Offside. The blue line isnt exact. The angle is bad.  and the dude purposely took that screengrab as the snap is already in motion

8 hours ago, qwksilver said:

Chief should not have traded for Toney on the 1st place.

I remember people being mad that we didn't

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.