Bills @ Chiefs Postgame Thread

Simon

27 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

no

this is the comment i responded to

ffs

@Mango will you please help this poster out

Unsure what I am supposed to suss out. 

I said the conversation around this game would be drastically different if not for the Offside. Specifically Allen not seeing Davis wide open. 

You said it should be around the defense allowing KC to score. 

@Beck Water is saying that two things can be true at one time. 

14 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I took a screen grab of the Offside with a bit lower angle.  Not that it was necessary because we all know he was Offside but I wanted to anyhow.  Sorry its faded but I took it from NFL.com highlights of the game and when I pause it does that.  You can click it to enlarge.

GBFXAcsXYAADWtr?format=jpg&name=4096x409

You can't really tell from the highlights but I'd love to see the all 22 because Toney ran into the guy covering Kelce.  That is probably why he got so open but the broadcast doesn't show enough to see.

He's probably supposed to be about where the WR on the right side of the line is. If that's the case, Toney is a full-yard forward. Also, the ball is at the 49 1/2 yard line, and Toney is on the 49. 1/2 yard offside. I don't think anyone disputes that. The KC argument is <whiny voice>"But mom, it was so pretty and I want it and I want it now!!! And our best friend Tay Tay was in the house and you didn't let us win!!! Whyyyyyy!" </whiny voice>

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Then he lied in his postgame yesterday when he started complaining about the calls in the Packers game saying he didn't complain about them.

Right in the run up to the game learning about Kelce's comments about the ref of the game thought they might have a problem with that particular ref. These really loud comments are the kind of ones that get you a problem with more than just that one.

I find the talk of not calling the play because it effects the highligt reel infuriating. Like what? You can't throw a flag on a blatant call because Travis Kelce needs to be able to have this play as part of his legacy? 

That is insane. 

The league needs full time officials. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Unsure what I am supposed to suss out. 

I said the conversation around this game would be drastically different if not for the Offside. Specifically Allen not seeing Davis wide open. 

You said it should be around the defense allowing KC to score. 

@Beck Water is saying that two things can be true at one time. 

I was trying to make the argument that both would have validity as rationale for why we lost and maybe focusing on the one as opposed to the other might be inconsistent

Maybe that wasn't clear, if not apologies

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I was trying to make the argument that both would have validity as rationale for why we lost and maybe focusing on the one as opposed to the other might be inconsistent

Maybe that wasn't clear, if not apologies

Meh it is fine. I am more letting you two argue about this one.

This is the sort of thing I will rally around in a loss "or string of losses" or a critique when the team is winning a lot, but also misfiring a lot. Today I am happy to be alive. 

3 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

He's probably supposed to be about where the WR on the right side of the line is. If that's the case, Toney is a full-yard forward. Also, the ball is at the 49 1/2 yard line, and Toney is on the 49. 1/2 yard offside. I don't think anyone disputes that. The KC argument is <whiny voice>"But mom, it was so pretty and I want it and I want it now!!! And our best friend Tay Tay was in the house and you didn't let us win!!! Whyyyyyy!" </whiny voice>

I think one think generally missed in the analysis thus far is: why did Toney line up offside? I'd postulate that it's because his job in that play was to get out in front of Kelce to set the pick, the closer he is to the LOS (or over it) the quicker he gets into position for that. That was probably what he was solely focused on, finding the guy with coverage on Kelce to go get in his way, and not thinking about where he was relative to the LOS.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I checked out the national media clips at my lunch break and I was actually pleasantly surprised. Apart from one homer (keeping an eye out for Nick Wright too) the vast majority of opinion appears to be that Toney was absolutely Offside, and was such a massive head case that if he'd done the bare minimum basics he could have avoided it and the play would have stood.

You know it's bad when Stephen A Smith, Keyshawn Johnson, Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless are all agreeing on something. Smith and Bayless in particular went after Reid and Mahommes for being out of line.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Past three years*. They haven’t beaten us in the regular season in a long time now.  Mahomes has never beaten us at arrowhead in the regular season

13 seconds kind of saved their bacon…Josh and the bills owning the chiefs would be a big story if it wasn’t for that 

we’d be 4-0 against them since the 2020 season all at arrowhead if it wasn’t for that 

I said the past two years "as well", meaning "in addition to" this latest win. Yes, we have beaten them 3 years in a row in the regular season, now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You have proven by your actions that you can’t be reasonable.  We know you are extreme negative, you don’t have to keep highlighting it.  

I have just come back and really haven't been negative whatsoever. 

You couldn't wait to attack I see. That's fine because I'm not here to fight and I'm still high after the Bills win. 

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

They do call the RT.  He's had 15 penalties this season including 7 false start (which is a dead ball foul thus supercedes Offside) and 1 offsetting.

Thing is, it's like DBs mugging the receiver, even if they're called for DPI or DH it's not called nearly as often as they do it. 

But the Chiefs have been (IMHO) getting the "star treatment" on penalties IMHO, thus their reaction I guess.

They call the RT when they feel like it. If they called every time he did it he'd stop or be on the bench.

My point is everyone will look at that image and debate this and that and still completely ignore the RT in the backfield because they do it so much it's now normal

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I try to empathize as much as I can in these situations.  As in, I try to think how I would react if it happened to the Bills.  I'd be pissed at the WR, and only the WR.  Now, if the receiver looked down to the ref and asked if he was good, and the flag was still thrown, I'd be pissed.  But that didn't happen here and we've seen this called before.

What's crazy to me is how much the Chiefs are losing their mind over this, compared to how the Bills handled the Eagles game where there were much more egregious calls that absolutely affected the game.  Also, Mahomes didn't seem to lose his mind until he failed on the next 3 plays.  To me, it shows a lack of maturity and ownership.

With that being said, it's kinda nice to be on the other side of these situations for a change.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

Can we make a little more out of the fact that the Chiefs ran three plays after that call and Mahomes failed miserably on every single one of them?

Given that he was still steaming and irrational after the turnover on downs, during the postgame handshakes, and even during the postgame presser... it's fair to conclude that the call was inside his head while he was supposed to be getting 15 yards for a first down and a shot at a FG or even a TD.

If this was Josh the narrative would have been "Allen let that call get into his head instead of focusing on what he had to do next."

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yes and technically they should be calling the RT for illegal formation as well.  Dude is not on the ball.  He has been getting away with that and false starts all year long. I mean he gets penalized a lot for it but he still keeps doing it with no calls too.

It's a little crazy the league has let them continue to get away with it after all the very public bad optics the first game. Not sure if there is some process for a team to notify the league about something illegal their next opponent does to look out for - and for the league to caution that team they will be calling it.  In that case it's simple - before the game you tell Reid we are going to be looking that your OL is lined up correctly.  If the aren't the first play from scrimmage you throw the flag - then the precedent for how you are going to call it is set.  If they don't adjust just keep throwing flags until they do.  Of all the things to enforce, lining up properly should be the most unambiguous and easiest to enforce.  Makes no sense 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I have just come back and really haven't been negative whatsoever. 

You couldn't wait to attack I see. That's fine because I'm not here to fight and I'm still high after the Bills win. 

I am attacking you asking why you X every single positive thread last week while in timeout?  Anyone that said we would beat KC, you X.

You're right, those are positive reactions.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

Mahomes was seriously upset that his buddy Travis Kelce didn't get that throwback TD to win the game.

Ole Patty took it out on the refs instead of the stupidity of his own player. I now wonder how much longer KT will be a Chief.

Can’t imagine how upset he’ll be about all the memes mocking him if he was that upset about a legitimate call lol

Since the scaletipper for the league has for some time been nonfootball issues, Mahomes may simply have been trying to emphasize how happy ignoring an obvious penalty would have made the biggest celebrity in the stadium.

45 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

The line of scrimmage was the 49 yard line.

2nd & 10 at BUF 49

(1:12 - 4th) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes pass deep right to T.Kelce to BUF 24 for 25 yards. Lateral to K.Toney for 24 yards, TOUCHDOWN NULLIFIED by Penalty. PENALTY on KC-K.Toney, Offensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 49 - No Play.

The official is straddling the line and the yard marker is on the blue tv line.

Toney's foot is not past the line of scrimmage.

If the call was Offside,  just what is the NFL definition?

Edited by beer can shower
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I am attacking you asking why you X every single positive thread last week while in timeout?  Anyone that said we would beat KC, you X.

You're right, those are positive reactions.

I didn't think the Bills would win. I was Xing those responses that iterated a Bills win. It's all I could do to display that i thought the Bills would lose. I was obviously wrong and so happy about that. 

Bills playoff hopes are still alive and another meaningful game ahead. 

6 minutes ago, beer can shower said:

2nd & 10 at BUF 49

(1:12 - 4th) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes pass deep right to T.Kelce to BUF 24 for 25 yards. Lateral to K.Toney for 24 yards, TOUCHDOWN NULLIFIED by Penalty. PENALTY on KC-K.Toney, Offensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 49 - No Play.

If any part of you is in the neutral zone, you are offside. The center is the only person allowed to be in the neutral zone, which is an imaginary strip the width of the ball and extending from sideline to sideline. 

The exact definition, from the NFL rule book, is:

SECTION 20 - OFFSIDE

A player is Offside when any part of his body or his person is in the Neutral Zone, or is beyond his free kick line, or fair catch kick line when the ball is put in play, unless he is a holder of a placekick for a free kick (6-1-3-b-1) or fair catch kick (11-4-3), or a kicker (6-1-3-b-2). The snapper is offside if any part of his body is beyond the neutral zone. The kicker is not offside unless his kicking foot is beyond his Restraining Line when the ball is kicked.

• Like (+1) 2

• Simon unpinned this topic
28 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Certainly looks like he’s going nowhere.

Despite the win, I wish the Bills would make a change. I know it's not going to happen. Now, really isn't the time for this discussion in the middle of a highly contested playoff battle. 

Let's focus on the Cowboys who looked like world beaters last night. Curious if either team has a letdown? Seems more likely the Cowboys do than the semi desperate Bills team at home. 

Bills are very good on the road and the Cowboys away aren't the same team as home. Setting up to be an epic battle that the whole football community will be likely watching. Exciting stuff...A Bills win would definitely up my confidence. 

23 minutes ago, beer can shower said:

2nd & 10 at BUF 49

See page 17 of "Patty is not happy  -- boo hoo" thread. A view from high up shows Toney's foot clearly ahead of the ball.

It’s kind of a shame that today instead of everyone talking about us winning tough gritty game it’s all about Mahomes and the Chiefs getting *ucked by the refs….Join the club Chiefs cause we’ve been getting *ucked like that for years and no one feels sorry for us….

Edited by Bimmer323i
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Despite the win, I wish the Bills would make a change. I know it's not going to happen. Now, really isn't the time for this discussion in the middle of a highly contested playoff battle. 

Let's focus on the Cowboys who looked like world beaters last night. Curious if either team has a letdown? Seems more likely the Cowboys do than the semi desperate Bills team at home. 

Bills are very good on the road and the Cowboys away aren't the same team as home. Setting up to be an epic battle that the whole football community will be likely watching. Exciting stuff...A Bills win would definitely up my confidence. 

Isn't the game if Buffalo?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.