Sources say ZERO PERCENT chance McD is fired

Brand J

24 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I disagree about Beane. I have plenty of criticism on some of his picks and moves, but the team he gave McD this year, despite the injuries,  should in no way be 6-6. The losses to the Jets, Pats, Broncos and Eagles is on the coaches only. Beane had zero to do with those embarrassing displays. At minimum we should have 10 wins.

9 or 10 wins minimum, agreed. No way should we be looking up at the Browns, Colts, Broncos, Texans, and Steelers after 12 weeks. The majority of those teams don’t even have a QB. Most would also agree that coming into the season we wouldn’t be looking up at the Dolphins, Jaguars, and Ravens after 12 weeks - unless Josh was injured for a portion of the season. KC, for all their subpar play, will almost always find a way to win in the end. Wish the Bills had that knack. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 11/30/2023 at 3:13 PM, May Day 10 said:

I believe this a lot more than Florio shooting from the hip.

I think this team would have to endure a colossal melt-down in the locker room and on the field the final 5 games in order for any coaching change to be considered

I feel the support is warranted. If I remember correctly, heading into this season only one other team had more wins than the Bills since 2019 and that was the Chiefs. That says something both about McD and Beane. 

We don’t know the inner circle dynamics and few do. I feel the only way McD would get fired is if there was a complete meltdown beyond just losing 8 games one season. The meltdown would have to be within the locker room as well.

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

I always love the "(usually anonymous) sources say..." stuff.  You can usually discount what follows.

Exactly. The question is: How can he NOT be fired if he doesn't win out, which he almost certainly will not.

He loses all the big games, and built the team ass backwards other than Josh Allen who he lucked into. 

I wish that they would fire him today.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

He’s among the most successful regular season coaches of all time with his win%. He’s also becoming one of the most unsuccessful coaches of all time as it relates to regular season winning% and postseason results. We didn’t have success in either area for about 25 years. So I get why some people still feel he should be the guy, but given our history in big games it shouldn't surprise even his biggest supporters why fans are very worried this is a Marty situation. The odds as pointed out by many are actually getting to be pretty favorable that is the case. 

Edited by Mikie2times

20 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Exactly. The question is: How can he NOT be fired if he doesn't win out, which he almost certainly will not.

He loses all the big games, and built the team ass backwards other than Josh Allen who he lucked into. 

I'll give him until the end of the season, to see whether they can win-out and make the playoffs.  Anything less and it's time to say thanks and best of luck.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Why exactly? Josh Allen is the most expensive employee in the entire Pegula empire. You don’t think the guy who’s paying him all that money doesn’t have an open door policy when it comes to his opinion? Or is it just the way the original poster phrased it? 

Maybe it's the way the OP put it.  And maybe Terry has an open door policty, we don't know.  If Terry asked Josh what he thinks he should be honest. But to go to the owner and say it's him or, me that would be prima Dona Russell Wilson stuff.  Can't have that.  Aaron Rodgers did that and they traded him. Terry might very well do the same. No player is greater than the team.  I don't think Josh is that way.  Coaching decisions are above his massive pay grade.  If he wants to hire and fire coaches buy his own team.  In the meantime play your very best and have a good attitude and provide leadership for the coach he has which is what he's doing. 

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Negan said:

Sure he's going to keep McDermott over a generational QB.  

I've seen a lot of posts in my life on different messages boards, Twitter, family dinners, Facebook, drinking with buddies, but this takes the cake.

What kind of cake? I like chocolate with butter cream frosting.

33 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Maybe it's the way the OP put it.  And maybe Terry has an open door policty, we don't know.  If Terry asked Josh what he thinks he should be honest. But to go to the owner and say it's him or, me that would be prima Dona Russell Wilson stuff.  Can't have that.  Aaron Rodgers did that and they traded him. Terry might very well do the same. No player is greater than the team.  I don't think Josh is that way.  Coaching decisions are above his massive pay grade.  If he wants to hire and fire coaches buy his own team.  In the meantime play your very best and have a good attitude and provide leadership for the coach he has which is what he's doing. 

Interested to know how you define massive pay grade

Allen is 9th overall highest paid QB in the league which is a bargain any way you slice it. And the Bills have him at 11th highest cap hit for 2023. 

This regime has completely and utterly failed to capitalize on the immense production/salary ratio he's provided

At the end of this season, McDermott will be retained as HC and the following things will happen:

1.  McDermott will hand over the DC position to someone else so that he can focus on HC. I wish it would be someone from outside the organization, but it will probably be Eric Washington.

2.  Bills will replace Matthew Smiley as ST coach.

3.  Joe Brady will be hired as full time OC.

McDermott back. All new staff from start of this season.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Doc said:

I always love the "(usually anonymous) sources say..." stuff.  You can usually discount what follows.

Probably not in this case.  TG is very well connected and a very conscientious reporter.  

49 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Only way I see it is if they collapse and lose out, or if the team leaders go to Brandon or Terry and say he’s lost the locker room.

That might do it.  The only was I see McD being fired as well, and I do not think it is likely. 

To my mind, McD's biggest mistake was going with Dorsey as OC in '22, and then sticking with him after such a disappointing end to the season. It really shouldn't have taken this long to see the writing on the wall. 

I think Pegula is right not to ax McD, but I do hope he is going to be involved in pressing for a top-tier OC. One Bills Drive is sorely lacking an offensive mind.

9 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Because there are plenty of reasons why this team lost that are not the coach

Whenever you have a huge proportion of your salary, cap, sitting on ir then it’s gonna be very hard to win games

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

What kind of cake? I like chocolate with butter cream frosting.

Team cream cheese here.

4 hours ago, vincec said:

At the end of this season, McDermott will be retained as HC and the following things will happen:

1.  McDermott will hand over the DC position to someone else so that he can focus on HC. I wish it would be someone from outside the organization, but it will probably be Eric Washington.

I like Brady as full-time OC (at minimum). Leaves room to promote him to Assistant Head Coach after next year to squeeze out one more year before he moves on (in best case scenario). Not sure if there is precedent for AHCs on BOTH sides of the ball (if I'm remembering correctly that Washington already got promoted into the AHC void after Frazier's departure)?

11 hours ago, BernieBill said:

"He turned the franchise around" ... the guy eked out a 9-7 season at his highest possible motivation as a 1st year head coach ... then they drafted Josh Allen.  Josh Allen turned the franchise around, not Sean ******* McDermott.

It's like people forget it wasn't belichick and his patriot way. It was the princess Brady and his cheating. 

The coach only does so much. And belichick did a hell of a lot more than McDermott

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Team cream cheese here.

I like Brady as full-time OC (at minimum). Leaves room to promote him to Assistant Head Coach after next year to squeeze out one more year before he moves on (in best case scenario). Not sure if there is precedent for AHCs on BOTH sides of the ball (if I'm remembering correctly that Washington already got promoted into the AHC void after Frazier's departure)?

Eric Washington needs to go as well. Not getting value or growth out of that high draft, expensive D Line

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

He’s among the most successful regular season coaches of all time with his win%. He’s also becoming one of the most unsuccessful coaches of all time as it relates to regular season winning% and postseason results. We didn’t have success in either area for about 25 years. So I get why some people still feel he should be the guy, but given our history in big games it shouldn't surprise even his biggest supporters why fans are very worried this is a Marty situation. The odds as pointed out by many are actually getting to be pretty favorable that is the case. 

This IS a Marty / Marvin situation. He csnt defende when it matters most and unless Allen becomes  superman, he can't win in the post season.  Hell 13 seconds shoes even when Allen puts on the Red cape, McDermott can **** it up.

He just has to go.

5 hours ago, vincec said:

If I were Allen I would tell Terry no thank you. McDermott system sucks.  Dump this big nickle crap and let a DC run his own defense.

No say in the draft, and sure ad hell nothing other than WR in round 1 period.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

To my mind, McD's biggest mistake was going with Dorsey as OC in '22, and then sticking with him after such a disappointing end to the season. It really shouldn't have taken this long to see the writing on the wall. 

I think Pegula is right not to ax McD, but I do hope he is going to be involved in pressing for a top-tier OC. One Bills Drive is sorely lacking an offensive mind.

Who is a top tier OC? Why isn’t it Joe Brady? It might be. It might not be. The offense isn’t the issue, it’s the decision making and clock management at the end of games, mostly on the defensive side of the ball.

Edited by Zag20
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Zag20 said:

Who is a top tier OC? Why isn’t it Joe Brady? It might be. It might not be. The offense isn’t the issue, it’s the decision making and clock management at the end of games, mostly on the defensive side of the ball.

And the drops.  And the penalties.  And running the wrong routes.  

there has been a lot of issues throughout this season.  LOTS.  

I’m not disagreeing with the premise of your post.  McD has been a big problem, especially at the end of games (zero blitz anyone?) but there has been several issues in offense this year too.  Which should also come down on the HC.  Even more reason he should be replaced.  

oh well.  Hopefully he can prove us wrong next year

Edited by NewEra
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Team cream cheese here.

CC frosting really only works on carrot, spice or red velvet.

Love it though.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m not disagreeing with the premise of your post.  McD has been a big problem, especially at the end of games (zero blitz anyone?) but there has been several issues in offense this year too.  Which should also come down on the HC.  Even more reason he should be replaced.  

Whee.

Sounds great.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

A lot of things he preaches as his main principles of coaching (discipline, etc) are not showing up on the field.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Zag20 said:

A lot of things he preaches as his main principles of coaching (discipline, etc) are not showing up on the field.

He seems to be the type of coach who likes practice better than the games. He seems to make personnel decisions inconsistent with what the fans see in games all the time. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

He seems to be the type of coach who likes practice better than the games. He seems to make personnel decisions inconsistent with what the fans see in games all the time. 

Yeah he talks out of both sides of his mouth.  Preaches all this humble, hungry, Process nonsense...yet his defense shows zero discipline. We lead the NFL in penalties.  Taking so damn long to realize why Diggs was so pissed off last year (Dorsey) probably cost us this season.  Trying to turn Josh into someone he wasn't was pure stupidity. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Eric Washington needs to go as well. Not getting value or growth out of that high draft, expensive D Line

We are literally about to set a new record for sackS

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah he talks out of both sides of his mouth.  Preaches all this humble, hungry, Process nonsense...yet his defense shows zero discipline. We lead the NFL in penalties.  Taking so damn long to realize why Diggs was so pissed off last year (Dorsey) probably cost us this season.  Trying to turn Josh into someone he wasn't was pure stupidity. 

Do we really need the league and penalties?

9 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

CC frosting really only works on carrot, spice or red velvet.

Eh.  There’s a cream cheese-containing buttercream frosting that’s a pretty common frosting and decorating icing.  I find it hard to work with but my friend uses it all the time.  Her signature cake is white chocolate with white chocolate ganache filling.

Edited by Beck Water

On 12/2/2023 at 7:46 PM, Zag20 said:

I think that Brady is auditioning for that job right now till the end of the season so far so good

3 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Great sack record run except when we need one or a run stop to seal the game we fall flat.

yup, i can remember when we were so bad, i was watching the colts almost every week. their d line wouldn't show anything spectacular all day, but mathis and freeney could get a sack every time they needed it at the end of the 4th qtr. before that, they just got the job done, and of course bob sanders was all over the place.

now we do a great job of killing the passer in the first qtr. I don't know. maybe mcdermott is not the problem. maybe we just need to go and get bob sanders. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, NewEra said:

I've been hoping he proved me wrong for years' now as all I care is the Bills win.😜

I'm hoping as Pegula watches the 2023/24 opportunity slip away if things go further south, that he sees what a blown opportunity this was and that McD was primarily responsible.

NE has 2 wins this year and drove 75 yards to beat Buffalo..... 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I've been hoping he proved me wrong for years' now as all I care is the Bills win.😜

I'm hoping as Pegula watches the 2023/24 opportunity slip away if things go further south, that he sees what a blown opportunity this was and that McD was primarily responsible.

NE has 2 wins this year and drove 75 yards to beat Buffalo..... 

If not this year, then definitely next year. Pretty soon the Bills are going to have to sell tickets and PSL fees at the new stadium. I live 20 minutes from MetLife and have Jets tickets. The last year at Giants Stadium I was paying $1700 for tickets and parking. First year at MetLife I started paying $3700 for the same thing as well as PSL fees. A $2000 increase and my increase wasn't even the most expensive. Terry knows he need a winning product for the huge increase in prices that he wants Bills fans to pay.

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

If not this year, then definitely next year. Pretty soon the Bills are going to have to sell tickets and PSL fees at the new stadium. I live 20 minutes from MetLife and have Jets tickets. The last year at Giants Stadium I was paying $1700 for tickets and parking. First year at MetLife I started paying $3700 for the same thing as well as PSL fees. A $2000 increase and my increase wasn't even the most expensive. Terry knows he need a winning product for the huge increase in prices that he wants Bills fans to pay.

Unfortunately this is the year to fire McD as his fingerprints are all over every loss and decision made this year (game plans and calls).  If they lose the next two weeks, I can see a scenario where he loses the locker room and forces Terry's hand.

2024/25 I see no way with Allen that they aren't a playoff team again, but the goal is to win the Super Bowl and like others, I expect when push comes to shove McD will come up short and as long as Playoffs Pegula won't make a change. 

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.